by jcl. 04/26/24 11:09
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (7th_zorro, degenerate_762, AndrewAMD, ozgur), 774 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: Blade280891] #219635
08/03/08 18:25
08/03/08 18:25
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
why would you need map entities as doors blade?

Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: Xarthor] #219636
08/03/08 18:27
08/03/08 18:27
Blade280891 Offline
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline
Serious User

It says in the tutorial and other plces to use map entities as doors, as in moving doors not static ones.

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: Kasey_Dee] #219637
08/03/08 18:29
08/03/08 18:29
Kasey_Dee Offline
Kasey_Dee  Offline

Here are some places to get free 3D character models. You can edit the meshes to make them medieval.

Turbosquid Do a search for characters and you can select within your price range as well.

Terminal26 has some free low poly but they are not medieval. You can use them as a starting point.

Make Human is a free human character mesh maker but is high poly as well but can be run through a poly reducer. If you wish to use this the polies are in the mouth basically so run it through a polygon reducer and then go through and take out a lot of that mouth detail you do not need. Action3D is an excellent polygon reducer. I am very pleased with the results it gives.

I did a google search for 3D model free human and came up with a lot of resources. Be sure they can import in to MED or Milkshape if you purchase that and are not too high poly if you do not have a good polygon reducer.

Expensive methods

If you can afford it and want some good 3D character models and it is not your strong point you might want to hire that work out.

There is also Face Gen but I would not use it as per the morphing as it is too high poly for A7. I have other plans on how to use it with A7.

Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: Blade280891] #219657
08/03/08 20:42
08/03/08 20:42
Everett, Washington
G
ghostryder Offline
ghostryder  Offline
G

Everett, Washington
He declared in that book that his games sell 6 figures a year ( 100.000 - 900.000 usd )
He has 10 new games in his catalogues
If I take his words literally we are not far away from a turnover ( annual revenues of his company , not number of copies of course ! ) in terms of milion dollars

Should his turnover be of " only " (sic) hundreds thousand dollars ..well in my opinion he his a pro
The difference between mr Vogel ( a pro ) and me ( an amateur)is :

He can afford to spend the whole day in game programming ( me some hours a week )
He has 20 years experience in game programming ( me just 3 - 4 years)

Consequently I dont try to do what mr Vogel does ( not to mention Oblvion )
I prefer to focus on small casual games

This is my 2 cents suggestion to the newbies

Again we pretty much know how he's doing. He's selling about 10k sales - 15k sales- $300.000 dollar range. My problem with your post is you want to dismiss him as an example one can do an RPG in A6 because of this. Nonesense. Mr. Vogel at one point wasn't making any money, just like you and me, and thankfully he never had anyone telling him to avoid massive RPG's because he was broke, alone and wasn't a pro. But hey, he persisted, created exile- which saw two sequels. If you never played exile try it. It's about as massive and complex as you'd want. And he did that broke with no time other than off time from his job.

Sure today he makes a good living because he was successful. But you and me are in the EXACT same place as Mr.Vogel was before his first release. In fact we have many more advantages. We already have a stable engine which he had to build. We have a much larger art pipeline than he's ever enjoyed in that 2d .bmp map world he's games are done in. There's no Tourbosquid for him to shop. No code snips in AUM or on a forum, no texture packs and no way to auto compile into an EXE.

His ONLY advantage was he had no one there telling him he couldn't do it. "No you can't do a big RPG. Only pros do that! do tetris!"

He is an example one can tackle a RPG as a loner and succeed as well as start two other RPG series and suceed in them as well.

His games will always be limited as the 2d graphics are so ancient. We on the other hand can easily top them. We are in Fact in a better position as our 3d engine will open up more customers that would never touch that 2d tile RPG.

I say do some small projects to learn then go full board out. You certainly can do a RPG and damn good one and the word 'pro' is meaningless. Be thankful your not one- as you'd then be likely hamstrung by that bighouse funding you that 'tells you' what kind of game to do and what audience to target.

Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: ghostryder] #219854
08/04/08 23:38
08/04/08 23:38
North Europe
D
DeepReflection Offline
DeepReflection  Offline
D

North Europe
@Vilde You have taken up a path that can be really interesting but you MUST spend a lot of time to learn and understand how to achieve what you want. As stated by the guys before (if you summon all the wise words) of course you CAN make an Oblivion clone but are you prepared to loose your girlfriend, work, grades or family in the process? It's all about time and effort.

Lots of people have played a plethora of games and thought, Hey I could do this!
Well it's not that simple, the things you as a gamer sees is sort of the top of the iceberg. It looks so simple when you play, some mods or tweaks that you find and install or even tweak a bit more indulge people that making games is a piece of cake, the truth is far from it.

Take time to read this, that I found a while ago: Demystifing the Art of Video Games

I will not discourage you, but you must be aware that creating a big RPG system as like Oblivion or Morrowind will take time!

Have you made or used some of all the mods to Oblivion? Are you aware of the separation of mesh, textures, animations and scripts? This is parts that you have to invent or develop when you use the 3D Gamestudio (or what ever else game engine you choose). Lots of code can be found on this forum and others, but still you must know how to code c-script or lite-c.

Secondly if you want to be successful you must think out a new or different approach to the game theme, another Oblivion, Two Worlds, The Witcher or similar will drown in the shadows of these games if it can't show up something new or thrilling.

Third, It don't need to be in global size, start with a few rooms or buildings only. And another sort of fast way to achieve great things, prove that you are capable with some codings and/or demos, then for certain other people will consider you for teaming up with them, if your goals are the same.

Whoever has the gold makes the rules.
Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: DeepReflection] #219856
08/05/08 01:09
08/05/08 01:09
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
"yer, but you need to know , map entities need to act as doors, i think"

that makes no sense, I'd use models.... were are you getting this from blade, using map entities is a horrible idea...

Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: lostclimate] #219860
08/05/08 01:41
08/05/08 01:41
Blade280891 Offline
Serious User
Blade280891  Offline
Serious User

The manual i think , i read it there and in the WED tutorial

My Avatar Randomness V2

"Someone get me to the doctor, and someone call the nurse
And someone buy me roses, and someone burned the church"
Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: Blade280891] #219927
08/05/08 17:14
08/05/08 17:14
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
those are tutorials to explain how wed works, they dont necessarily explain the most efficient way to do things. for a door, most of the time a model is a much better idea.

Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: Blade280891] #219932
08/05/08 17:25
08/05/08 17:25
Everett, Washington
G
ghostryder Offline
ghostryder  Offline
G

Everett, Washington
Secondly if you want to be successful you must think out a new or different approach to the game theme, another Oblivion, Two Worlds, The Witcher or similar will drown in the shadows of these games if it can't show up something new or thrilling.

Indeed this is true of any type of game. Coming up with the setting, the world, the intire presentation that has to be 'yours' and not a poor carbon copy. In RPG's the setting and the main story and related quests have to interesting. You have to get the player to 'roleplay' and stay engaged. Quite frankly Oblivion fails in that in my opinion and succeeding in that area is easier said than done.

Talented writing really comes in here. Unlike many other types of games like puzzle games here your almost relying on talents in other fields. Now if your the next stephen King or have the next AD&D system in your head your be one step ahead.

Take a look at games you really liked and try to analyze what exactly they did that you enjoyed. For me Fallout got me in several areas. It was top down- something I really don't like in RPGs yet it succeeded. First the combat had a strategic element. Like Betrayal at Krondor or the old Gold box series it wasn't a mindless clickfest ala Oblivion. Secondly the setting worked. Dark and harsh. It satisfied the sci-fi fan in me. The disney King Aurther pretty world of oblivion doesn't. This by the way is in drastic conflict with the series. Daggerfall had a dark world much as The Wicther had. Morrowind had a very Alien feel. Here the eye candy actually works against the game for those famaliar with the series.

Thirdly the writing and engaging quests of Fallout. They 'fit' with the world. So did the options. Pimping your wife out for Bottle caps was to be expected. The quests were interesting and had interesting twists. Sorry but though I find the quests in Oblivion a bit better than Morrowind as a whole they are mostly boring fed ex deliver type quests. I really didn't care if I ever finished the game. You have to do better. Fallout was a game I had to finish to see how things turned out.

In a RPG you better have this stuff before anything 'game' is thought up in my opinion. If not then your need a writing partner that does. This is the one area you really HAVE to be good at. If you are players will forgive other elements like poor graphics and even poor game mechanics if the overally world and story engages them.

Re: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion-like RPG possible? [Re: ghostryder] #219965
08/05/08 21:07
08/05/08 21:07
Finland
V
Vilde Offline OP
Vilde  Offline OP
V

Finland
Deepreflection, I think you're absolutely right; Making RPG takes really much time, and that's why the RPG I am making will propably never be as great as Oblivion... And as Ghostryder said I should do, I think I have made some analyzing in Oblivion. The things I enjoy the most are the quests, many small objects (kind of detail) and well the skill system/fun skills. Of course the worlds size is fun also but It's not the most important thing.

By the way, to the textures... I think I can handle them; I've practiced with Doom 2 texture and monster editing (and creating new things from scratch). Of course it won't be the same as big textures (Doom textures are VERY small).

I can also now handle the 3d models fine (not human models) but only hard thing is the skinning as the wed's skinning tool is terrible sometimes...

I think one major thing in this is that I REALLY want to make games (I always have wanted). Propably will be my career in the future.

All for now. Soon I will post a pic of a stone road texture if someone could tell me does it look anything. Maybe one sword model too laugh.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de