Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by EternallyCurious. 04/18/24 10:45
StartWeek not working as it should
by Zheka. 04/18/24 10:11
folder management functions
by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
lookback setting performance issue
by 7th_zorro. 04/16/24 03:08
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/15/24 09:36
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:48
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 559 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin, rajesh7827
19046 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #203908
04/24/08 22:32
04/24/08 22:32
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Hey Micheal, don't encourage Why_do. Let him do his reasearch for himself, dig? \:\)

This accident did NOT cause a Black Hole... so why isn't the proof that the LHC is safe? ;\) After all, if during abnorma, extreme situations nothing goes bad, what evidence do you present that when it works right it WILL go bad??

Furthermore, if it is your contention that this accident will lead to a Black Holes or the End of the Earth:
You need a causal connection here not just "because there is an accident at point "a" then we can say that we will have black holes at point "z"...

... I'm interested in your opinion on what "c" through "y" are that lead to the end of the world!

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Joozey] #203910
04/24/08 22:36
04/24/08 22:36
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
 Quote:
Until you give me the maths that gives the exact chance of a black hole to be generated, there is no reason not to believe CERN scientists other than the lack of your personal trust in today scientists.

Quote:
You have only one thing left to do; paste the mathematical calculations for chances of a BH here and prove for once and ever that CERN is really dangerous to the existence of our world... or not.

I think this falls under the "put up or shut up" category and I couldn't agree more. We are taking the time to present our research and finding to you, Why_do.
We methodically address each of your points by presenting our facts, references, links, and general knowledge.
We have tried to stay clear as much as possible from personal opinions or religious intent as per the topic of the thread.

Do we not deserve the same respect that we afford you, Why_do?
Would it be too much to ask that if you make a mathematical or scientific statemtn, you provide the references for us to follow up on?

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: fastlane69] #203928
04/25/08 02:08
04/25/08 02:08
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Quote:
the mathematical calculations for chances of a BH here

Actually, this would be pointless in a way. A 'single' chance, even if it's incredibly near 1, is still no guarantee that it will actually go wrong. Especially if you consider the fact that these kind of issues are always looked upon from a certain paradigm... but there's a chance the paradigm or parts of it is wrong. Two wrongs might result in disaster, two wrongs might result in nothing. It's all the same in the end when it comes to assumptions, estimates and predictions.

By the way, something else... nuclear power is pretty useful for us, as is chemotherapy that already saved quite a few people from cancer. It's not all bad that has come from the "A-bomb" invention, ;\)

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: PHeMoX] #203952
04/25/08 10:14
04/25/08 10:14
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
 Quote:
Actually, this would be pointless in a way. A 'single' chance, even if it's incredibly near 1, is still no guarantee that it will actually go wrong. Especially if you consider the fact that these kind of issues are always looked upon from a certain paradigm

No, it is usefull. You can perform a risk analysis from this. If the result would be higher than, let's say, 0.0001%, then it is an unacceptable risk and the project should indeed be stopped. There is no real line to what is acceptable and not, but if 1% is not acceptable, and 0.00001% is, ánd there are only 2 results (seen what why_do represents us here), then you know the answer soon enough.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Joozey] #203958
04/25/08 11:19
04/25/08 11:19
T
testDummy Offline
Serious User
testDummy  Offline
Serious User
T

The amount of suction found in the forum poll interface appears to be greater than that found in an imagined combination of Earth Black Hole Intercourse (c), and polls referencing that topic, which use the interface?

Concept suggestions for Black Hole Earth Sucking Day (c) T-Shirts are welcome.
(All proceeds will be held until the first day of cosmic intercourse, and donated thereafter.)

intercourse with black hole
single choice
extermination event -> slow n steady Earth BH intercourse is favored
50%, 4 Votes
extermination event -> quickie Earth BH intercourse is favored
50%, 4 Votes
Total Votes: 8
Voting on this poll ends: 10/30/18 10:59
Last edited by testDummy; 04/25/08 11:42.
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Joozey] #204005
04/25/08 16:28
04/25/08 16:28
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Joozey
 Quote:
Actually, this would be pointless in a way. A 'single' chance, even if it's incredibly near 1, is still no guarantee that it will actually go wrong. Especially if you consider the fact that these kind of issues are always looked upon from a certain paradigm

No, it is usefull. You can perform a risk analysis from this. If the result would be higher than, let's say, 0.0001%, then it is an unacceptable risk and the project should indeed be stopped. There is no real line to what is acceptable and not, but if 1% is not acceptable, and 0.00001% is, ánd there are only 2 results (seen what why_do represents us here), then you know the answer soon enough.

Yes, I understand that, but the actual chance itself is probably as arbitrary ( errors in the calculations are possible or a lacking x-factor) as is what people decide based upon it (the latter always being based on a certain paradigm), that's all I'm saying. It might be useful in terms of risk analysis, but basically it's just a number... the actual decisions based upon it can still be "wrong". As I said, a 0.00000001% chance still doesn't mean it won't happen, just like 0.9999999999991% doesn't mean it will happen. You can't say without doubt that it won't or will happen, that's what I've meant.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: PHeMoX] #204027
04/25/08 18:41
04/25/08 18:41
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
http://backreaction.blogspot.com/2008/04/black-holes-at-lhc-what-can-happen.html

Thank god I don't have to do the calculations myself. Every concept on this blog is scientifically sound and the few calculations I did check out with his.

The setup:
 Quote:
First of all, mini black holes at the LHC are an option only if one of the theories of "large extra dimensions" would in fact be true. But of course, these theories are only speculations so far. Second, should mini black holes be created in high-energy particle collisions, they would evaporate very fast, due to Hawking radiation. Though Hawking radiation has not been experimentally verified so far, its existence is expected in almost all theoretical scenarios investigated (no matter where you go, you will always find somebody who disagrees on something).

I love that last line... like a true scientist, he admits that someone (maybe why_do?) will always come up with a opposing point of few based on experimentation and calculation and reason (ok; maybe not why_do...)

The conclusion:

Quote:
In short: If tiny black holes were produced because large extra dimensions did exist in the necessary number with the necessary radius, and if they did not evaporate within 10-26 seconds as expected (Hawking evaporation is considered a very robust prediction, so this scenario is not confirmed by well founded theories), most of them would have such a high velocity that they escaped the gravitational field of the Earth for good. Even if they travelled straight through the centre of the Earth, the few nucleons they can hit wouldn't change their momentum in an appreciable way.

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #204164
04/27/08 12:11
04/27/08 12:11
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

it is wrong to make such experiments withought the outmost approval by all of the worlds people through a voting system , it is wrong for this decisions to be made by the scientists and the politicians they bamboozle, it is wrong for them not to be fully open and honest about every single possibility of disaster , it is wrong to mislead the public for their own self indulgance. This points you cannot argued , it is wrong to handle such delicate things in this manner.

The decisions must be taken only by competent people otherwise it is demagogy rather than democracy
Here in Italy a bunch of imbecilles succeeded in stopping the development of the nuclear power plants through a a voting system
30 years after they have been finally kicked out of the parliament but the country is still paying the cost of these charlatans

Last edited by AlbertoT; 04/28/08 10:00.
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: AlbertoT] #205089
05/03/08 19:21
05/03/08 19:21
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline OP
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline OP
Warned

U.S.
"The decisions must be taken only by competent people"
We are all equal my friend , every person's vote should always count as much as the next, sadly , we live in a world were some people "think" they are smarter than others , and think they can decide for everyone, when in reality , this people are not smarter , but are sociopaths with mental delusions , who take advantage of their lack of morals , and respect towards their fellow people , to excuse their behavior and actions, claiming they know better than everyone and whats best for everyone.

Well , I got banned from the forum for 3 days , then I lost my internet , LOL , so I couldnt continue the post till now. I am however going to start a new thread about evolution and creation later on today, because this one did go WAY out of topic.

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #205090
05/03/08 19:37
05/03/08 19:37
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
 Quote:
We are all equal my friend , every person's vote should always count as much as the next, sadly , we live in a world were some people "think" they are smarter than others , and think they can decide for everyone, when in reality , this people are not smarter , but are sociopaths with mental delusions , who take advantage of their lack of morals , and respect towards their fellow people , to excuse their behavior and actions, claiming they know better than everyone and whats best for everyone.

We are nót equal on making decisions.
Only people who have studied for it (statistics, human psychology, physics, chemics, etc in this case) are qualified to draw the right conclusions build upon solid facts.

If it happens to be a political or ethical matter, then it's concerned for 'us' civilians, and only then your vote counts and has a value. But before a case becomes a political or ethical case it should be qualified as such by independent researchers who have knowledge of relevant information.

If everyone could just vote for anything they want, the world, most likely, becomes a havoc. 90% of the voters do not take every single case in mind and think they vote right while, in fact, they do not.

Prove?
http://www.coniserver.net/ubb7/ubbthread...&gonew=1#UNREAD

Now go count the posts of people changing their vote AFTER JCL gave some more information.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite