Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Help with plotting multiple ZigZag
by degenerate_762. 04/30/24 23:23
M1 Oversampling
by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/28/24 09:55
Zorro Trader GPT
by TipmyPip. 04/27/24 13:50
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/26/24 11:18
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,238 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Re: The BIble Fails ... [Re: PHeMoX] #226630
09/10/08 16:05
09/10/08 16:05
C
ChrisTodd Offline
ChrisTodd  Offline
C

PHeMoX,
"All I'm asking here is 'why' do you think so." Divine Revelation- the bible. The same revelation that gives us understanding of how logic and science are possible.
"I personally believe death is the only real penalty we can get" You cannot know this or anything about the afterlife and judgment without revelation. But if you reject the bible about these things you will also reject the justification for logic and science and morality.
"What exactly do you mean here?" I mean that your worldview cannot account for logic and science etc. You can score a 100% on a math test but in your philosophy this is not possible- therefore your philosophy is wrong and should be scrapped. The Christian can explain how a finite, particular, changing person can use the universal, infinite, invarient laws of logic accurately. In your worldview this is an impossibility, it doesn't make sense, and this is why your worldview should be obviously in error to you.

Re: The BIble Fails ... [Re: ChrisTodd] #226638
09/10/08 16:33
09/10/08 16:33
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
I am stating that yours is not logical because it cannot account for the laws of logic and science and your worldview should be scrapped.

Quote:
But non-Christians cannot account for math and logic and their ability to use math and logic.

If by account you mean "To provide an explanation or justification for" then I don't take your meaning for my worldview most assuredly has explanations for how to use math and logic.

It is religion (all religions) that has no accounting of even the most basic mathematical statments, such as the different types of algebra and trigonometric functions or the basics of induction, deduction, or abduction.

Re: The BIble Fails ... [Re: ChrisTodd] #226640
09/10/08 16:42
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
The Christian can explain how a finite, particular, changing person can use the universal, infinite, invarient laws of logic accurately.

What are these universal, infinite, invarient laws of logic?
Please list them without scripture for if they are "universal", then you should be able to paraphrase these laws independent of the source.

For example, if I were to explain the LHC's Higgs Boson experiement, I would rely on english and visuals and not present a equations that physicists use to describe the event. This is possible because physics is universal and thus can be explained in many ways aside from equations.

Likewise, if these laws are universal, you should be able to list these laws in many ways asided from scripture.

Re: The BIble Fails ... [Re: fastlane69] #226641
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

Christtodd, maybe I may add a quote by a famous Christian?

"Revelation can only be considered valid for the original recipient. When subsequently communicated by the recipient to a second person, it ceases to be a revelation but rather becomes a hearsay second hand account, and consequently they are not obliged to believe it." (Thomas Paine)

So, a revelation can indeed give you the feeling that you understand how logic and science works, or that God is talking in your head, or whatever. But as this can not be communicated to other persons its a poor argument in a discussion.

I'm afraid when you want to talk about logic or science you must use logical or scientific arguments, your "revelation" wont do.

Re: The BIble Fails ... [Re: fastlane69] #226643
09/10/08 16:44
09/10/08 16:44
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
You can score a 100% on a math test but in your philosophy this is not possible- therefore your philosophy is wrong and should be scrapped.

Huh???? confused

Re: The BIble Fails ... [Re: Spirit] #226644
09/10/08 16:46
09/10/08 16:46
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Quote:
Divine Revelation- the bible. The same revelation that gives us understanding of how logic and science are possible.

Quote:
I'm afraid when you want to talk about logic or science you must use logical or scientific arguments, your "revelation" wont do.

Oh, I missed this. Hmmmm...

Just to be sure, is what Spirit saying true? That god revealed to you a new math and logic and thus that is true above what 99.9% of the rest of the world call math and logic?

I suppose if you answer my previous post asking you to list these laws it will answer this queston.

Re: The BIble Fails ... [Re: Spirit] #226645
09/10/08 16:59
Oklahoma
S
Schultz Offline
Schultz  Offline
S

Oklahoma
1Co 2:4-8 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power: That your faith should not stand in the wisdom of men, but in the power of God. Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to naught: But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory: Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.

Re: The BIble Fails ... [Re: fastlane69] #226646
Spirit Offline

Spirit  Offline

Well the rules of logic that we use are listed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_deduction

Afraid, no single Bible reference in the whole article. Logic seems to be 100% Atheist. grin

Re: The BIble Fails ... [Re: Schultz] #226653
09/10/08 17:25
09/10/08 17:25
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:
Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world
I think the best wisdom and logic here is to stay far away from these types of discussions. But I understand that we get sucked into them from time to time...I am guilty of these silly ramblings at times also... grin

I can assure that the Bible does not fail on any test, and is true regardless of all the vain opinions of men that seem to spawn up like weeds everywhere.

Re: The BIble Fails ... [Re: Spirit] #226658
09/10/08 17:54
09/10/08 17:54
C
ChrisTodd Offline
ChrisTodd  Offline
C

Everyone,
Due to the high volume of similar replies let me say that the laws of logic (however many you stipulate) are self verifying. What you all are failing to realize is that this does not make sense without the God of the bible, Jesus Christ. That is your brains which are material manifesting immaterial laws. Your finite brains manifesting infinite laws. Your changing brains manifesting unchanging laws of logic. This is what we expcet within Christian understanding. This is absolutely impossible within your framework. The fact that you are having so much trouble understanding the dilemma is instructive.

I am not stating that people don't use the laws of logic and can't name them, they must because God made them in his image, and he 'put wisdom in the inward parts'. God says let us reason together. You are taking credit for your minds ability to use logic. Also the existence of logic you take advantage of but reject the source of logic- Jesus Christ.

SIn is corrupting your minds- and pride will keep you from acknowledging this. I am trying to bring it to your attention; that God is directly impressed upon all of your thoughts every moment and you reject him continually, you do not like to retain him in your knowledge. And to justify your rejection you make God out into an image that everyone would reject a corruptible man.

The same thing with science and morality. Science needs nature to be uniform and this is exactly what can only happen with the omnipotent power of God not random chance. The invisible things of God are clearly seen being understood by the things that are made even his eternal power and Godhead so that all of you are without excuse.
You claim the God of the bible is immoral and yet morality is nonsense in your worldview without the God of the bible. In short your minds are defiled and you are rejecting God every moment and he will judge everyone of us. It is appointed unto man once to die and after this the judgment. Your only hope is Jesus Christ dying to forgive your sins and save you from deception and delusion. His resurrection from the dead is your only hope.
You guys better quit wasting all the time God has given you following sophistry, and science falsely so called. You will die very soon.

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite