by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, 7th_zorro), 923 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: Blade280891] #219333
08/02/08 03:36
08/02/08 03:36
Everett, Washington
G
ghostryder Offline
ghostryder  Offline
G

Everett, Washington
Ummm I tend to disagree a large RPG ala oblivion can't reasonably be done by one person. Take a look at here: http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/

This is a sole person who has 6 RPG's out there- which by the way are larger in scoup than Oblivion and far more involved. The difference here is the graphics of course, and in Oblivion's case a lot of voice acting- but forgoing that needless eyecandy one could still duplicate the size and complexity of the quests and gameworld in 3DS minus all the wizbang shader and fancy high poly models and compromise with independant level of 3d graphics and get something out in 2 to 3 years. Not 40.

Personally I'd do a game closer to Daggerfall than Oblivion- as the later is true to the series whereas Oblivion was a massive dumbdown for the console crowd- in fact bring back the more mature and complex system of Arena or Daggerfall and you'd have a wide open market of old school hardcore RPG fans- which care more for that than simplistic eyecandy Oblivion. I'd also include interesting quests- something Bethseda has never done well.

Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: ghostryder] #219335
08/02/08 03:42
08/02/08 03:42
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
hah, that great, i used to play blades of exile a game that i assumed i was the only one that I'd ever know that played it....

Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: lostclimate] #219342
08/02/08 07:23
08/02/08 07:23
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Spiderweb is a small but professional software house, they are around since a long time
Their turnover is in the range of milions usd
I agree with Blade
Dont set too ambitious targets

Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: AlbertoT] #219356
08/02/08 11:10
08/02/08 11:10
Finland
V
Vilde Offline OP
Vilde  Offline OP
V

Finland
Okay well I think i'm putting this RGP thing in the corner for a while... I must do something easier; Maybe a game where's a simple robot thing that shoots other robots with laser gun ? grin

OR maybe a small "Zelda game" (as training) as I like them and I have some zelda models that I just would have to animate...

Last edited by Vilde; 08/02/08 11:23.
Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: Vilde] #219427
08/02/08 15:30
08/02/08 15:30
Kasey_Dee Offline
Kasey_Dee  Offline

If you wish to do an rpg do not throw it out. Start with one small segment of your world and build that world and quests.

For an example say you wanted to rebuild Oblivion. I would start with the Imperial City. Not all buildings are enterable at this point but add locked doors that can be opened with interiors in the future.

A7 Pro does have modding capabilities so you can use this to add on other worlds or just add on to the master file. Either way you want to get a playable game out there and while people are playing that keep adding sections of your world. The thing about adding on to a master file is people would have to start over with their character instead of adding on.

So maybe instead of completing the IC you can start on building one of the outlying cities or the area around the IC.

If you want to use C-Sript or Lite-C there are plenty of rpg elements to get your started. Go through the user contributions and Lite-C user contributions and you will find scripts for inventory and other rpg elements. Make sure to give credit where credit is due. There is also things that can be purchased to help you along in your game. There are model packs in the user contributions and also for sale. Use what is out there as it will cut down on some of the work.

If you know your weak points then hire someone to handle those. I have hired programmers and am looking for someone paid work to do the human character modelling for me. I have several membership subscriptions to texture and model sites to save me some time.

All is not lost for rpgs. You just have to start on a small segment of your world and build out from there. I am doing a rpg. If you want ideas or can not find resources pm me.

Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: Kasey_Dee] #219453
08/02/08 17:13
08/02/08 17:13
Germany
R
RedPhoenix Offline
User
RedPhoenix  Offline
User
R

Germany
You can do an rpg, if you want to, but don't take oblivion as example. In my opinion (although I like some aspects of oblivion) I don't think that it is the best example of what an rpg should be like. An rpg doesn't need a great world of freedom and choices nor does it need a high end grafic system. In fact Oblivion needs these elements, as it offers nothing else of the elements I love the genre RPG for: A dynamic, exciting story that shows the real aspects of character simulation and fantasy and real charcters that have a meaning and can create real emotions, not only a world full of stupid models with a lot of skills, on which nobody really cares.

Try to build a small but exciting world with places that have a meaning showing that you tried to build a real, living story line and not only a great empty grafic galery. Don't build up a complex character system with thousands of skills, values options and items, but give your character and any of his characteristics a real meaning for your gameplay.
I could imagine an RPG with a world with dimensions of a small village and 20 characters living in it, that might still be more interesting and exciting than oblivion ever could be.

(This of course is only my understanding of the genre RPG, others may define it completly different)

Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: Kasey_Dee] #219454
08/02/08 17:21
08/02/08 17:21
Everett, Washington
G
ghostryder Offline
ghostryder  Offline
G

Everett, Washington
Spiderweb is a small but professional software house, they are around since a long time
Their turnover is in the range of milions usd
I agree with Blade
Dont set too ambitious targets

Oh please. Spiderweb software is Jeff Vogel. Period. They are right here in seattle Washington in my neck of the woods. His two friends Mariann Krizsan and Linda Strout do the web and bookeeping. It's Jeff doing the games- and BTW if you want to include the Exile series add 3 more RPG's to his credit.

Kasey has givin a hint of how he manages it all on his own. Right on the webite says : We buy lots of graphics and pay well (lump sum payments, full rights, no royalties). Please send us a link to a web page with your portfolio or samples of your work.

Or if you perfer a more direct example actually using 3dGameStudio take a peek here http://www.direct2drive.com/3/460/product/Buy-Daemonica-Download

Daemonica if you remember the AUM interview is 2 guys. It's not a strick RPG- more of an adventure- but represents the size of a gameworld two guys have actually done in the A6 engine that could be pulled off by any other guy or two.

Now granted I wouldn't recommend a massive RPG for a first learning project but once that learning curve is past I see no reason to forego the idea. You purchase assets here and there as money allows while you brainstorm and plan the world, combat system and write quests and so on.

Independantly I don't know if I'd go 1st person 3d ala Oblivion. Graphic wise a Bauldur's Gate approach is easier to pull as the top down view hides a lot of lacking graphics. Daemonica suceeds by taking this approach. 1st person I think the game would have suffered. Still on the flip side people still download and play Duex Ex dispite the dated graphics so I suppose 3d 1st person could be done but overall with independant art justs looks more acceptable using the top down approach.

But there's two examples it can be done. Do a couple of smaller projects to get the system down and once comfortable go for it. Don't let the nay-sayers put you off. Thuer approach is like a 3d shooter- which I think is silly. Shelves are full of corporate eye candy 3d shooters your never be able to compete against. Independants need to fill the gaps that the big houses ignore. Mainly wargames and hardcore RPG's that are targeted at a more mature audience as well as old style adventure games that most shy against doing- much like the golden years of the 80's and 90s when Arena, Fallout, Darklands and others dominated the scene. (all games you wouldn't let a console kid near BTW and exactly why Oblivion Fails as a true followup in the series. )

Give me a true RPG game like the original Fallout and I'd buy it bad graphics and all. Give me another poor copy of Doom and you couldn't pay me to play it.

Last edited by ghostryder; 08/02/08 17:28.
Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: ghostryder] #219461
08/02/08 17:43
08/02/08 17:43
Blade280891 Offline
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline
Serious User

One thing i would say , is that you shouldnt start a big project until later, this is because i believe that it is more fun for a begginer to make lots of small games that vary in genre , to help gain experience in all genres to see what you enjoy making the most , and also to increase your skill in game making.

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: ghostryder] #219465
08/02/08 18:03
08/02/08 18:03
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: ghostryder

Oh please. Spiderweb software is Jeff Vogel....

I quote from the book " Secrets of sages " pag 368
Mr Vogel said :
" You wont' get rich ...but you can make a very very good living "
and then
According to Vogel his games are making six figures a year

Not a milionair but definitly a pro

Last edited by AlbertoT; 08/02/08 18:27.
Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: RedPhoenix] #219471
08/02/08 18:25
08/02/08 18:25
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Originally Posted By: RedPhoenix

An rpg doesn't need ...

Ohhh at last ...
An rpg , I would say a game , in general, should be focused on an intriguing game plot
That's enough with such exasperation for graphics and special effects
Take for example the strategic games
By the way they are by far the most popular game gendres for PC
FPS are popular on console but on PC strategic games rule
Well, even strategic games are full of special effects , the result ?
a bloody confusion
Did anyone play the old Dune ?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de