by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (7th_zorro, degenerate_762, AndrewAMD, ozgur), 774 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler #180407
01/28/08 17:05
01/28/08 17:05
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline OP
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline OP
Serious User

San Francisco
Why doesn't "3D Gamestudio" sound cool? My suggestion for the future. Make it sound cool!!!!!!!!!!

Torque sounds cool. Cararra sounds a lot better than its clumsy old name, "Ray Dream Designer". Maya is a lot cooler than "Alias Wavefront". XSI is cooler than "Softimage"

What would you rather say to a producer "I made this with Ray Dream Designer and 3D Game Studio" or "This was made with Carrera and is powered by the Stealth Engine". To me, "3D Gamestudio" sounds old and stale, it sounds 1994. It even sounds pre-Wired Magazine. It has a bad rap. It is assocaited with "the worst game in the world." Decidedly un-cool. Why does Torque sound cool and more appealing, even though it's not as powerful? The name sounds good on the tongue, it suggests great power, and we associate it with powerful machines. Torque is what turns the wheels on a ferrari. If 3D Gamestudio were a student in Jr High School, it would be constantly shoved into the lockers, given wedgies and held upside down in the toilet by Torque, because it sounds so hopelessly nerdy.

Think it's a superficial argument? Maybe, but gaming is obsessed with the latest greatest coolest most powerful stuff out there. Like clothing, like carbonated beverages, cool is important in this field because computer games are targeted at younger audiences, who feed on cool like crazy.

Crysis Engine, doesn't that sound cool as hell? Jade Engine, that's sexy, smooth and cool. I doubt the Jade Engine can do much more than 3D Gamestudio when it comes to technology, but which name do you want associated with your game? Acknex? it sounds like someone sneezed, and it goes back to 1995. A6? A7? No personality, stands for Acknex, vague, doesn't suggest power or smoothness.

Caffeine Engine
Wired Engine
Taurine
Euphoria Engine
Ardent
Stealth Engine
Notorious

or something associated with its German roots, like Native Instruments "Traktor" or "Reaktor" products.

Do you agree or disagree that "3D Gamestudio" sounds cool? Is it time for a new name?

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180408
01/28/08 18:47
01/28/08 18:47
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
hey,!!! i think first the sound needs to be cooler and than the rest. i dont fear the name 3d gamestudio. thats what it is and from my side here's the end of the sentence.

oh and sorry, but btw: i'd never ever buy a macchiato engine. thats for sure

hmm. dont know what you are quoting there...

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: ello] #180409
01/28/08 19:16
01/28/08 19:16
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline OP
Serious User
Serious User

San Francisco
>and btw2: you'd better get out your game and give a good light

I'd rather not any game I make be overtly affiliated with or advocating any kind of middleware whatsoever, honestly. It's just my game. If I had to associate it with an engine name, though, I'd rather not have it affiliated with something so outmoded sounding.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180410
01/28/08 19:37
01/28/08 19:37
Germany
F
fogman Offline
Expert
fogman  Offline
Expert
F

Germany
Some random thoughts:

Zeitgeist Engine
Glowengine 3D
Kobold
Urschleim Engine
Zeppelin Engine

no science involved
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: fogman] #180411
01/28/08 19:47
01/28/08 19:47
Neustadt, Germany
T
TWO Offline

Serious User
TWO  Offline

Serious User
T

Neustadt, Germany
JCL Engine
Doug Engine
My Engine
Food Engine
Cool Engine
Bad-Shadows Engine
Enigne Engine
Awake Engine

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: fogman] #180412
01/28/08 19:50
01/28/08 19:50
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline OP
Serious User
Serious User

San Francisco
Zeitgeist! That's awesome, it's German, it's sexy, it's used by creative and smart people in the USA too. Suggests newness and energy. That's a great name.

Zeppelin is cool too, also good cross-German-English appeal. Classy and fun on the lips.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180413
01/28/08 20:14
01/28/08 20:14
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

achtung3D!
rucksack engine
kindergarten engine
kraut engine

just kidding... after seeing zeitgeist and zeppelin some other german words which sometimes get used in english came to my mind...

here is the engine list from devmaster just to see some engine names:

1. Torque Game Engine
2. TV3D SDK 6.5
3. 3DGameStudio
4. C4 Engine
5. Unity
6. NeoAxis Engine
7. DX Studio v2.2
8. 3Impact
9. Beyond Virtual
10. Deep Creator

1. OGRE
2. Irrlicht
3. Crystal Space
4. Panda3D
5. jME
6. Reality Factory
7. The Nebula Device 2
8. RealmForge
9. Blender Game Engine
10. OpenSceneGraph

actually i find most names pretty bad. my favorites are torque, ogre, irrlicht and nebula device.

coming up with a good name is hard. personally i don't mind "gamestudio" that much (officially the 3d isn't in the name anymore which is good because i think it mainly was what made the name sound old school) but i don't really like the ugly sounding "acknex".

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180414
01/28/08 20:44
01/28/08 20:44
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
At least the name is clearly describing the product... can't say that from all the other engines, apart from the word 'engine'. If other so called "important" people have a problem with the engine name rather than your game... maybe you should find people who judge the looks of your game, rather than the engine name .

If the gamer crowd (who totaly do not care at all about whatever engine it is made) is happy with your game, surely the publishers don't mind the engine's name either. If they think your game sucks, they'll use every argument they can find to convince other people. That may include "roflol it's made with '3D kiddy game studio' =D", but those people are the last you should listen to .

The world doesn't think that bad about 3dgs at all:
http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=67#reviews
Since 14 september they talked about A7, no negative replies so far .

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: ventilator] #180415
01/28/08 20:57
01/28/08 20:57
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
So let me see if I understand this thread correctly:

You assume that a publisher will scoff at your game when you make mention of the name of the engine it was built under, right?
That a producer would NEVER think of supporting a product made with "that" engine.

Don't you see the fundamental flaw in that arguement?
Here I'll spell it out for you in a little play I call

"Focus on the game, not the name"

Community: Change the name! Change the name! No producer will support my game with that name!

f69: GANG, PRODUCERS DON'T GIVE TWO FARTS ABOUT GAME ENGINES!!!

Coummunity: What? How can that be? Surely a game producer would much rather invest in a game made by big, bad, bold Unreal than meek, unknown, kiddie 3D Game Studio, right?

F69: Wrong and you know it! Producers want GOOD GAMES not GOOD GAME ENGINES!!!!

Community: Right! And you can make a better game with Unreal than 3D Game Studio!

F69: And when you play a game, is the first thing you look at the engine it was built under or if it looks cool enough to play?

Community: As a player, I would probably just look at the game. But as a producer, I would definitely pay attention to the game engine so that IF a person looks at it, they are happy with the engine it was built!

F69: Oh really? So you think, you really think, that if you game is fun and it looks like it will sell, the publisher will say "no thanks. we don't care for selling fun games made with 3D Game Studio? That somehow the commercial public is going to say "wow... this was made with 3D Game Studio. Never heard of it. Guess I won't buy this game after all!"?

Community: Well... I guess if they see that it could sell and it would be fun they might buy it.

F69: And you think a producer would rather pony up the half a million dollars to give the game a little more polish and a big name up front? That a producer wants more than anything to drive the cost of making a game as high as possible?

Community: No, that doesn't sound like a good producer. I suppose they would want to get things on the cheap.

F69: Right! So don't you see that it's the GAME and not the GAME ENGINE that a producer is really looking at? And that if you can make a good game on the cheap, that is even better from a profit stand point and producers LOVE profit...

Community: Well...ummmm.... ermmm... I dont' know what to say so I'm just going to call you a censored poopy head because I know more than you but I just can't prove it and I'm going to storm off....hrumph!!!!!

F69:

The End
[exit screen left]

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: fastlane69] #180416
01/28/08 21:07
01/28/08 21:07
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline OP
Serious User
Serious User

San Francisco
Whoa there big guy. Don't pop an artery.

That's fine but it doesn't make 3D Gamestudio sound cool

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  aztec, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de