by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 946 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: self publishing or getting a publisher? [Re: ulf] #112637
02/19/07 17:44
02/19/07 17:44
Germany
F
fogman Offline
Expert
fogman  Offline
Expert
F

Germany
Small publishers will accept non-exclusive contracts, big publishers will not.
But donīt get the term "small" wrong. Small can be very powerful and much more personal than the big players.

no science involved
Re: self publishing or getting a publisher? [Re: fogman] #112638
02/19/07 19:21
02/19/07 19:21
Germany
M
maybenew Offline
maybenew  Offline
M

Germany
the most common way to keep the right to do self-online-distribution is to split online and offline release...
give the game a different name for retail publication than you use for online...
if you only want to give the publisher non exclusive rights do not expect very much in the retail sector, most countries can only be covered with exclusive rights...

we offer our clients exclusive coverage with the possibility to distribute the game on their own in the online sector. for that we offer support, eg with DRM, Packaging or presentation.

if you are interested send me a mail with product info and i can give you a few suggestions and if the product matchs our portofolio maybe an offer for a publishing deal. my email is zeitler.a@icebytes.de

Re: self publishing or getting a publisher? [Re: maybenew] #112639
02/21/07 16:12
02/21/07 16:12
germany, dresden
ulf Offline OP
Serious User
ulf  Offline OP
Serious User

germany, dresden
another question came to my mind, how am i able to distribute my game to a site like one of those:

http://www.game-sales-charts.com/cms/ind...uery&qid=38

most of the games there have an download once try for 60minutes and buy key feature to unlock the game.

would they even accept to sell my game if its just a demo with like 5 levels to play forever? i know i could email them and ask directly but maybe some of you already have experience.

would that be possible with a6 right now? i know theres such a feature in forecast.

thx

Re: self publishing or getting a publisher? [Re: maybenew] #112640
02/21/07 16:33
02/21/07 16:33
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

part 1 sold more than 200k units because all magazines reported the game extraordinarily sucks and therefore is fun to play...

In my book, if a game is fun to play and people also say it's fun to play, I'd consider such a game as 'good' too. No wonder it sold very well.

Quote:

of course you have to make an extraordinarily bad product. make it, publish it, let them say it is extraordinarily bad and everybody buys it because its extraordinarily bad, nobody will be disappointed or angry at you, they just laugh, but in the meanwhile you make a lot of money and can fund the next project with it.

Nobody buys it just to see how extraordinary bad it is, that's just silly. The publicity might tempt some people into buying it, no doubt, but you're not going to get a lot of money out of bad products. And then I haven't talked about refunds, any girl or guy with a brain that 'accidently' bought your horrible game will without a doubt return it and ask for a refund.

Off course, now it seems to me, you were talking about games that aren't graphically very good or have a huge interesting story, but are still fun to play and often considered as being 'bad' games, right?

Quote:

more money means better quality and so your new game will be much better.

In my experience this totally depends, if money is used to pay higher quality programmers then yes perhaps it will become better, if the money isn't quite used apart from salary for yourself, then chances are the quality level will stay horrible. Not much money can change when you don't use it properly.

Quote:

we offer our clients exclusive coverage with the possibility to distribute the game on their own in the online sector. for that we offer support, eg with DRM, Packaging or presentation.

Nice, what kind of deals can we as developers expect? (it's okey to PM if you like)

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: self publishing or getting a publisher? [Re: ulf] #112641
02/21/07 18:06
02/21/07 18:06
Germany
M
maybenew Offline
maybenew  Offline
M

Germany
Quote:

another question came to my mind, how am i able to distribute my game to a site like one of those:

http://www.game-sales-charts.com/cms/ind...uery&qid=38

most of the games there have an download once try for 60minutes and buy key feature to unlock the game.

would they even accept to sell my game if its just a demo with like 5 levels to play forever? i know i could email them and ask directly but maybe some of you already have experience.

would that be possible with a6 right now? i know theres such a feature in forecast.

platforms like big fish or real arcade only accept high quality full version games, i won't even consider knocking on their door without a full featured product ready for distribution in my bag pack

try and buy after 60 minutes = DRM for games.
it is possible with the A6 engine right know, we are using the technology and it is working just fine.
stay tuned another week or two and you will see how effective it is...

Quote:

Off course, now it seems to me, you were talking about games that aren't graphically very good or have a huge interesting story, but are still fun to play and often considered as being 'bad' games, right?

we are talkin about bad games. not a about bad looking games but about crappy graphics with crappy gameplay and crappy bugs in it. thats what a bad game is.
we are not talkin about opinions here, it is fact the figures are real. you may say that in your opinion nobody would buy a crappy game on purpose. well, i think you are wrong, but thats not the point. the reasons for buying the game are of no interest to anybody as long as the game is selling. it could be pity for the developers for all i care, it sold 5 times as much as any comparable product, that is what is important.

Quote:

In my experience this totally depends, if money is used to pay higher quality programmers then yes perhaps it will become better, if the money isn't quite used apart from salary for yourself, then chances are the quality level will stay horrible. Not much money can change when you don't use it properly.

more money [spent on the game] means better quality and so your new game will be much better. only to clear that up thats how it is.

Quote:

Nice, what kind of deals can we as developers expect? (it's okey to PM if you like)

bring cookies if you want to sell them!
show me what we can expect and i tell you what you can expect

Re: self publishing or getting a publisher? [Re: maybenew] #112642
02/21/07 18:58
02/21/07 18:58
germany, dresden
ulf Offline OP
Serious User
ulf  Offline OP
Serious User

germany, dresden
what i see @ real arcade and similar sites are mostly 2d games with the same gameplay but different gfx.
i think most of those games are homemade by the owners of those sites... i would say that my product can easyly compete with the x-thousand reincarnation of solitair...

iam curious how did you get your drm system running?

Re: self publishing or getting a publisher? [Re: ulf] #112643
02/21/07 19:46
02/21/07 19:46
Germany
M
maybenew Offline
maybenew  Offline
M

Germany
most of the casual games are clones of simple game concepts like chekers or solitaire.

to have a game that is unique does not neccessarily mean that it is better because these cloned game concepts always are realized with a load of features and extras to make the game interesting.

stay tuned another 1-2 weeks for more information.

Re: self publishing or getting a publisher? [Re: maybenew] #112644
02/23/07 01:33
02/23/07 01:33
Wisconsin USA
FoxHound Offline
Expert
FoxHound  Offline
Expert

Wisconsin USA
http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/sho...true#Post646587

See that list, apply to all of them or some puppies will get kicked! See if none of them take you then you can publish yourself.

---------------------
There is no signature here.

QUIT LOOKING FOR ONE!
Re: self publishing or getting a publisher? [Re: TWO] #112645
02/24/07 17:05
02/24/07 17:05
Aaron Offline
Aaron  Offline

well my thought's on this, I would most likely publish my own games, but it depends on the situtation, The idea of doing on the internet is great becuse you can also get people looking at your game from all over the world, and can be a possible world wide selling, The question is if you can meat the demand and also sell it, this goes into marketing what those guy's told you about the magazine giveing you a bad rateing is called gorrila tactics what it is, is getting free advertising from newspapers or magazines or the tv news, by making some sort of story that the news are interested in doing that story which is free, What the guy's were telling you that the game getting published by a publisher boils down to if you can sell it, it can be a bad crappy game and still can sell it depending how they use marketing, if you choose publishing it through a publisher I say go for well known ones or ones you know they know marketing, the small ones most likely don't know much about marketing and gorrila tactics becuse if they did then they would of been a well know publisher, so if you pick a small publisher you taking chances, if you can't afford or can't get a well know publisher I say forget them and publish it yourself, just if your doing yourself before doing that I advice learning some marketing and gorilla tactics online get some tips ect before jumping in, you can alway's talk to big local store owners and see if you can make any deals, if they don't let you or asking for high price profit from your game, if you know it can really sell and is good quility then try low end stores, maybe game and movie rentals some where you know would not ask for a high profit like a family shop or somthing, where you can put it their and if you can attract customers and if it get's popular you then can either next game or even the current game depending on demand the high well know local shops would lower the profit deals ect like meaning contract for their slice of the pie, which might let you into the big well know shops ect, But it all boils down to demands and marketing, microsoft is good at that with their game consoles if you watch how they release their consoles you can learn alot about marketing. alot of people ask me why microsoft and sony tell people aobut the console before it even comes out, it's becuse they want to create a hype for their console and also they want quick sales when it comes out and also they paid alot of money into advertising, but in America alot of people bought the console and their were fight's that broke out over the last console on the shelves. marketing is the top think to know for selling games becuse the game case or cover has to look good artwise.

My advice is it's better for you to publish yourself if you can becuse you then will learn how to publish and you would have most control on where your publishing it. It is tough but what I have seen it's worth the headach, I never published anything yet but what I have seen my friends done it themeselves locally.

But it's your choice, Good luck!!...

Re: self publishing or getting a publisher? [Re: maybenew] #112646
02/24/07 19:33
02/24/07 19:33
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

the game sold around 15k units in germany in one year... that is around 5 times as much as a similar game in the same price range...

Do you mean that, on average an Indie programmer can expect to sell about 3000 copies a year ?
How did you get these figures ?
It does not seem so bad
Assuming a 20 usd selling price, 50 % for the publisher
The Indie programmer can cash 30.000 usd per game a year ?
Ok take off cost and tax
You can not make a live but not so bad

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de