by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, Quad, M_D), 1,217 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Shall we keep user ratings? [Re: PHeMoX] #200834
04/05/08 19:32
04/05/08 19:32
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
I love the preview feature but really want green guy back (green laugh icon, R.I.P).

Re: Shall we keep user ratings? [Re: PHeMoX] #200837
04/05/08 19:44
04/05/08 19:44
broozar Offline
Expert
broozar  Offline
Expert

@phemox:
yeah, it's a great commuity where it has become habit to bash the most skilled users. you bash frank. matt_aufderheide, the creator of sphere, has been bashed and teased for a greenish sandy beach, he left. DanSilverman returned once, and was kicked out, as if you (not you personally, users who know what i mean may become red at this moment) were more experienced or anything better. Xexes went away, not only because of the engine. i could continue this. there is only one constant: the users who post the most, create the less, have the biggest mouth, stay and keep it going this way.

i had several bad things typed in this box, but decided to delete them, as i am not willing to attack someone personally. i just pity you. you and your lost blinded user and MOD fellas.

Re: Shall we keep user ratings? [Re: broozar] #200851
04/05/08 21:07
04/05/08 21:07
Aue, Sachsen, Germany
W
Wicht Offline
User
Wicht  Offline
User
W

Aue, Sachsen, Germany
Shall we keep user ratings? No.

Why?

Most kids... sorry... most user like Phemox and Spirit down-rate other people because of antipathy (aversion). It has nothing to do with competence or incompetence.

I criticised GS and constituted my opinion. The consequence was one star.
Think about.

Re: Shall we keep user ratings? [Re: Wicht] #200853
04/05/08 21:19
04/05/08 21:19
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
You can't judge and compare reallife personalities with online ones Wicht.

It will be far clear noticeable when you tell a strong opinion against something than when you be the 'normal' user staying on the background. People will judge you immediately on obvious behaviour. In a forum, you can rate only once. If they notice you first being negative on things, they will rate on their first judgements, apparantly negative in your case. This is nothing different than in real life, where everyone will do the same.

If they get to know you further, and know what you are capable of, what you can bring to the community/society, they will see other sides of you and can judge you far better. Since you can't vote again on a forum, their opinion is settled even when they actually changed their mind about you.

This is the reason I do not vote for a rating system, but it does not mean people here act childish. It's a human habit.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: Shall we keep user ratings? [Re: Joozey] #200854
04/05/08 21:25
04/05/08 21:25
Aue, Sachsen, Germany
W
Wicht Offline
User
Wicht  Offline
User
W

Aue, Sachsen, Germany
Joozey... you got it. And this is the problem.

Re: Shall we keep user ratings? [Re: Wicht] #200858
04/05/08 21:51
04/05/08 21:51
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Wicht
Most kids... sorry... most user like Phemox and Spirit down-rate other people because of antipathy (aversion). It has nothing to do with competence or incompetence.

I criticised GS and constituted my opinion. The consequence was one star.
Think about.

First of all, and the admins can probably check this from ips and so on, it wasn't me rating you guys 1 stars. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if half of those simply were individual people thinking the same things about you two. You say we are 'kids', but for people above the age of what.. 30 or so, you two are behaving extremely immature.

I never rated someone out of antipathy, in fact I barely ever rated anyone.

@Broozar: I NEVER bashed anyone. I was one of the few that always stood up for XexeS, MattAufderheide and a couple of others that left, like Exciter. As for your comment about posting behavior and getting games done, take a nice big look at yourself. I've got a very busy student life, something that demands a lot of my time. Making games is a serious hobby of mine, but it's not something I do for a living. I hardly ever post WIP here for various reasons, in part because of people like Frank...

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Shall we keep user ratings? [Re: PHeMoX] #200862
04/05/08 22:28
04/05/08 22:28
Germany
Error014 Offline
Expert
Error014  Offline
Expert

Germany
Oh, I have a good idea for this forum!

How about, whenever there are four or more posts in a row with only Frank, Phemox and so on as authors, we replace all their posts with pictures from "My little pony" unless a moderator decides the posts are friendly, nice and completely free of bashing. Sure, it'd be a shame, because both of you often create amazing posts with great content or generous presents - but god, those other posts...

Man, that idea is awesome. You know, because I'm getting so tired of reading that. I mean, obviously, I wouldn't have to read it, but what if some EXCITING PIECE OF INFORMATION is hidden somewhere in there? So far, it often has, but it was unfortunately buried in personal attacks and comments that were pretty close to being classified as such. I don't know if this is maybe just a lack of skill in the english abilities (my lack of skills, to be exact here), but sometimes, posts seem unnecessarily rude. Sometimes, Phemox has those, sometimes, Frank has - for example, he doesn't even adress Phemox - who he is talking to - but is just making a general comment about him which always comes across as rude to me ("Sorry guys, he just is too stupid to see my point"). (Sorry, Frank. I don't know if you intend that this way, maybe its, as I've said, just my lack of abilities.) Note that I didn't intentionally chose Frank for ane xample, it'd probably be just as easy to find examples like these in PheMoxs (Argh, whatever letters need to be capitalized here) posts - although please understand that I didn't spend the five million billion years that would be necessary to analyze all your posts for this. It's just that some small things like these, where it isn't even clear if it was intended as an attack, spiral out of contral and end in a ugly battle of words, thats more or less super-pointless. And now, you both are always attacking each other, one eagerly awaiting the other to post something somehwere with even the slightest hint of a disagreement. I... doubt that this really happens, but it sometimes seems to me that this is the case.

It always takes two people for things like these to go out of control. Or three, four, five, I suppose but stop interrupting, I'm trying to make a point here. So, no finger pointing. But I suppose, if you think closely about it (maybe only when you're all alone by yourself in a dark room with plenty of time to think) you may agree that sometimes, didn't you use maybe words and phrases a little too agressive to get your point across? Yeah, it's fun and cool to be mean on the internet. But please, not in our beloved forum, which is praised for its great community. And still, we have all those threads ending with people ripping each other apart. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for good, educated, moderated discussions, and I'm not going to stop anyone from voicing their opinion that acknex/torque/ANYTHING is awesome and/or sucks, and often, the discussion actually revolves around this issue, with technical details and experiences thrown around - fantastic! But then, there are those threads that end in those horribly bad battles, so that the pages >20 only hold very little information. Isn't that sad? (rhetorical question, you see)

Let's just bring together happiness, shall we?

You know... back when I was more active here... I don't remember it clearly anymore, its been a while, but back then, whenever I had to make a reply, I'd first have to walk miles to the Conitec tower and hand in my reply, written in blood (no ink avaible). Of course, all this happened barefoot, in the snow. So next time, when you see something you don't agree on, remember those former, simpler times. Would you use your own blood to write a reply, which you'd then have to deliver by walking through the snow? Barefoot? WOULD YOU?!

Thats an amazing analogy, but it leads to lazyness. So use it carefully.

Oh, uhm. User Ratings. Right. Err, I think I didn't vote, but I lean more towards "not needed". I always had four stars, so I always was "mr. average". I couldn't join in with those five-star-superstars, and neither with the "one-star-who-cares"-guys (who were the cooler ones, to be honest). And hey, four stars for someone like me? So yeah. I don't mind the ratings, I don't love them to death, either.

Also, I would like the green grin-smiley back (yes, I've seen the thread for this very endeavour).

EDIT: Also, where is "Who's online"? I want to know who reads my posts. AT ANY GIVEN MOMENT.

Last edited by Error014; 04/05/08 22:50. Reason: I wanted to inquire about the possibility of the feature "Who's online" being lost in the process of updating the forum.

Perhaps this post will get me points for originality at least.

Check out Dungeon Deities! It's amazing and will make you happy, successful and almost certainly more attractive! It might be true!
Re: Shall we keep user ratings? [Re: Error014] #200865
04/05/08 22:48
04/05/08 22:48
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Error014
How about, whenever there are four or more posts in a row with only Frank, Phemox and so on as authors, we replace all their posts with pictures from "My little pony" unless a moderator decides the posts are friendly, nice and completely free of bashing. Sure, it'd be a shame, because both of you often create amazing posts with great content or generous presents - but god, those other posts...

I like that idea.

Quote:
And now, you both are always attacking each other, one eagerly awaiting the other to post something somehwere with even the slightest hint of a disagreement.

Well, I'm not eagerly waiting for anyone to spread lies about me, so no that's probably the result of these silly discussions being this 'present'. I'm sure Frank wouldn't believe me just for the sake of it, but I actually like the guy, at the same time I often pity him too though. It has nothing to do with disagreement, it has everything to do with overreaction. Perhaps on both sides, but I think my comments are usually pretty reasonable.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Shall we keep user ratings? [Re: PHeMoX] #200873
04/05/08 23:25
04/05/08 23:25
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
well we all know why error014 had a good rating. detailed honest posts that can pass on criticism without insulting and even be subjective without thinking he's being objective.

no one ever expected the ratings to be skill based. they were "is this person a wanker (1 star), average (don't vote), or are his/her opinions an asset to the forum (5 stars)?"

* to prevent misinterpretation of my message, i'm not callling low-rated users anything of the sort. you can probably expect that that's the gist of what was running through anyone's mind when they rated someone.

of course i voted no. we don't need ratings.

julz

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Shall we keep user ratings? [Re: JibbSmart] #200919
04/06/08 05:59
04/06/08 05:59
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Error014: This is a great post and I take it seriously. I like your idea very much. I don't like to talk about personal issues in public so much. That is why I tried to settle things down via PM's in the past. Unfortunately Phemox (only as an example) ignored the PM's but replied to them in the public forum. This sometimes was a reason of such strange discussions.

I offered him more than once just to ignore him if he ignores me (via PM and in public posts). He told me that he will not do that, for reasons I don't understand.
So it became worth and worth.

But yes, I agree absolutely, such discussions don't belong here and I am very sorry to spend your and my time for such stupid nonsense. So I will not respond to Phemox in this thread and not in the "Just a test" thread from spirit as a proof that I want to stop this.

Regards,
Frank

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  old_bill, Tobias 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de