by 7th_zorro. 04/20/24 10:06
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, VoroneTZ, Quad, 1 invisible), 823 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 2
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed [Re: danthaman015] #23761
05/31/04 16:24
05/31/04 16:24
Internet
M
Melonenhund Offline
Melonenhund  Offline
M

Internet
In Antwort auf:

Mon Mar 01 2004 01:40 AM
Introduction is now complete!

In Antwort auf:

Mon Mar 01 2004 05:04 AM
CHAPTER 1 COMPLETE

In Antwort auf:

Wed May 26 2004 01:27 AM
Chapter 2 is complete

Well if you really want to write 23 Chapters, you should consider a better scheduling ...

I guess the name for this book will be something like:
TUSC - The Ultimate 3DGS Book

(for more information on the TUSC legend click here)

Would be happy if its something different.

Kindest Regards

Wuff!! Melonenhund
Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed [Re: Melonenhund] #23762
05/31/04 16:39
05/31/04 16:39
danthaman015 Offline OP
Developer
danthaman015  Offline OP
Developer

Well I simply can't schedule when I can be finished when writing stuff. Especially during the last few months. Some chapters will require more work than others. No this will not be another TUSC.

-Dan

**On break**

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed [Re: danthaman015] #23763
05/31/04 21:54
05/31/04 21:54
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
Even is this will not be another TUSC (and even the TUSC author stated his creation wasn't vaporware!) then there is something to learn from the TUSC thread. Actually, there are a few things:

1 - Telling the entire forum about what you are developing early on can be problematic (more on this in a moment)

2 - People at this forum really, really want cool things released (programs, books, etc) and get excited when they hear about potential projects

3 - These same people can get really, really upset when these projects don't come to see the light of day

When Conitec announced that a feature is going to be added or a new update is going to be released then most people don't wonder if this will occur or not. Why? Because Conitec has a track record. We have seen the releases and we know what Conitec is capable of. When someone else comes along and states they are going to do something like write a book and that this book will tell me how to succeed using 3D GameStudio and when that person has not succeeded themselves with a game made with 3D GameStudio ... then don't be suprised when someone starts throwing the name TUSC around.

I hope the best for you and your project. Surprise the more cynical members and actually complete this project.

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed [Re: Dan Silverman] #23764
06/01/04 02:29
06/01/04 02:29
danthaman015 Offline OP
Developer
danthaman015  Offline OP
Developer

Well I'm nearly 100% sure this thing will be all finished by Christmas time so these folks can have one more gift under the tree this year

-Dan

EDIT:

And also let's please cut down on referring my project to TUSC. It doesn't help motivate me, and also makes me paranoid about not finishing it...So just refrain from comparing TUSC and the book and there will be a better chance of seeing this thing .

Last edited by red_army014; 06/01/04 02:31.

**On break**

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed [Re: danthaman015] #23765
06/06/04 17:39
06/06/04 17:39
agreenknight Offline
Developer
agreenknight  Offline
Developer

Have you thought about conitec publishing this book, or showing it to conitec when they are finished?

Keep It Simple, Make It Fun
Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed [Re: agreenknight] #23766
06/12/04 01:59
06/12/04 01:59
danthaman015 Offline OP
Developer
danthaman015  Offline OP
Developer

Yes. I sent them an e-mail way back. They said they would have a link to buy the book on their website, they were also very supportive as far as helping with the book if I need some help.

**On break**

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed [Re: danthaman015] #23767
06/19/04 13:17
06/19/04 13:17
Oz
L
Locoweed Offline
Expert
Locoweed  Offline
Expert
L

Oz
Well, red_army014, I have faith in you, disregard all TUSC comments and get this book finished as soon as you possibly can without working yourself to death. As a matter of fact, comments refering to something like TUSC from someone who I have never seen contribute anything to the community what-so-ever enrages me. I have been around long enough to know a bit about who is who. So there is no question in my mind that this project will be in time for me to request it as a Christmas present. Of course, if one expects that 100% of all plannned projects will be completed, they are a fool. But if no company, even Conetic, never advertised what their expected product would be, they wouldn't exist. So, do you want no contributions? Or do you want 50% of planned contributions actually exist? Right now, I don't care, it's up to you. For those who who spend countless hours on their off time trying to make something happen out of consideration for the community, instead of fishing, some whoopie with the wife, whatever, we would like to know. What do you want? I personally will not sit here trying to help the community and get bashed if for whatever reason if can't complete my project. But to get bashed, even before my projected completion time by senior members is unexceptable to me. So use TUSC to destroy the 3DGS support community. Fine, if that's what you want, it's probably what you will get.

