Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Trading Journey
by M_D. 04/26/24 20:22
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by M_D. 04/26/24 20:03
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
M1 Oversampling
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:12
Why Zorro supports up to 72 cores?
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
Eigenwerbung
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:08
MT5 bridge not working on MT5 v. 5 build 4160
by EternallyCurious. 04/25/24 20:49
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (M_D, AndrewAMD, Quad, Ayumi), 806 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11
19049 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
does god _still_ exist? when did god die? #213654
06/29/08 20:59
06/29/08 20:59
broozar Offline OP
Expert
broozar  Offline OP
Expert

ok, let's assume a greater being created our existence. by "existence" i leave it to your imagination if he/she/it created either our planet, the course of time, life, conscience, the universe, or whatever. this is not about creation myths and beliefs.

1. assuming someone, or something, created us in a certain way. what makes us/you sure that he/she/it is still alive?
2. is it important to you that he/she/it is still alive?
3. do you rather believe that God's spirit lives on in everything that surrounds us, but god itself is dead?
4. can gods die?
5. can God (he/she/it) die?
6. assuming that God is the spark that set the universe into existence, is it possible that the conversion from energy to matter is the creation itself (big bang) and thus God sacrificed himself to create the universe?
7. assuming 6 is true, will god resurrect when the universe collapes into a single point?

as this is all strongly hypothetical, i want you to express your thoughts and feelings about those questions. there is no scientific proof, nor will there be, for those. but i am curious whyt you think about it.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: broozar] #216432
07/17/08 02:52
07/17/08 02:52
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
I think it would be convenient if God didnt exist so that we could get away with our sins, but I think it is more apt to say that we are dead, rather than God...

You seem to think that none-existence and death are synonymous. In that view, all matter is alive because of the fact that it exists.

Quote:
1. assuming someone, or something, created us in a certain way. what makes us/you sure that he/she/it is still alive?
God talks to me in my soul, I feel bad for anyone whom He does not speak to.

Quote:
Sure, it is vitally important to me because God is the hope of my everyday struggle, if God doesnt exist then I only have myself to rely on.

Quote:
do you rather believe that God's spirit lives on in everything that surrounds us, but god itself is dead?
I dont know, thats kind of strange. I sort of see matter as something that is under my control, I dont see God's spirit being deposited in something I can bend or break for my own uses.

Quote:
4. can gods die?
Goes back to the definition of death, death is not non-existence. Can gods become non-existent? No, if God is the origination of matter, and matter cannot be created nor destroyed, then certainly the origination of matter cannot be destroyed.

Quote:
Simple answer. No. God is the reason for existence, you cannot have the original cause of existence become non-existent. It doesnt make sense.

Quote:
assuming that God is the spark that set the universe into existence, is it possible that the conversion from energy to matter is the creation itself (big bang) and thus God sacrificed himself to create the universe?
That makes no sense to me.

Quote:
7. assuming 6 is true, will god resurrect when the universe collapes into a single point?
This question is exponentially more confusing than the previous one.

Cool ideas, but only if you dont think too much of them, sort of like an x-men comic. grin

I think fundamentally your questions return to the comcept of infinity. We understand brith and death in the light of beginning and end, beginning and end are part of the continuum of time. Death is meaningless when there is no cessation. God live in the eternal past and the eternal future, so He never came into existence, because existence presupposed that there was ever not God. existence is meaningless without the means to bring things into existence, and God is that original cause.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: NITRO777] #216475
07/17/08 09:12
07/17/08 09:12
T
tD_Datura_v Offline
tD_Datura_v  Offline
T

weak expressions:
"A universe is like a gas bubble in a bathtub."

"In a sense, the more dense ~material1 might have just expanded, and the result may have been a bubble of less dense, lightly differing material1.
In this regard, the material1 might not have simply popped into existence."
"~material1 might be referred here lazily as soup, and if preferred, it can be considered a timeless, natural brew, free from cooks of higher consciousness and cyclic chicken-egg games."

"If gods created humanity, it seems a shame somewhat, that such deities can not perish with their flawed manifestations."

Quote:
I think it is more apt to say that we are dead

Not that it matters really, but I can agree with that.

Quote:
rather than God...

Perhaps, a god ~dies when there is not one left to remember and praise its name.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: tD_Datura_v] #216485
07/17/08 09:45
07/17/08 09:45
S
Shadow969 Offline
User
Shadow969  Offline
User
S

intresting points

for me god is not a creator, but a spirit powered by peoples faith, so that influences my answers

- my faith in god. the god exists untill someone trusts in it

- yes, sometimes faith in god helps me

3. do you rather believe that God's spirit lives on in everything that surrounds us, but god itself is dead?
-no, if god's spirit lives - god is alive

4. can gods die?
- why not?

- same as fourth point

6. assuming that God is the spark that set the universe into existence, is it possible that the conversion from energy to matter is the creation itself (big bang) and thus God sacrificed himself to create the universe?
- maybe. you can't prove that is is right or wrong, but it makes sense to me, although it contradicts my understanding of god

- it may happen, but i don't believe in it.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: broozar] #216487
07/17/08 09:53
07/17/08 09:53
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Let me also try some answers as this indeed touches infinity:

Originally Posted By: broozar

We can not be sure, but it's likely. A being that created us must be very powerful. If it died, then only by its own decision. It is unlikely that such a being died for natural causes.

Contrary to popular belief, hearing God talking in your head is not necessarily a proof that God is still alive. It could also be a hint that you should see a doctor.

Quote:

Certainly. We often tend to believe that something is not what it seems, but we hardly ever have proof. If God still existed, then our world would not be what it seems, but were controlled by a hidden being behind the stage. That would be nice to know.

Quote:
4. can gods die?

Sure. God is defined as omnipotent, so he can do everything, including die.

Quote:

No, the conversion from energy to matter could not have been the creation itself. Conversion from energy to matter happened about 380,000 years _after_ the big bang and is well understood, so it leaves no space for supernatural events.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: jcl] #216568
07/17/08 17:13
07/17/08 17:13
V
Vadim647 Offline
Vadim647  Offline
V

I totally agree with TNT's words.
Saying about conversions, all people have different mind about it.
Some people believe that universe will collapse after LHC being launced smile
(I remember that site with timer :P)

I switched to other account since marth 2010. Guess which.
Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: Vadim647] #216572
07/17/08 17:57
07/17/08 17:57
nl
F
flits Offline
User
flits  Offline
User
F

nl
i gues god can die if he/she/it exist

like if you create a game on a computer, you let run the game and make sure its running for more then 100 years whitout care
before the hundred years are over you die but the game still exist
the players are caring about you but you already died but they dont know about you
but they feel that they have been programd to do somthing so they do

another point is that its made up in our mind

so if everyone dont know god, god dies because nobody knows it
the same is white the devil
only i think that devil is the onther side of god so if nobody knows the devil god while die because the devil dieded

srry for my bad english i hope you get my point of view

"empty"
Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: flits] #216584
07/17/08 18:59
07/17/08 18:59
sebcrea Offline
sebcrea  Offline

If there is a God I don't think he would care about our believes. Doesn't he have some freetime just leaning back and chill, no of course not he is just waiting for our ridicoules prayers. I believe in the universe seeing it, I don't know adds alot of credibility.

So if there is a God and he still lives, why would he care about a little planet with creatures on it, seems to me that the fantasy of a father figure in the sky is just one more arrogant attempt to make us special because we are created out of someones will. Nice fantasy but the reality is not Gods creation, he will not help you count on close people and yourself.

How come if someone is talking about God people say that can be and if he is talking about aliens and Ufo's people say he's nuts.

It's our fantasy and it will stay, someone mentioned games here thats what we are doing God hasn't hepled me create some content by now. The problem with religion is that most of them have a allmighty God who is not good at handling money.

I say I don't know what created this universe, the religious people make up stories thats how it works. So is God still alive the universe is still there so he is alive but only if God is the universe.

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: sebcrea] #216619
07/17/08 21:16
07/17/08 21:16
broozar Offline OP
Expert
broozar  Offline OP
Expert

maybe it's time to answer my own questions...

about 1., i'm not sure at all, nor do i know. but...
2. ..it's not important to me. all i know about god comes from stories that are some thousands of years old. stories that include christ, his teachings and beliefs. christ is some kind of archetype about how mankind could be, so i care about his actions, his teachings, his view on the world. i do not know, neither does it increase my respect for christ, if he had godlike powers or was god's son. it's his deeds that make him some kind of guide.
furthermore, it makes me more aware of myself. i am solely responsible for my actions, noone is going to forgive me anything if i fold my hands.
3. i think that's likely, it's like our own life: we live on in the genes of our children, in the works we created on earth, on the ideas we thought, in the hearts we moved.
4. i suppose so
5. question should be, why can't he? if something can't die, it's not alive at all. is god alive? what's life anyway?
6. i like this picture. it makes god the creator of our universe, but explains things like evolution, our responsibility on earth etc.
7. assuming that the universe will collaps one day... unlikely. but it's a nice picture, too. the eternal circle of like is finally completed and starts anew...

i agree on sebcrea's "how could we be so arrogant to believe that god still cares about us personally".

Re: does god _still_ exist? when did god die? [Re: broozar] #216681
07/18/08 09:41
07/18/08 09:41
T
tD_Datura_v Offline
tD_Datura_v  Offline
T

If the root is an assumption, why should the observer follow to a place of certainty, and find sureness?
A simple formal answer for that question might be: "NO."
The assumption doesn't seem to override all other elements, and the result still appears to be nearly nil in most directions.
An answer might be "Mostly NO, unless a relevant concept should be slain in minds."
Believing that isn't a requirement here, so an answer might be "NO, for the moment."
4. can gods die?
Is this (still) an imagination exercise?
For that, try: "If works of fiction are to be enjoyed, ...SURE."
This looks somewhat like a repeat.
For god's sake, are separate answers still ~needed for polytheists and monotheists?
"DITTO."
"NO, like a grand majority of whatnots, it's completely impossible, and particularly when the root is not an assumption."
7. assuming 6 is true, will god resurrect when the universe collapses into a single point?
"YES, given the solid assumption base, in the spirit of fair conversational play, that is almost a certainty."

Quote:
i want you to express your thoughts and feelings about those questions.

Please jest no further. I don't have any thoughts and feelings of my own, I must simulate and borrow those of others.

I like some of what sebcrea posted also. (Yes, seriously.)

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite