by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 905 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Cipher] #126655
05/07/07 02:52
05/07/07 02:52
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
this is true , I agree , I guess for a big company the Unreal 3 engine is the way to go , as it is a very impressive engine , but still , all these engines prices do sound a but insane , but you make some good points.

Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #126656
05/07/07 09:38
05/07/07 09:38
South Africa
capanno Offline
Serious User
capanno  Offline
Serious User

South Africa
As long as people pay $750 000, they will keep selling it at $750 000. Supply and demand.

Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: capanno] #126657
05/07/07 17:54
05/07/07 17:54
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Hiya.

I think a BIG part of the problem is that the bean counters of the 'big publishers' wouldn't know a good game if it swam up their urethra. (Kinda like how Hollywood is now).

A potential game designer says "This is our game! Cool, huh?" and the publishers hear "Blaa blaa blaa". The game designer says "Look at all the stuff you can do in this game! Awesome, no?", and the publishers hear "Blaa blaa blaa". The game disigner says "Here's all the new twists we are putting into the story! They'll love it!", and the publishers hear "Blaa blaa blaa". ..at this point, the game designer realises that the publisher has no clue about what he's trying to get accross.. So, the game designer says "It's kinda like Halo, but we use this new 'next-gen' engine that costs $750,000", and the publishers hear "Halo, Next gen, $750k" and think "Wow! That *must* be good! Deal!".

You see, while a more advanced game engine is always nice (I'd LOVE to be able to use UnrealEngine v3!), it isn't usually neccissary if you have a good, solid game idea and execution. There are a LOT of free games out there on the net (all kinds, from MMO-style like Runescape, to RPG-card mixes like PuzzlePirates, to...well, just everything out there). Most of these games are/were made "on the cheap", and have a LOT of folks playing them. The current video game industry is suffering because of it's own success. A handful of hit games (DOOM, Unreal, Halo, Elder Scrolls, World of Warcraft, etc.) made MILLIONS...so now, every publisher and his goldfish expects to make millions. But, they are dealing with millions in development costs now because there is a misconception that "more expensive game engine = more successful game"; the writers of said game engines take/took advantage of that and said "Well, if they are getting millions, *I* want millions too!" and priced their 'next-gen' (by the GAWDS I'm really starting to hate that term!) game enigine with that price range in mind. As time has gone on, more and more developers and publishers just are not willing to risk $10-20 million on a new game style/concept/type when they don't know if it will suck. So, like Hollywood, they rely on "Well, has this been done before, recently, and did it succeed in makeing millions?" If the answer is "Nope, this is all new", then it's a no go. Oh, sure, it *could* be the next World Of Warcraft...or it could just outright flop. When the developer/pulbisher has put millions and millions into the development they just aren't willing or able to take that risk.

My theory is this: If a couple of genius programmers were to create a game engine as good or better than Offset, Unreal 3, CryEngine 2, etc., and then offer it for sale for 'dirt cheap' (say, "$1200), I guarantee we'd see more innovative games being released. I see a lot of indie level developers out there who have really cool ideas, interesting stories, intreging settings and characters, etc...but are hampered by the engine they use. So, these games may get made, but don't make any big waves because the developer/artist was forced to "dumb down" his ideas because the engine couldn't handle it.

Sorry, but $750k for a game engine is, IMHO, a *serious* problem for every potential game developer out there. That's why Project Offset pissed me off so much when they sold out.

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #126658
05/07/07 21:25
05/07/07 21:25
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
I've seen the Unreal 3 development tools in use. I also know a fair bit on how the engine works (not just graphics, but the object management system, components, physics, sound, AI, etc.) by talking with the developers.

IMHO: Unreal 3 is well worth the $750k price tag.

Yes, given enough time, talent, and effort you could create roughly the same games using 3DGameStudio as you could with Unreal 3. You could also create the same games using Microsoft's DirectX SDK and Bloodshed C++ (both free). The tools just make it *much* easier.

Quote:

..I see a lot of indie level developers out there who have really cool ideas, interesting stories, intreging settings and characters, etc...but are hampered by the engine they use.

I see a lot of people with great ideas but no easy way to create them. But it isn't the lack of 3D engines that stand in their way.

Even if you could buy all the AAA tools to create a game (3DMax, Maya, Unreal3, Offset, CryEngine, Blink, Havok, Endorphin, etc.) for $5, you wouldn't be any closer to creating an innovative game then I would be to creating a master work of art with all the paints I own. Tools don't make games, you make games with the tools.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Doug] #126659
05/08/07 01:21
05/08/07 01:21
C
Cipher Offline
Cipher  Offline
C

Hehe well we are sort of in agreement then

Doug is right in that the tools do not make the game, but they can certainly help reduce effort, cost etc.

This is a bit of what I was trying to say really --- tools are just tools. Average tools are just average, but they do not prevent you from making an excellant game. You can build a palace with a simple hammer.

The good ones are worth a reasonable amount. They will not automatically make an excellant game, or even any game. But the good tools certainly do help alleviate some of the hassles and annoyances of development.

Now a " reasonable amount " is pretty relative.

But one thing to note. " Next gen " costs are not due to the cost of an engine, SpeedTree, Maya, animation middleware and whatever software you purchase. These costs are relatively fixed and can be spread over a number of projects and time. Unreal 3, for example, will remain ( with enhancements )competitive circa 2012. Or at least Epic believes so

The Quake Engine was never 5 thousand USD. Likewise with NetImmerse / Gamebryo , Serious Engine and most other game engines. Yet that did not prevent game innovation or inflate development budgets to painful limits.

Rising costs are mostly the cost of labor. Of assembling a team of artists, writers, programmers, and the top-heavy management practices of today ( i.e. expensive rent like Konami ). Oh and marketing, cost rivals that of development itself.

And that brings us back to the idea of " good tools ". Good tools are important and well worth the cost simply because they save other costs of development.

As for whether 750 thousand USD is tooo high. Well it certainly is for me. But nothing prevents me from assembling my very own toolset to rival Unreal 3 or any other engine.

Maybe that's what the 3DGS community should do ?

Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Cipher] #126660
05/08/07 04:12
05/08/07 04:12
SC, United States
xXxGuitar511 Offline
Expert
xXxGuitar511  Offline
Expert

SC, United States
@Cipher: Thats what we've been doing

You see these countless contributions made in the comunity. What bothers me is that nobody ever puts them together...

xXxGuitar511
- Programmer
Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: xXxGuitar511] #126661
05/08/07 08:12
05/08/07 08:12
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Quote:

@Cipher: Thats what we've been doing

You see these countless contributions made in the comunity. What bothers me is that nobody ever puts them together...

That is an interesting point.

Putting some tools together like Sphere, IntenseAI, IceX2, the upcoming light-mapping tool from Ventilator ... fed with decent artworks ... all that could result in an amazing project.

But I think it is simply too much work for a single developer. A good team is needed. A team with members full of passion, loving details and their project.

And it might even be hard for a team talking via Internet. The new upcoming indie studios still go the conventional way: They work in the same room besides each other and talk with each other look over the shoulders of their buddies to work like a real team.

If you are a single man with a hammer then you will not build a castle, better to try a nice sculpture instead.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Machinery_Frank] #126662
05/08/07 09:41
05/08/07 09:41
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
building a sculpture with a hammer huh? that will be an ugly statue i spend the extra 750,000 for the chisel as well

but as for the idea of integrating things together, the biggest issue is making it all set in a well streamlined artwork pipline that still allows flexebility for programmers

Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: lostclimate] #126663
05/08/07 18:00
05/08/07 18:00
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
I'll just stick to last-gen for my games , lol.

Re: Better than Cryengine2 and Unreal Engine 3 [Re: Machinery_Frank] #126664
05/08/07 20:13
05/08/07 20:13
G
Ghost Offline
Ghost  Offline
G

@Frank,

You make a very good point. I'm thinking in the same way and though all these plugins are great and I apprecaite everyones' efforts, I feel like they are all (with the exception of IntenseX) really filling in things that should real be in the core enegine. I'm hoping the A7 we get by the end of the year will take a big step towards removing the need for most of these plugins and then by mid 2008 we get an update that gives us the full integrated toolset we all want.

What does everyone think - is that too optimistic a roadmap or very possible?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de