Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/20/24 10:06
StartWeek not working as it should
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:32
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:30
folder management functions
by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
lookback setting performance issue
by 7th_zorro. 04/16/24 03:08
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/14/24 07:46
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (7th_zorro, Aku_Aku, 1 invisible), 579 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea, sakolin
19047 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Re: Bacteria evolve in lab over 20 years [Re: delerna] #231973
10/18/08 14:39
10/18/08 14:39
mpdeveloper_B Offline
Expert
mpdeveloper_B  Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: delerna
Sure, it certainly does that but If I said to you that creation is a THEORY would you apply that same rule?
I think the theory of creation also has many, valid "Scientifically" observable evidences in its favor, that it helps the actions of society and gives predictable results within certain constraints.

Here is just one "Scientifically" observable evidence
If archaeologists can pick up a stone and say, see the way its been chipped and worked to form this nice edge, designed as a cutting tool by ancient man. If they can conclude that the rocks shape shows evidence of design and therefore there must be a maker.
How can they then turn around and mock creationists for expressing that very same principle. That principle is either valid, or, it is not valid.
I see exquisite design in everything, all around me. I am forced to conclude that there IS a maker for what I believe to be a far stronger reason than the archeologist had.
If evidence of design prooves the rocks shape had a maker then the infinitely superior evidence of design in the universe and everything it it also prooves a maker.

How can anyone say that the THEORY of evolution dosn't need absolute proof to be believable and
then mock and insult the intelligence of a creationist for not needing absolute proof for believing in the principle of design necessitates a designer and a maker? Why dosn't the principle of "Seeing is believing" apply to evolution also?

Sorry not actually directing the "mock and insult" bit at you, it's more a general statement of observation.
Not that it worries me either, I see things the way I do and for the reasons that I have and if anyone thinks I am stupid for it then good.
I just see that many evolutionists will believe anything that a scientist tells them and not apply the same critical thinking that they encourage creationists to do.

laugh agreed, completely.

- aka Manslayer101
Re: Bacteria evolve in lab over 20 years [Re: NITRO777] #231988
10/18/08 16:34
10/18/08 16:34
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
No? So maybe you will place a pregnant woman 5 hrs a day under a radiation machine and see what kind of evolution happens when she has the child? eek

Radiation may sound dangerous and deadly and it is, but it's also what can cause mutations. Mutations are part of evolution, whether beneficial, deadly or neither doesn't really matter that much. A hazardous mutation might clean a population of a certain species from a previous genetic problem. Whether a mutation ultimately is positive or negative is often quite difficult to tell because of the gradual nature of evolution itself.

Quote:
The scientists in this article are trying very hard to find out what happened in the 20000th generation. Right now it is still experimental. Saying this is 'evolution before our very eyes' is a bait and switch tactic from the media.

True and I agree with you, but don't forget the media always has a strong tendency to exaggerate things like this. It works both ways and is why you can find articles or even headlines in newspapers saying the 'biblical flood' in the vicinity of Israel has been proven and similarly stretched and far fetched conclusions.

Quote:

Also according to the article, they_dont_know what happened. The citrate-processing ability may be due to the activation of a latent function. Thats why I posed so many alternatives. You should always look at alternative solutions and possibilities when you dont know something specifically.

Again I do agree with you, but science works a lot with best-guesses and interpretations of results when such 'accidents' happen. It makes sense not to rule out other less probably events for sure though,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Bacteria evolve in lab over 20 years [Re: NITRO777] #232040
10/18/08 23:35
10/18/08 23:35
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
Originally Posted By: TriNitroToluene
Quote:
What drives you here? Did they gain this ability by loosing some gens?
No, I just doubt that the gained ability to metabolize citrate is going to help the species survive.

If the ability to metabolize citrate is a property that makes a difference to similar species, it actually has been proven by those species that it is an advantage that helps to survive under certain conditions.

Quote:
And I dont know how they gained the ability. But there really is too much left out of the article to form a healthy hypothesis.

I don't think that 20 years of scientific evaluations, if they are worth the word 'scientific', can be presented in such a small article.

Although, I agree that the article gives not enough information to show why this is a prove of evolution.

Re: Bacteria evolve in lab over 20 years [Re: Pappenheimer] #232045
10/19/08 00:18
10/19/08 00:18
Taipei, Taiwan
PlaystationThree Offline
PlaystationThree  Offline

Taipei, Taiwan
Interesting article but 'evolutionary innovation has unfurled right in front of researchers' eyes'?

They speak of evolution as if it's a 100% proven fact. It's not even a scientific Law! And it can't ever be because all the data must agree with a theory to make it a law, and if even one little shred of information doesn't, the law is nullified.On that note Creationism cannot be PROVEN either.

What it boils down to then is choosing which idea you want to believe. I for one prefer a loving and forgiving God.

Edit:
By the way, love the writing dalerna...very poetic.

Last edited by PlaystationThree; 10/19/08 00:23.

Bet you don't know where Taiwan is lol.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation..." Psm 27:1
Re: Bacteria evolve in lab over 20 years [Re: PlaystationThree] #232049
10/19/08 00:35
10/19/08 00:35
Deutsch Niedersachsen
Puppeteer Offline
Expert
Puppeteer  Offline
Expert

Deutsch Niedersachsen
Originally Posted By: PlaystationThree
It's not even a scientific Law!

In my opinion it is definetly a logical consequence. Since it is proven that there are changes in the genetic material (and not only there btw) and because of those changes the species will die (faster) or have a better life.

I think there can't be any doubts at this point so far.
And that is evolution.
Of course if you believe in something non physical in cells or whatever which can't be changed you can't change one species into an other.
But i don't believe that something like this exists so evolution makes sense to me.

Last edited by Puppeteer; 10/19/08 00:36.

Formally known as Omega
Avatar randomness by Quadraxas & Blade
http://omegapuppeteer.mybrute.com
Re: Bacteria evolve in lab over 20 years [Re: PlaystationThree] #232051
10/19/08 00:39
10/19/08 00:39
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Quote:
They speak of evolution as if it's a 100% proven fact. It's not even a scientific Law! And it can't ever be because all the data must agree with a theory to make it a law, and if even one little shred of information doesn't, the law is nullified.On that note Creationism cannot be PROVEN either.

Heh heh. thats great! Your are going to make them angry about your use of the words fact and law, but I understand what you mean. It is not certain, it is not observable, noone should be think that it true with any measure of certainty.

No amount of semantic wrangling is going to make people believe that evolution is true, no matter how much of a vacuum word 'theory' happens to be.

Any theory has to rest on evidence, plain and simple. even if its 'only facts', any theory needs concrete facts to be believed, and evolution has no factual basis.

I am happy that Im not the only crazy creationist around here. God bless!

Re: Bacteria evolve in lab over 20 years [Re: NITRO777] #232060
10/19/08 07:55
10/19/08 07:55
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Is it not even a scientific law ?

This argument against evolutionism reminds me a cartoon, published on a scientific magazine some years ago

Two neadherthal men, Einstone and Simplestone, are watching the moon

Einstone : The moon must be much like our earth
Simplestone : Are you sure ?
Einstone : Well..apparently there are mountains and valleys
Simplestone : Why does it shine ,then ?
Einstone : Well ..It should reflects the light of the sun
Simplestone : Are you sure ? Why does it turn from yellow into red ?
Einstone : Well...I dont know
Simplestone : You see..it is just a theory
The moon is made of cheese
Einstone : Of Cheese ? are you sure ?
Simplestone : Of course, I am
It is what the wizard of our village said

Re: Bacteria evolve in lab over 20 years [Re: AlbertoT] #232089
10/19/08 10:58
10/19/08 10:58
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: AlbertoT
Two neadherthal men, Einstone and Simplestone, are watching the moon

Einstone : The moon must be much like our earth
Simplestone : Are you sure ?
Einstone : Well..apparently there are mountains and valleys
Simplestone : Why does it shine ,then ?
Einstone : Well ..It should reflects the light of the sun
Simplestone : Are you sure ? Why does it turn from yellow into red ?
Einstone : Well...I dont know
Simplestone : You see..it is just a theory
The moon is made of cheese
Einstone : Of Cheese ? are you sure ?
Simplestone : Of course, I am
It is what the wizard of our village said

A pretty much perfect analogy. There's more of evolution that can be readily observed than you'd think, pieces of the puzzle, but still,

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Bacteria evolve in lab over 20 years [Re: PHeMoX] #232094
10/19/08 12:20
10/19/08 12:20
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

Not only

Fundamentalista are hyper critic vs some actual flaw of evolutionism but they do not hesitate to accept any absurdities of creationism
Men and dino's living together
Fossils created by the devil
and many others amenities like that

Consider this point

Either evolutionis is true or creationism is true
There is not a third alternative, at least I dont see it
Driven evolutionism is of course just a version of evolutionism

The validity of evolutionism can be simply proved by exclusion

Last edited by AlbertoT; 10/19/08 12:23.
Re: Bacteria evolve in lab over 20 years [Re: AlbertoT] #232098
10/19/08 14:12
10/19/08 14:12
analysis paralysis
NITRO777 Offline
Expert
NITRO777  Offline
Expert

analysis paralysis
Right. Because it makes much more sense to believe that matter created itself and then evolved into a dinosaur. grin

Quote:
Either evolutionis is true or creationism is true
There is not a third alternative, at least I dont see it
I have considered this point ages ago and I agree with it 100%. Therefore in the absence of evidence of evolution or an origin of matter we must conclude that it was created. Good thinking. You have it upside down though. wink

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite