Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Ayumi, alibaba), 704 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
lorikob361, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: nerdfrau - the nerd´s match [Re: amy] #187754
03/10/08 14:28
03/10/08 14:28
The Netherlands
E
Excessus Offline
Expert
Excessus  Offline
Expert
E

The Netherlands
Quote:

pc nerds have few hobbies. they are rarely seen outdoors. they do rarely engage in social activities.

If this is the case, women are the least of your problems. I strongly believe that both social activities and sports are required for a healthy physical and mental state. Those, in turn, are what desirable women find attractive (yea that's a generalization and simplification).

What most "nerds" (man I hate that word) don't realize is that both sports and social activities can be a lot of fun, once you reach a certain level of proficiency. And it is important to understand that both are skills just like any other. Most people understand this in the case of sports, but not for social stuff. Poor social skills are not so much something you are born with, you can train it like any other skill.

Quote:

what does yout mate think about your pc job/obsession/hobby?

I have found that women I have met react differently depending on how I tell them what I do. I usually get a positive response when I include emotional aspects, and negative ones when I focus on technical details (no matter how basic to you). For example, if I say that I create graphical effects (shaders, but that's too technical) that spice up the game or help engage the player, or tell them that I make games multiplayer so that players can have fun together, I tend to get positives responses. People often follow up by saying they never understood how games/programs where made. Don't tell them what a programming language or game engine is, that'll quickly bore them. Just say something like "yea it's difficult" and then say something else.

Quote:

are you concerned about your look, the impression you make on women?

Being concerned with your looks gets you nowhere. It will only make nervous when women are around, which in turn will leave a bad impression of you. So if you are not concerned about your looks (or whatever else there is to be concerned about), there is no reason to be concerned. That's not to say you shouldn't takae care of yourself.

Re: nerdfrau - the nerd´s match [Re: Excessus] #187755
03/10/08 21:26
03/10/08 21:26
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
i like this thread already. it's interesting to see what people have to say about themselves, women, and their social lives, and nice to see that people here actually do get out.

"how did you meet your girlfriends/wives/mates, if any?"
school. graduated together. hooked up graduation night, kept that going for a couple of weeks and started a relationship (though the relationship could've started a lot earlier). past girlfriends were at school or relatives of friends of mine.

"any opinions about online dating portals?"
risky. i've never tried them so i can't talk from experience, but i think there's a tendency for them to be perceived as a last-resort. i wouldn't ever try them.

"what does yout mate think about your pc job/obsession/hobby?"
my obsession is football (soccer). my girl plays on a girls football team. we can play/talk about football all the time. it really isn't hard to balance a mental hobby with a physical hobby (computers and football, for example).

"how does the pc interfere with your social/private life?"
i wouldn't say it interferes. it helps me keep in touch with a friend of mine who's cruising around queensland during his gap-year. it helps me get info on what my friends are doing. i think part of the ease of that, though, is that a few of my friends are unhealthily obsessed with myspace without being computer nerds, if you know what i mean. a lot of people (mostly girls) are starting to do that.

"are you ashamed to tell women that you like computing?"
no way. i do avoid trying to explain the complications of writing physics or fancy shaders, though. but that's not too hard, coz i don't actually like talking about computers with people in person. i make much better friends with other musos or sporting mates than people who just wanna talk about games or what version of linux they use. --that being said, online is an exception. written discussions about games and game development are great, i reckon, in a forum format.

"are you concerned about your look, the impression you make on women?"
nah.

"do you think pc is addicting and inhibits family life?"
i know it does with my brother he's almost always on his laptop looking for the latest goss on games.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: nerdfrau - the nerd´s match [Re: JibbSmart] #187756
03/11/08 07:03
03/11/08 07:03
Richmond B.C., Canada
Captain_Kiyaku Offline

Dichotomic
Captain_Kiyaku  Offline

Dichotomic

Richmond B.C., Canada
how did you meet your girlfriends/wives/mates, if any?
Online, and we are together for 3 1/2 year now

any opinions about online dating portals?
Actually it's a good way to meet people IMO, especially if someone is really shy. You can get a first expression at the beginning and later meet the one IRL. Without this online platform, you probably wouldnt even ask a girls.

what does yout mate think about your pc job/obsession/hobby?
She likes the idea that i create games and she also likes to play (not that much but more than the avarage of girls do i think).

how does the pc interfere with your social/private life?
Only positive. I'm not addicted to my computer, i often had weeks/month where i had no PC and had still a LOT of fun with other people and i didn't miss anything.
Though the PC makes many things easier, so it only "affect" it in a positive way.

are you ashamed to tell women that you like computing?
Nope. I love to play games and to create them, thats my passion. If a girl doesn't like it, it's the best thing to clear that at the beginning so you won't waste your time with a person who dislikes you by what you do as hobby

are you concerned about your look, the impression you make on women?
I don't look good and make a shy, uncertain impression. It really bothered me years ago but since i found the perfect girl for me who even looks really good, i don't weigth my impression to strangers that high anymore.

do you think pc is addicting and inhibits family life?
I think i would be more extroverted without the PC cause i HAVE to meet people IRL and not in the internet first. Don't know if it's inhabits family life in general but in my case, it does a bit at least

My Blog

"Tag und Nacht schrei ich mich heiser,
Wind weht alle Worte fort,
Tag und Nacht schrei ich mein Krähenwort!"

Subway To Sally - Krähenkönig
Re: nerdfrau - the nerd´s match [Re: Captain_Kiyaku] #250622
02/09/09 04:54
02/09/09 04:54
A
amy Offline
amy  Offline
A

Re: nerdfrau - the nerd´s match [Re: amy] #250651
02/09/09 08:44
02/09/09 08:44
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
hmmm... i guess my solution is make your career your hobby, this type of efficiency gives you free time to "put up with a girlfriend" or at least in my case laugh

EDIT:

also wanted to add that for me, charisma can also make being a geek into a good thing. If you can maintain the right image you look successful and smart, but with a slightly bad slacker approach just to give an edge. if you do it wrong tho, you just look like a slacker.

Last edited by lostclimate; 02/09/09 08:47.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de