Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by 11honza11. 04/26/24 08:55
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/26/24 08:32
MT5 bridge not working on MT5 v. 5 build 4160
by EternallyCurious. 04/25/24 20:49
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by EternallyCurious. 04/25/24 10:20
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/24/24 20:04
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
Scripts not found
by juergen_wue. 04/20/24 18:51
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/20/24 10:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, VoroneTZ, Quad, 1 invisible), 837 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #201746
04/10/08 21:19
04/10/08 21:19
Germany
T
Toast Offline
Serious User
Toast  Offline
Serious User
T

Germany
 Quote:
Well the problem arises when you realise that scientists actually DON'T know what they are doing , for if they did , they wouldnt need to conduct the experiments.

Well actually the experiment is done to get a clue on that. It also isn't some kind of "well let's do this and that and look what will happen" (because you wouldn't get 6 billions for that ;\) ) but it's about creating a theory you can somewhat proof (at least when it comes to maths and hints form other known factors) and then do a prediction. If you're lucky you one day may see an actual experiment where you have your prediction for and look if the supposed event is going to happen...

Concerning the panicing this reminds me of that TU24 meteor which passed us in January or something. There were quite some funny predictions saying that like in the tunguska event there will be total havoc and giant emp storms around the world killing all the computers and grand scale destruction. Here you have a nice video about it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=1_Y6L9-VmK8&feature=related#

And maybe also look at this good "Anti-thesis": http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y6fXpfE_D20

In fact I see no difference between this and the LHC story. Someone takes the facts of what's going to happen and totally exaggerates it and adds nonsense arguments. At least I have seen no argumentation which says here at this point of the calculation they made a mistake because [bla bla bla]. You just hear someone picking up the description of the procedure and adds in a drama-drama what if theory without giving any arguments at all. Wormholes, Black-Holes and such are nice terms but if you really wan't to argue about them you should have a bit more than Star-Trek niveau where you throw around some fancy words but give no in-depth details. Especially of someone believes that omg they are going to let the earth being sucked by a black hole I'd do everything to make my position and arguments clear...

Unfortunately that's not more than a list of hearsaying and someone adding in a lot of drama but no single real argument...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #201749
04/10/08 21:55
04/10/08 21:55
Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
Nardulus Offline
Serious User
Nardulus  Offline
Serious User

Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
The only thing getting sucked into a black hole is the six billion dollars wasted on this folly....

Ken

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Nardulus] #201750
04/10/08 22:14
04/10/08 22:14
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Nardulus
The only thing getting sucked into a black hole is the six billion dollars wasted on this folly....
Countries over the whole world pay a share to CERN. CERN is not only searching for this last missing boson (HIGGS boson), they also search for new ways of making energy, and I'm sure they do lots more. This 6 billion dollars divided over a large amount of countries over the world isn't that much, definately not if you imagine that projects in CERN may bring solutions to the big problems we will inevitably face in the future.

And I know you mostly said it as a joke, I just wanted to make a point here for no reason :P.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #201753
04/10/08 22:41
04/10/08 22:41
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die
Well the problem arises when you realise that scientists actually DON'T know what they are doing , for if they did , they wouldnt need to conduct the experiments. One of our big flaws is blindly believing they know everything.

I said they know what they are doing. I did not say they know everything, nobody knows everything. Science ís gaining knowledge by experiments and that's exactly what they do.

Quote:
they originated sometime from somewhere , we dont know how black holes behave , in fact , black holes were only accepted as being abundant some years ago

I could be wrong, but it's an accepted theory... I'm not quite sure but I don't think it has been proven yet that black holes even exist....

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #201774
04/11/08 04:55
04/11/08 04:55
EUROPE
maslone1 Offline
maslone1  Offline

EUROPE
Ok- lets calculate some easy stuff:

The gravity of a "dead" planet .... must have 6000000000000000000000 tons multiplied by 330000 tons.
Now we take einsteins "ABC"
E=m*c² (energie = mass * lightspeed²)
The Energie to create a "black" hole (its not a hole in real) must be 1,4 * (600000000000000000000 tons * 330000 tons)²
So the Energie that Quadron have to "create" minimum must be:
E= 1,4 * (6000000000000000000000 tons * 330000 tons) * 299792458 m/s²
\:\) I think we dont have a reactor or generator that can "create" this energie ;\)
We have to burn our sun our planet the moon, our saturn, and so on, to have "enouth" energy to create a black hole. And there are some more thinks about black holes. There are black energy and black matter and so on...
and at the end we know, that we dont know anything.
Oh... i have calculate the energie -> E = 2,491349355^44 tons*m/s²

And there is some more to know: some scientist say:
everywhere and every time (on our planet and in space) exists "mini" black holes.
You know, in our space are many little matter's with an unbelievable speed. And somthimes they crash with an other matter. And for a short time exists a little black hole \:\)

Last edited by maslone1; 04/11/08 05:07.

A8c, Blender, FlStudio, Unity3d
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #201778
04/11/08 05:47
04/11/08 05:47
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
 Quote:
Well the problem arises when you realise that scientists actually DON'T know what they are doing , for if they did , they wouldnt need to conduct the experiments."

Whaaat? Ummm excuse me but it's because a scientist knows exactly how little they know that they do experiements.

Quote:
One of our big flaws is blindly believing they know everything.

Which is exactly a flaw that most scientist don't share. If we did know everything, THEN there would be no need for experiments!

Quote:
we have no idea what causes gravity , can you believe that , they just dont know

Damn! Newton, Einstein, and my own two feet are liars, liars I tell you! We do know what causes gravity: mass. Plain and simple. Come Einstein, and now energy can cause it. What more do you want? Mass and Energy cause gravity. There. One step closer to knowing everything!

Quote:
i've looked into their "theories" , and most are not much more than observations

A fellow researcher! Fantastic! Nothing I hate more than a person that makes observations about a field they have not had any training or put any serious (ie: multi hour) thought into it. Phew... thank god you aren't one of "those"!

Quote:
They are looking for the boson higgs , a theoretical particle which plays some role in creation of mass , this particle was thought up , to make their model fit more properly, however , there is ZERO evidence of it's existance , which is the main purpose of this big experiment

Am I the only one to whom this makes sense? I don't know something, there is no evidence for it, so I go seek it out? Maybe it's just me then....

Quote:
in which more than likely they will find nothing.

ROFLMAO A great man once said:

Quote:
One of our big flaws is blindly believing they know everything.[/

And they may well find nothing, but I assure you they will not walk away with nothing.

Quote:
we dont know how black holes behave

So we are ignorant as to whether BH behave or even exist... okday, no problem...

Quote:
But dont be fooled by what you read (yeah mini black holes just evaporate) LOL , there is no prove that happens , it could happen , but it could as well just grow.

Oh wait no, we are ignorant about BH, but this website isn't. Is that your point? Let me see if I get it:

1) No one understands anything about BH.
2) Thus when these things that may or may not exists may or may not occur on the LHC, nobody will be able to tell what they will do.
3) But these websites DO know what they will doand thus we shouldn't do it.
4) But the 10,000 physicist also know what they will do and thus we should.

What is a girl to do? LOL

Look, we either don't understand BH and thus non of us can legitimate say that the experiment shoulnd't go on... after all, you can't base your actions on things you don't fully understand, right? But on the one side you have 10,000 who claim that all is good and on the other 5,10, 100 people who are basically using the basic uncertainty of any experiment, of any action, to take the worst case scenerio. Sorry, but in this case I will go with the democracy (even if they are MY democracy)

(This post brought to you by Guinness, the un-official sponsor of this forum)

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: maslone1] #201780
04/11/08 05:49
04/11/08 05:49
Ä°stanbul, Turkey
Quad Online
Senior Expert
Quad  Online
Senior Expert

Ä°stanbul, Turkey
i said this some people already, but they rather want to believe they are gonna die instead of believing what maslone1 said.

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Quad] #201790
04/11/08 07:55
04/11/08 07:55
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline OP
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline OP
Warned

U.S.
I didnt say a black hole would be created , this was stated by other physisists questioning the safety of the experiment. I'm all for experiments and trying to find out a little more about or being , but not if it's potentially deadly to mankind. But I didnt come up with the theory of the black holes , Physisists did , and the people at Cern actually agree that mini black holes might be created as part of the experiment, this is from their mouths. And fastlane , no one knows what causes gravity , mass is just a theory , if you really research it , you will see that there are mixed views , and no one really knows for sure. The theory of relativity is just that , a theory , although a good one , which has stood many tests , it's still lacking in places , as the professor Higgs himself has stated " The standard model doesnt add up" , you see that fastlane , DOESNT ADD UP , again , from their mouths. Gravity is a problem for physisists because it's such a weak force in comparison to the others , it doesnt make sense , and they surely dont know what causes it , even mass , they dont know what causes mass , or it's gravity , and this they clearly state , maybe you need some more research fastlane.

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: maslone1] #201792
04/11/08 08:04
04/11/08 08:04
Cambridge
Joey Offline
Expert
Joey  Offline
Expert

Cambridge
 Originally Posted By: maslone1
Ok- lets calculate some easy stuff:

The gravity of a "dead" planet .... must have 6000000000000000000000 tons multiplied by 330000 tons.
Now we take einsteins "ABC"
E=m*c² (energie = mass * lightspeed²)
The Energie to create a "black" hole (its not a hole in real) must be 1,4 * (600000000000000000000 tons * 330000 tons)²
So the Energie that Quadron have to "create" minimum must be:
E= 1,4 * (6000000000000000000000 tons * 330000 tons) * 299792458 m/s²
\:\) I think we dont have a reactor or generator that can "create" this energie ;\)
We have to burn our sun our planet the moon, our saturn, and so on, to have "enouth" energy to create a black hole. And there are some more thinks about black holes. There are black energy and black matter and so on...
and at the end we know, that we dont know anything.
Oh... i have calculate the energie -> E = 2,491349355^44 tons*m/s²

yep, i have to agree, all your computations make sense to me. especially the numbers which seem to lose zeros on their way through your calculation. or the gravity which you give in square tons. where does that 1,4 without any measure come from? and even though you've given us einstein's formula correctly you now calculate the energy to create a black hole with 1,4 times the wrong gravity you calculated first hand multiplied with c? but not that you could type these few numbers correctly into your calculator, no. weird that your result is even smaller than the 6000... thingy you used above. let's burn our planet the moon.

and black energy or black matter do also start with "black" and thus must have to do something with black holes, you're correct here.

fastlane seems to be the only one with knowledge about physics or science in general in this thread (i'm sorry if i oversaw someone). no, i'm not saying that i knew everything, but i say that these scientists who invented these formulas and theories actually do know much better than you. even though these theories are... yeah, theories, they're not at all questionnable but have small faults which make them not fit to every situation. but they do explain stuff well in the environment which they are created for. nobody would doubt, that the speed of a car with acceleration a for time t is given via v=a*t. but even this formula is wrong for very high speeds. but you're trying to fool us with weird and incoherent drivel and all your scare stories... don't you have better things to do?

glad we've abandonned the rating system,
joey.

Last edited by Joey; 04/11/08 08:08. Reason: why_do_i_die added something
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Quad] #201794
04/11/08 08:12
04/11/08 08:12
T
testDummy Offline
Serious User
testDummy  Offline
Serious User
T

Quoting fastlane69.
 Quote:
Am I the only one to whom this makes sense? I don't know something, there is no evidence for it, so I go seek it out? Maybe it's just me then....

It's OK. You're probably not alone. I'm pretty sure that there are other bona fide card carrying madman walking in circles, chanting and making sense of 'business strategy', greed, envy, notoriety, ambition, games played by those that think and what not.
 Quote:
And they may well find nothing, but I assure you they will not walk away with nothing.

Ah yes, well some of us might not know the difference.

Quote:
Whaaat? Ummm excuse me but it's because a scientist knows exactly how little they know that they do experiements.

Are you playing a scientist which knows exactly how little you don't know about type scientist here?

Quote:
Mass and Energy cause gravity.

OK. How?

Quote:
So we are ignorant as to whether BH behave or even exist... okday, no problem...

Well, I've looked around, and it seems, here, on the right occasion, any sort of logic may do, so:
Either way, I'm tacking 'fault' to 'we' on that one, and no soul which exists, existed, will exist, did not and shall not ever exist, could have or can legitimately refute such reasoning, and that includes myself, because I said and say so

Quote:
Look, we either don't understand BH and thus non of us can legitimate say that the experiment shoulnd't go on...

Quoting Why_Do_I_Die (maybe it's how...)
 Quote:
This experiment has the potential to create a black hole that will swallow the earth and everything in it, why is this experiment being allowed to take place ?

For the same reason some individuals play the lottery?
Perhaps, there might be a few or more, which could claim that a good many other outcomes are probably less dark in nature, and suck less, by comparison.

more relevant questions here could be:
*What can be done to favor optimal earth -> 'black hole' contact for this event?
*How can we make this happen?
*Impossible? Think positive.
--Can we get this black hole earth swallowing gig done in such a short time?
--He11 yes, we can.
*Why is May the perfect month for 'black hole earth swallowing'?

Quoting Quadraxas.
 Quote:
i said this some people already, but they rather want to believe they are gonna die instead of believing what maslone1 said.

Perhaps, you can forgive them, if they cling to hope, blind or sugary as it may be.
Some of us were only 6-12 yrs of age, when we first had dreams of a full-scale, near instantaneous termination event.

Hopes of total sterilization on a planetary scale, or greater, have sparked us since childhood, and kept us burning ever since.
Worlds conclude, but hope, that is a different ma..., OK, well here, not so much.

Quoting fastlane69.
 Quote:
(This post brought to you by Guinness, the un-official sponsor of this forum)

Unfortunately, still the excuses for me, may be, insanity and stupidity.

Page 3 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 20 21

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite