Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, TedMar, dr_panther, Ayumi), 1,072 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15
Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #208772
05/29/08 13:26
05/29/08 13:26
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
the chance of abundant life existing in the universe is vast. Just look at all the life that exists in ONE little planet , can you imagine the amount of life that exists in this whole universe ?

True, I can't really argue with the logic implied here, but finding water elsewhere might still not be a guarantee for life. Again, how inevitable is the development of life when for example water exists on a planet?

We do know that water must have been very important for life (on earth) to develop, so yeah finding water gives a planet a higher score on the likeliness-scale of finding life for sure.

Then again Mars has polar icecaps and frozen ice layers under it's surface, yet micro-organisms or fossils haven't been found yet. I'm not saying they won't find them there, but it would have quite some implications on how we will think about these questions.

Obviously it takes a huge amount of time and effort to research an entire planet like Mars, but it wouldn't surprise me either way. As in, yes the conditions seem to be good (although needless to say (at the moment) Mars is a much more hostile planet towards life than our earth), yet possibility doesn't imply an inevitability.

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: PHeMoX] #208777
05/29/08 13:42
05/29/08 13:42
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Why_do:I didnt disagree with you, in fact - I even agreed! Like I said: If there is no other life out there, the Unvierse is a MASSIVE waste of space.

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #208778
05/29/08 13:47
05/29/08 13:47
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Look at it from the brighter side; the less life out there, the less competition and more space for us to explore and colonize (aka pollute) eventually. wink

If there really turns out to be no life apart from our planet, (something that's not falsifiable considering the vast amount of planets on which life might exist... but still), then we could also decide to spread life ourselves. wink

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: PHeMoX] #208783
05/29/08 14:38
05/29/08 14:38
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
throw a bunch of microbes into a puddle of water on a life sustainable planet and watch what happens, huh? laugh

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #208796
05/29/08 15:42
05/29/08 15:42
broozar Offline
Expert
broozar  Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: Michael_Schwarz
throw a bunch of microbes into a puddle of water on a life sustainable planet and watch what happens, huh? laugh
your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great²³²-grandchildren could tell you xD

Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #208804
05/29/08 16:52
05/29/08 16:52
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
I think it's 100% conclusive evidence that UFO's in fact do exists

It's just more of the same: eyewitnesses and interpretation. After all, just because a recording says "I see an object", heck even if a recording has someone saying "I see a UFO", is not evidence, it's hearsay.

Quote:
Things dont have to be the same as earth for life , thats a rediculous assumption

That's correct. But equally ridiculous is the idea that we can successfully "guess" what that "other" life could be. That's my point to that post: that since we only know of ONE sentiant lifeform, we should search on the parameters we KNOW lead to life, not parameters that we ASSUME could lead to some type of life. My thought experiment was just a quick "back of the envelope" examination of how one would go about, scientifically, trying to find these "other" lifes. As you can see, it's a lot more involved than looking for life like us.

Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: fastlane69] #208856
05/30/08 03:55
05/30/08 03:55
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
"heck even if a recording has someone saying "I see a UFO", is not evidence, it's hearsay."

This are all Military officials that take care of the nations air space , these are not just random people , they are trained officers who can distinguish a ufo from say a fighter plane or the like. So , it's incredible that you would refute the arguments of government officials , the same people who'se opinions you seem to always hold in very high reguard , and only because their testimony disagrees with your believes.

"that since we only know of ONE sentiant lifeform, we should search on the parameters we KNOW lead to life"

Well we need to find a way to get to the other planets first , then we will see if there is life or there isnt.

Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #208892
05/30/08 13:26
05/30/08 13:26
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
it's incredible that you would refute the arguments of government officials , the same people who'se opinions you seem to always hold in very high reguard

LOL

Not so incredible when you consider I have never stated that I hold them in high opinion; that's your fantasy, not mine! smile

LOL

And anyway, there is nothing about being military or government that turns "hearsay" into "evidence". Just because President Jimmy Carter saw something he can't explain doesn't mean that this is "proof" of alien existance.

Quote:
they are trained officers who can distinguish a ufo from say a fighter plane or the like.

Really? What do you think that commercial pilots made of the f-117 stealth before it was public, hmm? Do you think that they reported it as "an airplane" even though they had no knowledge that such an airplane existed... or do you suppose that they reported it as a UFO? Exactly.

So all even the most vetern airman can say is "I saw something that I can't explain"... but the lack of an explanation is not the proof of aliens.

Quote:
testimony disagrees with your believes.

I don't think I've stated whether I believe that aliens exist or not, so how can you say this?

Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: fastlane69] #208925
05/30/08 17:30
05/30/08 17:30
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: fastlane69
[quote]

So the their existence and level of technology is not an assumption? wink

I thought it was evident that I made a "reduction to the absurd" to refute the claim that aliens have visited our earth

" one assumes a claim for the sake of argument and derives an absurd or ridiculous outcome, and then concludes that the original claim must have been wrong as it led to an absurd result "

I got started from scientific evidences ( the size of our galaxi)
I made some assumptions in favour of the claim but within the bounds of the physical laws ( the level of technology )
I got an absurd scenario

Honestly I thought it was so obvious

Last edited by AlbertoT; 05/30/08 17:31.
Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: ChrisB] #208928
05/30/08 17:57
05/30/08 17:57
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

That is a chemistry thing. Hydrogen and carbon can form very very long molecular chains ...

This is the point

a) spetroscopic analysis of even the most remote star systems demostrate that they are like our sun
No unknown elements has never been found in the thousands meteorits falling every year on our earth and coming from the deep space
ammino acids have been found in meteorits

b) As ChrisB said life can be based only on carbon
A complex organism must be made of different kind of tissues
These tissues must be reasonably stable but not that stable to allow the complex bio chemical process
Only carbon has this property

If you put a and b togheter it reasonable to assume that the aliens , if they exist, are like us , at least as far as their chemistry is concerned

Of course their shape, color ,dimensions , might be quite different

Beside also their planet must be like our earth for evident reasons

Last edited by AlbertoT; 05/30/08 18:26.
Page 8 of 15 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 14 15

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite