by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (flink, AndrewAMD), 656 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Can these Servers handle an MMORPG? #190131
03/25/08 09:27
03/25/08 09:27
England
RyuShinji Offline OP
RyuShinji  Offline OP

England
I'm going to rent a Dedicated Server for my mmorpg, but i wanted to know what you think of them first.
Are these servers what i need for my mmorpg to handle "atleast" 100s of players?

Link: http://servers.aplus.net/dedicated/single-core.html

I spoke to one of the sales people and they said i could... what do you think?

I've got my eye on the Celeron 1.7 GHz for now, if its good enough, i guess can always upgrade later on if i need to...

If you can provide any info on how to use these with GS & how i get them to be a working server would be most appreciated, all i know is how to put -sv for running it on my pc thats all i know about hosting a server in GS...

Re: Can these Servers handle an MMORPG? [Re: RyuShinji] #190132
03/25/08 12:58
03/25/08 12:58
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
your dedicated server should run your server executable, and store mysql data.

as i already said before my "core2duo 1.88 ghz 2gb ram" home pc with winodws xp was able to run Knight Online server with around 45 clients connected. all login server,game server,database was on this pc and i was also running the client same time.

these servers should handle 100s of players theorytically.

-just setting up a Knight Online server was a great pain, and it was really hard to something stable, writing the game and server your own would be more difficult, imo-

Re: Can these Servers handle an MMORPG? [Re: Quad] #190133
03/25/08 18:03
03/25/08 18:03
England
RyuShinji Offline OP
RyuShinji  Offline OP

England
Hi, Quadraxas
WOW! I've just googled Knight Online, you ran a server for that! ^_^

Oh, i managed port forwarding, made my ip static and added my global ip to my ip list, so it works now i think, ive also done that distance visiblity you suggested and it works great! ^_^ i'm using the cbabe model for now just to get my code in place...

I plan to start using sql as soon as my websites back up! unless it would work differently with one of these servers, if i can get my code in place using my own pc like u did that would be great! umm sorry to be a pain but how should i start? ^_^

Re: Can these Servers handle an MMORPG? [Re: RyuShinji] #190134
03/25/08 18:45
03/25/08 18:45
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
well, if you are goning to use your pc for tests
[i suggest that this is better than hiring a dedicated server, at this point of development]

so you better setup the mysql server in your pc too. Knight Online was using odbc and MsSql and i was using "MS sql server 2005 express" for my server, but for mysql you should install a mysql server service in your pc.

There are complete solutions that does the same job with ms sql server 2005 but for mysql, like wamp, easyphp etc. Just installing mysql will do but, the tools i mentioned before have apache+mysql+mysql managers inside, these are better if you are using mysql first time.(i use wamp for testing my php scripts, and it just works fine ) . these will also allow you to create and publis a webpage directly from your pc, thus you will be able to create a registration page for your test game.(or you can do this in game)

i dont think installing all these in your pc same time will cause problems while you are testing(i assume that between 2 and 30 people testing).

Well i messed up explaining, these are the steps you should follow:

-first get a mysql server(install wamp)
-now you have mysql and managers installed.
-go to one of the managers(i prefer phpmyadmin) and create a database, set users and passwords etc.(you can google the usage of phpyadmin). to run php my admin right click on the wamp icon in the tray and fimd phpmyadmin here.
-then write some little applications to see if you can connect to your database and can run queries and can handle the results correcly.(check d3d's mysql plugin and examples.)
-then add mysql to your game.

i think learning sql will take sometime, but dont worry its not difficult

Re: Can these Servers handle an MMORPG? [Re: Quad] #190135
03/25/08 18:52
03/25/08 18:52
England
RyuShinji Offline OP
RyuShinji  Offline OP

England
Thank you!! thats just the what i needed to know, I'll do all that(although i know it wont be that easy ^_^) and post an test example for you and everyone to try out! cant wait to get started... yey!

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de