by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Quad), 843 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: litec-sql dll (mysql for A7) [Re: frazzle] #219507
08/02/08 22:43
08/02/08 22:43
Oxy Offline
Oxy  Offline

thanks,
could be basically used to get a multiplayer server list then, or?

Re: litec-sql dll (mysql for A7) [Re: Joozey] #219540
08/03/08 03:50
08/03/08 03:50
Netherlands
D3D Offline
Serious User
D3D  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Joozey. I have not tested your release, but can you tell me if your plugin has replaced my updated mysql dll contribution? If so I don't have to continue working on that project. And can use time for mp on the linux.

Re: litec-sql dll (mysql for A7) [Re: D3D] #219554
08/03/08 08:23
08/03/08 08:23
Antwerp,Belgium
frazzle Offline
Expert
frazzle  Offline
Expert

Antwerp,Belgium
@ Oxy:

That would indeed be a possible way to achieve a list of servers wink wink

Cheers

Frazzle

Antec® Case
Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® i7 975 Quad Core
8 GB RAM DDR3
SSD OCZ®-VERTEX2 3.5 x4 ; HD 600 GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 295 Memory 1795GB
Re: litec-sql dll (mysql for A7) [Re: frazzle] #219755
08/04/08 12:37
08/04/08 12:37
Netherlands
Joozey Offline OP
Expert
Joozey  Offline OP
Expert

Netherlands
Blast, everyone started commenting this weekend.
Anyhow, I managed to put all the results in a multidimensional array, but it only features string types, no integers. So you'd need to convert to a number manually yourself. I'm still trying some things out so no new release yet.

You can also link to your own database with the query db_connect(), instead of making use of the test database placed on my own server.

Also, it didn't appear to work if you do not have libmysql.dll. This library you can download from internet, but I already included it in the next release. I saw Destop did the same for his mysql plugin.

@atomix:
Originally Posted By: atomix
MySQL is not interested in Game Development, and their license for using the dll in your own distributable program was over $10,000.00 USD
Is your point that I'm not using the open source library in a legal way? I'm using a C API which appears to be free of charge. Aside that, you still need a MySQL database to get things running. So they make profits anyway.
Quote:
It is only free to web hosters and not to software developers
And I make use of the services of my webhoster, so what's the problem? If there is, I'd like to know but I think there's no problem at all smile.

@oxy & frazzle:
Quote:
send that data over a dll which Joozey already made for you
Why yes, but the functionality to connect to your own database currently lacks grin you can currently only connect to a test database on my server. But when I'm done with the new version it's possible to use your own database as well.

For a project I was trying to get a list of servers done, and I practically managed to do so. You'd still actually need the use of cron jobs (script execution every x seconds on the server) to clean the database of false addresses. If your game crashed while it was on the server list, your game did not have the chance to remove itself from the list again, so you get some garbage in the list. Of course this doesn't occur alot, but you need something like that to keep the database clean. (another solution would be to remove the address when a client tries to connect to it).

@Frazzle:
Thanks for the kind words as always ^^.

@D3D:
I think all I have done is creating a different way of receiving the data, which A7 made possible. But I actually didn't try out your solution. I just wanted to try if I could do this, and baked it into a DLL for the heck of it ^^.

Last edited by Joozey; 08/04/08 12:45.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: litec-sql dll (mysql for A7) [Re: Joozey] #219766
08/04/08 13:41
08/04/08 13:41
Netherlands
D3D Offline
Serious User
D3D  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Joozey it's 'easy' once you get started and so much fun to play/learn while working with MySQL. My plugin (original by Destop) does not have a lot of functions, but most important are included for Litec and WDL. Have got many response on when i'd continue work on it though I made choice to wait for Conitec released stable Litec for A7 and very bussy with sth on linux. So I thought lucky me you will takeover.

Good explanation for the legal part on reply above. Furthermore the danger when cripple db's. That's why you need backup and cronjobs smile

All the best,

Rick

Re: litec-sql dll (mysql for A7) [Re: Joozey] #219935
08/05/08 17:36
08/05/08 17:36
Eugene, OR. USA
ATOMIX Offline
ATOMIX  Offline

Eugene, OR. USA
Joozey: I greatly appreciate your reply . As long as you don't distribute any of MySQL's code you are fine. But if your dll uses any of their dll's or lib files you better talk to them and get a license in writing. I assume you are creating a game to distribute to the piblic. Listen to a guy with over 30 years in the programming industry. Everyone is sue happy and the worse the economy gets the more they sue.

I still can't get your system to work as all of my MySQL databases are on external hosted web servers and I need to be able to include a link to them in order to open them. I refer you to the php statement required to connect:
Code:
$db=mysql_connect($hostname, $loginName, $loginPassword);

In other words my databases are not local and are spread out over several servers with their own host domain names like mysql190.secureserver.net with different domain names for our different web sites.
We need a way to access any of the servers.

ATOMIX Productions
ATOMIX Group LLC
http://theatomizer.com
A7 Pro 7.50
Re: litec-sql dll (mysql for A7) [Re: ATOMIX] #219940
08/05/08 18:14
08/05/08 18:14
Netherlands
D3D Offline
Serious User
D3D  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Take care with PHP/MySQL on those shared hosting plans. I would recommend read essential php security by chris shiflett. One of the books that made me switch from shared to dedicated at once.

Now back to the legal part. You can distribute the required dll's with your software, but you need to put proper c&c in your credit/copyright. At least this is what has been told to me when I worked on the plugin from Destop. I refer here to the community release of MySQL and no other products.

Atomix. I don't understand why you need different MySQL servers. I guess you need them as fallback? Maybe you can write a polling script to check if the server is alive and if not try the next one. So with the line of code above you should be able to get a 0 or 1 and go from there.

smile
Re: litec-sql dll (mysql for A7) [Re: D3D] #219971
08/05/08 21:51
08/05/08 21:51
Netherlands
Joozey Offline OP
Expert
Joozey  Offline OP
Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: ATOMIX
Joozey: I greatly appreciate your reply . As long as you don't distribute any of MySQL's code you are fine. But if your dll uses any of their dll's or lib files you better talk to them and get a license in writing. I assume you are creating a game to distribute to the piblic. Listen to a guy with over 30 years in the programming industry. Everyone is sue happy and the worse the economy gets the more they sue.
It doesn't bake the libmysql dll in, it just functions as a bridge to lite-c. You will need to have the mysql.dll located at your game folder yourself. So if you plan on distributing a game using libmysql.dll (downloadable from the mysql site), you will need to get the license (if there is such a license at all), not me wink.

Originally Posted By: ATOMIX
I still can't get your system to work as all of my MySQL databases are on external hosted web servers and I need to be able to include a link to them in order to open them. I refer you to the php statement required to connect:
Because the current downloadable version only connects to a database on my server. I was planning to let people who don't have a server themselves register their own small database at my server, and then my dll would connect to it when they use the authentication details I gave them. But a function to connect to an external database was requested earlier, so I implemented that in a new version. Which I didn't release yet :P. So no wonder you can't get it to work to your own database.

Originally Posted By: D3D
Take care with PHP/MySQL on those shared hosting plans. I would recommend read essential php security by chris shiflett. One of the books that made me switch from shared to dedicated at once.
I'm not sure if I understood. Which shared hosting plans?

Last edited by Joozey; 08/05/08 21:52.

Click and join the 3dgs irc community!
Room: #3dgs
Re: litec-sql dll (mysql for A7) [Re: Joozey] #220122
08/06/08 01:15
08/06/08 01:15
Netherlands
D3D Offline
Serious User
D3D  Offline
Serious User

Netherlands
Joozey. If one has his/her site hosted with many other sites on the same server, this is called shared hosting. I guess you already know that. The security issue is that any other person on same server can for instance, but is not limited to sniff data.

Another example. One would think that their php script source can't be seen by others. Really in most cases this is false. A bad person with access to the server has also right to execute php and thus able to read your script's source in plain text.

Aside from the above. If the bad person download the game and connect to the MySQL server, he/she could use wireshark to sniff what is send as well. You could encrypt data which makes it a little harder for the wanabe-hacker though.

Re: litec-sql dll (mysql for A7) [Re: D3D] #220148
08/06/08 05:07
08/06/08 05:07
Alberta, Canada
William Offline
Expert
William  Offline
Expert

Alberta, Canada
I'm not quite sure if I understand this. So if I use this .dll to access my database online from A7, and publicly release the game with this .dll in it, would there be any cause for concern?

Check out Silas. www.kartsilas.com

Hear my band Finding Fire - www.myspace.com/findingfire

Daily dev updates - http://kartsilas.blogspot.com/
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  adoado, checkbutton, mk_1, Perro 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de