by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (AndrewAMD, SBGuy, Petra, flink, 1 invisible), 699 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
What makes a game, a game? #163783
10/27/07 20:04
10/27/07 20:04
here...or is it here...no no i...
mpdeveloper_A Offline OP
mpdeveloper_A  Offline OP

here...or is it here...no no i...
sPlKe and TSG_Torsten have brought up a good point.

"i cannot comment on anything...
basically, you worked weeks on reskinning a model you havent made and incorporate it into the templates code...

sorry but there is nothing there i really see YOU made... isee a reskinned model and ttemplate code with a downloaded gun...

and it doesnt even look like the code actually works.

sorry for sounding so harsh but that is the truth..." sPlKe

"Sometimes I can't understand why so many forum members make great comments to a simple "template-game" and don't comment to others, self programmed/self made projects... " TSG_Torsten

Seen here.
Yet unnamed zombie game.

Even though I'm making the game in that post. I somewhat have to agree with them most of these games made from templates or well frankly look like crap are talked more about then some really well made games made from scratch.

So here is the question, What makes a game a game? Is it how its made? How it looks? How it plays? Or is their something else?

Re: What makes a game, a game? [Re: mpdeveloper_A] #163784
10/27/07 21:02
10/27/07 21:02
nl
F
flits Offline
User
flits  Offline
User
F

nl
i would say :

combindg panels white enitys white sounds if the one looks ugly the sounds is wourse and the models are eye candy and the terain is oke the game still sucks
most off the time sounds playes a big part then everthing is stuck together ten how it plays and the how it looks

models and levels can always changed by look by shaders, light,smog and other entity's

then every one love's to play other games
someone would be loved t oplay rts other mmorpg other simple shooter
and some wants to play thinking games

so it diffuclt to say what the purfect game is

but i think you need from everything somewhat

"empty"
Re: What makes a game, a game? [Re: flits] #163785
10/28/07 01:52
10/28/07 01:52
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
in regards to the varied distribution of attention in Showcase I threads, here are a number of reasons i can think of:
-- screenshots attract attention. screenshots that show evidence of effort and the potential for a brighter future with a few mistakes will receive more comments and criticism than average looking screenshots where there's nothing glaringly wrong for people to pounce on.
-- potential. something that looks like it will be playable/usable in the near future will attract a lot of attention if it's something people want to play. i'm not going to take the time to comment on something that i don't even want to play unless i need to praise that person for something that really impresses me.
-- youtube. or other video-hosting/playing sites. it's a lot less of a hassle to stream a video in the browser than to download and play a video in media player. if a link ends in ".avi" or ".wma" or something, i'm not going to click on it (unless it is a big update to Kiyaku's Angela's World or something). i'm more likely to click on a ".mov" or youtube link because that will play in my browser.
-- the user. if someone is pretty new to the forum and doesn't make it obvious in the first post that what they're doing is more than just an ambitious noob's dream, it's less likely to merit a response from me. noob's need to be encouraged, of course, to get out of the 'noob' stage, but when times are busy i'm not going to bother trying to set them straight and figure out whether or not they're worth paying attention to atm.
-- game. i'm more likely to comment on a game than anything else. i see model packs, texture packs, and examples of freelance artwork, but i'm never going to use any of them, and they are of no interest to me unless they are exceptional (such as Andvari's work which should be an inspiration to any aspiring game artist), in which case i will comment and say "that's good!". having said that, i enjoy having a look at aztec's frequent contributions because i can see how much he's improved over the past many months and he's actually producing some nice stuff -- yet i still don't comment on them, because i know there are many others who will reliably point out where improvements can be made, and they don't hugely impress me (as i'm sure aztec can understand at this stage). a game that looks like it will get somewhere is exciting, because we could really use some more sold games to show A6/A7's capabilities, or at least spread the word about it.

that's basically how i put my personal response to Showcase I threads into words.

what makes a game a game?

control. if the player can control what goes on, it's a game. i wouldn't call a "choose-your-own-adventure; pick option A or B" a game. that's more of an "interactive story". what makes a game a game is entirely dependent on how it plays, if the question is to be taken strictly.

it's a fairly ambiguous question, really. i don't have much more to say for now because i've spent too much time responding to this thread and admittedly my response is somewhat tangential, focusing on the quote from TSG_Torsten.

what makes a game a good game lies foremost in its design. a good game is (usually) designed well first, and then if the programmers, artists, and testers are worthy of their profession, they'll flesh it out as the designer(s) planned. modifications to the design are made along the way, but it's the design that makes the game good or bad.

uh... yeh... my two cents of rambling. maybe i put some subjective things across as "fact", but that's how good essays are meant to be done so i shouldn't let myself fall out of that habit until mid-next month. before responding directly to me, keep in mind that the whole "Showcase I" bit is an example of how i function, and by no means am i saying "this is how everyone works".

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: What makes a game, a game? [Re: JibbSmart] #163786
10/28/07 13:40
10/28/07 13:40
TheExpert Offline
Senior Developer
TheExpert  Offline
Senior Developer

I talk about FPS in this case :
Play Bioshock,Far Cry,Crysis
to know what is a fun and higly enjoyable game.
-top graphics with normal/specular maps and lights : no more flat textures and
old flat lightening
-lot lot of effects from shooting,smoke,water
-some physics to play with for pleasure and things to destroy/break
-improved gameplay and camera movement during running,shooting
-liberty of achieveing a goal liek you want by several ways (Deus Ex game base )
i played Metroid 3 on WII , it is far far from the fun and graphics of these PC
games.
Just play theses games and try to copy them as much as you can

For beat them up : God Of War 2 on PS2 !
Play it and be sinpired on graphics, gameplay with some diversiefied action ,and unlockable things

for action RPG : well Diablo , incoming HEllgate London : i've played demo
and couldn't stop
be inspired by their interfaces, level up things /possibilities, gameplay and camera, effects etc ...

Just go to Ign.com see the best ranked games and play them to know what you
have to copy with originality

Re: What makes a game, a game? [Re: TheExpert] #163787
10/28/07 14:24
10/28/07 14:24
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
First of all, this link seems relevant: Lost Garden: What are Game mechanics?

Quote:

I talk about FPS in this case :
Play Bioshock,Far Cry,Crysis
to know what is a fun and higly enjoyable game.
-top graphics with normal/specular maps and lights : no more flat textures and
old flat lightening
-lot lot of effects from shooting,smoke,water
-some physics to play with for pleasure and things to destroy/break
-improved gameplay and camera movement during running,shooting
-liberty of achieveing a goal liek you want by several ways (Deus Ex game base )
i played Metroid 3 on WII , it is far far from the fun and graphics of these PC
games.

Before I read your points, I tried to think of the things that make FPS-Games enjoyable for me. Of course, I am not a big fan of these kind of games in the first place, but it should still be noted that I did not think of the graphics, even though they play a big part in FPS games.
Instead of dozens of shaders or very high texture resolutions, it's more about the polish of the whole game and how it all comes together. I can still enjoy games that are a few years old, even though they don't have "to graphics with normal/specular maps...". It can't be only the graphics, I suppose. They play their part, but nowadays it's more about the art and how it all comes together and the level of polish. Expectations rise these days, so maybe games now have to have all these shaders, I don't know. But is this really what makes these games "fun" or, to go back to the thread, "games"?
(I also disagree about Metroid Prime 3, I have great fun playing it, and the level of polish in there is amazing)

Let`s have a look at the other points you mentioned. Other than graphics issues, you mention a physics engine. Yeah, it's fun when the crates (speaking of which, there are way too many crates in videogames) fall realistically, but is this really so important? Half-Life 2 showed that it can be enjoyable and cna be cleverly incorporated into games, but I don't think that this is a must-have-feature (although I suppose physics in games will become a standard in the near future).
"Improved gameplay" is a clever point, because you basically circumvented the question we try to answer here! What is gameplay, at its very basic core? What concept is behind that? And how can you improve that? Would be cool if you could elaborate on that
The nonlinearity and possibility to solve goals in several ways is also a cool feature, but by no means is it something that divides between "game" and "not-game", which is what we discuss, if I understand the question right.

If I were to mention games like Phoenix Wright, games that do have their fans (like, you know, me), then we would have to see that it doesn't even fulfill one of the goals you mentioned. Fair enough, thats not a FPS, but it is still a game (although some may even argue with that).

What makes a game a game is, for once, the interactivity. Of course, the player, the user, can interact with the game, their characters, their weapons or whatever it is the game presents. It can be as simple as flipping blocks (Tetris) or changing their colors in puzzle games, or as complex as moving a virtual avatar through a world, interacting with thousands of other players (MMORPGs). The level of interactivity is different, though, and what you are doing.

Looking at the article I've posted, especially at the very first chart, we see that games are compromised of several game mechanics, little things to do with specified rules that, when done, change something in the world and provide feedback. This then changes other aspects in the game, unlocks new ways to spend your time (maybe other game mechanics, or other parts of the map). When you look at it, many games can be broken down into several "minigames" that are actually quite simple. In a shooter game, you could have the minigame "move", "look around", "aim" and "shoot". Only put together are these interesting enough for the most hardcore of players (and even then, they want many different things to happen), but for newcomers to videogames, this can be a very difficult concept to grasp and understand, let alone master.
My beloved Phoenix Wright is much, much simpler, with the parts being investigating (verbs are: investigate, move, talk and present), dialog/in-court (which is pretty much a "select what you want to do now"-kind of thing) and cross-examination (find the lie, show the proof). It's much, much simpler than the shooter mentioned above, and there are not as many things to do at once. Maybe this is why its easier for newcomers to play that.

I've now written a lot. Nobody will probably read this far. Too bad, I guess.

@JulzMighty: It was quite interesting to read what makes you reply to a Showcase-post. I think that a "how-to-present-a-game"-thread would be quite interesting as well Someone should totally open it.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: What makes a game, a game? [Re: Error014] #163788
10/29/07 04:30
10/29/07 04:30
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
Quote:

I've now written a lot. Nobody will probably read this far. Too bad, I guess.

wrong! i guess i read it, and the article, and what i've read is reply-inducing.

aside: a "how-to-present-a-game"-thread could be useful! at the risk of being declared a cross-poster, i'll start one and quote myself (gee that makes me sound proud) and see what others think.

having a generally-agreed-upon sticky in the showcase forum might be useful too (or appended to the end of the current guidelines).

how old is Phoenix Wright? i haven't played it, but i think i've only heard good things about it.

back (again) to the thread's point -- that article you posted (which is ever-so-relevant and to this topic) is really interesting. despite being common sense, being reminded of the basic idea of a "feedback loop" is somewhat inspiring; it is often dangerous in a game to experiment without being concerned about death. if a game provides loose rules and a more open environment, the player can try things out without fearing death and without being concerned about the strict rules that many game-objectives tend to have. if the player receives more interactive feedback about what they do, a game would be much more enjoyable. this is a somewhat generalised comment but it's a broad topic.

Quote:

A key aspect of our model is that games actively encourage learning. I can put a black box on the table with a hidden button. Unbeknownst to a potential user, pressing the button enough times and the black box will spew out a thousand shiny silver coins. This is not a game. This is a bizarre gizmo.

i like this. i like the idea of being an "infovore", and when i read this i immediately made links to the "Transformers" game on xbox360 (no, i don't have one, but my mate does). the game sucks. it isn't much fun. and why is that? it is completely mindless. having not seen the movie, i enjoyed the cutscenes, but they were the only incentive to keep playing. the rules are strict, almost everything has a time-limit, and this only served to frustrate me. and all this for a game with three different types of missions: chase something, kill something, and chase something while killing it. there is very, very little thought involved. (at this point i must admit that i'm a huge "Serious Sam" 1&2 fan, and they are very thoughtless games, but they are humourous and very visually appealing, as well as being loaded with secrets that reward wondering minds).

Quote:

In Monkeyball, researchers were astounded to find the the biggest jolt of pleasured occurred when you fell off a cliff and died. People loved it! If you look at falling off the cliff as a huge learning experience, this makes perfect sense. However, when they replayed the animation, people hated it. Same stimulus, radically different response. The animation of falling off cliff lost its ability to teach the second time around. Ultimately, users are subconsciously constantly asking the question “Is this activity worth my time? Does it gain me anything useful?”

i particularly enjoyed this paragraph as well (despite the author's written english being somewhat lacking, his points come across well). this directly attacks the issue of repetition, and i really don't have any more to say about it.

Quote:

This definition of game design is much broader than the current range of games available on the market.

obviously this is a very important point for us game designers/developers.

anyway, that's saved in my favourites now.

good find, Error!
anyone reading this thread should have a look at the article, which can be found in Error014's last post.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: What makes a game, a game? [Re: mpdeveloper_A] #163789
11/09/07 20:22
11/09/07 20:22
EpsiloN Offline
User
EpsiloN  Offline
User

Quote:

Even though I'm making the game in that post. I somewhat have to agree with them most of these games made from templates or well frankly look like crap are talked more about then some really well made games made from scratch.

This isnt only because of bad or good design , its because for example people know the person who made the 'crappy' game and respect him,and without thinking "is this game good" they say "Keep working,its great!". Another thing to keep in mind is that most of us develop games. We're looking at a game more from the mechanical part,instead of thinking about it as gamers. When someone thinks about an idea that is great , he is thinking with his gamer side , but its also what he likes...and he may be the only person that likes it
It depends , why people are talking about 'bad' games and not talking about 'good' games. The reason isnt only in design or style its about the 'human factor' too.
And , by the way , take for example Counter-Strike...not many features to hold on to 20-30 (I dont want to count right now) weapons and a money system,but people loved it and still love it and play it. Simple design , two teams fighting for a period of time,than its starts again...Its not only because each time it'll be diffrent (diffrent people , diffrent movements every round) its also because of the simplicity.You dont have to think about anything else except killing the other guy. Also , there are new versions , but people like the old ones. More people play 1.5 than the new Source (? I think...) The graphics are very diffrent , and also 1.5 isnt that smooth , but it grabs people more. So , (excluding the main topic about people writing) for your game to be fun it has to be carefully designed not to take peoples interest away. Think about what you'd like for a game and what you wouldnt.
Bring out "the kid in you" again and say that 10 levels for Temple of Elemental Evil cant even be compared to the cool 99 levels in Diablo II

Extensive Multiplayer tutorial:
http://mesetts.com/index.php?page=201
Re: What makes a game, a game? [Re: EpsiloN] #163790
12/07/07 13:30
12/07/07 13:30
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
I think what makes a game is the interactive feedback loop, where your interaction changes the state of the system, it's processed into a new configuration which requires further feedback, and there is some kind of objective between agents (player, machine, state of a stack of cards) in a conflict with some kind of quantifiable end point. Simulations and RPG's are more confusing to pigeonhole as games in this definition, unless you consider particular goals as a quantifiable end point (have your sim city reach stage X, or to beat a certain mission in an RPG, or to get your level beyond Y. (Thanks, Rules of Play.)

Re: What makes a game, a game? [Re: JetpackMonkey] #163791
12/21/07 11:11
12/21/07 11:11
austria
R
roald Offline
roald  Offline
R

austria
hi guys...

well i spended nearly 30 minutes to read the whole thread...

however... what makes a game a game: the player THINKS he takes TOTAL control over action/sene/whatever (except settings, here the player must have control); but thats of course NOT TRUE; succesful gamedesigners always implement surprises or "gimmicks" wich the player does not expect.

conclusio:the art of gamedesign ist to make the player BELIEVE he has control...

roalds home

merry x-mas and a happy new year!!
roald

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de