by juergen_wue. 04/20/24 18:51
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (wandaluciaia, AndrewAMD, 1 invisible), 765 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: use a second uv-set on your models [Re: JetpackMonkey] #131544
07/10/07 09:30
07/10/07 09:30
ventilator Offline OP
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline OP
Senior Expert

i simply could add an additional command line parameter which causes that each model filename gets a suffix like "_lm" and that the wmp export gets skipped.

i am not sure though how it would work on the maya side. do really all objects get a lightmap? is it possible to only export selected ones into the obj? what can be automated with mel? ...

Re: use a second uv-set on your models [Re: ventilator] #131545
07/10/07 15:06
07/10/07 15:06
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
That sounds like a very good idea.. or I could force the models to all have an _lm suffix in MEL with a renaming operation.. though then there would be duplicate models-- using the _lm suffix in the splitter is probably a more efficient idea.

Actually the really hairy part is generating the c-script to load all the different _lm meshes and their bmaps.. can you think of a good strategy to automate that? With so many objects, that is the restrictive barrier.

Thanks for the advice!

Re: use a second uv-set on your models [Re: JetpackMonkey] #131546
07/11/07 11:12
07/11/07 11:12
ventilator Offline OP
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Quote:

Actually the really hairy part is generating the c-script to load all the different _lm meshes and their bmaps.. can you think of a good strategy to automate that?

wouldn't this work with my example script which checks if the _lm files exist?

Re: use a second uv-set on your models [Re: ventilator] #131547
07/11/07 12:19
07/11/07 12:19
Australia
DavidLancaster Offline
User
DavidLancaster  Offline
User

Australia
Quote:

Quote:

Actually the really hairy part is generating the c-script to load all the different _lm meshes and their bmaps.. can you think of a good strategy to automate that?

wouldn't this work with my example script which checks if the _lm files exists?

What about the memory leaks with creating the materials?

Is there any work arounds?

So...if I wanted to have say 5 levels, in each of my 5 levels I had a terrain mesh with a lightmap and I wanted to use the supertrace plugin. Would I have to have all 5 of those lightmaps loaded into memory at once? How would I go about having only 1 loaded into memory at a time?

Re: use a second uv-set on your models [Re: DavidLancaster] #131548
07/11/07 12:29
07/11/07 12:29
ventilator Offline OP
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline OP
Senior Expert

jcl has added a mtl_remove() function so if you correctly use mtl_remove() and bmap_remove() then there won't be a memory leak.

materials are so small though that the memory leak probably wouldn't do any harm. caring for the bitmaps is more important.

from the beta page:
Quote:

The handedness of the binormal is now stored in the 4th tangent coordinate of every vertex. This avoids shader problems with mirrored coordinates.

because of this change the current plugin version won't work anymore with the next engine release. the registered users will get an updated version.

Re: use a second uv-set on your models [Re: ventilator] #131549
07/11/07 12:34
07/11/07 12:34
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Thanks, how silly of me to miss that, I have no idea how I didn't see it. You're right, that would absolutey be sufficient!

I can write a MEL script to select each polymesh, auto-unwrap it, add a texture and bake a shadow map to it, save the whole file as myname_lm.mb, then execute a modified version of the splitter with an -lm flag, without building a wmb ilke you mentioned, so that each _lm mdl has the same number prefix and name as the regular mdls. I am confident that I can script that first part in MEL. In that case, a version of the splitter which adds the _lm suffix/doesn't build a wmb would do the trick!

Would you mind adding that to the splitter, if it's not too much work? By the way, a little off-topic but I will mention it here in case you open up and work on the splitter.. could you add another feature? Because each object the splitter exports has a different numerical prefix to avoid conflict, it's difficult to make LOD for so many models.. a solution to this would be a lodgp_ prefix, an LOD group that works like regular groups (gp_) do already, but the level designer makes sure that the contents of each one have a models with the same name and appropriate numericial suffix (0-4) per normal LOD naming convention. Simply put, items in an lodgp_ would be in a normal group but not have that unique numerical prefix.

Thanks for everything, your tools have changed and improved my workflow a million times over

Re: use a second uv-set on your models [Re: JetpackMonkey] #131550
07/11/07 14:01
07/11/07 14:01
ventilator Offline OP
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline OP
Senior Expert

here is the lite-c version of the example script in case anyone would like to run the plugin demo with lite-c. it should also work with the free lite-c edition.

save it as examples_litec.c and also create the file examples_litec.wdl which contains the line: plugindir = ".";

Code:
#include <acknex.h>
#include <default.c>

void ent_loadseconduvset(ENTITY* entity1, ENTITY* entity2);
void ent_exportmesh(ENTITY* entity, STRING* filename);
void ent_importmesh(ENTITY* entity, STRING* filename);

ENTITY* skycube =
{
type = "skycube+6.tga";
flags2 = SKY | CUBE | VISIBLE;
material = mat_sky;
}

void applylightmaps();
ENTITY* tempentity;

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------- mtl_lightmap

BMAP* bmap_lightmap = "landscape_lm.dds";

MATERIAL* mtl_lightmap =
{
skin1 = bmap_lightmap;

effect=
"
texture mtlSkin1;
texture entSkin1;

technique t0
{
pass p0
{
Texture[0]=<mtlSkin1>;
Texture[1]=<entSkin1>;

// mix light map with dynamic lighting
TexCoordIndex[0] = 1;
ColorArg1[0] = Texture;
ColorOp[0] = AddSigned;
ColorArg2[0] = Diffuse;

// apply lighting to texture
TexCoordIndex[1] = 0;
ColorArg1[1] = Texture;
ColorOp[1] = Modulate2x;
ColorArg2[1] = Current;
}
}
";
}

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------- main
void main()
{
video_mode = 8;

vec_set(mat_sky.emissive_blue, vector(20,20,20)); // make sky a bit brighter

wait(3);
level_load("");
wait(1);

vec_set(sky_color, vector(250, 175, 75));

vec_set(sun_angle, vector(-30, 35, 0));
sun_light = 10;

vec_set(camera.x, vector(300, 0, 200));
camera.pan = 180;

STRING* meshfilename = "landscape_lm.mesh";

/*
//-------------------- example 1

you = ent_create("landscape.mdl", nullvector, 0); // load model with texture uv-set
you.material = mtl_lightmap; // assign light map material

tempentity = ent_create("landscape_lm.mdl", nullvector, 0); // load model with light map uv-set
ent_loadseconduvset(you, tempentity); // generate and assign a new mesh with both uv-sets
ent_remove(tempentity); // tempentity isn't needed anymore

ent_exportmesh(you, meshfilename); // save mesh with both uv-sets for reuse
*/

//-------------------- example 2

// for very huge models ent_importmesh() probably is faster than ent_loadseconduvset().
// usually ent_loadseconduvset() should be fast enough though.

if(you) {ent_remove(you);}

you = ent_create("landscape.mdl", nullvector, 0); // load model with texture uv-set
you.material = mtl_lightmap; // assign light map material
ent_importmesh(you, meshfilename); // load and assign the previously saved mesh

/*
//-------------------- example 3

// applylightmaps() cycles through all entities in the level and applies a light map
// if the two "_lm" files exist for the entity.

if(you) {ent_remove(you);}

ent_create("landscape.mdl", nullvector, 0);
applylightmaps();
*/

while(!key_any) {wait(1);}
def_moveset(); // default camera movement
}

//----------------------------------------------------------------------------- example 3

var file_exists(STRING* filename)
{
var filehandle;
filehandle = file_open_read(filename);
if(filehandle)
{
file_close(filehandle);
return(1);
}
else
{
return(0);
}
}

STRING* tempstring1 = "#100";
STRING* tempstring2 = "#100";
MATERIAL* tempmaterial;

void applylightmaps()
{
you = ent_next(0);
while(you != 0)
{
str_for_entfile(tempstring1, you);
str_trunc(tempstring1, 4);
str_cpy(tempstring2, tempstring1);
str_cat(tempstring1, "_lm.mdl");
str_cat(tempstring2, "_lm.dds");

if(file_exists(tempstring1) && file_exists(tempstring2))
{
you.material = mtl_create(); // they should be removed again when changing the level
tempmaterial = you.material;
tempmaterial.effect = mtl_lightmap.effect;
tempmaterial.skin1 = bmap_create(tempstring2); // they should be removed again when changing the level

tempentity = ent_create(tempstring1, nullvector, 0);
ent_loadseconduvset(you, tempentity);
ent_remove(tempentity);
}

you = ent_next(you);
}
}

Re: use a second uv-set on your models [Re: ventilator] #131551
07/11/07 14:07
07/11/07 14:07
ventilator Offline OP
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Quote:

Would you mind adding that to the splitter, if it's not too much work? By the way, a little off-topic but I will mention it here in case you open up and work on the splitter.. could you add another feature? Because each object the splitter exports has a different numerical prefix to avoid conflict, it's difficult to make LOD for so many models.. a solution to this would be a lodgp_ prefix, an LOD group that works like regular groups (gp_) do already, but the level designer makes sure that the contents of each one have a models with the same name and appropriate numericial suffix (0-4) per normal LOD naming convention. Simply put, items in an lodgp_ would be in a normal group but not have that unique numerical prefix.

i will try to add the _lm option in the next days.

i am not sure if i understand the lod solution and if it would be easy to add but i will think about it.

Re: use a second uv-set on your models [Re: ventilator] #131552
07/11/07 14:21
07/11/07 14:21
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
Quote:

Quote:

i will try to add the _lm option in the next days.

i am not sure if i understand the lod solution and if it would be easy to add but i will think about it.

thank yOU thank yOU!! Oh the lodgp_, it could just be like a regular group except it wouldn't put a number in front of its objects:

so a normal group like gp_amplifiers with the following objects
amp1.mdl
amp2.mdl
amp3.mdl

normally exports like this, by adding that numeric prefix
_234_amp1.mdl
_235_amp2.mdl
_236_amp3.mdl

but if it were in lodgp_amplifiers, I would manually create the reduced LOD files, and manually name the files with LOD numeric endings:

amp1_1.md
amp1_2.mdl
amp1_3.mdl
amp1_4.mdl

When running the splitter, it would recognize the lodgp_ and give em all the same numeric prefix:

_234_amp1_1.mdl
_234_amp1_2.mdl
_234_amp1_3.mdl
_234_amp1_4.mdl

Maybe there's a better solution tho?

Re: use a second uv-set on your models [Re: JetpackMonkey] #131553
07/12/07 12:19
07/12/07 12:19
Australia
DavidLancaster Offline
User
DavidLancaster  Offline
User

Australia
Would you happen to know if mtl_remove will be in the next A6 beta or was JCL talking about A7? Thanks!

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de