As to why Conetic has a fairly good track record, their employees (atleast programmers) are paid every month or bi-monthly or whatever, unlike others who contribute without any pay or get payed only when the project is actually completed. Even so, after all the years 3DGS has been out, only now is so issues like multiplayer finally becoming actually feasible.

If anyone expects someone to spend many hours of one's precious time doing something for free or upon completion without first seeing if there is interest and getting motivation, not 'you can't do it' criticism, from the community, alot of good learning tools that are now available would not be there. I am usually a big fan of Dan, but in this case I am not. Sure there are many projects that are not ever completed, but as long as you have been around Dan, I wouldn't think you would feed into the criticism of those who have consistantly over time made contibutions to the community. Grrr... not happy at all at the moment, need to count to 10 backwards. Anyway, the best tools I have found to learn with, are usually from contributions like red_army014 is try to compile. Please Don't Criticize someone who has been in the community along time and is trying to help! Counting to 10 backwards again. People like George with AUM and who is affiliated to my understanding with 3DGS have done much more for my learning than 3DGS documentation itself. I could list solo-non-payed-contributers for hours, but wouldn't even mention the office tutorial as a recommendation, I learned absolutely nothing from that tutorial when I started 3DGS, except how to be frustrated. Now, if I saw this post was created by the criticizer, MelonHead or whatever, with 38 post, I would question it. Sorry, I am so not a happy camper right I need to get offline before I get myself banned. I am just so seriously pissed after reading the last few post! Its no wonder projects by capable people are never completed.

Never listen to the nay sayers.
I say Yea, keep up the good work! If you need anything, let me know red. ANYTHING! Anything at all, I am there for you.

:steam from ears now cooling my temperature:

Best Wishes To You Red,
Frederick 'Locoweed' Sims

Professional A8.30
Spoils of War - East Coast Games
Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed [Re: danthaman015] #23768
06/19/04 22:25
06/19/04 22:25
Hamburg, Germany
slacer Offline
Expert
slacer  Offline
Expert

Hamburg, Germany
Hi red_army014,

while it may be hard for you to get your work compared with that old TUSC thing,
I hope you will finish your project successfully.

Some months ago, I announced a tutorial and wanted to finish it within about one month. Well, I jumped into two projects only one week later.
This thread has a high read-counter now, and I am still waiting for the beginning of those vapoware postings.

It is easy to attract those guys - just announce something they really want - and update your progress very frequently.
They get hungry very fast, and if your progress slows down ... the thing turns into a TUSC flame.

Well, sometimes I am one of those bad guys, too.

If you want - you don't have to - send a sample chapter as appetizer.
This should slow down their flame - and maybe they see themself on the wrong side on this issue.

But anyway - keep on working (at least for your self)

Very best wishes,
Michael

Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed [Re: slacer] #23769
06/19/04 22:54
06/19/04 22:54
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
My advice has always been to NOT announce these types of things until you are fairly far into the project. Then you have a better chance of completing it and less chance of anyone claiming "vaporware".

TUSC is funny, but at the same time it serves as a reminder.

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: 3DGS Book-Creating 3DGamestudio Games That Succeed [Re: Dan Silverman] #23770
06/20/04 00:28
06/20/04 00:28
USofA
fastlane69 Offline
Senior Expert
fastlane69  Offline
Senior Expert

USofA
Loco and Red,

Simma' don' na'....simma' don' na'....

Why get so upset over what a non-community member has to say?
Remember, to be a part of the community means more than simply registering your name.
It means that you are an active part of something larger than yourself, a group a people that stand by you and help. Now I ask, is a 38 poster a member of the community?
NO. NOT YET.
Thus why all the emotion over what a NOBODY has to say???

Red started off on the wrong foot by making GRAND claims to make the everything book on 3DGS. Now he's givin us a December deadline and that seems appropriate. If it does go by the way of TUSC, it sure as hell won't be a newbie nobody who points it out!!

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  HeelX, Tobias_Runde 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de