by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (dr_panther, Ayumi, 7th_zorro), 877 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: PHeMoX] #180477
02/01/08 06:55
02/01/08 06:55
USA
lionclaws Offline
lionclaws  Offline

USA
JCL, "Zzyzx Engine"!...like ello said,it's kind of hard to pronounce;

but cooooooool.3DGS is just as cool.

Last edited by lionclaws; 02/01/08 06:56.

Good lighting doesn't just happen,it's designed.
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: lionclaws] #180478
02/01/08 09:24
02/01/08 09:24
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Yz!

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180479
02/05/08 22:41
02/05/08 22:41
UK,Terra, SolarSystem, Milky W...
pararealist Offline
pararealist  Offline

UK,Terra, SolarSystem, Milky W...
Hi, it would probably make Gamestudio cost more. Name changing in business is expensive.

Anyway, it says in the name what it does, a studio for creating games, more than that one does not need.

Only problem is that all the other gamestudios out there, one especally, keeps coming up when i search for gamestudio.

But, GSTUDIOA7 is also a good name as far as i am concerned, and i install in this (named) folder.

AND it is getting better and better, almost daily.

A8.3x Commercial, AcknexWrapper and VS 2010 Express
○pararealist now.
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: pararealist] #180480
02/06/08 23:13
02/06/08 23:13
Damocles Offline
Expert
Damocles  Offline
Expert

It must not be a full change.
As Conitec has gamestudio as Brandname, the gamestudio brand itself should not be dropped.

It is about the more expensive versions. (eg Pro)
If they would get a new market appearence, it would make the product more "sleek" for
proposing it as platform for development. (for the reasons discussed above)

Lite-C for example is also a new brand name. Conitec could have called it "3D Game Studio C",
wich would not have been a good choice.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: JetpackMonkey] #180481
02/10/08 14:34
02/10/08 14:34
22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
Frederick_Lim Offline
User
Frederick_Lim  Offline
User

22�21'24"N 114�07'30"E
Torque is not that superior in terms of ease of use, this is something found in their forum:
Quote:

You just have to choose what fits your teams skill level. Just look at what successful indie games are out there, only a tiny fraction are made with Torque. There's a lot of catching up for Garage Games to do, it's not enough to have pretty shaders and shadows, those can be done with almost any engine to the same level and are fundamentaly an art tool, not so much an engine feature.

One area that Torque still stands out is networking, and in some ways even though BSP and CSG is somewhat outdated, it does make it easy to mod and create simple levels even for a novice. Something that fits nicely in a gamers comfort zone with familiarity of similar tools helping get them running off the bat.

At the end of the day it doesn't make it any easier to actualy go on to finish a game, and limits what you can do to some extent because making torque work in genres it wasn't designed for is extremely difficult without an experienced team with solid C++ knowledge.

I think Torque got better reputation because there is an "AAA" game made with it, but it could be Tough for small or solo developer to create a game, the Torque script is not flexible enough, you can only create mod base on the build-in engine behaviour, or create unique behaviour by modify the engine, or buy those CONTENT PACK!

Edit:
Maybe Conitec consider to change the description order in their web site:

Professional
Advanced
Beginner

Strongly emphasis the template system call "T7 Engine" for beginner. Click together game is using "T7 Engine". Now the template system is list first in the forecast page, I think critical engine features like "New engine features", "Shader", "lite-C", "In-game editor", "WED/MED improvement" should list first.

Last edited by Frederick_Lim; 02/10/08 17:11.
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: Frederick_Lim] #180482
02/13/08 05:28
02/13/08 05:28
J
JustOneOldMan Offline
JustOneOldMan  Offline
J

Long read in this thread, but in the end I'm not sure what a name change would do for an established product.

If Metallica changed their name to "The Friendly Guys With Nice Hair" would we not still know they're Metallica? And if Elton John changed his name to "Bad Ass Punk Rocker From The Depths of Hades" wouldn't we still know it's Elton John?

If you found the coolest name in the world for a game engine, changed GameStudio to it, and walked into a publishers office tomorrow with a game made from it, does anybody really think the publisher would say "Well that's better then, has to be a good game now with a new cool game engine name like that, Here, give me a look at it".

I kind of think they would say "You mean GameStudio?"

It's kind of like saying that when you take your Ford Pinto to the race track they laugh at you, so the next day you come back with a Mustang sticker on it, and everybody now takes you seriously and begs you to race.

Being new here and to GameStudio I may be out in left field on this, but somehow I can't imagine a name change actually changing the image of a well established company. Besides, GameStudio seems to fit, and personally after being around other dev sites quite a bit I don't think GS has all that bad a reputation. A lot of people that hang out at GarageGames and also use Torque actually speak pretty highly of it.

I do agree with everyone that's said they should have better marketing and much better and more current demo to show off the engine...

A7 Commercial
Two Track Music
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: JustOneOldMan] #180483
02/13/08 12:06
02/13/08 12:06
Guangzhou China
bomber Offline
bomber  Offline

Guangzhou China
Well 3dgs is famous now, everyone knows about 3d gamestudio, even if they like it or not if you change the name, even if you say"this is 3dgamestudio" it'll take a long time before it gets famous

"I don't know what the facts are but somebody's certainly going to sit down with him and find out what he knows that they may not know, and make sure he knows what they know that he may not know."
————Donald Rumfeld
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: bomber] #180484
02/13/08 12:12
02/13/08 12:12
F
FBL Offline
Senior Expert
FBL  Offline
Senior Expert
F

Let's face it: They already dropped the "3d" from the official name, most people here (including me) didn't even notice this change and still refer to "3dgs".
This won't change with another name change.

Using "T7" for advertising might work out, but in first place I agree with the lack of quality demos. It's not especially that there are none, but I think they are not placed very good. For the potential customer demos linked in Wiki and forum can be considered as very well hidden.
Take a look at how other companies do that: http://www.quest3d.com/index.php?id=15

Without wanting to advertise this engine or start a discussion about its features (so don't even think about starting another engine war here), I think this page works out very well.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: FBL] #180485
02/13/08 16:46
02/13/08 16:46
Greece
LarryLaffer Offline
Serious User
LarryLaffer  Offline
Serious User

Greece
Quote:

Lite-C for example is also a new brand name. Conitec could have called it "3D Game Studio C",
wich would not have been a good choice.

That's how I advertised the engine in my dissertation. You just can't study in uni for 4 years and state you've made your final year project using "3D GameStudio". Of course, i did use A6 Pro, but I've lied that I've used Lite-C instead. In the end, no one really cared...

part of my presentation

INTENSE AI: Use the Best AI around for your games!
Join our Forums now! | Get Intense Pathfinding 3 Free!
Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler [Re: LarryLaffer] #180486
02/14/08 17:20
02/14/08 17:20
Damocles Offline
Expert
Damocles  Offline
Expert

I wrote my diploma thesis about RFID.
(the little radio tags, that will eventually replace the barcode in a couple of years
on all consumer products)

A main reference book, was actually "RFID for Dummies", mainly for
covering the topic in broad terms.
There where many other papers/books for specific points, but I actually used the book the most.

I had to kind of hide it in the references, putting it in the middle of the reference table, as it really
did not sound well to use a "for Dummies" book. (although the book is a good review of the industry/technology)

-> Wrong naming, can really hurt a product.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  aztec, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de