by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (M_D, AndrewAMD), 1,222 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: ICEman] #125183
04/20/07 19:22
04/20/07 19:22
germany, dresden
ulf Offline
Serious User
ulf  Offline
Serious User

germany, dresden
@fastlane... shure the publisher does take a risk, but look. they can see and test a finished game like mine for example before! they publish it. they should have enough knowledge to not license a crap game from me. that is the whole point.

i just wanted to say that a hobbyist should not spend too much money because he cant be shure that the game will sell well enough that he doesnt end up in the reds. but thats just my opinion.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: ulf] #125184
04/20/07 19:54
04/20/07 19:54
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Adding that qualifier "hobbyiest" makes all the difference and in that we agree. If this is a hobby to you, you shouldn't sink too much money into it because you won't get it back. Of course if you have money to burn, then by all means sink away.

But what you say about publishers is true but even then it's a risk. After all, they may find it fun and it won't sell or they may find it boring and it will sale. There is no guaranteed way to know what a product will do and therein lies the risk. I'm only taking exception to your comment that it is ZERO risk to the publisher when there is alway risk.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: fastlane69] #125185
04/20/07 20:01
04/20/07 20:01
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

Hence my inquiry as to how some of you got working

I used a bootstrap method:
Year 1: Built a small prototype (0 USD).
Year 2: Used this to raise some funds for a larger prototype (a few hundred USD).
Year 3: Used this to raise some funds for an even larger prototype (a few thousand USD).
Year 4: Once the prototype was convincing enough, I used it to raise enough money to build a demo (a few ten thousand USD).
Year 5: I'm currenlty building the demo that will (ideally) attract the investors to actually build the game (a few million USD).

I'm creating an MMOG so you can actually do this much quicker and for less target money but the approach is the same: "Dream Big, Start Small".

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: fastlane69] #125186
04/20/07 20:14
04/20/07 20:14
Michigan
ICEman Offline OP
Developer
ICEman  Offline OP
Developer

Michigan
The boostrap method is not really possible, or at least I am not finding it to be.

As I do not program, it would be immensely difficult to prototype even. Rest assured, though, if I could, this would not even be a discussion, lol.

My specific item requires a comparatively small amount (roundabout 20k.. 25 at most), most of which development costs.. that I based on the last time I went scouting for developers. It's a small amount compared to what it will generate (it has a target revenue that it either will or wont hit to completion by end of term), but it's an amount that would have to come from a loan of some type, most likely.

Why couldn't I boostrap? Well, mostly because I don't have all the skills needed to do so, and I've never heard of anyone that does, who would do even prototype level working for free.. or even cheaply. Almost everyone's mercinary, busy with a project, or both.

I wish that was the case, though. Then maybe I could boostrap it enough to build something that visually demonstrates the design, so that I could either sell SkySpace or acquire the funds to put it all the way to manifest myself ( which I'd much prefer).

I have, however, come to the conclusion that that isnt.

I'm ICEman, and I approved this message.
Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: ICEman] #125187
04/20/07 22:13
04/20/07 22:13
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

As I do not program, it would be immensely difficult to prototype even.

A small prototype doesn't just have to be a small 3DGS mockup.
It can be many things:

It can be a pen-and-paper game that shows your gameplay.
It can be a storyboard showing how your game flows.
It can be a game design document with enough detail to "show" the game.
It can be a choose-your-own adventure book that showcases your idea and game.

Quote:

Why couldn't I boostrap? Well, mostly because I don't have all the skills needed to do so,

But the bottom line my friend is that if you are serious about this, then, by your own words, you would learn how to program. Otherwise you just aren't serious about this. I know this sounds harsh but if programming is the obsticle and programming on a game engine meant for 15 year olds is just not for you, then one has to wonder just how much you want to release this.

Do you think I wanted to learn about networking, about server communication, about client side prediction in my quest to make my game? That I wanted to spend the last five years finding out about project management and business mangement and business practices and legal issues in game design? Don't you think I wouldn't have been a lot happier telling someone about my great idea, about how it's a "sure bet" and how it would make tons of money, so they could pay for it entirely? Of course I would! Who wouldn't! Hell, I tried and failed and that is where I learned about where the money comes from and where it goes. Nobody invests in ideas or un-validated claims of how much money my idea will make. No, they only invest in experience and effort.

Now it's up to you to demonstrate that you can put forth the effort to make it worth someones 25k USD. Now it's up to you to prove that you have the experience to manage that money well. Otherwise, why would they give you the money? Why would they risk their money on someone with no experience and no effort?

Bottom Line: If you're not willing to take the hard road to raising money, a road which is lengthy, risky, and a road that may lead to no where, then you will NEVER get the money. If on the other hand you are willing to sacrifice because your baby must be born, it just MUST, then you will do everything for that baby... you will bleed and suffer and work and learn until you can finally, incrementally, see that baby be born. And then, and only then, will people come up and say "What a beautiful baby! Here is some money for it's college fund."

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: fastlane69] #125188
04/21/07 01:27
04/21/07 01:27
Michigan
ICEman Offline OP
Developer
ICEman  Offline OP
Developer

Michigan
Well.. I guess I don't not program..

That's a little innacurate. I have the time to learn it, like I had the time to learn other programming languages and if I end up getting mad enough, I'll do just that.

But supposing you had an idea pertaining to mechanical engineering.. would it make more sense to round up and consult established mechanical engineers or go get a masters degree in mechanical engineering so that you could build it all yourself and answer all your own questions?

At this moment I'm expanding my programming knowledge, and if I beat the punch learning it versus drafting a dedicated programmer, then I'll craft the entire shabang myself (though I wont be paying myself by the hour so it still wont take me 8 year to finish it).

I don't think anyone would give money for anything. But if I knew how to go about presenting what I have put together (des. docs.. visual aids, demos etc), I wouldn't be asking around to find out how everyone else went about getting the funding for their games.

That.. was my inquiry.

Mind you.. games can be bootstrapped, because they don't really have set costs, but this really can't be.

It costs money for the artwork to be done, the lines of code to be written, the server and client software to be written and compiled, and it costs money to be advertised. Very little of it can be winged without money, though I am carrying that torch as far as it'll go, currently.

It has costs for things that can't be avoided, thus the need to acquire the funding. Conversely, I'd be pretty foolish to expect it "given" because I need it.

If that were so, you're right, we'd all be pretty well off. My current dilemma (though it wont be much of one for much longer if my current pace of learning keeps up..) is that even the smallest of the small prototypes would take quite a bit of work and expertise, most of which (granted not all) I don't have.

This is not so different than any of your projects.. I've only seen one person build a game, start to finish (though what I'm crafting isnt a game..) by himself.

Though it was in terrible shape that still was a marvel, (for fear or reprisal I wont mention who it was or what game it was, but I think you all can remember a certain person who's game got thrown to the lions here, because it was.. well.. like jelly as games go.. though it was an impressive effort he put forth) in my opinion.. but an absolute rarity.

I think my point is that it's passionate, but woefully innefficient to go it alone. I'm sure I'm not the only one who agrees.

Mind you, I could. I have the zeal for it and I'm selfish enough, under the right circumstances. I'd even do it right, as I am a perfectionist at everything I do, and as my "baby" there's no way I'd put crap out there for the world to see.

I don't put the ICEman seal of approval on any of my models until they are done completely right.

But I'd rather work with a team of those who have a reasonable certainty of what they're doing in their field of expertise. I'd rather us build a relationship.

I'd rather dish out contract payment+bonus for outstanding product. Why? Because that's how entertainment software is made.

Bill Gates made Microsoft, but all its software products were made by his league of extraordinary geeks. Not just him.

As I have found, good troops respond well to money, and not much else. That part is a simple understanding.

Paid troops=hard work=finished, functional, well made product/prototype.

I.. suppose you could count my animated (not programmed) versions as prototypes, but they only seem to serve in demonstrating the idea.. very well too. I'm good with visual aids. my emphasis here is

I could go in front of an angel this moment, now.. with what I've crafted for it.. then build it all myself.. spend all his money.. pay him his principal+return+bonus (I do business the japanese way sometimes..) a year later.. and keep all the taxable profit myself.

I'd rather build this with a team, I'd rather build what comes after it with a team, but if I continue to have no luck in that effort, I most likely will boostrap-toothpaste-hammer-and-nail it.

I'd rather it not be my own personal infernal machine, though. Surely that has to make some sense.

Last edited by ICEman; 04/21/07 01:58.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: ICEman] #125189
04/21/07 07:55
04/21/07 07:55
germany, dresden
ulf Offline
Serious User
ulf  Offline
Serious User

germany, dresden
i agree that if you have that! idea that noone had bevore and this idea will sell well. you should after checking pros and cons risk that probably. but be careful not to ruin your personal life for an idea.

@ fastlane: as for publishers i got offered some contracts and always there is some sentence that says like "if someone complains about the product or an damage to our image is done, you have to pay for that" i cant translate this a 100% but it works like this: image a company licenses your game, you signed such a contract, then a testmagazine somewhere gives the game 3% out of 100% possible and finds like 3 bugs in the game. this article is published. then imagine 3 customers complain about the game. further imagine your game wont sell.
this scenario is not uncommon.

the publisher can then sue you(at least in germany) for a) the money he possibly lost due to the image damage caused by you b) you have to pay for all copies the retail store sends back to the publisher.

now i dont see where there is a risk for the publisher? their contracts are made so that they have really zero risk, believe me. even if the game sucks they can come back to you and sue you for money. that thought in mind compared to the low revenues most publishers offer are really insane for a indie. thats probably why a lot of them go for self publishing online.

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: ulf] #125190
04/21/07 14:59
04/21/07 14:59
Michigan
ICEman Offline OP
Developer
ICEman  Offline OP
Developer

Michigan
@ ulf

Exactly, bru. I weighed most of the pros and cons out when I came up with the idea.. shortly following the " holy crap.. that's a great idea" stage.

Also.. as a bit of a gestive sidenote:

I've ruined my personal life for every other reason.. why not one that wont cheat on me

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: fastlane69] #125191
04/21/07 15:09
04/21/07 15:09
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Nardulus Offline
Serious User
Nardulus  Offline
Serious User

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Fastlane is offering really solid advice.

I only have a few things to add.

1) Raising Capital is not an "Art" it is a "Science". You will need factual evidence that you will be able to produce a product using the funds. You will also need to supply solid histroical evidence that your game will sell x number of copies.

2) Think past just raising the funds. How are you going to pay that money back and what is the acceptable return for the investor. They are thinking in dollars, you need to also.

It's really not about the game it's about the money. If you can not demostrate that concpet to the person you are asking money from, you will have a hard time getting the funds.

Ken

Re: The Art of Raising Capitol [Re: Nardulus] #125192
04/21/07 16:00
04/21/07 16:00
Michigan
ICEman Offline OP
Developer
ICEman  Offline OP
Developer

Michigan
@ fast and nard

I agree, completely.

These are steps I have already gone through, and go through repeatedly for freshness. Again, I know enough not to think that just a blank toilet seat idea will get attention.

My "How" most refers to.. who sought investors, who ran side businesses to raise the money, who sought mob loans (jk).

I've heard some people say they wrote grants (in my private convos with people over the years).

I think, though, I may have answered my own question somewhere in this. Still, this is good info for others.

I'm looking for resources more than an idiots guide to getting an investment.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de