Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/20/24 10:06
StartWeek not working as it should
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:32
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:30
folder management functions
by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
lookback setting performance issue
by 7th_zorro. 04/16/24 03:08
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (7th_zorro, Aku_Aku, 1 invisible), 579 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #203420
04/21/08 22:56
04/21/08 22:56
Australia
A
adoado Offline

User
adoado  Offline

User
A

Australia
 Quote:
ALL OF THIS is the product of the scientists and their "right trying to make a living"

What else have these scientists done? Oh wait...

- research in advanced medicine
- computer technology (without them, I doubt this conversation would be going on right now..)
- Biology research (how humans and plants work, etc).

There is a huge list....
And - it was a good think we (humans) learned about atomic research, for nuclear power plants, etc..

Just my thoughts
Adoado

Visit our development blog: http://yellloh.com
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: adoado] #203422
04/21/08 23:33
04/21/08 23:33
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline OP
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline OP
Warned

U.S.
"- research in advanced medicine
- computer technology (without them, I doubt this conversation would be going on right now..)
- Biology research (how humans and plants work, etc)"

Yes , nuclear weapons far outweigh any of the good. You dont think so now , but wait till some fall close to where you live , i can assure you your mind would instantly change on the subject.

In any case , we all have the right to believe what we want , but you would have to be a fool to praise science , all it shows is the immense arrogance human beings have developed over the last century of technology , completely denying God , because we are too smart to believe he exists, we are so smart we have found out ourselves how it all happened , it all exploded from nothing . Yes , we are geniuses , we figured out the truth , everything appeard from an explosion from nothing. WOW , you all really believ this ? How powerfull would that bean smaller than an atom have had to be ? And , was that the only one ? Some say it all exploded from nothing , no bean , just nothing exploded , well , why hasnt it happened again in billions and billions and trillions and petrillions of years. Yes , i'm familiar with the way scientists disguice their inability to prove anything , they say it happened over quatrillions of petrillions of trillions of years. LOL.

Btw , to the guy saying I was religious , well , no I'm not , like I said in another post , if I've been to church more than once in my life it's too much. But I do believe in God , I have a brain , and see what the scientists say , and what the religions say , and I see myself , and people , and the world , and it doesnt really take a genious to understand there had to be someone behind out creation , everything just works out so perfect , you have to be a fool not to see that. But like I said, people grow more and more arrogant as time passes , thinking we have all the answers , and in the meantime , all that has been accomplished is the enslavement of mankind (are you going to argue this too ?).
Open your eyes , and understand the world you live in.

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #203427
04/22/08 00:02
04/22/08 00:02
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
 Quote:
it doesnt really take a genious to understand there had to be someone behind out creation

No. Sadly, it doesn't... ;\)

Quote:
Yes , nuclear weapons far outweigh any of the good. You dont think so now , but wait till some fall close to where you live , i can assure you your mind would instantly change on the subject.

How do you feel about computers? You like them? You use them? Right, now, how do you feel about computers falling, say on your house or head? Damn those scientists for creating such a deadly instrument, damn you dirty apes!!!

Thus a challenge to you: try to find one weapon that scientists have purportedly created that does not have a positive counterpoint. For example, nuclear energy is easy to dismiss in terms of energy production and radiation therapy; until WWII this was the exclusive line of research and to this day, remain strong fields in nuclear physics research.

Quote:
So as much good as science has done , it has done just as much bad, dont oversee it's darkside.

According to your own words, science is thus balanced and neither good nor evil, which is just how we like it. But I contend that it's better (or worse for why_do) than that: that scientists actually attach NO morality to their work and thus your labels of "good" and "bad" are your and society's labels and not scientific motivations.

Consider: If scientists are truly the bane of existence, then there has to be one pure representation of this, one pure weapon that has ZERO use outside of killing other human beings. There has to be some evidence that mainstream science (not some 5 or 10 year fad like spirituality or the aether) purposefully was working towards a massive means of destruction and evil; that scientists were untied under the banner of pain and misery and openly or secretly acknowledge that what motivates them is the pain, the glory, the fame, the women, the payoff, the job!!!! Right? Somewhere there has to be evidence of this if what you say is true, right?

My hypothesis is that you can't (or won't; same thing) and thus your latest thesis is wrong: scientists only create things; it's actually society, you, me, and everyone else, that actually uses what scientists create and assigns a morality to it. Again it's about why and how. A gamma ray is not evil; they happen all the time and are constantly falling on the earth. So how then does a gamma ray from Hiroshima become "evil"? Was it it's twin brother somehow? A whole bad side to teh Electro Magnetic family? None of course; it's evil because of the use that society put it to. It is not on the scientists my friend... it's on you and me and everyone else as members of a nationalistic world society right now.

BOTTOM-LINE CONCLUSIONS:
1) YOU ARE WRONG IN BELIEVEING THAT A BLACK HOLE CREATED AT THE LHC WILL DESTROY THE EARTH AND TIME WILL PROVE US RIGHT BY MERELY LIVING. This is unarguable since we merely have to wait to see what happens.

2) ASSUMING MY POINT 1 IS CORRECT AND WE LIVE, GIVEN THAT THE FUNDAMENTAL REASON YOU ARE WRONG IS THE SAME REASON YOU USE FOR YOUR OTHER ARGUEMENTS, I SUSPECT THAT AS MUCH AS 80% OF WHAT YOU SAY IS WRONG, IGNORANT, OR OTHERWISE MISINFORMED. This is arguable depending on why_do's further commitment to the forums. However, should he continue posting to Hilberts, then this prediction should come true with ~80% of his content being wrong. Again, no need to argue; time will tell if what happened on this thread (failure) will happen again.

3) THIS IS A MODEL YOU WILL HAVE TO GET USED TO WHY_DO: BEING PROVEN WRONG OVER TIME DUE TO EVIDENCE, DATA, AND EXPERIMENTATION. IT WILL HAPPEN AGAIN, I ASSURE YOU...no matter how hard you pray, if you continue to use a) common sense as a guide for understanding the physical universe b) the idea that the existence of god makes any difference to the physical universe and c) that scientific theories and methodology are a conspiracy of thought aimed at harming the human race, then point 2 above will be proven true vigorously and vehemently over and over gain... but time will tell.

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Xarthor] #203428
04/22/08 00:09
04/22/08 00:09
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
 Quote:
While my time at school I came across a very interesting philosophy, a science-philosophy.

That is interesting; I wasn't aware this was an actual school of thought. I'm going to have to follow up on it because what you say about "true until proven false" is very much how science works (and ironically, how the USA legal system is supposed to work!)

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: fastlane69] #203610
04/23/08 01:42
04/23/08 01:42
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Quote:
"true until proven false"

Science is much more relativistic than thinking in 'true' and 'false', they tend to use 'valid' and 'invalid' instead. Science is looking for truths of course, but you can't prove something to be true, only whether or not a theory is valid for the time being.

The school of thought you are talking about is one of pseudo-scientists, it's from the same nutters that thought of much of the 'What the bleep do we know' philosophy nonsense. (note: philosophy afaik isn't actually interested in figuring out 'truths' or validness of theories.)

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: PHeMoX] #203615
04/23/08 03:09
04/23/08 03:09
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Well if we reframe it as you say, then the theory is purporting "valid until proven invalid"... still works...

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: fastlane69] #203630
04/23/08 07:18
04/23/08 07:18
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
 Quote:

Science is much more relativistic than thinking in 'true' and 'false', they tend to use 'valid' and 'invalid' instead. Science is looking for truths of course, but you can't prove something to be true, only whether or not a theory is valid for the time being.

quoted: PHeMoX

You are right about that, and that is rather what I meant. Shouldn't have used the words "true" and "false", sorry for that.

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Xarthor] #203642
04/23/08 08:13
04/23/08 08:13
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline OP
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline OP
Warned

U.S.
You all shoud hear how u sound , u fat headed geeks.

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #203649
04/23/08 09:04
04/23/08 09:04
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
You should hear how you sound. You fat headed geek.

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #203654
04/23/08 09:41
04/23/08 09:41
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
Sure. If you run out of arguments just start throwing around with personal insults. (this was directed towards Why_Do_I_Die)

Well thanks anyway for the fun I had reading this topic.

Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite