by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 715 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
IS blender better than 3dgs??? #113182
02/21/07 20:54
02/21/07 20:54
Aaron Offline OP
Aaron  Offline OP

Hi I have been looking at the latest release of blender and to me look's much better to make games for than 3dgs a6. what do you guy's think??

if you don't know what I am talking about here is a link to the features.
Blender latest features

here are some photo's.

more features info.
more blender 2.43 features

Re: IS blender better than 3dgs??? [Re: Aaron] #113183
02/21/07 21:11
02/21/07 21:11
Maintal, Deutschland
TheTommynator Offline
TheTommynator  Offline

Maintal, Deutschland
Blender is a modelling tool.

So you can make models or scenes with it and render them.

But you can't make games with blender as blender is not an engine.

Also the rendering of these images shown could have taken several hours

Back @ work with 3DGS.
Re: IS blender better than 3dgs??? [Re: Aaron] #113184
02/21/07 21:16
02/21/07 21:16
london uk/ paris
S
sueds Offline
sueds  Offline
S

london uk/ paris
I"ve post a similar observation but most of people think ( i'm now of them) blender is a very good graphics engine but is seems diffcult to finish a game even if graphics are impressive.

do you have some link about finish game ? because i search several time but i only find little game ...

Re: IS blender better than 3dgs??? [Re: TheTommynator] #113185
02/21/07 21:29
02/21/07 21:29
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

Quote:

Blender is a modelling tool.

So you can make models or scenes with it and render them.

But you can't make games with blender as blender is not an engine.

Also the rendering of these images shown could have taken several hours

Blender has a built in game engine with Python scripting capabilities.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: IS blender better than 3dgs??? [Re: Orange Brat] #113186
02/21/07 21:46
02/21/07 21:46
Netherlands
bstudio Offline
User
bstudio  Offline
User

Netherlands
yeah, but from what I've heard the engine isn't that good and certainly not very speedy. So you'd better stay with 3dgs

BASIC programmers never die, they GOSUB and don't RETURN.
Re: IS blender better than 3dgs??? [Re: bstudio] #113187
02/21/07 21:53
02/21/07 21:53
Aaron Offline OP
Aaron  Offline OP

but I found their are plug-in python game engine scripts called pygame I think what can be used for making games with blender.
And blender is not just a modeling too it's also a game engine, I hear some people are making plug-ins for exporting or publishing for windows and also linux and some game consoles,like nintendo, but it's in the works, to me sound's exciting, this might be an alternitive to consonle gaming making but I heard their having problmes with microsoft and sony, but heard nintendo agreed with the idea, found this info in the board fourms in some 3rd party site for blender.

Re: IS blender better than 3dgs??? [Re: Aaron] #113188
02/21/07 22:00
02/21/07 22:00
london uk/ paris
S
sueds Offline
sueds  Offline
S

london uk/ paris
I think in few month blender will be a good engine wait for the ogre plugin
cause the game engine use to shutdown

dont be rush with blender cause it's an open source and for that reason it need more efforr so try some game on blenderartist you will see
it's better advice icould give you
cause even some effect are impressive and the physic with bullet seems amazing i didn't see a real game in fact and that's the problem

I hope there will have some improvement cause game making is expensive and spend 1000 usd on it It's a bit harsh

Re: IS blender better than 3dgs??? [Re: sueds] #113189
02/23/07 17:06
02/23/07 17:06
Aaron Offline OP
Aaron  Offline OP

No I don't see a finished game, becuse most people think it's unrealiable to make games, and so far no big game was made with blender but I think you can but it will be hard becuse no tutorials on this stuff since noone attempt at making a game with it, Also major game companies wont jump into blender unless someone succeded making games with becuse their modo is time is money, and if they jump into blender and fail at making a game they lost big $$$ and time, so those are some reason's their wasnt attemps on making games with this, people made demo's but not a full game.Also you would have to learn python becuse that's what the game engine uses, and it's not hard I would say python is the fastest and easiest programming language with powerful features.
like you don't have to declare a variable you just create one on spot and assing a value to it and also the program runs the script and then highlight's errors on each line where the error in your code occured so it's a easy fix.
Nasa uses python for programming their equipment, they switch from c++ to python.

Re: IS blender better than 3dgs??? [Re: Aaron] #113190
02/23/07 22:52
02/23/07 22:52
london uk/ paris
S
sueds Offline
sueds  Offline
S

london uk/ paris
You're right about python is powerfull but what about the game engine ? no realtime shadows ... If your game is above 50 mo its shutdown ...

Also I was talking about indie game ... Why indie developpers don't use it ?
there is several games on 3dgs finishedor almost ... but on blender it look more than tech demo or little application.

And your right the community around the game engine is tiny

But I'm not saying blender's not a good engine, only it's lack of stability. I'm just waiting for ogre plugin.

Re: IS blender better than 3dgs??? [Re: sueds] #113191
02/25/07 19:03
02/25/07 19:03
Aaron Offline OP
Aaron  Offline OP

ya your right yesterday I look into it deeper I know python script it's much quicker and eaiser than c++ ect, the game engine handles pro looking graphics good in graphics but your right it lacks stability it's not really for indie games it's more for pro just like unreal game engines used to make xbox 360 games ect, but it does lack alot of stuff like shadow cast but what I hear their making addons to like the real shadows ect but for now you have to fake it, but it's not an easy interface to work with I have looked into it and look's more of plug and play but you have to be able to find different packages to install to blender in order to make it a full game engine I haven't seen any commands made for animation you can play animations but their is no control for like your player when your player moves you want it to play a certain frame of the animation making your player able to show that it's walking, this is not in the game engine the game engine provides pyhics and some basic stuff to run a game like start game end game timer, but most of the stuff that 3dgamestudios has you would need to script it using python.

So your right it lacks stability, a very little support group and I don't advise anyone from 3dgs to us it unless your a pro at python and know you stuff, becuse the interface is also werid you have to use the panel to input your scripts in the game, it's a weird interface type thing for me.

I like 3dgs becuse you have a program that you deal with the script and what the script does is what you get, in blender thier is more too it you need to know the rules of the engine what it can compile ect, so mostly you would be doing heavy duty on scripting using python. However I hear that a couple of people are trying to make a game engine something like cryengine 2 ect but better and make it a plug-in with blender ect but it's going to take a while and they said that they are trying to make it easier for indie game makers.

so right now to me it doesn't look like it's a easy to work with the game engine and lacks some stuff even particles, Blend does say it has a particle system but what I hear from people that used the game engine said that it's not a full particle system you have to do heavy scripting and some people just use a tech to fake particles so overall it's a messy game engine.

I decided to stick with 3dgs for a while until blender game engine get's much better system of making games ect.

But you must admit the graphics is way better than 3dgs.

I hope A7 would have a way better graphic upgrade, and make .jpe and .png images importable to be as skins or particles ect, looking for higher graphic capacity in the game engine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de