by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (EternallyCurious, AndrewAMD, TipmyPip, Quad), 889 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What the ?!?!, got a serious problem here... #12681
05/24/03 01:09
05/24/03 01:09

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hi,

I had written a bunch of scripts for a project and they were working just fine. It turned out I had to "rewrite" them for various reasons, so I did.

I just got finished troubleshooting all the type-O's and other errors and integrating the rewritten scripts into my level. I've changed only script--not the level itself in any way.

My problem is now I'm getting "error(97): missing keywords/nonexistent empty action..." errors for what appears to be ALL of my functions (hundreds of them!) [Frown] . I can't even begin to understand why this could be...

That error usually indicates the called function isn't present, but they are...and I've included the needed scripts...anybody seen anything like this before??? It may be something relatively simple...I'm using A5 5.51.

Thanks for any advice...

Re: What the ?!?!, got a serious problem here... #12682
05/24/03 01:47
05/24/03 01:47
Windsor, CT 06095
W
WildCat Offline
Expert
WildCat  Offline
Expert
W

Windsor, CT 06095
Hi burgs6811,

I know that must be pretty frustrating, but I'll bet you there is a simple answer and an easy (but possibly not quick) fix...

It sounds to me like you are missing a closing bracket "}" somewhere in you code.

What happens when this happens, is the engine can't figure out where one action/function ends and the next one begins, so all the functions after the error are bad.

Look at your output, and see if some of you actions are ok... probably some of the ones closest to the top of your file are fine.

At some point, one action will be fine, and all the rest will be messed up... your problem will be just above that point.

If this doesn't get you going, write a small function as the FIRST function/Action at the top of your script:

function testme
{beep;}

and call it from within your MAIN routine.

If you don't get an error on that function when you run, you know that all the brackets are ok up to that point in the code.

Then move the TESTME function down a few routines, and keep testing until you find the spot where it says something like "Can't find function TESTME".

Then you know the problem is somewhere above where TESTME currently resides in your script.

Good luck.

If you still can't figure it out, send me the script and I will see if I can help.

- WildCat

Visit us at [url=http://www.vertexgames.com]Vertex Games[/url]!
Re: What the ?!?!, got a serious problem here... #12683
05/24/03 02:18
05/24/03 02:18

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks Wildcat, you may be right about what the problem may be, missing a bracket is certainly a possiblility, and your also right about it not being a quick fix (unfortunately).

When the engine displays the error...would it be possible the (first) function it gives the error on the one missing the bracket...or is that too much to hope for?

Well, I have some hunting to do, thanks for your suggestion about the "testme" function also.

Regards.

Re: What the ?!?!, got a serious problem here... #12684
05/24/03 02:42
05/24/03 02:42
Windsor, CT 06095
W
WildCat Offline
Expert
WildCat  Offline
Expert
W

Windsor, CT 06095
Its very possible that the routine BEFORE the first error message you receive is the culprit.

Good luck!

- WildCat

Visit us at [url=http://www.vertexgames.com]Vertex Games[/url]!
Re: What the ?!?!, got a serious problem here... #12685
06/01/03 23:37
06/01/03 23:37
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Hey guys, I don't have a clue for the errors, but if you hit space when you receive the errors it'll go on with spraying next errors; this might be handy for figuring the location or 'range' of the function........

I think that the problem must be in the top code part or main function; 'cause you said that all your functions gave errors...
BTW I think that it doesn't have to be a bracket-error, correct me if I'm wrong, but the program runs the code and recognizes the open and close brackets, but since some function are called from others it'll jump out one function temporary, so maybe it's one of that outer functions that is used quite a lot, and got some error that isn't quite that wrong.....

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: What the ?!?!, got a serious problem here... #12686
06/03/03 03:40
06/03/03 03:40
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
quote:
Originally posted by burgs6811:
My problem is now I'm getting "error(97): missing keywords/nonexistent empty action..." errors for what appears to be ALL of my functions (hundreds of them!) [Frown] . I can't even begin to understand why this could be...

First tip, don’t panic! Even though you are getting hundreds of errors it could be one simple thing that is causing all of these. When you get a big list of errors, always start with the first one on the list then rerun the level and take the next first (this works 98% of the time).

My guess is that you are not including a file you need, or the files are not included in the right order. Look at the first error, now check to make sure that the function/var it calls has been declared before it appears in this place.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: What the ?!?!, got a serious problem here... #12687
06/03/03 03:57
06/03/03 03:57
WizRealm Offline
Expert
WizRealm  Offline
Expert

well why don't you post a script you are having trouble with? Maybe we can help find the problem.

WizRealms

Re: What the ?!?!, got a serious problem here... #12688
06/03/03 04:03
06/03/03 04:03

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
quote:
Originally posted by burgs6811:

First tip, don’t panic! Even though you are getting hundreds of errors it could be one simple thing that is causing all of these. When you get a big list of errors, always start with the first one on the list then rerun the level and take the next first (this works 98% of the time).

My guess is that you are not including a file you need, or the files are not included in the right order. Look at the first error, now check to make sure that the function/var it calls has been declared before it appears in this place.

Hey Doug, I agree. Let me give you the example. Let's say that I'm using Visual C++ 6. When I work with code that uses MFC, and when I compile a program, I would get like--maybe hundreds of erors (maybe 200+ or 300+). So, what I do is I go to the first error message, wheither it will mention "invalid syntax" or "forgot ';'", or "missing bracker '}'". Once I fix that and compile the code, I may still get more than hundreds of error. OR, I may get less than 50 erros! Even 20 or less! So, it's a good idea to work with the first error that came up in your screen rather than working with 2md error, or 7th error, or vice versa.

Oh, and by the way, not to get off-topic but I have Visual C#.net instead of Visual C++ 6. I'm just giving you the example of how I can fix those errors in VC++ 6.

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de