Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
MT5 bridge not working on MT5 v. 5 build 4160
by EternallyCurious. 04/25/24 20:49
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by EternallyCurious. 04/25/24 10:20
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/24/24 20:04
M1 Oversampling
by Petra. 04/24/24 10:34
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
Scripts not found
by juergen_wue. 04/20/24 18:51
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/20/24 10:06
StartWeek not working as it should
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (EternallyCurious, AndrewAMD, TipmyPip, Quad), 902 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: PHeMoX] #203007
04/18/08 20:12
04/18/08 20:12
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
'How' is usually the more objective kind of 'why'?

" how ? " questions entail facts related answers, while answers to
" why ? " questions can be twisted by prejudices

Take for example astronomy

" The sun and the planets must turn round the earth because the universe has been created for us, their orbit must be a circle because it is perfect ..."

The direct consequence of " why ?" questions are " the ultimate end " , " the essence " , " the universalis " and similar junks which science has finally swept away

Last edited by AlbertoT; 04/18/08 20:14.
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: AlbertoT] #203162
04/20/08 03:41
04/20/08 03:41
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline OP
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline OP
Warned

U.S.
Science hasnt answered anything , ever , so how has it swept away anything ?
Science = New RELIGION
Why ?
Because it requires its "scientists" to believe in MANY theories which have NEVER been proven right , it requires it's members to exersice FAITH in science.
Here's the proof.
Science teaches evolution. Unproven , therefore it cannot be science, yet it's taught in schools and scientists believe in it.
How about the big bang ? Unproven. It's a theory(and fairly new at that). Yet scientists believe it and defend it , however , there is ZERO proof of it ever happenning , hense scientists "BELIEVE" it happened , but cant know as they havnt tested it.
Gravity ?
Electricity ? (can you believe they still dont really know what it is).

Science has transformed itself from science to religion , it used to be science , but now , they have taken it upon themselves to answer all of man's questions , where we came from , what we are , where we are , our purpose (no purpose , just evolved germs , really ?).
The problem is , science has ZERO PROOF of their theories answering this questions , they use a very clever method to get away from actually having to poof this things , they just say it all happenned in billions and billions of years , and it all happened by itself , somehow , from nothing , and for no purpose, yet it happened. Oh yeah , and they have no proof to back up their speculations , yet it's science and it's taught in school. Open your eyes , it's RELIGION , exept instead of teaching god created everything they teach the universe created itself , but they both require the exact same thing , "FAITH"

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #203168
04/20/08 05:09
04/20/08 05:09
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
 Quote:
Science hasnt answered anything , ever , so how has it swept away anything ?

Wrong and I can prove it.
What do you have in front of you? A computer.
Did that computer just "self assemble"? No. Science built it. Before it existed, there was only a THEORY that such a thing could be built. Now it is reality. Therefore Science has successfully answered the questions "can a computer be built".

Quote:
Because it requires its "scientists" to believe in MANY theories which have NEVER been proven right

That's an ignorant statement. Whenver someone uses the word NEVER, EVER, UNQUESTIONABLY, etc you just KNOW they don't know what they are talking about because here is no such thing as always or never. Scientist believe in ONE theory until that theory is proven wrong. When that theory is proven right over and over, it can be elevated to a law which means it can still be proven wrong, but chances are it never wil,

Quote:
Yet scientists believe it and defend it , however , there is ZERO proof of it ever happenning

That's another ignorant statement. I'll just say CMB, Hubble Expansion, Hubble Telescope, COBE, and leave it at that.

Quote:
Electricity ? (can you believe they still dont really know what it is).

Ignorant statement number 3. No I can't believe it because we know everything there is to know about electricity. QED's predictions have repeatedly been proven right to about 20 decimal places... how's that for proof!? \:\)

Quote:
The problem is , science has ZERO PROOF of their theories answering this questions

Take a rock. Take a stopwatch. Drop rock. Time fall. Now compare with a) Newton's law of gravitation or b) einsteins special relativity. You will have as much proof as you need. \:\)

Quote:
Open your eyes , it's RELIGION , exept instead of teaching god created everything they teach the universe created itself , but they both require the exact same thing , "FAITH

No arguement here. Religion has traditionally tried to tackle the physical world questions along with the spiritual. ONce the physical world was better understood, religion was no longer needed. So yea, Science has faith BUT BASED ON PROOF AND MALLABLE. That is to say science's faith has to be proven by experiment and it is liable to change... as a matter of fact we EXPECT it to change. This is radically unlike a religion which will not change it's fundamental axioms even in light of everwhelming evidence.

Because your style is to post but not reply, I won't wait for you to try to defend your position... after all you know it is a losing battle in the end. I therefore await your next paragraph or two of ignorance with anticipation! \:D

Last edited by fastlane69; 04/20/08 05:10.
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: fastlane69] #203182
04/20/08 08:15
04/20/08 08:15
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

well it was not my intention to start a new science vs religion discussion

I meant that humanity took thousand years to get rid of " Why ? " questions
It seems so obvious nowadays but it was not like that in the past

Even high educated and brilliant people could not but ask "why?" questions

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: AlbertoT] #203184
04/20/08 09:29
04/20/08 09:29
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline OP
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline OP
Warned

U.S.
"That is to say science's faith has to be proven by experiment and it is liable to change."
LOL
fastlane , you just answer things you've read in books or in science publications.

