by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (1 invisible), 672 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180427
01/28/08 23:27
01/28/08 23:27
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

Seriously. Is there even a marketing department or a real product manager who isn't a programmer or answers the phones part time? It's Conitec's mistake.

Everyone is in agreement here about Conitec's marketing. There was even a long thread about it a while back. I too was in your shoes and begged Conitec to get some marketing so I could say their product name with pride!!!! And then you know what happened?

I started making games.
I started going to game conferences.
I started talking to developers and investors and publishers.

And about 50% didn't know 3DGS and the other 50% predictably called it hobbyware. The ones who didn't know where mildly curious about it's feature set and then moved onto the game. The ones who did know, after a few minutes talking about it, they did NOT have that opinion and agreed that their opinion was second hand and not borne of using the product.

Quote:

Do you think a new name to go along with all the new features of the next version of the new engine would spark new sales?

No. Again, you can call it whatever you want but it's still the same engine under the hood and people buying a game engine look under the hood and not at the hood ornaments.

In all cases, what makes the biggest impression is the longevity of the company. How many game engines have been around, constantly improving (even if not at a rate we may be happy with), and under the same company for over a decade? How many can you think off the top of your head or even scouring gamedev.net? Not many, if any.

What you are asking Conitec to do is essentially throw that away. They have built up trademark and IP recognition in the industry under the 3DGS label. Whether the products rep is good or bad, it is ALWAYS bad business to through away IP equity for any reason. So while the product has been 3DGS for longer than some of it's users have been alive, you would ask them to take a GAMBLE (because no matter how cool the name sounds, it's all gamble) that dropping that name would generate strong and tangible benefits. As I've stated before, I jus don't see any benefit to a name change.

Quote:

Because being affilitated with and using the technology of "the world's worst game" isn't really a liability

First off, I find this a ridicoulous point to base your opinion of the engine or it's name on. 99% of our games in this community, IF they were finished and IF they were put up for display would earn that label. Unfortunatley, so would 99% of the games made by Torque, 3DBlitz, and even Unreal! Have you learned nothing from our Showcase Forums? Don't you know that it's easier to say "you suck" a thousand times than to take the time to actually pay attention to a game and say "this is ok" even once? That forums are populated by haters and not lovers and they will try to find fault with a game no matter what? And yet you STILL put weight into some anonymous stranger saying that?

Seriously Jetpack, if you are paying attention to the name of the engine and to what strangers say about a game even the author admits didn't push the engine one iota, then you are paying attention to the wrong things about game dev my friend.

So actually my ad would read:
""3D GAMESTUDIO - If you don't like the sound of it, it's because you're focusing on the wrong thing!"

I've been where you are Jetpack trust me. It's hard to believe in an engine when there is nothing to show for it. I know. But in the 5 years that I've used 3DGS, I've been able to raise 250k USD to fund my business (and my business is my educational game) through personal, federal, and state grants. And lest you think that this is because these are industries that don't know game engines (which is true), when I go to the Serious Games Conference or to he GDC and mention my game engine, I get the reaction I talked about above and then we move on. Here is the important part I want to impart on you: Not ONE person at ANY game conference I have EVER attended has EVER dissuaded me from using this engine. That means that other game developers, developers who have been in the industry longer and made more games than all of us combined... all knew the reputation the 3DGS had and yet looked past the reputation at what it could do. While this should NOT be taken as an endorsement of the engine by any of these people, it SHOULD be taken as reassurance that some of the biggest names in game development and publishing that I've met care very little about the engine (or it's name) and more about what I'M doing with it.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: Joozey] #180428
01/28/08 23:32
01/28/08 23:32
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline OP
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline OP
Serious User

San Francisco
So you're telling me they don't want to make more money? That's not what business is about.

I'm not "unhappy that their marketing sucks" but I don't understand why it sucks and I think it is alienating potential customers who choose Torque instead, and if 3D Gamestudio has bad PR, we get the bad PR by proxy, because people will associate your game with it, regardless if your game is good.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: ventilator] #180429
01/28/08 23:41
01/28/08 23:41
Queensland - Australia
Nidhogg Offline
Serious User
Nidhogg  Offline
Serious User

Queensland - Australia
Quote:

but i don't really like the ugly sounding "acknex".

I agree, sounds like it has a bad case of pimples. "achne"

Windows XP SP3
Intel Dual Core CPU: E5200 @ 2.5GHz
4.00GB DDR3 Ram
ASUS P5G41T-M LX
PCIE x16 GeForce GTS 450 1Gb
SB Audigy 4
Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180430
01/28/08 23:46
01/28/08 23:46
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
over here they call it similar names and discard it outright BUT 'they' never make games, just play them and disparage anything thats not 'Unreal'

'Gamestudio' is going to be the catch word in the future and thats where it will grab the notice of of the disparagers, it only has the rep it does because we are all so 'independant' and rarely collaborate in producing games where the public demands them, FPS, MMO etc...

If you seriously want to get the name on the lips of gameplayers then collaborate and make something they want to play, GStudio is certainly mature enough to do that right now just wish I was

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180431
01/28/08 23:56
01/28/08 23:56
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

So you're telling me they don't want to make more money? That's not what business is about.

Every company wants to grow and expand. But if you try that too aggressively or beyond your bounds, you are merely sacrificing 5 years of steady profits for one year of spectacular profits and then bankruptcy.

Conitec is a business and they have their price points and balance everything out so they can stay and business and keep improving. ANY change to their current business model is risky and while you are correct that business want to make more money, they will not do it in large, risky steps but rather slow, predictable steps.

That's what we have bought into folks, slow and steady as opposed to fast and flashy. FF is the way that the majority of game engines work... they build great demos, wow the GDC and are hailed as the next unreal, and then the either get bought by unreal or become vaporware. SS is the mark to a successful company and by proxy, a successful game engine.

Quote:

and if 3D Gamestudio has bad PR, we get the bad PR by proxy, because people will associate your game with it, regardless if your game is good.

I think the root of your misconception is that you are confusing game developers with customers.

The game developers will hold to the PR. They may not want to join your team or ridicule your game for your engine choice, that is true. Every bad game that is made with 3DGS merely makes the game developer happier because they did NOT choose that engine! But the customer is ignorant of these things. I challenge you to find a customer that follows the Unreal franchise of games or the 3DBlitz francise of games, or even the Torque games! They follow "doom" and "gta" and "ff". They care about games and not game engines. And I would argue that a publisher is in the middle: they have to pay attention to the PR lest the game engine truly has a critical failure that will affect the game (and sales) but they also have to pay attention to what a customer would think of the game. IMO unless the publisher cites a critical failure (such as 3DGS's inability to be put on the web), if you get dismissed by a publisher for using 3DGS, that is not a publisher you want to deal with in ANY engine!

Hence the only people that will unjustly associate bad PR with your game because it was built with 3DGS will be the people that aren't paying you (the developers) and not the ones that are potentially paying you (the customers and investors), so I don't see the problem!

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: fastlane69] #180432
01/29/08 00:02
01/29/08 00:02
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline OP
Serious User
Serious User

San Francisco
>I think the root of your misconception is that you are confusing game developers with customers.
I am not talking about customers. I am talking about producers and people who are considering investing in a project, only to jump to the conclusion that the project is not worthwhile, not serious, because of the game engine's "click-together" reputation.

>so I don't see the problem!
I've noticed! That doesn't mean it isn't there.

You can repeat "Make a better game!!!" and "Producers don't care!!" all you want, it doesn't fix a thing.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: Joozey] #180433
01/29/08 00:03
01/29/08 00:03
Queensland - Australia
Nidhogg Offline
Serious User
Nidhogg  Offline
Serious User

Queensland - Australia
Quote:

Why are we concerned about Conitec's marketing anyway. They are working hard to give us what we demand, and they do not seem to run out of money... for years...

Who says Conitec wants to go big? Growing bigger has it's consequences for every business. Conitec seems a very stable company to me. Doing exactly what it's community asks, you can't possibly ask for a better support on any product!

They probably save a lot of money on marketing because they already have a big community. Money they use to develop the engine to keep you happy. But now you are not happy because Conitec's marketing sucks...

Strange world.

Which suggest to me is. What's wrong with a few of the more advanced
users pitching in and producing a great demo showing of these new features and then contribute it to conitec. Even an upgrade of the default models to more modern ones.

As far as support is concerned.
Try getting support with gamespace. Takes about 1 to 2 months for a reply that's if you get a reply. They don't even give an aproxement date for an upgrade.

I have no complaints about Gamestudio, Great resources, Good support in the forums "When somebody thinks the question is worth the effort of answering or evce giving a tip"

As suggested they are always working hard to provide us with better features. The sound engine is going to get a major overhaul, "I know this because if you look back through this forum you will see the answer when myself and someone else asked about the sound".
Hmmph, "And I get told off for not trying search first before asking a question"

Some get free Gamestudio upgrade compared to other devolping businesses that charge everybody extra money.

nuff said..

Windows XP SP3
Intel Dual Core CPU: E5200 @ 2.5GHz
4.00GB DDR3 Ram
ASUS P5G41T-M LX
PCIE x16 GeForce GTS 450 1Gb
SB Audigy 4
Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: Nems] #180434
01/29/08 00:05
01/29/08 00:05
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
Dunno if you replied to me or not, I shall give an answer nonetheless .
Quote:

I'm telling you that earning more money might not be on top of their ToDo list. I do not know Conitec's goals and visions, but seen how close JCL works with the community, I think their customers are on number 1 rather than expanding the company. And I think they do very good to focus on their community and customers.

Quote:

and if 3D Gamestudio has bad PR, we get the bad PR by proxy, because people will associate your game with it

They associated Big Rigs with gamestudio as well. As far as I know, it's not made with 3dgs. So if your game is good, they wont bash it down because you made it with gamestudio, they wont bash it down at all because you made a good game. They do use 3dgs to empathise how bad a game is, but it's a matter of time before things change. The A7 engine has yet to prove it's power, and it's in full development.

Quote:

If you seriously want to get the name on the lips of gameplayers then collaborate and make something they want to play

Agree on that one .

Last edited by Joozey; 01/29/08 00:07.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: Joozey] #180435
01/29/08 00:12
01/29/08 00:12
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline OP
Serious User
Serious User

San Francisco
Quote:

They associated Big Rigs with gamestudio as well. As far as I know, it's not made with 3dgs.

Why would they have jumped to such a conclusion? So a game sucks, they automatically assume it was made with gamestudio... and that is not a marketing problem why? ....

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180436
01/29/08 00:17
01/29/08 00:17
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:

I've noticed! That doesn't mean it isn't there.

I actually started another thread in Business Forum to tackle this exact question. I've never run into this problem so for me it truly isn't there. But it may be there for you and others that is the crux of that thread: trying to find out exactly what effect the name 3DGS has on investors.

Quote:

I am talking about producers and people who are considering investing in a project, only to jump to the conclusion that the project is not worthwhile, not serious, because of the game engine's "click-together" reputation.

But isn't it true that someone investing in your game would play it first and then base it on it's merits?

And if like it's been stated, people don't even click start for knowing that it's a 3DGS product, are these the people you want to do business with?

People that put a name and a rep above the actual product? Aren't these the same type of producers that allowed Doom 3 to be published becaus it had the hottest "name" in town (only to find the game sucked)?

I'm sorry but it just doesn't make sense to me that a company would dismiss a good game merely because it was built by 3DGS. I've never experienced it and I'm curious to find out about other peoples experiences with rejection because of this.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  aztec, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de