Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (vicknick, dr_panther, VoroneTZ), 1,255 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15
Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: AlbertoT] #209114
06/01/08 04:25
06/01/08 04:25
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
May be someone wonder who is that guy who agrees with fastline but disagrees with an article written by a scientists [...]" more than 10 years' experience in media, arts and communications "

It doesn't take a science degree to find holes in an arguement... anymore than I would blindly believe someone just because they have a science degree. This person, regardless of his credentials, brings up valid points against his theory. You Alberto however chose to attack his credentials instead of his ideas.

Maybe someone wonders why you chose to attack this persons credentials instead of his points. Usually it's because you can't attack his points and thus are only left with attacking a person. Is this the case here?

Otherwise, how about you address his and my points instead of our credentials, ok? smile

Quote:
Mr Bjork choosed 10 % because this is the best compromise [...]If speed further increases than also the mass of probe increases exponentially

If that is what Mr. Bjork said then there are obvious flaws to his arguements since mass doesn't grow exponentially with speed. Traveling at .5 c, the gamma factor is 1.1; at .9 c, the gamma factor is 2.2.

It grows large. Don't get me wrong, I take your meaning. But if this is the basis of his reasoning for choosing 10%, then there is no physical reason why it couldn't be 50%, 70%, or 90% c as well. Hence there is nothing physically special about 10%.

I've addressed your points, how do you address one of mine? -- > Are my choices of parameters that change a 10 B year exploration down to 2.5 M years physically reasonable and why not if not?

Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #209115
06/01/08 04:40
06/01/08 04:40
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
You my friend , deserve to be hung from a tree , showered with gasoline and lit on fire. You are a worthless member of society , and a parasite to the human race. It is a shame people like yourself are able to trick younger inexperienced minds into believing your empty ideas , it is a shame we live in a world were the science community's fat heads have grown to the size of Jupiter , and it is a shame the citizens of the world don't hang this fat headed piss drinking , shit eating hermaphrodites.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent" -- Salvor Hardin, "Foundation" by Isaac Asimov

Quote:
Oh yeah , and MODS , if you ban me dont delete or erase the message

You go out as you came in: being wrong on all counts.
There is no "if" about your ban and your message will be deleted.

In fact, in a weeks time nobody will remember "why_do" or anything he said.
It will be, for all intensive purposes, as if he never existed on these boards... and the boards are none the worse for it.

So take care of yourself and that temper, why_do.
For if this is the way you act and express yourself in real life, then things must be pretty rotten around you.
Good luck again...

Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: fastlane69] #209116
06/01/08 06:07
06/01/08 06:07
WA, Australia
J
JibbSmart Offline
Expert
JibbSmart  Offline
Expert
J

WA, Australia
why did those bjork simulations only consider one other alien life-form? what if there are millions of different alien species, and a thousand of them have enough technology to do what bjork's simulation described. wouldn't that reduce the time-frame from 10bn to only 10million?

why don't those probes plant themselves on various planets, mining/harvesting common resources, constructing more of themselves as well as probes built just to search, and churn them out until they can no longer sustain themselves? or is that too absurd?

i think it would be pretty groovy.

julz

EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_probe#Von_Neumann_probes

once again: groovy.

Last edited by JulzMighty; 06/01/08 06:15. Reason: Found a link!

Formerly known as JulzMighty.
I made KarBOOM!
Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: JibbSmart] #209119
06/01/08 06:29
06/01/08 06:29
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent"

This are the statements people who FEAR violence make , because they are cowards , and fear to fight , but at the same time , want to run their mouth , and not be held responsible for what they say , so they hide with their words.

Don't think I don't see the homosexual behavior being exibited left and right by today's males , all afraid too fight , all cowards.

A man who is afraid of violence , is a man who has no say.

Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #209121
06/01/08 06:44
06/01/08 06:44
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
why don't those probes plant themselves on various planets, mining/harvesting common resources, constructing more of themselves

Hell yeah! Allowing Von Neumann Machines (VNM) would significantly skew the results towards shorter time frames. And, one could argue, the simple shapes and non-contact of purported Alien UFO's would be consistent with a machine that is only entasked with a singular mission and constructed from a simply replicated design.

Bjork v2.0 ought to be very cool if all these other variables are taken into account!

Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: JibbSmart] #209131
06/01/08 08:20
06/01/08 08:20
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

why did those bjork simulations only consider one other alien life-form? what if there are millions of different alien species, and a thousand of them have enough technology to do what bjork's simulation described. i think it would be pretty groovy.

This is the Enrico Fermi's simulation or paradox , if you prefer

If our galaxi is crowded with civilized aliens colonies than the ether should be polluted of radio comunications

SETI radio telescope have been scanning the sky for many years
Not even one signal from the space has been ever received

This is the reason why mr Bjork and myself , went for a " mere scouting simulation "
rather than a more realistic " Colonization" strategy

Some scouts could be difficult to find
Colonies or outposts , relativly closed to our earth, definitly not

Last edited by AlbertoT; 06/01/08 15:09.
Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: PHeMoX] #209134
06/01/08 08:40
06/01/08 08:40
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Quote:

not every person, regardless of their excellent credentials, can be right all the time...

right, but if you quote someone to support your opinion than he must have credentials
He can not be a "who ist it ? " guy

However I would be curious to see an article or a simulation made by a qualified scientist demostrating that aliens might have visited our earth
I am speaking seriously , I am not ironic

Just to avoid misunderstanding

Tha vast majority of scientists , as far as I know , do not beleive that aliens visited our earth for the reason explained

However many scientists beleive that aliens exist, not necessary super civilizations
The reason being ;

a) Evolution is a deterministic theory
It needs a great deal of chance, of course, but it is deterministic

b) The huge number od planets in the universe

Last edited by AlbertoT; 06/01/08 08:52.
Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: AlbertoT] #209188
06/01/08 19:55
06/01/08 19:55
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
right, but if you quote someone to support your opinion than he must have credentials

Whoa! Absolutely not!

While I admit that I will go to a person with credentials as a first order of business when studying something new, that is not the same as saying that I will dismiss someone without credentials on the same topic.

My opinions and research are based on facts and research and that is not the exclusive right, privilege, or honor or someone with "credentials".

Quote:
However I would be curious to see an article or a simulation made by a qualified scientist demostrating that aliens might have visited our earth

Well, this is an interesting point. Given that we have never met aliens and that the scientific community does not acknowledge their existence, what exactly would "qualify" someone to comment on Aliens? crazy You get my point? There is no "Exobiology" credentials... and if they are, you really have to wonder exactly what qualifies someone to comment on alien presence on earth.

My point therefore is that on the subject of Aliens (like religion), credentials mean nothing since anyone can make as convincing (and provable!) an argument as some of the best mathematicians and physicists out there.

Quote:
Just to avoid misunderstanding

Tha vast majority of scientists , as far as I know , do not beleive that aliens visited our earth for the reason explained

However many scientists beleive that aliens exist, not necessary super civilizations

Exactly. I would argue that ALL scientist have to accept that the evidence does not prove anything about Alien Visitation. That same person may have an opinion or belief on the subject, but the scientist in that person has to admit that the evidence simply is not there to make a solid statement on this subject.

Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: Why_Do_I_Die] #209192
06/01/08 20:03
06/01/08 20:03
USofA
fastlane69 Offline OP
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline OP
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
Well , it looks like I had lucked out and a MOD hadnt seen my post , so I'll delete my statements before I get banned , LMAO.

Quote:
because they are cowards , and fear to fight , but at the same time , want to run their mouth , and not be held responsible for what they say , so they hide with their words.

By your own words, your statement in bold shows why you deleted your comment.

Besides, why bother when Phemox and I have your comments quoted?

Re: Vatican says aliens could exist [Re: fastlane69] #209205
06/01/08 21:33
06/01/08 21:33
U.S.
Why_Do_I_Die Offline
Warned
Why_Do_I_Die  Offline
Warned

U.S.
LOL , I deleted it because the Mods would Ban me permanently , something they shouldn't do , but thats the feminine atmosphere that plagues this forum . And again , you twist things around to change their meaning.

Page 12 of 15 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite