by 3run. 03/01/24 19:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Edgar_Herrera, VoroneTZ, Akow), 973 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sakolin, rajesh7827, juergen_wue, NITRO_FOREVER, jack0roses
19043 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Doors? (Not CSG) #230111
10/02/08 21:42
10/02/08 21:42
A
Angelus1818 Offline OP
Angelus1818  Offline OP
A

Hello!

I find myself asking quite a simple question, yet I don't know the answer to. I just found a bunch of great Sci-Fi textures around the web at great Resolution. Some of them are textures of doors. This got me thinking...I have never made a functional door before! Recently I have learned how to CSG subtract and create a doorway, but I am unsure how you create a function door. Here is what I'm going for...

You know how in start trek (or a-lot of movies/shows) When they walk up to a door it slides open to both right and left directions? Well this is what I want. But I am confused as how you accomplish this. Do you make a doorway with CSG subtract and somehow apply the texture in the air? lol sorry I just don't know. Or do you make an actual door model with sliding animations? Could someone please clarify the process for me and maybe point out a tutorial?

I thank you for your time. Also one more question...
How do you add triggers in Game studio? Like in other game engines I've used it's as simple as placing a virtual trigger down that the player walks into. I only ask because I assume I would need a trigger to make the door open and close by itself.

Thanks agin, bye!

Re: Doors? (Not CSG) [Re: Angelus1818] #230120
10/02/08 23:03
10/02/08 23:03
C
christian Offline
christian  Offline
C

You need to construct an "entity" to make your door. The door is usually a "map entity" though you can use a model. You have to build your door separately and then compile it as a map entity. You have to set up your door properly so that it will pivot around the proper axis. You import your door into your level, position it and then assign it an action. The action is code that you either write yourself or use the template codes. If you want a sliding door you assign it a "lift" code.
The wed tutorial gives you more detail. You can get it on the downloads page.
Also it is not always the best idea to use CGS subtract to make doors. It is to easy to cut into floors and ceilings. Construct your wall with blocks and leave an opening for the door. CGS is fun to use... I use it to cut out windows.
Good luck

A7 com core 2, 2gb ram, geforce 7600
Re: Doors? (Not CSG) [Re: christian] #230133
10/03/08 00:17
10/03/08 00:17
A
Angelus1818 Offline OP
Angelus1818  Offline OP
A

hey christian,

I thank you very much for the response! I am know pretty sure that I know what to do, but I'm going to run it bye you one time just to be sure....

I am pretty bent on using CSG subtract...I have only made holes in the floors once with it so I feel I can use it safely. So let me be sure on this...If I use the CSG method is this what I would do?

1: Make my room

2: Make another room to lead to

3: Make the doorway with CSG and leave a whole in the joining walls

4: Add another cube same thickness of both romm walls (so it doesn't stick out into the room) and then texture it and apply the "lift" code or my own sliding code.

Is that appropriate? I know you said not to do CSG but I can't help it lol it's the only way I know how to do it haha.

Thanks again so much for your help, really looking forward to your response.

EDIT:

I have another quick question: Do you know how to texture part of a floor or wall at a time, instead of the whole section? I don't want to make the whole floor one texture, I want it have different textures at the same time, but not in the same spot obviously lol. Thanks!

Last edited by Angelus1818; 10/03/08 00:21.
Re: Doors? (Not CSG) [Re: Angelus1818] #230193
10/03/08 16:31
10/03/08 16:31
C
christian Offline
christian  Offline
C

Well.. that is almost it.
The door has to be built and saved as a map entity before it can be assigned a code, what you have at this point is a block that won't move.
So with your technique what you must do now is select your door and get it into a new level. You can copy the door and paste it into a new level...this sometimes causes problems but usually works well and is safe. The way of the master game builder is to select the door and then delete the rest of the level eek Be very careful to save this under a completely different name or you will lose your entire level!
Once the door is in a new level position it to turn along the y axis and determine where the origin is. Build as a map entity and save. Open your original level and import the map entity. position door and assign code. the code already has a trigger and you can assign an external trigger and a key.
The way I prefer to do it is build all my doors first. Then I build the walls around them. Doors are one of the most important elements of an indoor level so I build the rooms around the doors.

Also, if I understand what you are doing you are ending up with two sets of walls were your rooms are joined and punching a hole through the two walls. You need to eliminate one of those walls, it serves no purpose.

Generally speaking there is no way to have different textures on one block face. A block can have six different textures...one for each face. So if you wanted to have a hallway floor with a strip of carpet down the center and tiles on the side you would probably use three blocks two on the sides with a tile texture, and one down the center with a carpet texture. You can get around this by using a sprite... one block with a tile texture and carpet sprite down the center. You have to decide if this is an efficient way to go.
The other perhaps best way is to devise a tillable texture that gives the appearance of having a carpet down the center but is all one texture.
It all determines how the level looks and the speed at which it will run.

Re: Doors? (Not CSG) [Re: Angelus1818] #230194
10/03/08 16:39
10/03/08 16:39
C
christian Offline
christian  Offline
C

OH... and the alternative to using CGS subtract is to build two wall blocks the hight of the door... separate them by the width of the door... and then stack another block on top of them to complete the wall.
The secret that no one wants to admit to is that level design is just an advanced game of Lego's grin

Re: Doors? (Not CSG) [Re: christian] #230226
10/03/08 20:18
10/03/08 20:18
A
Angelus1818 Offline OP
Angelus1818  Offline OP
A

Thanks christian,

I deeply appreciate all your help. I am about to send you a PM with my response wink

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de