Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, SBGuy, TipmyPip, ozgur), 923 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: FoxHound] #117390
03/16/07 10:07
03/16/07 10:07
K
Kinji_2007 Offline
Kinji_2007  Offline
K

@ FoxHound

My friend, do you even own a Bible? ;-)

Gal 5:16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
Gal 5:20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

@ PHeMoX

Quote:

You can't check Antiquities with e-sword by the way, nor with BibleWorks for that matter.

edit: you obviously missed my point, just go read the Antiquities issues. Don't worry I know about the 'topic notes' thing in e-Swords.

You can read Antiquities in e-sword. Each book and each chapter. There is a sweet little search feature also.. makes it easier.

For those who want to know what Antiquities says about Jesus...

18:3:3, "Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day."

20:9:1, "Festus was now dead, and Albinus was but upon the road; so he assembled the Sanhedrim of judges, and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others, [or, some of his companions]; and when he had formed an accusation against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be stoned: but as for those who seemed the most equitable of the citizens, and such as were the most uneasy at the breach of the laws, they disliked what was done;"

I would personally appreciate a little "tit for tat". If I present you with one small shred of evidence that the Bible or Jesus is real.. give me a little something that says they are not. I am guilty of this also but 90% of this thread is based on mere opinions so far. Quitoe some scripture, tell about history or tell me something science proves. ;-) Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Kinji_2007; 03/16/07 10:49.

http://www.geocities.com/carapacedweller/kinjis/Tutorial_Index.html A5 and A6 tutorials <> E3S series "Show me once and I got it, tell me once and I'll think twice."
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: Kinji_2007] #117391
03/16/07 11:24
03/16/07 11:24
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
You still haven't read the parts in Antiquities of the jews, but still rely on another source talking about another source talking about another. Don't blame me for scratching the back of my head, religious people often use those christian sites to back things up, or christian programs for that matter. Like I said before though, check antiquities for yourself and read what it says... It'll instantly clearify the problem and my point,

Quote:

You both have failed to provide any information based on facts.

Where exactly did I not provide information based on facts? It's basically all I do, if not prove me otherwise.

Quote:

Last but not least.. you simply cannot even come close to dis-proving God. I can come a lot closer to proving him. So in short.. in a nice way: Try.

Big words, no facts, no evidence. I'd say try me, what's your 'evidence' that 'nearly (lol) proves' the existence of God?

Quote:

Show me. Have you actually read it?

Yes, I have, but I did so in a library.

Quote:

Any of you start using 3dgs and try to write script without tutorials and without the manual?

Mmm, let me rephrase; Perhaps your manual is faulthy and thus your games are faulthy. Just as a small analogy.

Cheers

Last edited by PHeMoX; 03/16/07 15:52.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: PHeMoX] #117392
03/16/07 14:03
03/16/07 14:03
Wisconsin USA
FoxHound Offline
Expert
FoxHound  Offline
Expert

Wisconsin USA
@Kinji_2007

I'm not your friend and don't claim otherwise. I also see nothing about homosexuality there, you can say sex, but nothing pin pointing homosexuality exctually, or even remotley. You can claim since gay-sex can not produce children then it is "lust of the flesh" but so would any sex, even between husban and wife, that is not intended to bring a child into the world.

---------------------
There is no signature here.

QUIT LOOKING FOR ONE!
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: PHeMoX] #117393
03/16/07 14:40
03/16/07 14:40
K
Kinji_2007 Offline
Kinji_2007  Offline
K

@PHeMoX

Show me. Have you actually read it?

What I wanted to know was about Jesus.. thus I look him up. Other jews are not in question. You are very good at down-grading others and making assumptions. You have yet to bring anything to this topic useful. We all get our information from various sites and books.. the source doesnt matter much.

Quote:

You still haven't read the parts in Antiquities of the jews,

Any certain keywords? People? Anything at all to guide me. Or just the "whole" book.

Quote:

Don't blame me for scratching the back of my head, religious people often use those christian sites to back things up, or christian programs for that matter.

Of course. :-) We need all the help we can get. At the moment I'll try to answer any question you have based on the Bible and Antiquities. Any of you start using 3dgs and try to write script without tutorials and without the manual? Doesnt make sense does it? Use all the resources available and be respectful by telling when you have C+P something. lol

Quote:

check antiquities for yourself and read what it says... It'll instantly clearify the problem and my point,

I am. But to point out a keyword or specific topic would save some time.

If I can insert my opinion/opinions for a moment.

1) There is a God. You may have come from a monkey... not I.
2) Jesus walked on this earth and live/died just as recorded in the Bible.
3) Hell is hot and many of us will find that out soon enough.
4) Last but not least.. you simply cannot even come close to dis-proving God. I can come a lot closer to proving him. So in short.. in a nice way: Try.

