by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (howardR, sleakz), 688 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: C4 Game [Re: D3D] #183045
02/18/08 10:09
02/18/08 10:09
broozar Offline
Expert
broozar  Offline
Expert

as it's directX-based, dream on, it will never be until gs moves to openGL.

Re: C4 Game [Re: D3D] #183046
02/18/08 22:05
02/18/08 22:05
Lisbon, Portugal
M
mmelo Offline
mmelo  Offline
M

Lisbon, Portugal
Quote:

If GameStudio Pro could publish to Mac and Linux I would upgrade today!

Yeah, I feel GS being a single-platform engine will increasingly play against it. It seems these days everything can compile to 2 or more stacks, which is a boon.

Re: C4 Game [Re: Machinery_Frank] #183047
02/19/08 04:38
02/19/08 04:38
Minbar
M
MaxF Offline OP
Serious User
MaxF  Offline OP
Serious User
M

Minbar
This what I mean about licensing:

"Royalties must be paid on a shipped game"

Professional License = "You only need a Professional License if your publisher is a member of the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) or the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers Association (ELSPA). "

Quote:

What's the difference between the Standard License and the Professional License?

* The Standard License does not allow you to publish with a major publisher as defined in the previous question. However, standard licensees can still publish through publishers who are not members of the ESA or ELSPA.

* A separate Standard License must be purchased for each programmer. Under the Professional License, there is no limit to the number of users at a single company.

* The Professional License comes with additional support. Your company will receive a private area on our forums to which only they have access, and your feature requests have higher priority.

* The Professional License is issued for a single game title, whereas the Standard License can be used for an unlimited number of titles.

* Royalties must be paid on a shipped game title under the Professional License. For games shipped under the Standard License, no royalties need to be paid.

* The Professional License reverts to a Standard License after your game ships. This means that you still get updates for life, but you can't publish a second game through a major publisher without obtaining a new Professional License.

Re: C4 Game [Re: MaxF] #183048
02/19/08 09:15
02/19/08 09:15
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

You can publish as often as you want and without royalties with the standard license.

More than 99 percent of us will never publish through a big publisher. So we do not need the professional license.
You can be happy to sell your product for 10 bucks at a few casual websites.

But if you have the next crysis-killer, then you have spent so much money that the professional license will be peanuts for you and your publisher.

So this is not really an issue. First make your killer game with standard license and then see what happens

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: C4 Game [Re: Machinery_Frank] #183049
02/19/08 15:33
02/19/08 15:33
Minbar
M
MaxF Offline OP
Serious User
MaxF  Offline OP
Serious User
M

Minbar
Very True.

What do you think of C4 .v. S2 engine?

Re: C4 Game [Re: MaxF] #183050
02/19/08 16:01
02/19/08 16:01
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Quote:

What do you think of C4 .v. S2 engine?

Good question. I like both.

But C4 has better Collada support. I can import animated models via Collada. In S2 you can only import static meshes with Collada and animated models have to be exported from 3ds max. This is not good for me as a Lightwave user.

S2 comes with a C-syntax-scripting language. This might be more comfortable for many C-Script users but it is still brand new and they are writing on docs this week. So I will wait and judge after the release.

If you checked the last beta-demos from A7 then you know that both engines render significantly faster than A7.

Gamecore will also beat this. I know some users checking the beta version of it and their engine renders shader based with lots of new technology for shadows and lighting, path-finding, AI, customizable scene-management and so on.

But at the end they all have do provide good documentation to convince the indie and hobby developers. And these were the weak spots in the past.

So we still have to wait a few weeks to judge that.

Re: C4 Game [Re: Machinery_Frank] #183051
02/19/08 16:39
02/19/08 16:39
germany, dresden
ulf Offline
Serious User
ulf  Offline
Serious User

germany, dresden
Quote:

You can publish as often as you want and without royalties with the standard license.

More than 99 percent of us will never publish through a big publisher. So we do not need the professional license.
You can be happy to sell your product for 10 bucks at a few casual websites.

But if you have the next crysis-killer, then you have spent so much money that the professional license will be peanuts for you and your publisher.

So this is not really an issue. First make your killer game with standard license and then see what happens

yeah this is the point, no one will ever put money into something wich is unshure like this. at least i wouldn't want to pump tons of money into something just to see what happens...
i like "strait forward" licenses much more that exactely tell you how much money you have to pay in what situations. (see gamestudio)

the next thing is, who decides what a "big" publisher is? lots of indies make money through portals such as bigfishgames, relfexive... and still get nothing!!! compared to what the portals make - but have no other choice. and the portals will not pay you anything for an engine and so on... they just decide if they sell your finished product. and they get tons of quality submissions each day. so if these license includes portals as "big publishers" no indie will ever use it...

Re: C4 Game [Re: ulf] #183052
02/19/08 17:50
02/19/08 17:50
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

ulf, read before you post!

"big publishers" are very well defined at the terathon website. You can even find this definition in this thread.

Re: C4 Game [Re: Machinery_Frank] #183053
02/19/08 18:53
02/19/08 18:53
germany, dresden
ulf Offline
Serious User
ulf  Offline
Serious User

germany, dresden
frank, i responded to the thing with the license restriction in general, i know what esa and elspa members are and in this case(c4) its pretty clear. (anyways, what happens if in the process of development your targeted publisher decides to join one of these institutions for whatever reasons?)

but this license thingy is becoming more and more common with unshure terms like "big" and so on. this is making me upset, because everyone and their mother wants to tie you to something, wich they can easily adjust after you bought a product to whatever they think fits them best at the moment.

i just want to raise attention to this because i lost money due to such unclear "contract" things. in the case of c4 this might be no problem, as long as a publisher for example dont decide to join the esa or elspa. maybe joining this institution becomes very profitable for them overnight... who knows.
so no need to start a war here, i just want to tell fellow developers to read and interpret these statements twice and dont ever sign something where you think with common sense because the other contracter can always say, "no i mean something else" afterwards...

okay now back to the c4 topic.

Re: C4 Game [Re: ulf] #183054
02/19/08 19:30
02/19/08 19:30
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

C4 license is clear and fair.

If you publish through something like Ubisoft then there is enough money. Eric does a great job with C4 and I wish him to be successful.

I dont know why you get upset about licenses but this is business and a good technology is much more worth than only a few hundret bucks. So it is absolutely okay.

You dont have to buy it if you disagree. This is how business works.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de