Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,014 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Why do you belive/not belive in god? #126191
04/25/07 02:43
04/25/07 02:43
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline OP
Expert
sPlKe  Offline OP
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
i dont want to start a discussion if god exists or not. this cant be proven anyway.
what i want to know is, why do you belvie or not belive in him?

i find it amusing that poeple who have everything belvie in god but people who have nothing does not, while in other countries, people who have nothing belive in god just to have something to hold on...

pretty strange...

i for one, do not belive in god. my childhood was hard, not worht living and in fact, when i look aroudn in the world, i cannot see anything that makes me belive. nothing i see makes me think: i cant explain that, maybe there is a god, or oh good is looking over us ect...

it just does not make sense to me. besides, when i hear all that praising to god, i come to the conclusion that god really has issues. if he is almighty, the highest of the highest, why does he need our support? and who made him anyway?

Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: sPlKe] #126192
04/25/07 03:00
04/25/07 03:00
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
i believe in God, coz i was raised that way. there was no significant cause of this belief, but i've always believed it wholeheartedly. He doesn't need our support, but appreciates our praise.

sorry not a huge in-depth reply. i'm a little busy at the moment but i thought i'd contribute.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: JibbSmart] #126193
04/25/07 04:06
04/25/07 04:06
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

I dont believe in God because there is no reason to. There is no reasonable evidence that would lead one to believe that any kind of god exists. All we see in the universe are natural processes, so is it not logical that the universe is natural?

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #126194
04/25/07 05:22
04/25/07 05:22
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
i believe in god cuz... why not? i figure someone has to be right, so far from what i've heard of religions christianity is the closest to logical, so thats my choice, whats that harm, its better than saying im not going to even keep an open mind because there isnt incredible solid evidence and even on what an athiest might call an "off" chance that i am right, well then my ass is covered

Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: lostclimate] #126195
04/25/07 09:24
04/25/07 09:24
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
I don't believe in God, because rationally and physically I don't think a God can really exist.

God usually is the answer to a lot of unanswered questions, well, that's not a got reason to believe in a God, nor does it make sense if you say 'it was God' every time you don't have an answer to a question.

Apart from the fact that there's really no supporting evidence, you can't really prove the concept based upon events in life. It's perfectly legit to demand some evidence before believing some ancient 'fairytale' for all we truly know. I'm also by far not convinced that the Bible is historical when it comes to most of the stories, quite the contrary actually. I also know that in Christianity and other religions they use the same methods of 'indoctrination', the same psychological tricks to convince people. Well, in short; I don't trust people who want to trick me into believing something, or say I would end up in hell otherwise. I mean, seriously, what kind of reasoning is that? You must believe in something you do not yet believe in otherwise you'll end up in something I also do not yet believe in. Riiiight, next ...

Besides, look around you, in great parts of the world people are living in such bad conditions and they sure as heck do not get help from anything supernatural, nor do I think that they all 'deserve' the lives they have. On the opposite side of things, when I look in my close vicinity I've got plenty of friendships, joy and love in my life, so it's also not true that you have to believe in order to 'receive' a nice life or something. (again, not a reason for which I would believe in a God in the first place, but at least we can all conclude that there's no such thing as a 'supernatural santa claus'.)

Most religious people I've talked to were mostly very unhappy with their lives. Not sure what I can conclude out of that, but some are really really envious and a lot of people that call themselves Christians can't actually be trusted and do not practice what they preach (7+ years of experience with this).

I'm also not believing in God, because, when in doubt, I usually go with what I do know, and that's the fact that evidence is non-existing. When there are no clues, no shred of evidence, no indirect indications that anything supernatural controls this world, well, sorry, but then I simply can't believe in God even if I wanted to.

Quote:

its better than saying im not going to even keep an open mind because there isnt incredible solid evidence

I'm not going to attack your opinion, because everyone may believe in what they wish, but what makes you think non-believers do not keep an open mind? Usually I think it's the other way around, people are so stuck in their religious belief that nothing else, even proof of the exact opposite of their beliefs, would convince them. Not quite an open mind, right? Again, nothing personal, I just hear this statement often,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: PHeMoX] #126196
04/25/07 10:00
04/25/07 10:00
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
I don't believe in God because I don't want to. I don't want to give away the responsibility for my life to someone else, and I want to define the purpose of my existence myself.

Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: jcl] #126197
04/25/07 10:19
04/25/07 10:19
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Let's say that we should distinguish an emotional and a rational approch towards religion
The former is known as "faith"
You and me have not been given this gift
The latter is still, in my opinion, a open discussion

Suppose for a while that science should prove , with a reasonable degree of accuracy , that God does exist
Should you still claim that you dont beleive in God because you dont want..?

I dont think so, me not for sure

Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: AlbertoT] #126198
04/25/07 10:31
04/25/07 10:31
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Well, the fact that science has found no trace of god gives you the choice to believe in him or not - just as you want. If God would suddenly appear in a telescope, you wouldn't have that choice anymore, naturally.

Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: jcl] #126199
04/25/07 11:47
04/25/07 11:47
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

I simply mean that it makes no sense ,in my opinion , to look for an explanation for not beleiving in God

It is a circular reasoning
If God exists then you should be forced to revise your opinions whatever they are

The only consistent answer is :

I dont beleive in God because I have not got the faith
In other words it is an emotional approch not a rational one

Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: AlbertoT] #126200
04/25/07 12:52
04/25/07 12:52
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Lol, that's exactly what I don't understand. I do understand that religion isn't based on 'ratio'.

Quote:

I dont beleive in God because I have not got the faithIn other words it is an emotional approch not a rational one

Okey, but so far we don't know if God exists, we don't know if there ever will be physical evidence for "God", so far we've found literally nothing, so wouldn't it be rational to not take God for granted like many people do? Isn't the rational idea that you stick to what you know, the lack of evidence? I do totally agree that people who do have faith are having this purely based on the emotional approach as you've called it,

Cheers

Last edited by PHeMoX; 04/25/07 12:57.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite