Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/20/24 10:06
StartWeek not working as it should
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:32
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:30
folder management functions
by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
lookback setting performance issue
by 7th_zorro. 04/16/24 03:08
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (7th_zorro, Aku_Aku, 1 invisible), 579 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #205091
05/03/08 19:40
05/03/08 19:40
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

No my friend we are not all equal , this is pure demagogy
A scientist is not the same as a poet
Let the former not to talk about Oratius's metrics and the latter about nuclear power plants

Last edited by AlbertoT; 05/03/08 19:43.
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: AlbertoT] #205092
05/03/08 19:44
05/03/08 19:44
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
 Quote:
evolution and creation

I'll be amazed if you bring anything new to the table. Hasn't this topic been beat (down) to death on these forums?

Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #205100
05/03/08 23:53
05/03/08 23:53
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Quote:

it is wrong to make such experiments withought the outmost approval by all of the worlds people through a voting system , it is wrong for this decisions to be made by the scientists and the politicians they bamboozle, it is wrong for them not to be fully open and honest about every single possibility of disaster , it is wrong to mislead the public for their own self indulgance. This points you cannot argued , it is wrong to handle such delicate things in this manner.

Why am I not surprised to hear this from you... ;\) It's really pure ignorance on your side to think that scientists and people that have actually studied the problems, wouldn't ever know what to do. Their educated guess is a lot more valuable than some manic preacher saying we are all going to die if we don't do whatever he says. God no, not a voting system... please, people are far too easily convinced by religious leaders, maniacs, conspiracies, such a system would be devastating. Sure it sounds nice in theory, but it simply won't work.

Quote:

We are all equal my friend , every person's vote should always count as much as the next, sadly , we live in a world were some people "think" they are smarter than others , and think they can decide for everyone, when in reality , this people are not smarter , but are sociopaths with mental delusions , who take advantage of their lack of morals , and respect towards their fellow people , to excuse their behavior and actions, claiming they know better than everyone and whats best for everyone.

This is where you are wrong. We might be equal as human, yes, but there's a good reason why self-proclaimed experts in our societies AREN'T the ones in charge.

In fact, there still aren't enough politicians that really do what was suggested by 'professionals'. No, scientists are like 'advisers' for them... so basically your 'voting system' is in place. Just vote for the politician that comes closest to your beliefs.

I am aware that there probably will be professionals that disagree with eachother and that mistakes can be made because of this, but mistakes are being made anyways.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: PHeMoX] #205109
05/04/08 02:31
05/04/08 02:31
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
let me put it this way:

The probability of the LHC creating a black hole that will eat up the entire world is as high as creating a speaking green pig saying "ROFL".

Possible? Yes.
Probable? No.

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #205121
05/04/08 09:57
05/04/08 09:57
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline OP
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline OP
Warned

U.S.
"We are nót equal on making decisions.
Only people who have studied for it (statistics, human psychology, physics, chemics, etc in this case) are qualified to draw the right conclusions build upon solid facts."

Yes my friend , you should really get a good unbiased history book and read it to see the desicions this so called "qualified decision takers" have taken throughout our time before commenting nonsence. You say withought this people there would be havok ? No man , there would be just people living on earth , which is what we are meant to do. Again , open up ur mind , just a little , and you will see what I mean.

"No my friend we are not all equal , this is pure demagogy
A scientist is not the same as a poet
Let the former not to talk about Oratius's metrics and the latter about nuclear power plants"

And thats a big flaw of this system , who says you need to be a scientist to know about a nuclear plant ? I fully understand how a nuclear reactor works and how nuclear bombs work and how they are manufactured , I am not a scientist , but I understand what this things are , and clearly see their dangers , I dont think you need to be a scientist to figure out if nuclear bombs are safe for us. The problem is most people (like yourself) assume the people in charge will always make the proper decisions for us , when in fact , they mostly do the complete opposite.

If you believe you have no say in what happens in the world , thats fine , thats your stance , I believe we all should have a say , this world is just as much mine as it is the president's or the royal families of the world. I refuse to believe I should submit , you on the other hand seem to accept the place they have given you in life.

"The probability of the LHC creating a black hole that will eat up the entire world is as high as creating a speaking green pig saying "ROFL"."

Well , thats the EXACT same possibility of finding the higgs , yet they believe it's enough possibility to create a 6 billion dollar machine to look for it , how does this not sink into your head ?
Possibility of finding higs and of creating a black hole are THE SAME , EXACTLY THE SAME, you must first understand that , then realize how much money and effort they are putting into the project to understand the real chance of this happening in theory.
However , I do believe the higs is bullshit , so , I guess there isnt too much to worry about.

I now understand this is just another experiment to fuel more money into the physisists , who unlike regular people who work for their bread and butter need the government to feed them with taxpayers money.

"Their educated guess is a lot more valuable than some manic preacher saying we are all going to die if we don't do whatever he says"

I dont wanna get too into this , but if you actually research , and I do mean ACTUALLY RESEARCH all the theories , you will come to the conclusion that the religions are much closer to the truth than the scientists. I will post a topic on this tomorrow or the day after when I have time , but I can assure you , darwinism and evolution are become more and more obsolete as the days go by, oh , and by the findings of scientists themselves to add to the irony.

Last edited by Why_Do_I_Die; 05/04/08 10:11.
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #205125
05/04/08 10:46
05/04/08 10:46
Netherlands
Joozey Offline
Expert
Joozey  Offline
Expert

Netherlands
 Quote:
You say withought this people there would be havok ? No man , there would be just people living on earth , which is what we are meant to do. Again , open up ur mind , just a little , and you will see what I mean.

There could very well be havoc, and this chance is definately much bigger than the LHC generating earth-swallowing black holes.
We are living on this planet right now, and we do not need total world havoc for that to happen. So I don't understand why you would draw that conclusion.

Without even taking the prove I provided from this very forum in concideration, hence just totaly ignore it and aim directly at my 'counter-opinion', this discussion becomes worthless and I hope in real life you keep your strange thoughts only for yourself.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #205144
05/04/08 13:07
05/04/08 13:07
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
 Originally Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die
Well , thats the EXACT same possibility of finding the higgs , yet they believe it's enough possibility to create a 6 billion dollar machine to look for it , how does this not sink into your head ?
Possibility of finding higs and of creating a black hole are THE SAME , EXACTLY THE SAME, you must first understand that , then realize how much money and effort they are putting into the project to understand the real chance of this happening in theory.
However , I do believe the higs is bullshit , so , I guess there isnt too much to worry about.

Well, but now we are talking about spending 6 billion dollars, not anymore about creating earth-swallowing black-holes, and THAT is the point actually.

And infact, the probability of finding the Higgs is tremendously higher. But even if we would assume its the same, and lets assume we DONT find the higgs. Then we would find something else.

And to be upright honestly about it. Six billion dollars for finding the answer to life... I think that is still pretty cheap. The answer TO LIFE. The question that bugged humankind since we were crawling in caves. I think it's far more worth than 6 billion dollars.

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: (LHC)Large Hadron Collider endangers earth [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #205175
05/04/08 18:25
05/04/08 18:25
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
 Originally Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die
And thats a big flaw of this system , who says you need to be a scientist to know about a nuclear plant ? I fully understand how a nuclear reactor works and how nuclear bombs work and how they are manufactured , I am not a scientist , but I understand what this things are , and clearly see their dangers , I dont think you need to be a scientist to figure out if nuclear bombs are safe for us.

You don't even (want to) understand how evolution works, let alone how most sciences work. I doubt your opinion would even be remotely useful. Do I approve of scientists working with nuclear reactors? Yes, despite all the risks I do. Whether you like it or not, solving the energy problem in the long run probably has more to do with atomic bombs that you'd understand.

Quote:
The problem is most people (like yourself) assume the people in charge will always make the proper decisions for us , when in fact , they mostly do the complete opposite.

So why don't you blame the people in charge? They are the ones making the wrong decisions, like invading Iraq.... Scientists just give their educated opinions and often this is based on solid evidence. Does this mean scientists can't ever be wrong? Hell no, they don't claim to be omniscient, they aren't Gods.

Besides, I do not assume people in charge will always make the right decisions. In fact, often they won't because a lot of them are selfish, ignorant and we do not exactly vote the most brightest to power... On the other hand, would a person like Einstein be able to run a country? For various reasons, probably not.

To vastly improve the change of making the right decisions, you need to have the combined knowledge of the scientific community, merged into one opinion. You will see that there will often be two sides and there will always be the risk of being wrong.

Quote:
"The probability of the LHC creating a black hole that will eat up the entire world is as high as creating a speaking green pig saying "ROFL"."

Depending on your definition of pig, this is clearly impossible. :p

Quote:
I dont wanna get too into this , but if you actually research , and I do mean ACTUALLY RESEARCH all the theories , you will come to the conclusion that the religions are much closer to the truth than the scientists. I will post a topic on this tomorrow or the day after when I have time , but I can assure you , darwinism and evolution are become more and more obsolete as the days go by, oh , and by the findings of scientists themselves to add to the irony.

You are being vague and seem to claim that once again science is all wrong and evil. I really doubt you can prove what you claim here. You put too much trust in pseudo-scientists the way I see it. ;\)

Quote:
And to be upright honestly about it. Six billion dollars for finding the answer to life... I think that is still pretty cheap. The answer TO LIFE. The question that bugged humankind since we were crawling in caves. I think it's far more worth than 6 billion dollars.

If wars are worth spending hundreds of billions on... this definitely is far more worth by any definition.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
The Crackpot Index [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #205179
05/04/08 18:39
05/04/08 18:39
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
The Crackpot Index
by John Baez

A little background: people like Why_do have been contaminating the internet waves since the days of news net. I say contaminate because they are disrepectful and insulting to those that don't agree with them and merely throw ideas out without thought, research, or followup. Hence in the late 80's I think, Baez, the admin for the physics usenet, came up with this index. It is a convenient way to gauge a persons theory... so here we go!

Quote:
A simple method for rating potentially revolutionary contributions to physics:

A -5 point starting credit.

Quote:
1 point for every statement that is widely agreed on to be false.

-2 for LHC and Evolution

Quote:
2 points for every statement that is clearly vacuous.

-4 because there are so many, I'm just going to restrict myself to 2

Quote:
3 points for every statement that is logically inconsistent.

0 I think there have been but as this has been science and not logic, not going to dig for this one.

Quote:
5 points for each such statement that is adhered to despite careful correction.

-10 LHC and science in general

Quote:
5 points for using a thought experiment that contradicts the results of a widely accepted real experiment.

0 Why_do is not big on thought.... experiments.

Quote:
5 points for each word in all capital letters (except for those with defective keyboards).

LOL I get nailed on this one EVERY TIME.

Quote:
5 points for each mention of "Einstien", "Hawkins" or "Feynmann".

-5 I think Einstein was brought up?

Quote:
10 points for each claim that quantum mechanics is fundamentally misguided (without good evidence).

Quote:
10 points for pointing out that you have gone to school, as if this were evidence of sanity.

Quote:
10 points for beginning the description of your theory by saying how long you have been working on it. (10 more for emphasizing that you worked on your own.)

Quote:
10 points for mailing your theory to someone you don't know personally and asking them not to tell anyone else about it, for fear that your ideas will be stolen.

Quote:
10 points for offering prize money to anyone who proves and/or finds any flaws in your theory.

Quote:
10 points for each new term you invent and use without properly defining it.

Quote:
10 points for each statement along the lines of "I'm not good at math, but my theory is conceptually right, so all I need is for someone to express it in terms of equations".

Quote:
10 points for arguing that a current well-established theory is "only a theory", as if this were somehow a point against it.

-10 This is Why_do's main arguement if I remember

Quote:
10 points for arguing that while a current well-established theory predicts phenomena correctly, it doesn't explain "why" they occur, or fails to provide a "mechanism".

-10 LOL It's like re-reading this thread.

Quote:
10 points for each favorable comparison of yourself to Einstein, or claim that special or general relativity are fundamentally misguided (without good evidence).

Quote:
10 points for claiming that your work is on the cutting edge of a "paradigm shift".

Quote:
20 points for emailing me and complaining about the crackpot index. (E.g., saying that it "suppresses original thinkers" or saying that I misspelled "Einstein" in item 8.)

0 However, you know that why_do's stance will be of the "suppress" kind so I may have to regrade.

Quote:
20 points for suggesting that you deserve a Nobel prize.

Quote:
20 points for each favorable comparison of yourself to Newton or claim that classical mechanics is fundamentally misguided (without good evidence).

0 I don't think why_do ever said it was flawed but merely relied on the above ("it's only a theory") for his arguements

Quote:
20 points for every use of science fiction works or myths as if they were fact.

Quote:
20 points for defending yourself by bringing up (real or imagined) ridicule accorded to your past theories.

Quote:
20 points for naming something after yourself. (E.g., talking about the "The Evans Field Equation" when your name happens to be Evans.)

Quote:
20 points for talking about how great your theory is, but never actually explaining it.

Quote:
20 points for each use of the phrase "hidebound reactionary".

Quote:
20 points for each use of the phrase "self-appointed defender of the orthodoxy".

10 partial credit here for why_do never said exaclty the above, but certainly has alluded to it.

Quote:
30 points for suggesting that a famous figure secretly disbelieved in a theory which he or she publicly supported. (E.g., that Feynman was a closet opponent of special relativity, as deduced by reading between the lines in his freshman physics textbooks.)

Quote:
30 points for suggesting that Einstein, in his later years, was groping his way towards the ideas you now advocate.

Quote:
30 points for claiming that your theories were developed by an extraterrestrial civilization (without good evidence).

Quote:
30 points for allusions to a delay in your work while you spent time in an asylum, or references to the psychiatrist who tried to talk you out of your theory.

Quote:
40 points for comparing those who argue against your ideas to Nazis, stormtroopers, or brownshirts.

40 LOL again, it's eerie how accurate this is.

Quote:
40 points for claiming that the "scientific establishment" is engaged in a "conspiracy" to prevent your work from gaining its well-deserved fame, or suchlike.

20 partial credit for while why_do does not claim this to be "his" works, he is a conspiracty nu.... errrmmm... person.

Quote:
40 points for comparing yourself to Galileo, suggesting that a modern-day Inquisition is hard at work on your case, and so on.

0 It's very close to the point above, so I dont' want to double grade.

Quote:
40 points for claiming that when your theory is finally appreciated, present-day science will be seen for the sham it truly is. (30 more points for fantasizing about show trials in which scientists who mocked your theories will be forced to recant.)

20 AGain another partial credit for the allusionns why_do makes to this effect.

Quote:
50 points for claiming you have a revolutionary theory but giving no concrete testable predictions.

20 And finally, partial credit for again, why_do doesn't claim it's "his" but he doesn't offer any TESTABLE predictions for his statements.

At 156 if my math is correct (and please correct me if I'm wrong), this s not the worst score I've seen. Why_do's saving grace (and shame) is that none of what he says is his: he is merely a "monkey say; monkey do" and repeating what others are saying without doing the work him/her self. But still I think the index does a good job at showing how UNORIGINAL why_do's brand of ignorance is. ;\)

D'oh! [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #205181
05/04/08 18:51
05/04/08 18:51
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
 Quote:
And thats a big flaw of this system , who says you need to be a scientist to know about a nuclear plant ?

Now it all makes sense!!!

I scoured the internet and finally found a shot of Why_Do at work:

A little more digging and I found one of Why_Do working out the chances of the LHC creating a black hole

Finally, here is a little "preview" of Why_Do's upcoming "evolution vs. creationism" post:

Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite