Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (dr_panther, 1 invisible), 620 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: fastlane69] #149558
08/30/07 09:21
08/30/07 09:21
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:

As others have said, the speed of light is "broken" in many instances... heck you can do it as well... simply take a flash light, point it out and spin spin spin! The radial velocity of the light beam is faster than "c"

as fun as that idea is, it doesn't make sense, because the beam of light isn't an object. the photons are still moving at exactly the speed of light (as Einstein would have you think). they don't spin around with the flashlight.

Quote:

Arriving somewhere before even leaving got my mind a bit twisted though, but I guess what they mean is that because we need light in order to see things, we would see the thing that moved at it's new location before the light of it's old location is totally exhausted so to speak

under the laws of Newtonian physics you're absolutely right, and that's what makes most sense.

however, by Einstein's theory of Relativity, time is dependent on relative speed while the relative speed of light to everyone is constant (and therefore is different to everyone who's moving at different speeds, because it is always 'c' relative to them; this brings about sci-fi ideas of alternate universes), and that time as it appears to be experienced by one object (as well as mass and inversely length) dilates according to its relative speed to the observer (though this is only really apparent at very-near light-speeds).

basically, time is infinitely slowed down (ie, stopped) for something moving at the speed of light exactly, and so the idea is that time would reverse for something moving beyond the speed of light. however, the formula doesn't hold for that because time would need to become a complex number.

fastlane is absolutely right, though, that light-particles don't have mass (or at least no rest-mass -- they obtain momentum through their speed and their frequency which determines how penetrating they are, which is why gamma rays are dangerous and radio waves aren't). like he said, its only considered a problem for anything that has mass, because that object's mass dilates (becomes bigger) approaching infinity as the speed of light is approached, requiring an infinite amount of force (F = ma) to accelerate it that high. anything of such a high mass would theoretically become a black-hole. it's all relative, though. someone approaching the speed of light would see everything else approaching the speed of light (relative to them), obtaining infinite mass and becoming black-holes. so in both alternate observations everything's doomed

but that's all just according to Einstein. most examples ignore the mass dilation and just play with time dilation, because that's groovier . tests seem to support his theory of Relativity but i won't bother making some sort of decision because there's way too much to think about.

anyway, that's high-school physics for ya ^^

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: JibbSmart] #149559
08/30/07 15:57
08/30/07 15:57
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline OP
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

like he said, its only considered a problem for anything that has mass, because that object's mass dilates (becomes bigger) approaching infinity as the speed of light is approached, requiring an infinite amount of force (F = ma) to accelerate it that high. anything of such a high mass would theoretically become a black-hole.

Mmmm, but the speed of light itself isn't infinite, so I guess the way the mass increases at ever higher speeds is logarithmic??

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: JibbSmart] #149560
08/30/07 18:52
08/30/07 18:52
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

as fun as that idea is, it doesn't make sense, because the beam of light isn't an object. the photons are still moving at exactly the speed of light (as Einstein would have you think). they don't spin around with the flashlight.

Light is very much an object, as real as you and I. Just because something is massless doesn't mean it's not real. All that aside, the idea isn't that light is traveling FTL but the image that it projects is. Here's a good site on FTL; I was talking about the "shadows and light spots" idea.

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/FTL.html

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: fastlane69] #149561
08/30/07 20:03
08/30/07 20:03
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
Anyone remember the first look at a Muon? This was prior to sub-catagorisation and Muons were thought to be the only examples of Tachyon expressions.

Well! back then it was recorded that a Muon was calculated to have travelled up to 18K times faster than light!

The Muon was the result of 3 oxygen atoms combining to form an Ozone molecule and when struck by a certain wavelength of UV light, seperated to form a massless, inertialess particle that exhibited the 'speed' characteristics of accelleration.

Wrap those babies up and using a weak torch light, you should be able to get Alpa Centauri before you were born!

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: Nems] #149562
08/30/07 21:56
08/30/07 21:56
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:

Light is very much an object, as real as you and I. Just because something is massless doesn't mean it's not real

that is a very good website, but by that logic every time dragonballz characters instantaneously move from one side of your tv screen to the other, they break the speed of light. the website describes that idea you brought on, but by no means claims that it IS breaking the speed-of-light barrier.

shadows and light-spots never move. they appear and disappear immediately to be replaced by another. light-beams and shadows are just names given to circumstances so we can describe them and refer to them more easily.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: JibbSmart] #149563
08/30/07 22:10
08/30/07 22:10
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

but by no means claims that it IS breaking the speed-of-light barrier.

From the site:

"The speed of a shadow is therefore not restricted to be less than the speed of light.

Others things which can go faster than the speed of light include the spot of a laser which is pointed at the surface of the moon.
[...]

These are all examples of things which can go faster than light, but which are not physical objects."

So they are breaking the light speed barrier but cannot be used to transmit information since they are no "physical" even though they are "real". Or is it the other way around: that because they can break the light speed barrier, they are not physical?

Who knows. The point is that there are plenty of phenomena that break the light speed barrier but none can be used to transmit information. That is all I'm saying...

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: Nems] #149564
08/30/07 22:13
08/30/07 22:13
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

Anyone remember the first look at a Muon?

Huh? Muons are massive elementary particles and AFAIK were never thought to be super-luminal.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: fastlane69] #149565
08/30/07 22:19
08/30/07 22:19
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
Doesnt detract from the first results though as that is recorded acording to the criteria at the time, some sort of film that could show the paths Muons took at the time.

Since then, catagorisation has shifted the humble Muon and seperated it into various tachyon catalogues.

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: Nems] #149566
08/31/07 03:55
08/31/07 03:55
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Muons have NEVER been considered as Tachyon candidates so I have NO idea what you are talking about or what you are on (well, maybe I have an idea what you might be on )

Re: Scientists claim to have broken speed of light [Re: fastlane69] #149567
08/31/07 04:11
08/31/07 04:11
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
Oh ok, I doubt if I read the article wrong but the info may be and yet, I cant see how such info could ever have been released in the first place if it was incorrect.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite