by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Quad, aliswee), 835 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Is the Official Guide to 3D GameStudio worth getting #206003
05/10/08 03:10
05/10/08 03:10
O
OblivionDrake Offline OP
OblivionDrake  Offline OP
O

Hello I am currious wether purchasing The Official Guide to 3D GameStudio(found on there home site) is really worth getting. In there breef description of the book It really doesnt say more than it helps you make a FPS which im learning now using the FREE WED tutorial from there download page. So here are the questions:(As I would hope you could guess these questions are directed to those that had already purchased the book.)

What make the FPS they clam to show you how to create better than one that I am learning with the WED tutorial?

The book is 480pgs. Is all that just on making a FPS or are there information on other typs of games that I can make like RPGs for example?

If they are teaching me how to make a FPS being that its a book im guessing there wont be any premade models, script, or textures besides the ones that come with 3DGS and that ill be shown how to make everything from scratch?(Would actually like that. just an opinion)

Also I have A7 and this is for A6 would there be any major conflict besides the fact that I think A6 still used c-cript and not lit-c?

Those are my questions for now unless I think of other ones.
In short Im just tryin to know more about whats in the book.

Look forward to replys

Re: Is the Official Guide to 3D GameStudio worth getting [Re: OblivionDrake] #206022
05/10/08 15:37
05/10/08 15:37
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

I have looked in a copy and think its not worth getting, its for really absolute beginners and does not explain much about Gamestudio but more about game creation in general. IMHO the tutorials here are better than that book.

Re: Is the Official Guide to 3D GameStudio worth getting [Re: Spirit] #206209
05/12/08 02:56
05/12/08 02:56
O
OblivionDrake Offline OP
O

Aperishate the feed back Spirit and to clarify I am an absolute beginner and created this post because the WED SED and even the 3DGS Basics Tutorial in the AU Reasorces seem to leave me hanging in places. Wether it be the fact that the tutorial makers find the things I strugle with commen cence or that I think way to into things.

some examples are:

1.Entities and Models. The difference? I know how to make a model in MED but how do i turn that into an Entity havent found anything that explanes that or why i would need to change a model to entity.

2. I have A7 and many of the tutorials are A6 and they all seem to be based around the thought that I have the free gard and wizard entites that apperently come with the A6. The only thing that showes up in my entity files are my lvls. Why whould a lvl be an entity?

3. Also in the WED tut. when it gets to modifying weapons(because even though i had no entities or an idea how to create them i was still able to add a player scriped to a model of a box i made) It just throughs me this short line: Open up the customization dialog on "Biped Player Weapons": not giving me a clue were im to go to open the Biped Player Weapons box from unless theres a hot key on my keyboard that does it and they figured I would oblivisly know on instinck(Which i Dont)

4. Lastly all the tutorials iv looked at require premade objects to down load or use(back to the gard and wizard model) none that ive seen or that worked had you learn by starting from scratch like creating a player model and script , enemy model and scrip, and weapons ect.. Before starting to build the lvl with WED. There were two that I was happy to see in the Resouce page till i downloaded them and found out that they dont work. The Doing Away with template tut. which i know is not for beginers but still none of the documents worked other that telling u what u were about to learn. And the Model of a real person tut. which had text but no pics.

And to clarify I did not right all that just to Bash the tutorials Im just letting you know how far ive goten and aperently my common sence lvl.

I'm the type of person if you make a tutorial for anything on the computer creat it with the thought that there is gona be someone reading it that take smaller steps than baby steps and that any little hole will hinder there progress because if it were a road i would end up triping over the smallest pothole and snap my neck.

And that is the main reason i am slow at learning new programs on the computer And again Im not condeming the tuts. they were good i know that I find it very hard to learn a Visual skill by reading about it and that is why I was hesitant on buying this book.

And in finally realizing this I ask this question what is your thoughts on Creating 3D games.com and would it be worth getting/or becoming a member?

Re: Is the Official Guide to 3D GameStudio worth getting [Re: OblivionDrake] #206285
05/12/08 18:23
05/12/08 18:23
Wisconsin, USA
dwalther2 Offline
dwalther2  Offline

Wisconsin, USA
I waited a while to get the book because a lot of people said it was too beginner to bother with. Although I agree it is very beginner. It does delve into other than just FPS. It looks at RPG and goes into a lot of detail on constructing levels and characters. I would have to say it was very helpful (to me) and that I thought is was money well spent IMO. I have A7 but it has info that you can use in that even though it might be more geared to an earlier addition. Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

Re: Is the Official Guide to 3D GameStudio worth getting [Re: dwalther2] #206349
05/13/08 04:26
05/13/08 04:26
O
OblivionDrake Offline OP
O

Thanks for the comment dwalther I thought i heard the book had stuff on RPG from someone before and i hope when you mean constructing characters it explains the question i cant seem to find the answer to in any tutorial of what the difference is between a Model and an entity.

but again thanks for the post it drawing me closer toward the buying the book rought.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de