by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (degenerate_762, AndrewAMD), 877 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: PHeMoX] #121759
04/10/07 07:20
04/10/07 07:20
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
Viva piņata is a piece of crap , why even worry about it's shaders , they only use shaders so that the game will be taken seriously , but you can achieve a similar looking pile of garbage withought them as well.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #121760
04/10/07 07:29
04/10/07 07:29
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
Agreed. It looks retarded. But at least it has good graphics [overuse of shaders]...

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #121761
04/10/07 20:32
04/10/07 20:32
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Quote:

Viva piņata is a piece of crap , why even worry about it's shaders , they only use shaders so that the game will be taken seriously , but you can achieve a similar looking pile of garbage withought them as well.

Oh, what a prudent comment.

First: Do better graphics! Attacking someone others artworks is easy. It is like those little dogs. They do so much noise.

Second: I would be happy and I mean really happy when I could get so fantastic shadows. Look at the tree and the self-shadowing at it! Amazing. I wonder why this "piece of crap" looks so good.
And look at the shading, the lighting!

I also do not like this cartoon style but I never would call it crap.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: Machinery_Frank] #121762
04/10/07 20:33
04/10/07 20:33
Netherlands
bstudio Offline
User
bstudio  Offline
User

Netherlands
well, it's a quite good game. I actually like the style

BASIC programmers never die, they GOSUB and don't RETURN.
Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: bstudio] #121763
04/11/07 02:00
04/11/07 02:00
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
It's a stupid game , that did poorly in sales , because no one wants to play it. Yes , I can see all the shaders and nice lighting and shadow system , but it's all wasted for such a cartoony looking game , why even bother going through the trouble of having all those shaders and nice lighting/shadow system in a game where you really wont notice them or care for them. Beautifull shadows are really appreciated in a game like silent hill or resident evil , or doom 3 , but no one will even pay attention to them in a game like viva piņata , same with normals mapping and HDR lighting and all that nice stuff , all appreciated in games like HL2 , Gears of War , and the like, but pretty much go unnoticed in a game as cartoony and weird as viva piņata. Now , to make my point clear , I'm not saying the dev team behind viva piņata shouldnt have used them , because they are more than likely a team thats backed by a good publisher and with ample funding , so implementing next gen things like shaders is almost a must for them , but for us , the indies , it would really be a waste of time to go thorugh all the trouble of implementing all those nice systems for a game that looks like that , you can achieve a very similar looking game with just slightly above average poly count on your models , and colorfull textures , which is why my reply read , "why even worry about it's shaders" , because if you are an indie with a small or no budget , why waste your time , it's not worth it unless your going for a gears of war type title , other than that i'd say forget about shaders , and concentrate on style and gameplay.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #121764
04/11/07 02:49
04/11/07 02:49
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
What's your source for this? Rare's games usually sell rather well..

Quote:

other than that i'd say forget about shaders , and concentrate on style and gameplay.

This is something I really agree with though, it should be in a sticky in the 'Starting with Gamestudio' threads. Don't focus on shaders at all as long as the game style and gameplay are total crap. Those need to be good first, otherwise no shader in the world would do any good.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: PHeMoX] #121765
04/11/07 04:22
04/11/07 04:22
England
TigerTao Offline
TigerTao  Offline

England
Its a fine line. I think the potential of shaders can help create some unique looking games like Killer7 and Okami when used in the right manner. Though both of these games could be just as playable if ultra realistic shaders were thrown at them, they would not be so appealing.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: TigerTao] #121766
04/11/07 04:30
04/11/07 04:30
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Yes, but that has everything to do with their style, not necessarily the use or absence of shaders in these games. Both are pretty solid games, the shaders are not just a gimmick so to say,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: PHeMoX] #121767
04/11/07 06:26
04/11/07 06:26
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline OP
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline OP
Serious User

San Francisco
I'd say this is an effective use of shaders to reinforce a unique visual design.

Quote:

because if you are an indie with a small or no budget , why waste your time , it's not worth it unless your going for a gears of war type title , other than that i'd say forget about shaders

Why? It's not like it's a huge deal to add or use a shader in an indie game. I have been developing my indie project for 3 years without shaders, in a6 extra, creating what I hope is a unique visual style. For me to put a little post-processing bloom shader on top of it has been easy and opened up a new graphic design dimension. It is another paintbrush for the studio. New technology is not a substitute for design or creativity, but like anything, it is about the designer.

Some people make the same "why bother if you are an indie" comments about working in 3D instead of flash, too!

Quote:

that did poorly in sales , because no one wants to play it. Yes , I can see all the shaders and nice lighting and shadow system , but it's all wasted for such a cartoony looking game

I think poor sales would have more to do with their demographic base-- VP is a Nintendo style game, made for a mostly sports-action console. It's refreshing to see MS at least try to use their acquisition of Rare for something different. (Poor Rare!)

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: JetpackMonkey] #121768
04/11/07 07:13
04/11/07 07:13
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Quote:

Don't focus on shaders at all as long as the game style and gameplay are total crap. Those need to be good first, otherwise no shader in the world would do any good.

This is not a very smart statement at my mind.

You could even say: "Don't focus on textures" or "Don't focus on 3d, make it 2d".

And at the end I would even partially agree. Yes. Of course you have to create a good prototype that plays well, makes fun and addictive. After that you have to care for style, graphics and appearance. Textures, models and shaders are only parts of it.

But it is not very smart to say shaders are not for the Indies. You will simply loose against great projects like "Ankh" (made with Ogre and a lot of shaders).

Shaders are not a future technology. They are basic. A shader can help to render faster even faster than FFP in many cases. It helps the CPU because GPU can calculate besides it. It creates decent lighting and details.

They are standard and should belong to every toolbox and hey: Look at all the engines out there and you will realize that they already belong to every toolbox.

Get out of your caves!

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Blink, Hummel, Superku 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de