"That's another ignorant statement. I'll just say CMB, Hubble Expansion, Hubble Telescope, COBE, and leave it at that."
Can you tell me how that proofs the big bang ? Hubble proofs there's thousands and probably millions of galaxies , thats all it proves. How is that proof that all those galaxies were made from a little bean smaller than an atom that exploded billions of years ago ? Explain that. CMB , yes , the radiation , there is radiation in space , so scientists took it upon themselves to say it's the left over radiation of the big bang , LOL , really ? So it can also be radiation that exists in the universe and we hadn't founnd right ? Again , manipulating the facts and misleading the people. All that radiation proofs is there is radiation in space , why ? who knows , cause of the bean that exploded ? cause it's a natural phenomenom ? Cause it's part of the universe ? There can be a million explanations for it , but there is in fact ZERO evidence that it is left over from the big bang. COBE , now that one i'm not too familiar with , but i'll look into it.

"gnorant statement number 3. No I can't believe it because we know everything there is to know about electricity. QED's predictions have repeatedly been proven right to about 20 decimal places... how's that for proof!? \:\)"
Yes , we understand it , we use it every day , left and right , but , we dont actually know what it is, and thats a fact , proof me wrong if you can. Movement of electrons is the theory , but in truth they dont actually know , it's not a fact. And if you think that we know everything there is to know about electricity , LOL , then you should really do some more research on it , the fact is , we know very little about it , look into it , and not the science books , were you seem to get all your information from.

"So yea, Science has faith BUT BASED ON PROOF AND MALLABLE."
LOL
So you proof me right , it requires faith , based on proof ? I just proved how it's based on speculation.

I can see you dont fully understand my argument , so I will give you an example to help you see what I mean.

In the early times , we knew there was a sun , and a moon , and the stars , and believed the lord made them for us , thats what religion taught , we didnt know what they were , but we saw them and knew they were there, and believed god made them. Now , we still see the sun , moon , and stars , exept now , we understand more what they are , we know the sun is a star , we know the moon is a planet orbiting our earth (or satelite , to be correct) , and we know stars are suns , but now , scientists , tell us , that god didnt create them , they created themselves , from an explosion , of a tiny bean smaller than an atom (how this bean so small was so powerfull is out of my understanding) , and they teach this in school , and scientists actually believe it, but there is only one truth , WE DONT KNOW WHO OR WHAT CREATED THE UNIVERSE. Nobody knows, scientists DONT KNOW, understanding what we see more is one thing , but just LISTEN to the theory , they say it all created itself , and they say that because they have no idea how this immense and complicated place we call the universe exists , so they decided , well , i guess it just appeared out of nowhere. LMFAO , you have to be innocent to believe that. And if it hasnt been proven beyond a reasonable doubt , then it's not science, isnt that the purpose of science ? To not require faith , to be 100% proven fact.

The earth and everything in it is made of elements and atoms. FACT. It has been proven . Thats science.

Earth and all the elements that compose it spontanously created themselves after a bean exploded from nothing in the big bang. THEORY. It hasnt been proven , it's a theory trying to explain how everything came to be . Thats religion.

Last edited by Why_Do_I_Die; 04/20/08 09:39.
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #203193
04/20/08 10:16
04/20/08 10:16
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

[quote=Why_Do_I_Die
In the early times , we knew there was a sun , and a moon , and the stars , and believed the lord made them for us , thats what religion taught , we didnt know what they were , but we saw them and knew they were there, and believed god made them. Now , we still see the sun , moon , and stars , exept now , we understand more what they are ... [/quote]

...and they refuted the " solar stains " claiming that they were due to a defect of telescope
Since sun has been made by God it must be perfect, religion taught..

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: testDummy] #203259
04/20/08 19:01
04/20/08 19:01
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
you and we cannot be defined as it are abstract concepts.

for gods sake, get down form your high horse and look the reality for once.
you remind me of ullilillia, only far worse than him.

and I surely dont have a problem saying that to your face if you require it so just shut the hell up.

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #203272
04/20/08 20:08
04/20/08 20:08
T
testDummy Offline
Serious User
testDummy  Offline
Serious User
T

If target is user testDummy:
Quoting Michael_Schwarz.
 Quote:
so just shut the hell up

NO.

Otherwise, bait refused, for the time being.

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: testDummy] #203281
04/20/08 21:46
04/20/08 21:46
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
it goes to you, aswell as whydoidie.

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #203288
04/20/08 23:08
04/20/08 23:08
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
*pokes michael for fun*

Does anyone get excited by reading this?
http://lhc-milestones.web.cern.ch/LHC-Milestones/year2008-en.html

EDIT:
Reading all milestones of CERN on that website is very interesting. Pretty amazing how big the whole organisation is, and after imagening the size of the whole project (I mean, from concept to a huge scaled practical test), it's even more amazing how the whole LHC project is finished within only 14 years.

I'm suprised about our knowledge of civil engineering and logistics every time I read about megaprojects. The projects themselves are awesome for sure, but the way they are realized are at least just as awesome.

Last edited by Joozey; 04/20/08 23:31.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Page 7 of 21 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 20 21

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite