by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (TipmyPip, AndrewAMD, Quad, aliswee, degenerate_762), 970 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Syntax Project - 3DGS Wiki #207056
05/17/08 14:04
05/17/08 14:04
Red Dwarf
Michael_Schwarz Offline OP
Senior Expert
Michael_Schwarz  Offline OP
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Hello,

in the last time I have been working on preparing a project on the 3dgs Wiki. The name is "Syntax" and is at first a port of the 3dgs syntax reference into the wiki, but afterwards, I hope that by the help of users the information provided there will be extended and kept up to date.

We all know that the manual provided by Conitec has little mistakes everywhere, but what if we could correct those mistakes within a matter of seconds and make them visible to the everyone?

So I really hope that some enthusiast 3DGS users will participate here, and if not - I will make a complete reference, though I dont know how many decades I will need.

Anyway, any help is welcome!

More information about the project:
http://www.coniserver.net/wiki/index.php/Syntax:Index

The guidelines for new articles:
http://www.coniserver.net/wiki/index.php/Syntax:Guidelines

And an index of all articles right now(well, only two - as I didnt have too much time aswell):
http://www.coniserver.net/wiki/index.php/Category:Syntax

With this I hope I can bring a new wind into the 3dgs wiki, as I have also spend a lot of time into integrating new articles in the wiki about basic topics. But honestly, the Wiki is a mess and there would be some cleaning up needed.

Cheers
Mike

"Sometimes JCL reminds me of Notch, but more competent" ~ Kiyaku
Re: Syntax Project - 3DGS Wiki [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #207060
05/17/08 14:24
05/17/08 14:24
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
I once started such a project under "Documentation":
http://www.coniserver.net/wiki/index.php/Documentation

But I'm happy that someone else has this idea too and is putting some effort into this, I'd be glad to help.

edit: Yours looks much better than my attempt

Last edited by Xarthor; 05/17/08 14:26.
Re: Syntax Project - 3DGS Wiki [Re: Xarthor] #207086
05/17/08 16:57
05/17/08 16:57
H
HeelX Offline
Senior Expert
HeelX  Offline
Senior Expert
H

We need a better TOC design here. I highly recommend to write functions as they have to be written in LiteC (it is not C_Trace, but c_trace). The info box is poorly designed, too, because the whole function signature should be visible in one line without any line feeds. Better use a monospace font for the function syntax rather than a TTF. With a proper (bigger) info box, the definition and parameters section can be abandoned. The tables with parameter and return specifications are very hard to read in my oppinion.

Please put the related functions together in one line rather than having a list. Imagine dozens of related functions.. That would be a long list.

Remember: making a documentation is not easy. The user has to have fast and an easy to navigable access to the information. Deep and more info should be optional but always not a obstacle to the way a user reads the manual. Please do not consider to make it too different from the original manual: I think the current manual is very well done in terms of navigability and information access.

Maybe you can add a "DEP" image for "deprecated" like ent_remove, etc. and a reference to the new instruction (ptr_remove in this case).

For the examples I would consider making a snippets pool in which examples can be inserted. On a page for an instruction this example can be linked with a URL rather than placing the whole example on the page, because if users add mutliple examples, the page can be increased up to an enormous length.

Re: Syntax Project - 3DGS Wiki [Re: HeelX] #207206
05/18/08 12:41
05/18/08 12:41
Germany
Scorpion Offline
Serious User
Scorpion  Offline
Serious User

Germany
I think the Parameter-section is bad structured. I would prefer some kind of table here smile

Re: Syntax Project - 3DGS Wiki [Re: Scorpion] #207215
05/18/08 13:39
05/18/08 13:39
Red Dwarf
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Well, it's a Wiki, collaborate as much as you want here laugh

Re: Syntax Project - 3DGS Wiki [Re: Michael_Schwarz] #215885
07/13/08 21:05
07/13/08 21:05
Red Dwarf
Senior Expert
Senior Expert

Red Dwarf
Just a little bump.

Xarthor has been doing a great(!!) work the last days, I literally said "wow" when I saw all the pages he has added! A big thanks for helping here.

Aswell this post is to get some more users into trying out to collaborate here.

A bit sad that not so many are participating here, while on one had complaining that there is not enough informative stuff on the wiki and on the other hand not doing anything to improve this. Cut yourself's a slice off from Xarthor and help building up this whole thing wink

Once again, big thanks to Xarthor

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de