Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,238 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Jesus has returned....erhem #116445
03/10/07 20:11
03/10/07 20:11
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
Yeah, I'll let this speak for itself.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=2925021&page=1

It should be interesting to see the different reactions to this. Since this is notably a secular-majority board, I suppose the most obvious reaction will be to parallel this to religion and say this is why religion is bunk.

I'll refrain from commenting for now, however.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Irish_Farmer] #116446
03/10/07 23:51
03/10/07 23:51
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
This guy is remarkably intelligent, charismatic and very convincing. He is also very scary, not just for the millions he is deceiving, but think also of the children of the people he is decieving. If this guy has a "Jim Jones Kool-Aid Moment" There could be a lot of tragic death.

Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Irish_Farmer] #116447
03/11/07 00:17
03/11/07 00:17
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Since this is notably a secular-majority board, I suppose the most obvious reaction will be to parallel this to religion and say this is why religion is bunk.

Well, yes in a way it certainly does. This basically shows the impact of a certain attitude and charisma of one person on a huge group of people. The influence he receives does have it's roots in the existance of other religions and the statement that he's the 'second comming' certainly doesn't make it a less religion-based problem.

Especially the "super raza" part makes this guy scary.

I'd say all in all this is the problem of blind faith, because like the guy says so himself, people don't care if he's a liar and demand no proof. Thát's in my opinion the most scary part and 99.9% of all religions are not free of this problem.

Quote:

"That's where Hispanics are, and then eventually I'm going to find a lot of beautiful English-speaking people who will want to believe in me and I'm going to have millions of them."

I know it's speculation on my side, but I bet he had two of those dollarsigns in his eyes when he said this.

Cheers

Last edited by PHeMoX; 03/11/07 00:20.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: PHeMoX] #116448
03/11/07 00:47
03/11/07 00:47
S
soraga Offline
soraga  Offline
S

Hmmm...according to the Apocalypse (known more commonly as the book of Revelations) in the bible, one of the signs of the end times is people impersonating Jesus Christ or acting as false prophets of Christ, and gaining millions of followers.

EDIT-

"This self-proclaimed Jesus does not believe in sin, hell, the devil or damnation of any kind."

AHAHAHA. According to the catholic church and the bible, Jesus Christ is God. God created the earth and man (Adam), and put Adam to the test. Adam failed by eating of the forbidden fruit, and as a result of that was cast out of the earthly paradise. But God, in His mercy, gave man another chance to prove themselves. This eventually leads up to the founding of the Catholic Church. So how can God, who is also Jesus Christ, who CREATED hell for the fallen angels and for man who will not heed His words, all of the sudden not believe in sin, hell, or damnation? Doesn't even believe in the devil? God created Lucifer, who in his pride fell away from God and henceforth was cast into hell. And now this "Jesus Christ", who would also be God, no longer believes in his own creation?

Besides the fact that not believing in sin or damnation would make the whole Catholic Church pointless, as it was created by Jesus to guide people around sin and into heaven, away from damnation. It's all contradictory even by the bible.

EDIT2 - Quoted from Paul's epistle to the Romans. 1:24-25, Douay Rheims version
"Therefore God has given them up in the lustful desires of their heart to uncleanliness, so that they dishonor their own bodies among themselves-they who exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the creator who is blessed forever, amen."

Therefore God has given them up means, from Thomas Aquinas, that God withdrew His grace from them, because they sinned. This man says St. Paul is the only gospel writer who got it right, because he said St. Paul taught that there was no sin. Yet right here in a passage of St. Paul, he is telling of sins that are committed by man. Not only is he trying to cut out any parts of the bible that contradict him, he also got it wrong about St. Paul.

Last edited by soraga; 03/11/07 01:11.
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: soraga] #116449
03/11/07 01:33
03/11/07 01:33
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
I say, this man is liar. He just wants famousity and cash.

And I still insist that there is no humanity left when earth collides with the storm. At year 2010.

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Inestical] #116450
03/11/07 02:16
03/11/07 02:16
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:

Quote:

Since this is notably a secular-majority board, I suppose the most obvious reaction will be to parallel this to religion and say this is why religion is bunk.

Well, yes in a way it certainly does.

this actually doesn't make religion bunk -- this is merely an example of a non-religious person (unless he really believes in himself) lying and manipulating people. unless he really believes in what he is saying (and therefore inadequately understands is own religion), his motives would have nothing to do with religion.

he takes advantage of millions of people who are in religions with hundreds of rules... Jesus also saved us from these rules (while i believe true Catholics are saved, they follow hundreds of rules never touched upon in the Bible), but this guy is convincing people that his way is the only escape.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: JibbSmart] #116451
03/11/07 02:33
03/11/07 02:33
Melbourne, Australia
Matt_Coles Offline

User
Matt_Coles  Offline

User

Melbourne, Australia
he's probably the anti christ

Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Matt_Coles] #116452
03/11/07 03:55
03/11/07 03:55
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
Ok, I'll comment now. I would be very surprised if this guy is THE anti-christ. Though it should be noted that preterists believe the anti-christ has come and gone. I'll leave it to the reader to decide.

Here's why I don't think he's the anti-christ. Number one, I think his influence is being overblown by the media. I suspect that most of the report on him is fluff. But that's just my natural skepticism of popular media at work. I might be wrong.

If you really read what they're saying however, then it appears they aren't saying much. For instance, "Some say he has a following in the millions," could mean that he has a following in the hundreds, and there are only some people who are so awed by him that they claim he has a following in the millions. But whatever.

I will agree that this shows the dangers of blind faith. It also shows a shifting attitude in society. Religion has been marginalized by the recent rise of a humanistic worldview in society, and people are disillusioned with religion. They hunger for something tangible, and I think people have generally grown tired of religion.

Its sad, but this man is really going to get it from God when he has to account for what he's doing. As Jesus said, "But whoever causes on of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck, and he were drowned in the depth of the sea." Since it appears he's appealing to people who already believe in Jesus, then it doesn't look like things will be going well for him when it comes time for final judgement.

Last edited by Irish_Farmer; 03/11/07 03:55.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Irish_Farmer] #116453
03/11/07 05:57
03/11/07 05:57
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
I wonder what the look on his face will be on that particular second, when hes standing in front of god

Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: JibbSmart] #116454
03/11/07 15:10
03/11/07 15:10
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

this actually doesn't make religion bunk -- this is merely an example of a non-religious person (unless he really believes in himself) lying and manipulating people.

Lying and manipulating people sounds very much like religion. I agree that the link is more indirectly, but is has everything to do with religion and how religion works.

Quote:

Here's why I don't think he's the anti-christ. Number one, I think his influence is being overblown by the media. I suspect that most of the report on him is fluff. But that's just my natural skepticism of popular media at work. I might be wrong.

I agree, the media tends to blow up stuff like this indeed. As for anti-christ or not, I don't think it's even a question you should ask, since it doesn't make much sense. According to most scriptures about the anti-christ he's supposedly very evil, right? Well, although deceiving people can be considered evil, if that's a criteria to be defined as 'anti-christ' then there are an aweful lot of anti-christs.

Cheers

Last edited by PHeMoX; 03/11/07 15:15.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite