by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,103 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Timez Attack--Free copy #194564
05/24/05 09:26
05/24/05 09:26
BigBrainz Offline OP
Timez Attack--Free copy

Timez Attack is finally live!! It's an educational game that teaches kids times tables. That's it--but it does it extremely well. I love the great comments you all offer, so I'd like to offer you a free copy of the game in return.

Just go to www.bigbrainz.com and proceed as though you're going to buy the more expensive version "Timez Attack: Multiplied." During checkout, enter this code in the coupon box: "betatester". That will let you download the game for free. I would love to hear your thoughts and suggestions. (I'm keeping the instructions about that part of the process as brief as possible, because I'd like to hear back from you whether any part of the process is not intuitive).

I REALLY hope you don't find any bugs, but better to have you folks find it than a customer, eh? We've tested them on all the boxes we can find around here, but I'm sure some of you savvy folks will find some great ideas for making it even better. Anyway, I'm very very sleepy now, so I'm going to bed .
35 Comments
Re: Timez Attack--Free copy [Re: Blattsalat] #194584
05/30/05 17:33
05/30/05 17:33
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Congratulations for your great looking game! Very well made textures and rooms! I liked especially the sifi-level, its variaty of textures and ideas impressed me most!

Some critical feet back: The "enemies" should have a more impressing "death", for instance hitting the ground with thunder and jitter, and removing them with some particle effects like lightning and/or dust. You removed them as if you didn't want to waste the gamer's time, but the "death" of an enemy and at least a boss enemy belongs to the gifts and awards at the end of a battle.

The models are all great, exept the flying dragons/imps, they look a bit too peaked/cornered especially in their front view.

Wish you and your game success, and hope to hear from time to time how good
it is selling!

Re: Timez Attack--Free copy [Re: Pappenheimer] #194585
05/30/05 20:15
05/30/05 20:15
J
Jamie_Lynn Offline
Senior Developer
Jamie_Lynn  Offline
Senior Developer
J

Best of luck. This game does good great. Keep us posted on how it sells. (I'm very interested).

Re: Timez Attack--Free copy [Re: Jamie_Lynn] #194586
05/31/05 12:01
05/31/05 12:01
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline
Expert
A.Russell  Offline
Expert
A

Japan
Really good work. You've turned one of the most boring things in the world for kids, multiplication drills, and made it something they would actually want to do.

I liked the way you introduced the equations, gave the answer and some controlled practice before getting them to review the previous equation and drill the new one at each stage, until the final battle when it all came together. You effectively merged common game play progression with typical teaching methodology.

The levels were simple and attractive, with new elements added at each stage to keep it interesting to see what was going to come next. I especially liked your turning platforms. How did you get the model to stay on them?

A couple of bugs. The camera goes through walls in places. This is hard and some AAA titles have the same problem. It wasn't too bad though, I was trying to make it happen. Also, Once a spider jumped over the rail (I think I accidentally kicked it) and it went walking around in space where I couldn't get to it.

I would have liked to have seen more different monsters on each level. I know there is a budget for time and money, but if you can get more of either, then it would be nice.

My last crit, when the escape key is pressed, you could add the option to save the game.

Anyway, great game, very professionally executed, and I hope it does well.

Last edited by A.Russell; 05/31/05 12:03.
Re: Timez Attack--Free copy [Re: Pappenheimer] #194587
06/01/05 23:58
06/01/05 23:58
BigBrainz Offline OP
BigBrainz  Offline OP

Pappenheimer, I love the suggestion to make the boss deaths cooler. Looking back, I realize that originally I never wanted the bosses to simply vanish. I wanted them to always just leave somehow--so that the whole world felt more substantial.

But now I realize that I gave up on that long ago--but never took advantage of the opportunity to make the evaporation-deaths more interesting. As soon as we get some time

Re: Timez Attack--Free copy [Re: A.Russell] #194588
06/02/05 00:07
06/02/05 00:07
BigBrainz Offline OP
BigBrainz  Offline OP

Alex,

Hey, I'm glad you liked it--and thank you very much for your detailed, clear feedback. Getting the player to stay on the rotator is based on the template's platform code. Basically, the player's always scanning below him and if the "you" entity registers as a lift then it adds the lifts transformation to his own. (That means that if he happens to bump into another entity during his movement he'd fall off ). On the big, rotating lifts, the rounding errors actually pull him towards the center and make some jittering, but not too bad.

Yes, I'd like a slightly better camera, but haven't ever been able to find one better than the template camera. If anyone knows of one, please let me know!

As for spiders going over the rail, I've just never been able to get them perfect. Newton let me use their physics engine (because it's still better than the built-in stuff in Pro), but it's still not quite perfect and creatures still fly away or shoot through walls sometimes. Oh well.

I totally agree that more monsters would be better--they just take so much time to design, model, texture, animate, and integrate.

I toyed with letting the player have control over save points, but decided against it for now. For one, I'm not confident enough in my coding to believe that saving a game at any point would allow for a correct restart, but I also figured it's good for the kids to go ahead and finish what they're working on--or just re-do it when they start up again. Maybe I should give them the option though.

Thanks again!

Last edited by BigBrainz; 06/02/05 15:18.
Re: Timez Attack--Free copy [Re: BigBrainz] #194589
06/02/05 13:46
06/02/05 13:46
Japan
A
A.Russell Offline
Expert
A.Russell  Offline
Expert
A

Japan
Quote:

As for spiders going over the rail, I've just never been able to get them perfect. Newton let me use their physics engine (because it's still better than the built-in stuff in Pro), but it's still not quite perfect and creatures still fly away or shoot through walls sometimes. Oh well.

Just check their position co-ordinates and turn off the physics and morph them into spiders if they go outside a certain rage.

Code:

while(vec_dist(my.x,centre_of_area_in_front_of_door) < 200 || time_to_bounce_is_up()) //while the physics objects are within 200 quants of a spot in front of the door
{
bounce_around();
}
morph_me_into_a_spider();

Quote:

I'm not confident enough in my coding to believe that saving a game at any point would allow for a correct restart

I've had a few issues with strings and especially physics with the load/save system, however it is pretty good. You have to watch your var_nsaves and it won7t be able to save your Newton physics objects, but otherwise it is fairly straight forward. The load/save feature in 3dgs is very handy, and something not a lot of other engines have.

I'm wondering, are you getting any negative feedback about the violence in your game? I know it sounds silly, but you'd be surprised what some concerned parents worry about. I started a poll on another forum about this, take a look: http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11833

Re: Timez Attack--Free copy [Re: A.Russell] #194590
06/09/05 17:12
06/09/05 17:12
BigBrainz Offline OP
BigBrainz  Offline OP

I wasn't able to log in to that thread about violence in games, what were they saying?

No, I haven't had an ounce of complaint. We were very careful to keep all our action as friendly as possible--although I'm sure there will be a parent somewhere who will complain. But you can find someone who will complain about anything I guess.

Re: Timez Attack--Free copy [Re: BigBrainz] #194591
06/09/05 19:18
06/09/05 19:18
N
Neuro Offline
Serious User
Neuro  Offline
Serious User
N

And then there are those who complain about not having enough violence...

The Wii Effect - a look at Nintendo's epidemic
Re: Timez Attack--Free copy [Re: Neuro] #194592
06/09/05 19:32
06/09/05 19:32
Glasgow, Scotland
Lost Offline
Lost  Offline

Glasgow, Scotland
I downloaded and tested. There were a few problems with the doors, you could get trapped between them but they opened afterwards so that was fine.

I got my little brother to play it, he kept getting quite excited jumping out of his seat to beat down the baddies. Lol it was funny watching him against the bosses because he got so carried away he couldn't remember the answers.

Just to make you smile for the rest of the day, he said "They should put this in schools rather than the rubbish ones we have".

Lost Games WIP - Nysho and the Attack of the Boons Rise up and flame me like the prepubescent man you outa be son!
Re: Timez Attack--Free copy [Re: Lost] #194593
06/09/05 20:26
06/09/05 20:26
BigBrainz Offline OP
BigBrainz  Offline OP

Quote:

They should put this in schools rather than the rubbish ones we have

I'll have to put that on our quotes page.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de