Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by EternallyCurious. 04/20/24 21:39
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/20/24 20:57
Scripts not found
by juergen_wue. 04/20/24 18:51
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/20/24 10:06
StartWeek not working as it should
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
folder management functions
by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (frutza, Quad, AndrewAMD), 385 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: PHeMoX] #116455
03/11/07 17:06
03/11/07 17:06
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

Lying and manipulating people sounds very much like religion. I agree that the link is more indirectly, but is has everything to do with religion and how religion works.

Forgive me for being presumptuous, but it seems this is based on some kind of experience or something. Would you then say that you reject Christianity because Christians lie and manipulate?

I'm not going to try and save you here, I'm just constantly curious about the different reasons people reject Christianity.

Quote:

I agree, the media tends to blow up stuff like this indeed. As for anti-christ or not, I don't think it's even a question you should ask, since it doesn't make much sense. According to most scriptures about the anti-christ he's supposedly very evil, right? Well, although deceiving people can be considered evil, if that's a criteria to be defined as 'anti-christ' then there are an aweful lot of anti-christs.

Well, from God's perspective, perhaps one of the most evil things possible would be leading children away from Him?

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Irish_Farmer] #116456
03/12/07 08:02
03/12/07 08:02
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:

Lying and manipulating people sounds very much like religion

i'm sorry you have received bad impressions from religion in general, but lying and manipulating are sinful and despicable acts that no true Christian endorses (i'm not generalizing here, if you consider yourself a true Christian and DO endorse these things you are violating the Bible's teachings).

he is taking advantage of people blindly involved in religion. religion isn't the problem; the people following their own religions blindly are embracing it and he chooses to manipulate in this way because he can do it easily; however he is the main problem and if he believed in any mainstream religion, he would not be able to do this without violating its teachings and/or provoking some sort of divine punishment. if there was no religion, this guy could probably think of other ways to do such worldly things as lie and manipulate. religion is not in anyway the problem here.

i agree wholeheartedly with Irish Farmer's perspectives in this case, plus my two cents above.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: JibbSmart] #116457
03/13/07 07:22
03/13/07 07:22
South Africa
capanno Offline
Serious User
capanno  Offline
Serious User

South Africa
False prophet, and a total idiot. Its sad how many people can follow such blatant false teachings.

Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: capanno] #116458
03/13/07 10:22
03/13/07 10:22
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

"Beware of the false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inside are ravening wolves."

This is a good warning.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #116459
03/13/07 11:17
03/13/07 11:17
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
short and sweet, too i think that quote well-describes this fella. only time will tell if he is dangerous in a worldly point of view, not just in a spiritual point of view. i can see this easily leading to riot and rebellion in the name of his lawless ideals, if his followers are as many in number as they say.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: JibbSmart] #116460
03/13/07 15:31
03/13/07 15:31
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline
Expert
A.Russell  Offline
Expert
A

Japan
What a cool thing to do. 60 years old and look at all the money, fame and pussy he is getting! Whether he is lying or believes what he says is true, who cares? Good on him, he is living the American dream. Men with such spirit inspire me.

Last edited by A.Russell; 03/13/07 15:34.
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Irish_Farmer] #116461
03/13/07 17:16
03/13/07 17:16
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Forgive me for being presumptuous, but it seems this is based on some kind of experience or something. Would you then say that you reject Christianity because Christians lie and manipulate?

Yes, this is indeed based upon experiences with religion(!)* (not just Christianity), but my personal experiences aside, can't you see that having a religion in the first place makes room for guys like this? Religion teaches it's okey to belief in something without substantial evidence or infact even without any evidence at all. They encourage blind faith and this guy gladly takes advantage of that ...

*. Eventhough there are many many more, I'll give two examples;

I once met a monk who at first wasn't trying to convert me, but instead was asking for donations. Anyways we had a little talk and he found out that I study archaeology. At that particular point the whole discussion changed. He started to talk about socalled 'hidden archaeology', as if the world was one big conspiracy against his religion. It wasn't hard to read his face and find out that he a. was lying and b. wasn't sure at all about what he was saying.
I simply know this 'hidden archaeology' thing is untrue (my region of study is southeast-asia/east-asia and china) and he was really trying to manipulate me, convince me of this lie he didn't even believe in himself.

Okey, second example; A lot of Christians always tend to say the church always said the earth was round instead of flat. Well, look in the bible and you'll find out that it only mentions 'circle', not sphere. At some point it mentions 'four corners of the earth' and as you'll understand a sphere doesn't have corners. Christians also claim the church said(!) the world was round, but there are plenty of quotes from sailors saying completely the opposite. Take this famous quote from Magellan: "The Church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the Church." I also wonder which people Christians mean when they say 'scientists' said the world was flat, since there is no record which proves this point, nor would such a generalisation fit. Lying? Manipulating? Well, I'm sorry, but from my point of view and considered the evidence, yes!

( Oww by the way: Prov 8:26-27, Isa 40:22, Isa 40:22, Mat 4:8, Job 38:13, Job 11:9, Deu 13:7, Deu 28:49, Deu 28:64, Deu 33:17, 1 Sam 2:10, Job 1:7, Job 28:24, Job 37:3, Psa 2:8, Psa 19:4, Psa 22:27, Psa 33:13, Psa 33:14, Psa 48:10, Psa 59:13, Psa 61:2, Psa 65:5, Psa 72:8 - all reflect a view of the world as if it were flat! )

This is just one of many reasons why I reject religion, not God, not Jesus, not Budhha, but organised churches and their people turning religion into a method of taking advantage of people.

Cheers

Last edited by PHeMoX; 03/13/07 17:28.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: PHeMoX] #116462
03/14/07 04:27
03/14/07 04:27
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline OP
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline OP
User

Wisconsin
Although I don't like your reasons, I'll let you have them. However, seeing as how apologetics has become a hobby of mine, I will have to correct you when it comes to the bible.

They had no word for "spherical", the closest word they had indicates a "pile".

As far as you claiming that the "four corners" proves anything, I'll ask if you then run outside trying to spot a good pet to take for your own when someone tells you its raining cats and dogs.

Besides, you can't have it both ways. The law of non-contradict dictates that the earth can't be circular and have corners in the first place.

That's just a general answer.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Irish_Farmer] #116463
03/14/07 09:35
03/14/07 09:35
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
As to the new Jesus, I'm with A.Russel in that matter. If some people followed and gave their money to a Jesus 2000 years ago, why shouldn't they do the same today? Who can tell just from a newspaper article that one Jesus is better than the other?

However it's interesting that many threads always end up with bible apologetics. Where did you get the idea that there is no word for "sphere" in hebrew?

Re: Jesus has returned....erhem [Re: Irish_Farmer] #116464
03/14/07 14:27
03/14/07 14:27
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Besides, you can't have it both ways. The law of non-contradict dictates that the earth can't be circular and have corners in the first place.

Indeed, but that's what the bible states, contradicting as it is.

Quote:

However it's interesting that many threads always end up with bible apologetics. Where did you get the idea that there is no word for "sphere" in hebrew?

'Sapir' is infact the Hebrew word for 'sphere', infact our word sphere is indirectly derived from it. Oww and as for scientists who said the world wasn't flat but round, there was Pythagoras, Aristotle (actually gave 3 very good arguments to support it), Ptolemy, Aryabhatta and many more. (people from both before and after christ/biblical events)

Cheers

Last edited by PHeMoX; 03/14/07 14:46.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite