by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Quad), 595 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Valve's Steamworks [Re: Nems] #180951
01/31/08 04:57
01/31/08 04:57
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
didnt bought hl2 because of steam as well nor will i buy such a game. the simple reason is, that for simply no reason in the whole world i should be forced to hand over my personal data for a bought item.
its like they would demand your personal id or passport whenever you buy a leaf of bread at the local bakery.

i do not trust companies so why should i send them everything about me (personal data, hardware info, logs,...).
companies force children to work for no money with the blink of an eye. do you really think they might have a problem doing "wrong" things with you as well.

bottom line: i will never buy games from the gestapo.

cheers

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: Valve's Steamworks [Re: Blattsalat] #180952
01/31/08 07:18
01/31/08 07:18
Latvia
Leonardo Offline OP
Leonardo  Offline OP

Latvia
Well, then let's hope that the Steamworks package will be fully customizable, so we may fix the problems mentioned in this post. I reckon that we will have the option to turn off certain parts of the software, that require the personal information of a buyer, at least that would make sense to me.
But I guess I just have to wait for the software to come out!

"Things of the mind left untested by the senses are useless."
Re: Valve's Steamworks [Re: Blattsalat] #180953
01/31/08 08:25
01/31/08 08:25
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Quote:

i do not trust companies so why should i send them everything about me

If I would think so then all my internet income would not be possible. I could not create an internet shop and sell via paypal or 2checkout. I could not login into many forums and I could not buy games, software or even books via amazon.

Every internet user gives personal data away almost every day. If you dont want to do that then it is better to log off from world wide web

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Valve's Steamworks [Re: Machinery_Frank] #180954
01/31/08 10:43
01/31/08 10:43
Netherlands
C
Cacti Offline
Cacti  Offline
C

Netherlands
So if we ignore the dislike for Steam here for a moment, what about this free package? Would it be a useful tool for indy games? What do you actually get and what do you actually give? What are the catches?

What I'm particularly interested in is WHY it is free. I doubt they would pay for all the bandwidth increase... Maybe you have to set up your own servers to be linked (or not) into the Steam network? So far the site isn't particularly filled up with details yet, only basic descriptions of the supplied services are given.

What is interesting is that it could mean that indy game developers could just "self-publish" easily and effectively instead of trying to find a publisher. Since it's "free" it seems more cost-effective too.

Re: Valve's Steamworks [Re: Cacti] #180955
01/31/08 10:56
01/31/08 10:56
Latvia
Leonardo Offline OP
Leonardo  Offline OP

Latvia
As I understood from the small details written on their site, you are not obliged to link your game to the Steam network. The Steamworks package supposedly only helps you, as a developer, publish the game, it is like a tool. And why they are giving it out for free - well:
1) Valve rocks! ^^
2) The more people use their software, the more recognition they get and more people are getting used to using Steam, so more sales for Valve's games. If everything goes as planned for these guys, I believe Steam might become one of the top methods of publishing your games, and from a marketing point of view, that is always good!

"Things of the mind left untested by the senses are useless."
Re: Valve's Steamworks [Re: Leonardo] #180956
01/31/08 14:43
01/31/08 14:43
old_bill Offline
Senior Expert
old_bill  Offline
Senior Expert

In my opinion it's a mix of an anti-pirate, distribution control and user-connection package.

So whether you like steam or not, over 13 million people already joined the network,
which makes it very attractive as publishing channel, even for smaller games.
I think thats also the deal behind, the sdk makes it easier for valve to have games
which are ready to integrate in Steam, and with every sale they're participating in your success.

Quote:

• Real-time stats on sales, gameplay, and product activation: Know exactly how well your title is selling before the charts are released. Find out how much of your game is being played. Login into your Steamworks account pages and view up to the hour information regarding worldwide product activations and player data.

• State of the art encryption system: Stop paying to have your game pirated before it’s released. Steamworks takes anti-piracy to a new level with strong encryption that keeps your game locked until the moment it is released.

• Territory/version control: The key-based authentication provided in Steamworks also provides territory/version controls to help curb gray market importing and deliver territory-specific content to any given country or region.

• Auto updating: Ensures all customers are playing the latest and greatest version of your games.

• Voice chat: Available for use both in and out of game.

• Multiplayer matchmaking: Steamworks offers you all the multiplayer backend and matchmaking services that have been created to support Counter-Strike and Team Fortress 2, the most played action games in the world.

• Social networking services: With support for achievements, leaderboards, and avatars, Steamworks allows you to give your gamers as many rewards as you would like, plus support for tracking the world’s best professional and amateur players of your game.

• Development tools: Steamworks allows you to administer private betas which can be updated multiple times each day. Also includes data collection tools for QA, play testing, and usability studies.

Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.
Re: Valve's Steamworks [Re: Nems] #180957
01/31/08 15:10
01/31/08 15:10
mpdeveloper_B Offline
Expert
mpdeveloper_B  Offline
Expert

Quote:

Yup, me too, hate these systems, I just want the game.

why wouldn't you release 2 versions then, steam powered and non-steam on your website

i like steam now, i used to hate it, but it's very secure and it's not much of a resource hog, it's also helpful to have the games that you bought set up that way

- aka Manslayer101
Re: Valve's Steamworks [Re: mpdeveloper_B] #180958
01/31/08 15:33
01/31/08 15:33
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
i like it because I no longer have to keep track of disks. i am unorganized

Re: Valve's Steamworks [Re: lostclimate] #180959
02/01/08 09:05
02/01/08 09:05
Finland
Inestical Offline
Rabbit Developer
Inestical  Offline
Rabbit Developer

Finland
I'm grown fond of Steam. It's system works well. Even though there are The Steam Problems™ it still works.

"Yesterday was once today's tomorrow."
Re: Valve's Steamworks [Re: Inestical] #180960
02/01/08 19:29
02/01/08 19:29
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
@ mpdeveloper_B, It might be worth looking at for sure (despite my current prejudices ) however, my target audience is specific to NZ first, the world second and most providers here do not like Steam either as it 1. registers as a viral type of application to them therefore, caution is on red alert, 2. They are principly business people and not willing to change something that works well for something they regard with suspicion as its 'New Tech' and 3. their engineers are of a similar mind too.

Mind you, my experience was some 3 or 4 years ago where having downloaded 2 gigs of data, the dam thing would not register after multiple tries, might have improved in the interim and so I never got a look at my all time fav game Half Life revisited

As it stands, I will await developments here and make an assessment on your guys experiences with this package

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de