@FoxHound

Your right.. we are not friends. I was just trying to answer in a nice way to a very stupid question. lol You got a little defensive. Are you a homosexual? (legit question)

In a marriage, sex is ok. See..

Quote:

Heb 13:4 Marriage is honorable in all, and the bed undefiled: but whoremongers and adulterers God will judge.

I would say this covers gay...

Quote:

Rom 1:26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
Rom 1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.
Rom 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
Rom 1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
Rom 1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
Rom 1:31 Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:

You both have failed to provide any information based on facts. Copy and paste something.. anything. Science, scripture, history. Surly you can hold a decent conversation without all the slander.

Last edited by Kinji_2007; 03/16/07 14:56.

http://www.geocities.com/carapacedweller/kinjis/Tutorial_Index.html A5 and A6 tutorials <> E3S series "Show me once and I got it, tell me once and I'll think twice."
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: Kinji_2007] #117394
03/16/07 17:24
03/16/07 17:24
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Quote:

... why are you way back in exodus?... Why go back to the OT when you KNOW you cant live by those rules.

So which parts of the Bible should we follow? By picking and choosing parts of the Bible I could be the kindest man in the world or a total psycho.

I'm not saying that the Bible is bad, but I can't see how you can follow it 100% because, going back to the original statement, "the stories contain thousands of historical and logical mistakes and self-contradictions".

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: Kinji_2007] #117395
03/16/07 17:36
03/16/07 17:36
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
By the way, Kinji_2007 isn't it extremely strange that the historians that lived at the same time as Jesus do not mention Jesus nor his miracles at all?

quote:
"No historians of the time mention Jesus. Suetonius (65-135) does not. Pliny the Younger only mentions Christians (Paulists) with no comment of Jesus himself. Tacitus mentions a Jesus, but it is likely that after a century of Christian preaching Tacitus was just reacting to these rumours, or probably talking about one of the many other Messiah's of the time. Josephus, a methodical, accurate and dedicated historian of the time mentions John the Baptist, Herod, Pilate and many aspects of Jewish life but does not mention Jesus. (The Testimonium Flavianum has been shown to be a third century Christian fraud). He once mentions a Jesus, but gives no information other than that he is a brother of a James. Jesus was not an unusual name, either. Justus, another Jewish historian who lived in Tiberias (near Kapernaum, a place Jesus frequented) did not mention Jesus nor any of his miracles. It is only in the evidence of later writers, writing about earlier times, that we find a Jesus."

Cheers

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: PHeMoX] #117396
03/16/07 17:50
03/16/07 17:50
Wisconsin
Irish_Farmer Offline
User
Irish_Farmer  Offline
User

Wisconsin
Quote:

This is probably something you've picked up at one of those christian sites, because there's convincing evidence to be found inside some of the original writings about this source, which not only strongly suggest that some parts of that particular text were added as interpretations, not as translations, but also that it was added on a later date. I don't think I can convince you, but you should look it up.

That's why I referred to a "minimalist" version. I thought we already had this discussion where I even pointed out what the minimalist version was likely to be (sans additions).

Quote:

With the exception of the exodus,

How is it inaccurate?

Quote:

the massive field battles

Ditto.

Quote:

the global flood,

Well, that gets into the creation-evolution debate, so I'll let this one go.

Quote:

shape of the earth

We've already had this discussion here. Multiple times in fact.

Quote:

Some asian countries have (had) myths that are similar to some western or middle-eastern myths, things like that still don't prove much nor which one was first, the others could simply have been the last to write it down...

Actually, the striking similarities across such vast differences, is something Christians take great pride in. What's interesting to me is that the Hebrew story remains the most culturally neutral, whereas other cultures (ie the babylonians) add in a million little bits of their cultural nonsense.

Quote:

Some geographical and historical facts in the bible are correct, some are wrong.

Genesis 2: "A river watering the garden flowed from Eden; from there it was separated into four headwaters. The name of the first is the Pishon; it winds through the entire land of Havilah, where there is gold. The gold of that land is good; aromatic resin and onyx are also there. The name of the second river is the Gihon; it winds through the entire land of Cush. The name of the third river is the Tigris; it runs along the east side of Assur. And the fourth river is the Euphrates."

If you look this up in a map, you'll find that the Tigris indeed runs along the east side of Assur - correct so far. But the Tigris and Euphrates don't spring from a common river - which would have been be a geographical curiosity anyway, as rivers normally only separate in a river delta. And the land of Cush (Sudan) lies on an entirely different continent.

3 facts, 2 of them plain wrong - hardly "incredibly reliable", won't you agree?

For all we know, Genesis 2 was written between 900 - 1000 BC by an author dubbed "Jahwist" by historians. The location of Tigris, Euphrates and Cush were known at that time. So we can assume that either Jahwist was not very educated, or he intentionally mixed up geography to describe Eden as a mythological place that could have been anywhere. In that case the text does not contain mistakes. It only becomes wrong when misunderstood as a geography book - and then causes the typical funny apologetic explanations that I've read, such as "the land Cush was washed from Asia to Africa by Noah's flood...

Although there are several possible explanations, they rely on the absence of proof. That said, I can't provide an answer, without possibly speaking too soon. I don't know much.

Quote:

The Enuma Elish was written on tables in 1200 BC in Babylon, and is therefore the oldest written creation myth we know. Back then, the Hebrews were still nomadic tribes and had yet to invent writing. Their version (Genesis 1) was written 700 years later in the Babylonian Exile. Sure, both versions obviously have a common source, but which version was derived from which one?

I don't know for sure, do you?

Let's have a look, see. (Bab = babylonian; Heb = Hebrew)

1). Bab has multiple gods with human physical attributes (they desire sex and so forth). Heb has one God with no human physical constraints.

Before I make more points, let's look at a summary of the Enuma Elish:

Quote:

The title, an incipit, means "When on high." The epic names three primeval gods: Apsu, the fresh water, Tiamat, the salt water, and their son Mummu, apparently the mist. Several other gods are created, and raise such a clamor of noise that Apsu is provoked (with Mummu's connivance) to destroy them. Ea (Nudimmud), at the time the most powerful of the gods, intercepts the plan, puts Apsu to sleep and kills him, and shuts Mummu out. Ea then begets a son, Marduk, greater still than himself.

Tiamat is then persuaded to take revenge for the death of her husband. Her power grows, and some of the gods join her. She elevates Kingu as her new husband and gives him "supreme dominion." A lengthy description of the other gods' inability to deal with the threat follows. Ultimately, Marduk is selected as their champion against Tiamat, and becomes very powerful. He defeats and kills Tiamat, and forms the world from her corpse. The subsequent hundred lines or so constitute the lost section of Tablet V.

The gods who sided with Tiamat are initially forced to labor in the service of the other gods. They are freed from their servitude when Marduk decides to slay Kingu and create mankind from his blood. Babylon is established as the residence of the chief gods. Finally, the gods confer kingship on Marduk, hailing him with fifty names. Most noteworthy is Marduk's symbolic elevation over Enlil, who was seen by earlier Mesopotamian civilizations as the king of the gods.

If the Hebrews had really just copy catted their origins myth, then we're missing a lot of information that should have actually been copycatted.

At best, the only position (after actually reading a good portion of the Enuma Elish), one might take is to say that a few details were added or perhaps changed from the Hebrew myth to parallel the EE.

2). The Bab myth, is cultic in its function. The Heb myth is devoid of this, as I stated above.
3). That the Heb myth starts with "In the beginning," finds no parallel in the Bab myth.
4). Light, in both accounts is around before the celestial bodies are to power it, but in the Bab it has its origin in diety, whereas in the Heb account it is created by God.
5). The seperation of things is not just found in the Heb and Bab, but in various other cultures as well, and so could just as well support the "common source" hypothesis for all cultures, if you please.
6). The Heb has the creation of plants and animals that the Bab curiously is missing.
7). Celestial bodies are created in reverse, according to the Heb myth and it lacks the astrological quality of the Bab myth as well. Though both say that celestial bodies are to be used for time keeping, many cultures used it for time keeping...so....
8). The Bab myth talks about gates at the east and west of the (supposedly) flat earth, which they likely believed in. If the Jews also believed in a flat earth, and were just copy catting, then where did this little detail go?
9). The creation of man, although similar (divine "spark", and dust or dirt), is oddly (for a copy cat myth) more 'sophisticated' in the Heb version.
10). In the Bab account, man is created to perform menial tasks. However, in the Heb account man is given the image of God, and "image" language in other cultures is used to denote a ruler. So either the Hebrews expanded this ruler attribute to all men, or "power hungry" Bab rules took this away. It seems likely to me (in agreement with my source) that, in the case of copy catting, its less likely that the Heb would add this attribute to all men.
11). In the Bab account, the supposed parallel to God resting is the throwing of a party by all the other gods.

Its interesting to me to see skeptics that hold to this babylonian parallel, while others discard it because they see parallels from other cultures, like the Egyptians instead.

I would say that I agree with the Christian position that (concerning the cultural data from ALL cultures), the likely answer is that there was a common source for pretty much every creation myth. The similarities between the Bab and Heb accounts are hardly what one would expect from a copy cat myth, and if that's the case then it fits well with the "common source" pattern.

"The task force finds that...the unborn child is a whole human being from the moment of fertilization, that all abortions terminate the life of a human being, and that the unborn child is a separate human patient under the care of modern medicine."
Re: Bible apologetics [Re: Kinji_2007] #117397
03/16/07 20:48
03/16/07 20:48
K
Kinji_2007 Offline
Kinji_2007  Offline
K

@ Doug

Quote:

I'm not saying that the Bible is bad, but I can't see how you can follow it 100% because

We cant follow it 100%. We can only try our best and hope mercy covers the rest. :-) Keep in mind that the Bible was written by man. Inpired by God of course but man is bound to make errors. Another factor could be the fact that the original scrolls were copied so many different times.. theres no way for it to be perfect unless Gods own hand reached down and made it that way. I am well aware of so many mistakes and contradictions yet I accept that over the years a few things got twisted just a little.

@ PHeMoX

Consider the names you quoted are considered as "pagan" sources. Of course they wouldnt write about miracles. A example is this quote..

Quote:

It has been noted that Suetonius considered Christ (Chrestus) as a Roman insurgent who stirred up seditions under the reign of Claudius

These pagan writers most likely didnt believe that Jesus did anything out of the normal. He may even be dubbed a trouble maker. They in fact prove he existed though. Tell me the name of one person in the world that hates you the most. I'll ask them to describe you and see what they say. Surly not good. And then again, maybe you dont have any enemies at all.

You'll have to elaborate on this one..

Quote:

Josephus, a methodical, accurate and dedicated historian of the time mentions John the Baptist, Herod, Pilate and many aspects of Jewish life but does not mention Jesus.

We are talking about Flavius Josephus right?

18:3:3, "Now there was about this time Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man; for he was a doer of wonderful works, a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ. And when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him; for he appeared to them alive again the third day; as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him. And the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day."

20:9:1, "Festus was now dead, and Albinus was but upon the road; so he assembled the Sanhedrim of judges, and brought before them the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others, [or, some of his companions]; and when he had formed an accusation against them as breakers of the law, he delivered them to be stoned: but as for those who seemed the most equitable of the citizens, and such as were the most uneasy at the breach of the laws, they disliked what was done;"

I appreciate the decent conversation. ;-)

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: Kinji_2007] #117398
03/16/07 21:37
03/16/07 21:37
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Those are not 'pagan' sources, that's backpeddling what you're doing now, thóse are infact thé sources that could really have proven wether or not Jesus existed, but nope they do not even mention his name, nothing. Even a trouble maker as 'big' as jesus would have been mentioned, especially in the negative sense, but nope not even that.

Quote:

We are talking about Flavius Josephus right?

And again I say check your source, because thát's not what's inside Antiquities of the Jews, and that's not what good old Flavius has said. You can go on believe in what you wish, I don't really care, but don't quote e-sword or BibleWorks unless you've looked inside the sources they 'quote' yourself please. Thank you.

Quote:

I appreciate the decent conversation. ;-)

Yeah, I had a great laugh too, I like the peaceful way of it too. It did remind me a bit of that one fellow here a long time ago trying to prove something was true by saying 'hey, but I found it on the internet, so it múst be true', but still.

Quote:

How is it inaccurate?

There's no physical evidence that it ever happened, unless you consider 1 chariot (infact they've found only 2 or 3 chariot wheels, but enough to assume there was 1 chariot) to be a whole army. It has definately not happened on the scale the bible describes, this is even more true for the 'massive battles'.

Quote:

Well, that gets into the creation-evolution debate, so I'll let this one go.

Well, no not really, there should be evidence in geological contexts if a global flood had ever occured. There is no such evidence, thus there is no reason to assume it has ever happened. Apart from that, a lot of species have survived for millions of years and the earth is a couple of billion years old, although the 100% exact age is still unknown the rough figure of something around 4.5 billion years is very very accurate. Those are facts too which makes parts of the bible impossible. And again the 'no the fossils are a test of God for mankind' is just yet another backpeddling argument. It's not hard to understand why you're actually skipping some of these points,

Cheers

Re: Bible apologetics [Re: PHeMoX] #117399
03/16/07 22:32
03/16/07 22:32
K
Kinji_2007 Offline
Kinji_2007  Offline
K

lol Now this conversation is getting funny. That is not a quote from Antiquities?

Book 18 Chapter 3

And yes these fellas are considered pagan:

Suetonius (did mention Christ)
Pliny the Younger
Tacitus

Your info is slightly wrong.

Last edited by Kinji_2007; 03/16/07 23:15.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite