Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, TipmyPip, ozgur), 860 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: jcl] #126201
04/25/07 13:04
04/25/07 13:04
South Africa
capanno Offline
Serious User
capanno  Offline
Serious User

South Africa
Quote:

Well, the fact that science has found no trace of god gives you the choice to believe in him or not - just as you want.

lol.

Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: capanno] #126202
04/25/07 13:38
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline OP
Expert
sPlKe  Offline OP
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
lets stray way from the topic a little bit.
some diggin into history provides us with the knowledge to know that there is no god.
ill back that up, here we go...

mostof you wont remember, but a few years ago, like thousand to twothousand or so, there were other cultures than nowadays. the greek, the rome culture and the nordics...

now there were more sure, like the egypts and stuff...

but they all hade one thing in common, despite their way to live, dress or belive: they had multiple gods...

you surely have heard a few names. zeus, odin, thor, ares, anubis ect...

actually, the only religion that ever had ONE god were the jews... or were they?

research provides us with the answer, that the jews originated from other cultures and basically merged. they too had more gods, as based on the other cultures, and for easier understanding, they gave them a name that resembles them all: jehova. so basically, jehova is not THE god, but merely the term for "gods"...

so waht happened? ever played silent letter? the game where you whisper your neighbor somethign into the ear, he whispers it to someone else and so on until the end somethign completely different comes out? exactly that happened...

the GODS became GOD and sicne christianity is actually a cheap ripoff of the jewish religion, influenced by the norse culture something liek this had to happen...

so basically, christianity as well as other religions i wont talk about here or else i have to fear a fundamentalist attack in my hometown is nothing more than an error that came to happen over time. belive it or not, thats scientific fact...

the long version of why i dont belive in god

Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: capanno] #126203
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

The only rational approch is agnosticism
Atheism and theism are emotional issues , in my opinion

Last edited by AlbertoT; 04/25/07 13:39.
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: AlbertoT] #126204
04/25/07 14:09
04/25/07 14:09
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline
Serious User

Greece
Quote:

Atheism and theism are emotional issues , in my opinion

Hey.. a fellow agnostic... ... sup?

Spike,

You needed a full post to discard Christianity? I can do it in 10 words: Talking snakes, stone-age dinosaurs, rainbow promises, gimme a break!

You explained why you don't believe in religions, but not why you don't believe in a God

INTENSE AI: Use the Best AI around for your games!
Join our Forums now! | Get Intense Pathfinding 3 Free!
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: AlbertoT] #126205
04/25/07 14:36
04/25/07 14:36
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Okey, well you got me there I guess, you are right. I was thinking as atheists more along the lines of agnostics. I myself am probably more a agnostic-atheist ... I know and accept that it's impossible to really know, but I do think chances are extremely small a God or Gods exist.

I'm well aware that the lack of evidence, theoretically speaking, can still mean God exists, but by the overwhelming lack of it (lol) I highly doubt it, apart from all other errors, misunderstanding and ignorance common in most current day religions.

I also totally agree with Spike's statement on history and the evolution of religions. How can Christianity for example claim to be 'the one religion and only truth'? They can't.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: PHeMoX] #126206
04/25/07 21:19
04/25/07 21:19
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Well I dont think anyone really answered Spike's question except for jcl and perhaps Spike himself a little bit, (I think Julz also answered correctly)though even Spike violated his own rule about not speaking about whether God exists.

The reason that this question is interesting to me is because it addresses the roots of our worldview, instead of the branches of that worldview.

What I mean is that everyone gets an opinion about beleiving in God somewhere in their lives and they get this opinion BEFORE they start to amass evidence which supports their opinion. Everyone has a bias. I have talked online at talk.origins to scientists who freely admit that they didnt believe in God long before they got the phd's and the knowledge they have gained specifically about evolution in their field. So that really rules out any sort of objectivity. I also know many people that dont know much about the theory of evolution at all yet they persistently believe that it is true. So facts and evidences dont determine our beliefs, they only strengthen them.

So I would not answer this question with something like "I believe in God because I see it in the fabric of creation" or "I believe in God because some higher justice HAS to account for all the atrocities of this world". I wouldnt say those reasons because they are evidences of my belief, they are not what caused the belief to begin with. I believed in God well before I started to think of actual reasons why I believe in God. The belief in God preceded my "reasons" for believing in God because God pre-cedes and super-cedes reason itself.

So my main answer to the question is "I really dont know why I believe." It is a primal belief, very close to the root of who I am. I have always believed in God, I cannot remember a time when I did not. It is a belief which I had as a child and (subsequently) I see no reason for denying it.

I did not "fabricate" my belief in order assuage fears of the unknown,or for something to "hold on" to. I did not know what church was or traditional religion was when I was a child..., the belief has just always been with me.

Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: NITRO777] #126207
04/26/07 00:07
04/26/07 00:07
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
[all opinions expressed in this post are simply OPINIONS!]

There is no god... There was a jesus christ, and he WAS a son of a non-existent god. HE DIED FOR NOTHING, but pride and fame. and you all live in his shadow. it's pathetic. Your crutch called religeon that gives you strength because you can forget your problems and pray that a savior will help you, but he won't! If this method works for you, then please, go for it. But don't be disapointed when theres nobody there...

You will hear nothihg but the echoes of silence in your head, blasphemy burnging into your tongue, the will of god stamped into your heart, and find nothing but lies. Believe in me, I'm the one that loves you...

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: NITRO777] #126208
04/26/07 06:47
04/26/07 06:47
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Quote:

Well I dont think anyone really answered Spike's question except for jcl and perhaps Spike himself....

I answered the question, and it is the only possible correct answer. JCL's answer is flawed because it implies that desire should influence assumption.

I dont believe in God (or gods) because there is no reason to do so. Nothing in the experience of life indicates that there is a supernatural supreme being. In fact all the evidence of observation reveals only natural processes. That doesn't disprove the existence of God, but you can't you disprove anything like this..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my opinion of God (which is irrelevant to the quesiton of belief):

If a supposed supreme being chose to reveal itself, I wouldn't be particularly interested in "worshipping" it, or "loving" it. Why would I? I would basically tell it to go jump in the lake because it is irrelevant to me. it amazes me that poeple care so much about God.. what good what it do you? What good is Heaven? What do you do there?

It's just not interesting, and frankly anyone who really wants this to be true is intellectually dull.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #126209
04/26/07 11:11
04/26/07 11:11
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Quote:

JCL's answer is flawed because it implies that desire should influence assumption.

But it does. Desire is the first cause of faith. People desired to be helped by a superior being, and to be rewarded in an afterlife. Thus Man created God.

I just have the advantage that my desire matches reason. The wishes of Atheists - that no god may exist - were fulfilled by God, who does them the favor not to exist.

This is unlike the wishes of Theists - that God may exist - which weren't answered by God so far. What can we conclude? God hates Theists, and loves Atheists.

Re: Why do you belive/not belive in god? [Re: jcl] #126210
04/26/07 11:24
04/26/07 11:24
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

JCL's answer is flawed because it implies that desire should influence assumption.

This is what I tried to explain in my previous post

Apart from that, while I definitly understand that "desire" can lead to theism , the opposite is a mistery to me
Atheism seems to be, for some people, a sort of faith.
Does anyone really wish to turn into dust ?
I dont think so

You can have a "bias" for religion but the other way round is a nonsense

Just the bloody , crude evidences can lead people to atheism

Last edited by AlbertoT; 04/26/07 11:27.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite