Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 972 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: PHeMoX] #116465
03/14/07 19:37
03/14/07 19:37
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
Quote:

Okey, second example; A lot of Christians always tend to say the church always said the earth was round instead of flat. Well, look in the bible and you'll find out that it only mentions 'circle', not sphere. At some point it mentions 'four corners of the earth' and as you'll understand a sphere doesn't have corners. Christians also claim the church said(!) the world was round, but there are plenty of quotes from sailors saying completely the opposite. Take this famous quote from Magellan: "The Church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the Church." I also wonder which people Christians mean when they say 'scientists' said the world was flat, since there is no record which proves this point, nor would such a generalisation fit. Lying? Manipulating? Well, I'm sorry, but from my point of view and considered the evidence, yes!

I'm sorry but for some reason people seem to always confuse the church with christianity in generl. Im not an expert at history nor am I a theologist, but as far as I can tell the church has NOT ever been an adequate example of what christianity is, and the reason for that is that the church is made up of people, sinners. Christianity on the other had is an idea, a belief, not necessarily do all of its followers do things right according to the bible. Espescially the church, the church in general has screwed itself over so many times that its not even funny, I mean come on, you have the crusades, you have catholocism which itself is a load of crap, you have several people in the pews who listen to preachers, but dont listen to any other athority, nor consult the bible, but instead just take on there pastor/preacher ideas as there own, without any self interpretation, you can never take the "church" seriously to tell you what christianity actually is.

Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: lostclimate] #116466
03/14/07 23:21
03/14/07 23:21
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
I understand your point and you're right to some extent, however millions if not billions worldwide go to churches to get taught about their own belief. The problem is the massive amount of influence churches have on the christian religion. Even if what churches teach can not be considered as true christianity, the problem remains.

As for the global history of most religions, the churches throughout history did decide practically all what would be taught to the people. Right down to the bible itself, you can't look at that book whilst ignoring the church's influence on it's entire content.

In my humble opinion it's very clear all they really wanted to achieve was power and wealth. At times even right next to or together with political power (a bit like Bush now, not exactly separation of state and religion if you ask me, right?).

As for people going to churches, this seems to change somewhat lately (in the netherlands a lot of churches are rather empty now and this tendency hasn't stopped yet).

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: PHeMoX] #116467
03/17/07 04:45
03/17/07 04:45
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
I don't understand why some Christians are so quick to criticize the church. Nevermind them providing decades of social aid, or the millions of families that have been counseled, lives that have been changed of the better and so forth.

Quote:

As for the global history of most religions, the churches throughout history did decide practically all what would be taught to the people. Right down to the bible itself, you can't look at that book whilst ignoring the church's influence on it's entire content.

Yes you can. Information has been free for some time now, and there's no excuse for letting yourself be led around by the church. At least no good excuse, anyway.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Irish_Farmer] #116468
03/17/07 15:04
03/17/07 15:04
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Yes you can. Information has been free for some time now, and there's no excuse for letting yourself be led around by the church. At least no good excuse, anyway.

Truth is you really can't because the history of the church actually decided what ended up in your precious bible. Off course, you are free to decide which parts of the bible you pick up and which you don't, and also which parts you will consider as good lessons and which you'll believe to be historical (eventhough evidence mostly will show you otherwise or makes it questionable, but you can always simply ignore that ).

Cheers

Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Irish_Farmer] #116469
03/19/07 21:06
03/19/07 21:06
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Quote:

Jesus has returned....erhem

Does that mean there are no more easter vacations?

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #116470
03/21/07 22:12
03/21/07 22:12
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

Truth is you really can't because the history of the church actually decided what ended up in your precious bible. Off course, you are free to decide which parts of the bible you pick up and which you don't, and also which parts you will consider as good lessons and which you'll believe to be historical (eventhough evidence mostly will show you otherwise or makes it questionable, but you can always simply ignore that

Canon selection information has been freely available. That's the nice thing about living in an "American-style" society, like your Europe is.

So, I'll rephrase it: Until the advent of the internet (which itself made the information on the bible extremely easy to find), you might have had to do a little work, but information on how and why the bible was formed has been freely available for quite some time.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Irish_Farmer] #116471
03/22/07 03:03
03/22/07 03:03
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

(which itself made the information on the bible extremely easy to find)

[sarcasm]Yeah,uuh so it's on the internet so it must be true[/sarcasm]

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that. Besides, there's not even a consensus on the information about the canon selection for the bible. Thus, which scholar's theory do you believe ánd what historic information about these selections are actually true? It's a bit more complex than you suggest here and there's no single option either ...

The church through time did not give out information about everything they've ever changed to the canon, infact they didn't even write down whatever they've changed in the early times, that's a relatively modern thing. It's the very same thing why there's no way you can claim that the bible's content has remained 100% the same through time,

Cheers

Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: PHeMoX] #116472
03/22/07 22:03
03/22/07 22:03
Canada
Stansmedia Offline
Serious User
Stansmedia  Offline
Serious User

Canada
Perhaps its the "care free" atmosphere which is attracting so many people? If some people are told that nothing you could do would send you to hell, because there is no hell, some of them would want to follow.. and through this inspire a happy good willed church. As apposed to other religions, in which your chances of an eternity of torture and pain are pretty high.. unless you join and comit of course. It's all coming down to giving answers of the unexplainable. And if this guy's will is to help people, then all the power to him. But seeing as how he is taking a personal gain on it (jesus 2.0 driving a bmw? common...). Either way, if people arn't getting hurt I see no real problem, just a cheap comfort.

Decessus - 80% done. 100% abandoned.
GET MY ANDROID GAME! https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lasertrain.zspinballfree&hl=en
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Stansmedia] #116473
03/22/07 22:17
03/22/07 22:17
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

[sarcasm]Yeah,uuh so it's on the internet so it must be true[/sarcasm]

There is a lot of misinformation on the web. But there's also a lot of good information.

Quote:

Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that. Besides, there's not even a consensus on the information about the canon selection for the bible. Thus, which scholar's theory do you believe ánd what historic information about these selections are actually true? It's a bit more complex than you suggest here and there's no single option either ...

That's about as worrisome for me as I'm sure the disagreement over gradualism and punctuated equilibrium is for you.

Quote:

The church through time did not give out information about everything they've ever changed to the canon, infact they didn't even write down whatever they've changed in the early times, that's a relatively modern thing. It's the very same thing why there's no way you can claim that the bible's content has remained 100% the same through time,

Actually, its well referenced that certain passages were added to the bible, for instance Romans 8:1 used to be much shorter than it is in some translations (my bible reads the extended ending, but notes that the second half of the verse wasn't there to begin with).

Of course, a change like that isn't very threatening at all. So until proof of some threatening change comes along, I won't worry myself too much.

Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Irish_Farmer] #116474
03/22/07 23:33
03/22/07 23:33
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Of course, a change like that isn't very threatening at all. So until proof of some threatening change comes along, I won't worry myself too much.

A lot of small changes eventually make up for a huge change. This is threatening in itself when it comes to integrity.

Besides, changes in texts about multiple Gods instead of one, reincarnation, women's position and origin (rib from adam or not) and for example details about Maria or Jesus's wife and children and what more are rather big changes imho...

Quote:

But there's also a lot of good information.

Yes, but it often takes (almost?) an expert to be able to determine wether the information is actually accurate or not. Some sites don't even state their sources, well I usually don't even bother to quote them, but still... Others use rather dodgy sources and the real errors can only be found if you check their 'original' sources, most people never check sources,

Cheers

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite