Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba), 1,184 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Re: Why God exists [Re: Marco_Grubert] #144929
09/21/07 18:00
09/21/07 18:00
Louisana, USA
Ilidrake Offline
Ilidrake  Offline

Louisana, USA
The most interesting fact about this little debate is that it is completely useless. The fact is some people believe in God and some do not. The way I see it we will all find out when we die, cause were all gonna die eventually. So hope all of your theories are correct.

We exist, but what if I don't believe you don't exist? I have never met any of you. How can you say you are real? Oh, because you wrote on this forum!!! But, this forum goes through a server, what if it changes your posts, thus making then false. Same point.

Last edited by Ilidrake; 09/21/07 18:04.

Just Because Your Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Aren't After You...Because They Really Are

http://spearbang.awardspace.com/news.php
Re: Why God exists [Re: Arathas] #144930
09/21/07 21:11
09/21/07 21:11
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

Quote:

He's our definition, which is suspicious on itself

Ah, but that's where the holy man will disapprove. It's you (the bloody atheist) who claims that god's only a definition of us. The holy man instead will claim that WE are defined by GOD ... because he created us.

See - there's always two sides of the story. ;-)

Actually there are no two sides here, just one side. See, we've got to go with what we know or can see when it comes to proof/truth and so on, it's not about what we think to know because of some scripture that in itself with all due respect is no evidence at all, quite the contrary actually.

It's not a matter of your word against mine either, it's the lack of evidence vs. the claims of mostly the bible and churches about what God is able to do.

There are a lot of simple questions that do not have real answers when it comes to the definition of God. For example the striking resemblance with 'Gods' of other religions, older religions, religions with multiple Gods and so on. Those are 'Gods' by more or less the exact same definitions, however those definitions changed over time, just like God's meaning changed within Christianity actually. At first he was a men, then he was a spirit, now he's some sort of invisible 'perhaps-always on vacation' abstract something. This all has only changed because of OUR views, not because of what he really is. He really is a creation of us in this respect.

It's a 100% single sided problem and I don't believe that everything someone believes must be true simply because it can't be falsified. That's why the whole 'Flying Spaghetti Monster'-theory thing and so on exist,

(as for "bloody atheist", you do know that the inquisition and all those crusades and stuff was Christianity going crazy, right? I don't think atheists have ever started a war or anything else bloody...)

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Why God exists [Re: PHeMoX] #144931
09/21/07 21:24
09/21/07 21:24
Louisana, USA
Ilidrake Offline
Ilidrake  Offline

Louisana, USA
Because I will say like everyone else says, you gotta take it on faith. I'm not one of those pushy, here's what I believe and you better believe it too. I believe in God and that's my buisness. Doesn't mean you have to. That's called choice.
But isn't it strange that through out history man-kind has always sought to worship something, a higher power. Be that statues, money, or whatever. Man has a deep desire to worship, to acknowledge that a higher power exists. Aethist for example seem, from my opinion only, to worship the power of themselves. But if that's the case and they have power over there life they should be able to dictate every aspect of that life. Vehicles should never break, programs should be written perfect, and they shouldn't grow old. Because that is the ultimate control of your life, dictating that you control when you die. But none of us do, and I find it hard to believe we are born and then just die and that's it. It has a meaning, but humans are too stupid to understand it.

Just Because Your Paranoid Doesn't Mean They Aren't After You...Because They Really Are

Re: Why God exists [Re: Ilidrake] #144932
09/21/07 21:33
09/21/07 21:33
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
No, I think it's more a matter of A. our endless curiosity for things we do not understand and trying to make up or find answers for them and B. our very inventive ways to control people in our greedy hunger for power.

I don't believe in mankind if that's what you think, I believe in goodness though, but I wouldn't call that a power, but a choice instead. Why would we (have to) worship things like greediness and power when we do not believe in God? It's not like we're totally immoral emotionless life-hating freaks, we only do not share your believe of a higher power as a being called 'God'. I understand it's difficult to understand a world view without God though, it's a big difference with all kinds of consequences. (like for example what purpose has our life if it's not for God etc. ..)

Cheers

Re: Why God exists [Re: PHeMoX] #144933
09/21/07 21:44
09/21/07 21:44
Louisana, USA
Ilidrake Offline
Ilidrake  Offline

Louisana, USA
I see. So what is the ultimate price of sin? If God does not exist then niether does sin. But if that's the case why is it when you do thing immoral and wrong you suffer for them. Maybe not right a way but they always seem to spring back up eventually. Of course if neither exist then why should I follow any law, Gods or man's. Who's to say what is wrong? If this is the case your throwing of the yoke of accountability and I can do whatever I want, be it murder. Who are you or anyone else to judge my actions.
Simple, our conscience. That spark of life that God gave us that tells us right and wrong. Just because you can't see it or touch it doesn't mean it doesn't exists. Oh, you can't explain it so therefore it doesn't exist. Well I can't explain my reasons for wanting to steal all the time so therefore the results for that crime don't count towards me.
All i'm saying is just consider if your view is wrong. Just what if? Because you never know when your last day will be your last day. Make sure you are right....that's all I'm saying. So you believe in God and when you die he doesn't exist. What have you lost? Nothing. But what if he does???

Last edited by Ilidrake; 09/21/07 21:46.

Re: Why God exists [Re: Ilidrake] #144934
09/21/07 22:01
09/21/07 22:01
Damocles Offline
Expert
Damocles  Offline
Expert

So you need a god, to not do something bad?
I dont need a god, and still dont behave bad.

Re: Why God exists [Re: Ilidrake] #144935
09/21/07 22:23
09/21/07 22:23
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

I see. So what is the ultimate price of sin? If God does not exist then niether does sin. But if that's the case why is it when you do thing immoral and wrong you suffer for them. Maybe not right a way but they always seem to spring back up eventually.

That's one of the psychological tricks of any religion that 'warns' you for bad things to come. Bad things will always happen, it's because you are not alone on this world. No matter if you pray each day or just once a month or not at all. Life isn't all good, it's often 50-50, for some worse, for some better, regardless of what kind of religion you have.

There are a lot of let's call them 'inevitable' things that will happen and whether you're part of those in some way or another is based on pure chance. In complex systems things will go wrong, and we're part of the biggest and most complex thing.. this world.

If you pray to your God that it must not rain on your birthday and it doesn't rain, that doesn't mean it praying helped anything, you just got lucky. The statistics tell us that this luck is equal for all.. we all have the same chances of luck.

Don't be fooled, but you don't need any religion to develop a proper morality. Besides, if the old testament of the bible or the crusades and inquisition are any clue as to what morality we should have then I'd say a big 'no thanks'.

Cheers

Re: Why God exists [Re: Ilidrake] #144936
09/21/07 22:30
09/21/07 22:30
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

That spark of life that God gave us that tells us right and wrong.

Unfortunatly the reality is much more prosaic
What is coscience ?
Simply the result of the evolution
You are a proud 3dgs user ?
Well, you can make a simple simulation
Create a multitude of characters , assigning different behaviours : criminals, good guys, saints etc
You will see that your population will evolve towards a comunity of good guys with a minority of criminals and a minority of saints
Simply because this mix guarantees the best efficiency for the comunity

Re: Why God exists [Re: AlbertoT] #144937
09/23/07 09:09
09/23/07 09:09
T
testDummy Offline
Serious User
testDummy  Offline
Serious User
T

I suspect that the proof and true meaning of god or gods, is only granted after an individual takes a leap faith and believes. Maybe it's similar to a private club, containing wonders that can only be perceived when a certain 'truth' is accepted at the door.

I think it is rather pointless to argue about god or god(s) and evidence of such things, when you're not in the club, ...you're not a believer.
You may never fully understand, because you do not have access.

Statements like "why would anyone want to be a slave", might indicate a temporary lack of understanding due to an inability to place self into another individual's point of view.

Perhaps, evidence and meaning is offered only after you 'take the leap', and that's just the way that it is. While you are in the club, you will see THAT, and when you're not in the club you will see something else.

I tend to think if you truly do not believe in god or god(s) and don't have something to prove (possibly out of anger at certain events), than god or god(s), and the beliefs of others in such things, should probably be irrelevant, and I would think that there would be no need or drive to discuss such things (often).

(Note: I do not subscribe to any commonly known religion or 'faith'.)

I tend to think that today, without laws and consequences, there would be 'chaos'. Many individuals might easily do what might be considered the 'wrong things', if penalties are removed. (I think that the current model leans more and more towards 'chaos' over time anyway.) It seems that a significant number of individuals are self-consumed unknowing slaves, which serve themselves when they can, and spend a fair of amount of time serving individuals higher up in the hierarchy. Some of the time might be spent using media, entertainment, and other devices as some form treatment or to distract from the lack of meaning in life.

I doubt that 'good guys' are anything but a minority. However, obviously, some individuals seem to perform acts of kindness and generosity from time to time. Such acts may actually represent breaks in typical behavior.

Re: Why God exists [Re: Marco_Grubert] #144938
09/30/07 06:49
09/30/07 06:49
Michigan
ICEman Offline
Developer
ICEman  Offline
Developer

Michigan
God.. the way people give it diety and divinity is an explanation for what's not understood.

I don't define God as anything beyond the intelligence responsible for the creation of what we know to be "all things". We actually don't know what lies beyond the expanse of the universe's edge.. the vastness of the space that we are aware of is already too much for us to comprehend.. and considering we're not a space faring people.. we literally have only observed only one pebble in the quarry of knowledge that is the universe.

Where we go wrong and into the howling mootness of opinionated debate on God is our definitions of "God"..."All things".. and our inability to seek the answers to all those questions and more.. where is it already written (in the universe, in the form of math, science, and discoveries therein which.. each tell a small part of the abundant truth we want to know).

It might be just as much of an opinion, but I find the concept of an intelligent being responsible for the creation of something so large and complex as the universe.. totally plausible. To that end, I believe the soul which we call "God", was a being who applied his vast knowledge of the two real, harnessable, applicable powers that exist in the universe (science & math) and created a functioning machine of infinite beauty and infinity carnality.. the mother of all machines.

That's perfectly logical, if one doesnt take it as blasphemy that "God" could be less than holy powerful.. and if one from the other end doesnt stay confined to comparing what is truly possible to what little we are capable of.

I believe that one day, when we have the ability to traverse the edges of the universe, or close enough to reach the most ancient of places in existence.. long dead planets and barren, relic filled regions that were on the forefront of the creator's forge.. we will find that that is all that happened.

No divine magic.. and also no spontaneous or random unprovoked generation. Just a highly wise being applying his infinite knowledge to an intelligent design. When we become smart enough, and able to really accept that there are/ were/ and will always be intelligences greater than our own.. one particular one having been the greatest of all which wasn't so just-because.. then we will be able to find out who "God" was.. and where we really come from.

I dont think we will find anything about our detiny as a race, because I just dont believe in divine predefinition.. but we will know enough about where we come from, to make out a more enlightened path for where we will go.

As far as "God". I believe in a superiour intelligence being responsible for all that we know now.. no different than we are capable of creating with our applied knowledge.

If we can accept that.. there are things capable of what we are not, pysically and mentally, but that they dont have to be magical mythical things to be so.. then we will be able to approach the question of God, the way it's meant to be..
and the only way that will land us at a complete, and true answer someday.

I'm ICEman, and I approved this message.
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite