by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (EternallyCurious, howardR), 646 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827
19046 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: Machinery_Frank] #121769
04/11/07 08:32
04/11/07 08:32
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

This is not a very smart statement at my mind.

You could even say: "Don't focus on textures" or "Don't focus on 3d, make it 2d".

I could, but I didn't. I said what I said how i wanted to say it. I understand your interpretation, but what I meant was; make sure your game is playable and has an interesting gameplay first (and that my friend doesn't involve graphics at all ). I wouldn't exactly call this prototyping, but you could call it that I suppose. Shaders are definitely not evil, quite the contrary, but too many people focus on shaders first, before even having a real game to start with.

Quote:

But it is not very smart to say shaders are not for the Indies.

True, and I never said it wasn't.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: PHeMoX] #121770
04/11/07 08:39
04/11/07 08:39
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

But don't forget: Often some people want to have fun only. They want to have beautiful worlds right from the beginning, want to show some screen shots and impress their friends. They never will finish a game.

But some nice artworks and shaders can bring them fun. And to be honest: Most of the Conitec customers are that kind of fun-customers.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: Machinery_Frank] #121771
04/11/07 09:32
04/11/07 09:32
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
So true, in a way, I am one of them.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: PHeMoX] #121772
04/11/07 22:48
04/11/07 22:48
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
Yes frank , here's the thing about shaders , adding a little bloom and the like are simple shaders which anyone can add , and will help the over all look. But normal mapping , is another thing , let me put it this way , after getting quotes from MANY modelers , a quote for a regular model with a texture is around 400-500, even 300 if you get a not so pro guy , now , a model with texture and a normal map will quote from 2000 to 3000 , and by normal mapping I mean "real" normal mapping , i.e. , creating a low poly model , then an extremely high poly model , and then get the normal map from the high poly model to use on the low poly one. It's so much more work to do , you HAVE heard of the 30 million dollar budgets dev teams are getting nowadays for making xbox360 and PS3 games right ? Normal mapping is USELESS if you make a normal map from a low poly model and apply it to itself , in fact , it's retarded to do so , and i've seen thats what many "indies" do think they now have the next gen normal mapping , when in fact that does little to nothing for the model and is a waste of time. Now , the 30 million dollar budgets are very real , and thats why games have shot up to $59 per title , all of the proffesional and commercial developers have stated how much more work it is to make the next gen games and how much more it costs , now this are the people who are making the games you see in the store , and make millions of dollars , and have millions of dollars in budgets , and they are stating how much harder it is development wise to make a next gen game. So how can "YOU"(someone with "NO" commercial game experience whatsoever , much less creating next gen games experience) say it's not much more difficult to add normal mapping and shaders to an indie game ? Are you stupid ? Unless your talking about the cheap fake normal mapping I mentioned earlier , which is "USELESS" and "POINTLESS". I think you should pull your head out of your ass before you speak Frank , and do research about the things your talking about , as I have yet you see any next gen games or models or any type of next gen art coming from you.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #121773
04/11/07 23:38
04/11/07 23:38
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Quote:

So how can "YOU"(someone with "NO" commercial game experience whatsoever , much less creating next gen games experience) say it's not much more difficult to add normal mapping and shaders to an indie game ? Are you stupid ? Unless your talking about the cheap fake normal mapping I mentioned earlier , which is "USELESS" and "POINTLESS". I think you should pull your head out of your ass before you speak Frank , and do research about the things your talking about , as I have yet you see any next gen games or models or any type of next gen art coming from you.

Wow, big emotional words from a person like you. This tells clearly who breaks the forum rules on this board. I will notify a moderator about this.

Besides that I don't have to "pull my head out of my ass" (wow, what a great break on forum rule, absolutely insulting, just like calling me stupid for no reason at all).
I do modelling with Lightwave, ZBrush and Bodypaint and we will offer a next-gen-character pack very soon at Dexsoft.
I know what I am doing. You are only guessing. Modelling in Z-Brush works even faster than the old way in Lightwave or 3ds-Max. Details can be added very quickly on a 2 million high-poly model. You can paint them with brushes like you paint your textures.
It does not need 10-times of your time and not 10-times of the money.
You will see it, when we launch our model pack.

You simply talk about things that you do not understand.

And by the way: I have experience with creating normal-maps. I created hundreds of textures with normal-maps. Our latest sci-fi texture pack sells very well and delivers normal, spec, height and color maps. They are created from 2d and 3d contents.
And our new character pack is on the way.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: Machinery_Frank] #121774
04/12/07 00:52
04/12/07 00:52
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
People, don't feed trolls and they will go away.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: Doug] #121775
04/12/07 06:27
04/12/07 06:27
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Quote:

People, don't feed trolls and they will go away.

Sorry, I don't understand this phrase. I know trolls only from fantasy movies and games.

My problem with WhyDoIDie and this thread is the following:

His behaviour is clearly insulting (like always).

He makes false statements all the time and does not know about the things he writes, e.g.:

He states that I have no experience with commercial games. He cannot know that and in fact I worked on Betti, Numberland, Dexon Knight - all commercial game projects that sell very well.
I also helped with Memowar and a few Torque-Projects.

Game programmers world-wide buy my models and textures.

WhyDoIDie stated that I do not know about Normal-Mapping. But I wrote a few articles about that topic for the German 3dgs-magazine. I used plug-ins, Melody, O.R.B. and 2d-tools to create normal-maps.

This shows clearly that a bginner like WhyDoIDie is insulting people without any reasons, calling them stupid. I experienced that a few times now and hope that this will end with or without the help of the moderators.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: Machinery_Frank] #121776
04/12/07 07:10
04/12/07 07:10
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
trolls are also people who go thru forums only looking to insult ideas/beliefs/techniques

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: lostclimate] #121777
04/12/07 07:29
04/12/07 07:29
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Quote:

trolls are also people who go thru forums only looking to insult ideas/beliefs/techniques

Ah, thanks for this explanation.

Re: Viva Pinata's shaders and materials [Re: Machinery_Frank] #121778
04/12/07 08:03
04/12/07 08:03
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
Yes Frank , your games look like nintendo 64 games , how is possible that you can create all this killer next-gen art easily and none of your games can even be considered last-gen , they're more like ps1 games. Doesnt this contradict you completely ? If you can make such good art and easily , then why dont you put any of it into your game projets ? They clearly look like playstation 1 rejects , how can this possibly be , seriously , how ? I would appreciate an answer to that. To back what your saying , dexoft knight would need to look at least like God of War , and I do say at least , because your talking about art of the caliber of Gears of War or Resistance Fall Of Man. I would love to see you create such a game with gamestudio , if your as capable as you say , you should do it , who knows , you might be good enough to make it by yourself , and withought a budget , but as far as the everyone else goes , well for both of those titles they had at least 50 people working on the games with 30 million dollar budgets to make them , you must be some kind of super developer if you can do the same on your own and with no budget. Even the games before this next gen was were costing more than a pretty penny to make and had teams of over 50 people to develop them , yet you sit there and say that making next-gen art is nothing complicated , and is in fact easy and cheap. All this talk and nothing but sega saturn looking games, really backs up what you say , lol.
Still , dont know why I'm being portrayed as a troll , as I am merely stating pure facts , while Frank keeps stating pure thoughts.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Blink, Hummel, Superku 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de