by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Ayumi), 1,393 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 26 of 32 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 31 32
The kID #192647
09/17/04 20:31
09/17/04 20:31
Tirana/Albania
fuxerz Offline OP
The kID

Greetings every1.I think its time to post my project on showcase2.
Short description:
Short description.
You will be playing a private investigator named .....?! wich has been paid to find a missing kid in a small semi forgotten city(there will be a legend behind this).The kid has been kidnaped and the only edvidence found in the place where he dissapeard is a photo of him with his family made in a nearby small city called ....?!
The story will evolve,there will be another character wich will "help" the player through the game.

The finished project will include:
Dynamic camera change (static to chase)
Dynamic map
Cut-scene based story-telling
2 playble characters
1 Whole city to explore
Many types different enemys.
2 bosses
Weapons will vary from simple objects found in the level to handgun
This is all the info i can give now.Expect for new features to be included as development goes on.
Here are the screenshots:

311 Comments
Re: The kID [Re: Locoweed] #192897
03/23/05 12:24
03/23/05 12:24
Oz
L
Locoweed Offline
Expert
Locoweed  Offline
Expert
L

Oz
Hi,

Sigh, my site is down for a while until I get the bandwidth increased. So please be patient beta testers. Bad planning on my part. I should be able to get it increased and we will be getting a domain name and large bandwidth capabilities very shortly.

My apologies,
Loco

Professional A8.30
Spoils of War - East Coast Games
Re: The kID [Re: Locoweed] #192898
03/23/05 12:52
03/23/05 12:52
Jesusland
Towelie Offline
Serious User
Towelie  Offline
Serious User

Jesusland
Its fine, most of the stuff that I will be finding was found the first time I tried. How long are we talking, then? few hours? days?

Jimmy died, today, he blew his brains out into the bay, in the state of mind, its my own private suicide. A stitch in time saves nine... what the hell does that mean?!?
Re: The kID [Re: Towelie] #192899
03/23/05 13:01
03/23/05 13:01
Oz
L
Locoweed Offline
Expert
Locoweed  Offline
Expert
L

Oz
I was hoping not to do this until demo release time but the game is getting too big, oh well. I should know very soon on the bandwidth increase on the existing site.

I am looking into larger hosting right now. Probably a day or so if I can't get the bandwidth increased immediately on the existing server.

Edit: We will have a new host and domain name tommorrow. So after we get everything set back up I will let you know. Unfornately, we will have a new forum, actually it will be a better one, but we have to go through the set-up process again. The host server should be very reliable also. Nothing should change from this point on. If I need any information to set you back up for the new forum, I will let you know. My bad guys, sorry.

Loco

Last edited by Locoweed; 03/23/05 15:16.

Professional A8.30
Re: The kID [Re: Locoweed] #192900
03/23/05 22:34
03/23/05 22:34
New Brunswick, Canada
Ayrus Offline
Serious User
Ayrus  Offline
Serious User

New Brunswick, Canada
It's all good, as long as I know whats up, it's not a problem to my mind. On a side note, did you get a chance to see my post on the latest beta?? If not I can let you know what I have come up with on msn.

Regards,
Ayrus

suprised my account is still active....
Re: The kID [Re: Ayrus] #192901
03/23/05 22:40
03/23/05 22:40
Jesusland
Towelie Offline
Serious User
Towelie  Offline
Serious User

Jesusland
I'll be gone for a few days (until firday) I cant remember if I told ya loco.

Jimmy died, today, he blew his brains out into the bay, in the state of mind, its my own private suicide. A stitch in time saves nine... what the hell does that mean?!?
Re: The kID [Re: Towelie] #192902
03/25/05 03:07
03/25/05 03:07
Oz
L
Locoweed Offline
Expert
Locoweed  Offline
Expert
L

Oz
The kID Forums are up again. Beta Testers - your login info should be the same. Any problems let me know.

EDIT: The forums are at a new location, so use link above please.

Loco

Last edited by Locoweed; 03/26/05 03:20.

Professional A8.30
Re: The kID [Re: Locoweed] #192903
07/02/05 08:11
07/02/05 08:11
Oz
L
Locoweed Offline
Expert
Locoweed  Offline
Expert
L

Oz
Howdy,

Fuxer is on vacation and I have been harvesting and planting for 2 months straight and my brain is fried from the 75 hour weeks I have been working, so in my confused state without Fuxer around I have decided to post the link to Beta 0.7 of The kID. This is my candid explaination of where I believe we are currently at with the game.

I did not make this decision lighty, because Beta 0.7 is nothing close to what the final demo will be, but what the hey. We are currently reworking everything from what was once Silent Hill fans trying to emulate that game into making it a very unique game. Beta 0.7 however, reflects none of this, and is only somewhat functionable in my opinion with high-end machines. I just got done with harvest and planting and need data from somehwere to get the ball rolling again in the right direction. This might also be informative to other 3DSG users trying to make large/complex games. This is more for developers than it is for The kID game, because there is little reason for me to release the the game at this beta stage other to explain to the 3DGS communities the current issues we are facing.

Let me go ahead and list the main ones from my department, which is programming. These are issues you will see in Beta 0.7. This will only make sense to advanced users by the way.

1) We have an all-model level (Fuxer's request for certain reasons). It is very large, and is not broken down yet into smaller segments, so the initial loading time of all these models the first time the game is played (after it is cached and played again it is not as bad) is very bad, depending on the system, it could take up to 3 minutes, stuck on the GM Soft presents splashscreen. The only level geomtery in the level is a box to surrounds it so 3DGS physics will work correctly.
2) D3d lighting on horizontal sufaces (i.e. the ground) with an all-model is not working very well. What it does is it will illumanate, for instance, one model segment of the pavement, and the when the player moves forward, it does not smoothly transition from one pavement model to the next. Instead, it will illuminate the closest pavement model and then suddenly skip to the next. This is only an issue with horizontal surfaces of models, not vertical. In beta 0.7 I have a d3d spotlight working, but regardless, of whether it's a spotlight or dynamic lights postioned ahead of the player and above at a certain height, the results are always the same; the horizontal lighting on the all-model level with d3d lighting skips from one horizontal surface to the next. It is not fluent. We are attempting to correct this with a shader spotlight, but for developers, I thought this might be of interest. This however, should not be a problem on level geometry, but only on models. I am not sure if this is specific to direct-x or 3dgs at this time.
3) The next problem relates to using d3d clipping and models. This again I am not sure is specific to 3dgs or d3d. With level geometry when using d3d clipping it uses polygon clipping, but when using models it uses origin clipping. Yeah, like that makes sense, right? First let me explain clipping, this is where you set a range and and anything outside that range is not rendered by the engine, thus saving FPS. With level geometry any polygon outside that range is not rendered, but with models it gets trickier, it based on origin, or center position of the model. I will try to explain this. Let's say you have a large building model that is 2200 quants in lenght, you have d3d clipping set for 1000, now when the player approcahes the building and is only 300 quants from the edge of the building, it is still being clipped by the engine. Why? Because with models the engine or d3d, whichever, clips from the origin. So even though you are 300 quants from the edge of the model building, the building is 2200 quants in length, so the center(origin) is 1/2 that which is 1100 quants, then you add the diatnce from the length edge, whic is 1100 + 300 = 1400 quants, so even though you are only 300 quants from the building, the engine is using the center of the building model, which is 1400 quants and clips the building, not rendering it. So you either need to make your model buildings small, break it into seperate model segments, or do clipping manually. Yeah, that problem.
4) I have struggled immensely to keep the FPS up on this sucker, but am barely hanging on. I will have to go back through everything and try to get it back up. I spent a month alone on the particle fog trying to get it where it wouldn't drag this already stressed-out program down to unplayable FPS.
5) Having the view of 3dgs cameras not be blocked by objects seems to always be hard to do. Though it shouldn't happen to much in this beta.
6) For developers I will rant on another day with issues on a game of this scale doing things out-side the box.
7) For interested people with decent machines, video cards, and high speed accesss....

Warning: This beta will make low-end machines cry and beg for mercy

Here's the key commands:

Movement:
WASD /Cursor Keys - Moves player
Shift - Run

Camera:
Q (hold) - Force camera to front
E (hold) - Force camera to back

Battle:
mouse_middle (click)/alt - Scroll through targets in range.

Pipe:
mouse_right - Attack
Pistol:
mouse_left (hold) - Aim
mouse_right - Fire Pistol

Inventory:
I - open/close inventory
cursor_up/cursor_down - Nagivate through inventory buttons
cursor_left/cursor_right - Rotate to next item/weapon
enter - Activate selected button
backspace - back to main inventory menu

Other Keys:
esc:
During SplashScreen - Goes to Main Menu
During Main Menu or Game - Start credits
During Credits - Ends game
enter - During Kid Splash will skip to Main Menu
0 - Restore Player to full health. Testing only.
F1 - FPS/debug
F6 - Screen Shot

Hmmm.. Pistol is auto-aim if target within range and holding mouse-left, if no target holdin mouse-left and aim with mouse. There are 2 inside rooms, one by gas station and one by hospital. I think I forgot to add my favorite song into beta 0.7 in the inside room by the hospital, oops, it will be in the demo which will definately be the next release which will be much-much different from this.

Oh, and this beta is around 130mb methinks and it's a .rar not .zip.

After 2 months of harvest you can tell me it's the worst beta you ever played and I will say, "yup".

The truth is, we have spent a lot of time on this game, and we have a ton of work to do yet to make it playable. Take that for what's it's worth.

Beta v0.7

Loco

Professional A8.30
Re: The kID [Re: Locoweed] #192904
07/02/05 09:48
07/02/05 09:48

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have downloaded it but it says its only 13.3kb, then when extracted I'm getting errors.
--Tom

Re: The kID [Re: ] #192905
07/02/05 10:47
07/02/05 10:47
Oz
L
Locoweed Offline
Expert
Locoweed  Offline
Expert
L

Oz
Hi Tom_02345,

I am not having that problem after I checked. If you try again and get the same error, I will see if I can get a mirror somehere.
I will upload a zip tonight also. Actually I did get anerror once, I will start and .zip upload onight and possible replce the.rar and let you know if I still ever get an error message.

Loco

Last edited by Locoweed; 07/02/05 11:02.

Professional A8.30
Re: The kID [Re: Locoweed] #192906
07/02/05 11:02
07/02/05 11:02

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have checked again, same thing happens.
--Tom

Page 26 of 32 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 31 32

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de