by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (ozgur, TipmyPip, AndrewAMD), 1,209 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 2
Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Inestical] #200262
04/03/08 10:02
04/03/08 10:02
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
Well before critiquing the demo too much , Lets all load our included gamestudio demo , then see the video of the demo again , so we can compare. LOL.
I'm not saying the vide is the ultimate thing i've seen , I would say for now Crysis is the winner in that category , it definately looks incredibly nice , As if it can be done with gamestudio , yes , it can , we all know it can (or at least pretty close), the biggest problem i have with gamestudio and shaders is the lack of fallbacks and such , where if you get a shader from the wiki , and build ur level with it , it might not work on the next guy's computer , and fixing that requires a lot of programming that general users like myself arent really familiar with. It was the same problem with Sphere , it was a beautifull plugin , and really made gamestudio look like a next gen engine , but in the end it became unusable because of it's lack of support for wide range of video cards , it's many bugs , and lack of fallbacks. I'm not saying gamestudio is too behind as an engine , but as a tool , specially as a tool geared for the non programmers (i.e. the artists and hobyists) , still , I do believe that making a level like the one in the video is possible , the question is how much extra work it would involve to put it together with gamestudio than with torque , as from what I see torque has a much more robust and userfriendly shader system than gamestudio , with a very nice fallback system so your shaders are backwards compatible all the way down to shader model 1 , which was the point of my post.

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #200267
04/03/08 10:26
04/03/08 10:26
Aue, Sachsen, Germany
W
Wicht Offline OP
User
Wicht  Offline OP
User
W

Aue, Sachsen, Germany

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #200270
04/03/08 10:32
04/03/08 10:32
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
 Originally Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die
Well before critiquing the demo too much , Lets all load our included gamestudio demo , then see the video of the demo again , so we can compare. LOL.
I'm not saying the vide is the ultimate thing i've seen , I would say for now Crysis is the winner in that category , it definately looks incredibly nice , As if it can be done with gamestudio , yes , it can , we all know it can (or at least pretty close), the biggest problem i have with gamestudio and shaders is the lack of fallbacks and such , where if you get a shader from the wiki , and build ur level with it , it might not work on the next guy's computer ...

and crysis does? well, i think not. those are games you need to by a new computer for, in most cases , at least if you want to play it fluidly

www.earthcontrol.de
quoted: We want to maintain a clean, decent, American family suited forum look... which means you may post zombies or chainsaw massacres, but no erotic.
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: ello] #200272
04/03/08 10:40
04/03/08 10:40
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

I don't think that the shaders are the problem of the Crysis performance issues. Crysis needs a multi-core processor for all the scene-management, AI, physics and similar stuff. I am sure they have good shader setup with fall-backs like TGEA has.

The system of procedurally generated shaders is also very good. In TGEA you can add in your material a normal-map texture and it automatically genereates the needed shader code for it. If you add a spec map another part of code gets attached.

Other tools like Gamecore use tons of conditional statements in a multi-purpose shader to reach the same goal. There is much more possible with shaders than we see in our Wiki.

This kind of shader code, material code and application of shadows is a proof of good programming other than Inestical said in his last post.
In the TGEA editor you can place any polygonal model and press the re-light-button to get new static shadows. This is good programming as well.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Machinery_Frank] #200292
04/03/08 12:55
04/03/08 12:55
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Quote:
I agree with you (fogman, William and more) if you say: "It can be done in A7". I know that. I know about plugins like Sphere, Ventilators tool and more. I know about custom shaders more or less useful.
But this is not my point. With the same amount of coding you can integrate all that into Irrlicht, Ogre, TV3D or C4. You could even make it with notepad, OpenGL and a free compiler.

This really shows what your real problem is... If you own A7 commercial or pro you don't really need Sphere anymore, in fact it won't work. Ventilators tool is awesome indeed, but only if you know how to properly use it, same goes for the whole A7 engine. It's not Torque and it's not Beyond Virtual.

Quote:
Many of them are even free.

But the ones that would fit into a 'next gen' demo as you would like to see are never free.

Quote:

Other tools like Gamecore use tons of conditional statements in a multi-purpose shader to reach the same goal. There is much more possible with shaders than we see in our Wiki.

Which is mainly why a lot of us say that these kind of demos would theoretically be possible with A7 too.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: PHeMoX] #200293
04/03/08 13:09
04/03/08 13:09
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
This really shows what your real problem is... If you own A7 commercial or pro you don't really need Sphere anymore

Then show me a level with parallax-mapping plus real-time soft-shadowing. Sphere was able to render this a few years ago. I did not see such a project from you, from Conitec or anybody else.

Quote:
...but only if you know how to properly use it, same goes for the whole A7 engine.

So you say that all users of this engine don't properly use it? Otherwise we would see similar project like we can see on other engine forums.
I visit them all often when I do announcements. The world is not standing still.

Quote:
But the ones that would fit into a 'next gen' demo as you would like to see are never free.

Ok, I understand. You will not create it. So you don't have to find more excuses.
If it really would be possible then somebody would have made it for the last "create something good-looking" contest. The best of the best did not make it. So I understand your situation ;\)

Quote:
Which is mainly why a lot of us say that these kind of demos would theoretically be possible with A7 too.

And this little word "theoretically" is the point. There is no proof. Are all A7 users dumb or lazy? I don't think so. So there must be another reason for it.

I offered my help and my contents even for free to many users. I offered Slin (an experienced shader coder) complete model packs to make a few scenes.
I contributed textures, models and levels to some other projects.

But still I achieve something better in shorter time in other free tools like IrrEdit, C4 or in the demo version of TGEA as you can see at our Dexsoft page.

I would use A7 render images for advertising if they would be superior. I am no fanboy, I use what works best for me.

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Machinery_Frank] #200295
04/03/08 13:13
04/03/08 13:13
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
About the video:
it looks all nice but they just show very little. If the level really is big, why don´t they show those parts?

Gamestudio gave me a great introduction into gamedevelopement and that is what I really like it for. It is very easy to use in the beginning and gets harder when you want to do more than template stuff but stays always doable.
Lite-C is a really small change for beginners but opens a lot of possibilities for more advanced users and I really like it for that.

Why_Do_I_Die, why do ou say that hobbyists want to create levels and models? I think most users here are wether beginners or people that like to write some nice scripts and sure some others but I think that those are a minority and are already using other engines. I have a lot of fun to create codes to improve the visuals at the moment and I just don´t want to have an engine that already has all that usable through a few sliders \:\)

This thread is already off topic now so I´ll go on with that ;\)
I would try to create a similar scene with gamestudio if there are people contributing the models for it (I don´t have the money to buy them) and someone who wants to do the leveldesign.
I would do the Lite-C and the shaderpart. If there really is some interest in this, I would start to build up the base and then have the leveldesigner bulding the level and telling me what he needs. I would like to leave the design part completely up to the leveldesigner and it would only get a graphicsdemo for now.
I could also combine shaders with lightmaps using another uv-set but am not able to create the lightmap and such. Other than that I would stick to stencilshadows (maybe with a little blur...).

The whole thing could at least end in some nice shaders for the wiki ;\) and hopefully a level with great graphics.

Would you contribute artwork for this?
single choice
Yes
64%, 7 Votes
No
36%, 4 Votes
Total Votes: 11
Voting on this poll ends: 0 seconds ago
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: PHeMoX] #200296
04/03/08 13:15
04/03/08 13:15
Germany
F
fogman Offline
Expert
fogman  Offline
Expert
F

Germany
Phemox: If you would simply start then you´ll get enough artwork from Frank.
He has made an offer and he won´t disappoint you.
To say it with HeelX: "Seriously".

But I´ve to say that DavidLancasters work has the same or even more potential as this demo.
Regardless if it´s done with Notepad or Unreal. ;\)

no science involved
Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: fogman] #200297
04/03/08 13:19
04/03/08 13:19
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Hey Slin, you know that I offered you help and model-packs. We talked about it once.
Maybe you and fogman should work togehter on a project ;\)

Re: "Gears of Torque" TGEA demo [Re: Machinery_Frank] #200298
04/03/08 13:25
04/03/08 13:25
Germany
F
fogman Offline
Expert
fogman  Offline
Expert
F

Germany
... ;\)

no science involved
Page 6 of 20 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 19 20

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de