by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (AndrewAMD, SBGuy, Petra, flink, 1 invisible), 699 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Re: A7 next gen workflow : [Re: sueds] #160829
10/16/07 17:08
10/16/07 17:08
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

MED is intended to be a convertion utility, so I would just like to have better editing features for skins and a commandline interface for some other basic operations like resavem, merging, skin editing and thats it. I guess this isn't so hard.

I see in WED more a frontend tool for composing levels, not a real content editor. Especially when you compose your scenes, WED lacks a lot (see my and other's previous posts about this in this and that other thread I was referring to). GameEdit is really cool for composing levels, but I wish some of the most basic GameEdit features were available for WED, too.

In addition, it would help much to have an integrated content management system in strong relationship to a material template interface. Like actions, it would be cool to load assets, assign shaders, set references to source texture files and how they are converted (into which skin, resize option, automatic conversion from source format (e.g. PSD) to DDS, DDS preview, Alpha-Channel preview in WED, ... such things are improvements.

Maybe we expect too much from our little group of maybe 3-5 fulltime 3DGS developers, but I don't really like the argument "you can do this by yourself" or "you can do this of course: (insert complicated way here)".

If a specific request for workflow things is being established by one or many people (which is maybe already supported by several other authoringh tools), I would like to hear at least an explanation why the crew doesn't want to program this.

Well, I am currently satisfied, but it's so much work sometimes with this software to achieve the easiest things.

Re: A7 next gen workflow : [Re: HeelX] #160830
10/16/07 17:59
10/16/07 17:59
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
Yes I have to agree with you there HeelX, sometimes its just dam impossible to get things done in WED with its native CGI set like setting snap and finding it all unsnapped upon compile. Other editors like Nems MegaTerrain Generator snapps CGI like a well timed breeze, or hammer etc.

Would love something like UT edit for CGI work, awesome man! But now, I need to learn Game Edit as thats one I havnt really tried yet.

Workflow for me is building in WED, MED and SED testing, each an entire volume on their own, I mean even looking at quants its difficult to know what the norm is we all use.

Re: A7 next gen workflow : [Re: sueds] #160831
10/16/07 18:00
10/16/07 18:00
TheExpert Offline OP
Senior Developer
TheExpert  Offline OP
Senior Developer

The engine ??
Well for engine , you have free ones, with all last shaders,projection textures and lot even more 3DGS always years before 3DGS

Find one or two programmers, and use Ogre3D or cheap TV3D engine

I think it should be like UT3 or Cryteck Sandbox editors.

You modelise, texturise with dedicaed programs :
Blender for 3D is outstandgly great like Gimp for 2D.
Cheap packages like Silo are great also : )
these tools are best suited for buildings,characters, moutain cliffs , trees etc ... and better for unwrapping also.

after thta WED should only have a terrain with vegetation editor like Cryteck or UT3 , and you should place in top of it all you want :
moutains parts/cliffs , buildings, bridges,etc ...

I think it's the best workflow and what do these big AAA tools.

So why WED keep BSP ?
why keep the poor WED modeler instead of attaching normal/specular maps
directly to characters models in the main level editor or a special tool just to adjust maps and shaders to models ?
No need for modeling at all, open source packages like Blender are 10 years
in advance compared to the poor MED !

I just don't understand C Lite engine alone ??
there are lot of free programming engines, perhaps in C++ but easy and lot more advanced like Irrlicht,Ogre3D !

Artists , game makers want all tools ready to go like UT3 , SandBox editors
Far Cry game has been made when tools were ready, like Gears Of Wars also.

Well just my advice.

Let's hope A7 will change deeply things , and not try to rearrange existing ones.
The engine keep old BPS , and others things, i doubt A7 to be a totally new engine.

Conitec could use Ogre3D for rendering , no more problems
always up to date for Next Gen.

I won't buy A7, i'll wait A8 to see if Conitec guys will be clever to make the right decisions.

Re: A7 next gen workflow : [Re: ventilator] #160832
10/16/07 18:25
10/16/07 18:25
Finland
Ambassador Offline
Serious User
Ambassador  Offline
Serious User

Finland
Quote:

at the moment blender's game engine can't compete with gamestudio at all. it's very nice though that it is fully integrated into blender. working like this could be great if it were a better engine.

True, the current BGE can't compete with GS (if we discard the workflow) but there are several projects that are striving to make BGE better.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/GameEngineDev

However there has been a lot attemps to improve the BGE in blenders history so there is no telling will these succeed or not...

Re: A7 next gen workflow : [Re: Ambassador] #160833
10/17/07 16:38
10/17/07 16:38
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

And at UT3 or Crytek like prices?

I don't understand these threads. I mean I'm all for improving 3DGS and taking it to new heights but I don't get that people don't understand that this comes with a price. The saying "you get what you pay for" comes to mind and $1000 bucks is nothing in game development I'm afraid. If you want UT3 like tools, then you will have to pay UT3 like prices; it's as simple as that. So if you have half a million dollars, then don't bother with 3DGS and use these engines with their (perceived) better tools and workflow. But if you don't (I'm 499 thousand short myself), then you work with something like 3DGS and their (perceived) worse tools and workflow.

These threads always come off like someone buying a Honda Civic and then going back to the dealership to complain that it doesn't have the performance of a Lamborghni Diablo but it should!!!!

Re: A7 next gen workflow : [Re: fastlane69] #160834
10/17/07 16:58
10/17/07 16:58
germany
Tiles Offline
User
Tiles  Offline
User

germany
It`s more like complaining that the Honda is driving like an oldtimer

Should we better wait for the freeware ones to be better than 3DGS before we complain? There is not this much missing.

Last edited by Tiles; 10/17/07 17:16.

trueSpace 7.6, A7 commercial
Free gamegraphics, freewaregames http://www.reinerstilesets.de
Die Community rund um Spiele-Toolkits http://www.clickzone.de
Re: A7 next gen workflow : [Re: Tiles] #160835
10/17/07 17:24
10/17/07 17:24
Finland
Ambassador Offline
Serious User
Ambassador  Offline
Serious User

Finland
Feature wise, I think that OGRE is on the same line or ahead 3dgs. However, the tools are somewhat missing. Of course you can use blender, but it would be nice if there would be a some kind of general tool for editing ogre levels and stuff. Most of the free engines don't have a good set of tools. Lets hope that this will change in the future .

Re: A7 next gen workflow : [Re: fastlane69] #160836
10/17/07 17:54
10/17/07 17:54
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Quote:

Quote:

And at UT3 or Crytek like prices?

Cute, and *kinda-almost-sorta* agree...but then I see stuff like that "Project Offset" engine ( http://projectoffset.com/ ).

I remember when they first "popped up" waaaay back in/around 2001. I remember because I was still in Vancouver. I remember someone raving about "You HAVE to see this new indie engine some guys are making!". I took a look at their little demo of a big brutish guy standing in a black expanse. He roared (no sound), and moved his head around, etc. But it all looked VERY cool. Anyway, long story short, it was him and a buddy or two of his. They were in school at the time. They had girlfriends too. They built the Offset Engine "for fun", on the time off they had from everything else. I specifically remember when their little web-forum (pretty simple in the time), they said that they weren't doing this to "get rich". They were doing it to learn, get better, and get jobs later on. That they would probably make the engine free or maybe some minor licencing fee or something..."hey, after all, we're one of you guys; just game/3d fans".

Then they [mofia don] "got an offer they couldn't refuse".[/mofia don]. People were asking about what was going on...they were awefully quite for a number of months. Then...BLAMMO! "We have a serious offer from a leading games producer. That's all we can say now". Questions about "price of an indie license" went ignored and unanswered. ...and now we know. They sold out. Period.

...So, what's my point? My point is this: If two or three guys can create the Project Offset engine in a couple years, *in their spare time*, why the hell can't a full-time company do just as well? o_O An engine is only priced "in the realm of crazy-talk" because nobody has had the kahonae's to tell a publisher "Naaa. We don't want your $2 million. We're doing this for fun, and want everyone to have access to the joy of making kick-ass looking games."

PS: I suppose a good lawyer as well as kahonaes might be in order. You can't tell me that there wasn't some sort of "well, we have lawyers, and we have patents on some things we *think* you might be infringing upon...hate to have to drag you into court for the next 5 years just to find out..." didn't play a part...

PPS: Yes, I'm a bit bitter over a lot of things that have been going on in the industry (and the US in particular) over the last 7 years or so... >:(

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: A7 next gen workflow : [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #160837
10/17/07 18:02
10/17/07 18:02
broozar Offline
Expert
broozar  Offline
Expert

look around, there are so many engines available, choose the one that suits you most. but beefing is bad style.

Re: A7 next gen workflow : [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #160838
10/17/07 18:03
10/17/07 18:03
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Quote:

I took a look at their little demo of a big brutish guy standing in a black expanse. He roared (no sound), and moved his head around, etc. But it all looked VERY cool.
My point is this: If two or three guys can create the Project Offset engine in a couple years, *in their spare time*, why the hell can't a full-time company do just as well?

Take a look at the ATI and nVidia demos done for their card releases. Most of them are as good (or better) than the Offset Engine demo.

The Offset Engine demo you saw done by 3 guys was just that, a demo. There is a huge difference between a graphic demo and a full engine.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de