by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba, TipmyPip), 1,144 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious
19051 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Carrara 7 [Re: christian] #243692
12/31/08 12:11
12/31/08 12:11
R
Reen Offline
Reen  Offline
R

Originally Posted By: christian
Anyone here using Carrara?

Yes I do. The reason is more a traditional one anyway. I once started working with 3D using Raydream Designer and I just followed the product line and its successors since now so I am still with Carrara today although I tested many other apps during the years of course. The second reason is the already in this thread mentioned price. It is quite cheap but has a wide range of common functionality. Sure a hollywood highend 3d movie designer may not use Carrara because it is too limited, but up to a certain quality demand it just satisfies the needs. My personal problems with tools like Blender are some details that just don't fit for me, for example the hard to learn interface of Blender. So Carrara is for me a good compromise of sufficent functional range, ease of use and affordability.

Re: Carrara 7 [Re: Reen] #243963
01/01/09 22:35
01/01/09 22:35
C
christian Offline OP
christian  Offline OP
C

Reen are you using Carrara for original models? The majority of people seem to be using it to render poser content. It seems to be mostly used as a render engine and most people model in another app. I have not seen any good original models coming from Carrara but that may be because I have not had time to wade through all the images of Victoria in a bikini to find one grin
BTW the sale was extended, which either means that no one is buying or they never really intended to end the sale in December.

A7 com core 2, 2gb ram, geforce 7600
Re: Carrara 7 [Re: christian] #243968
01/01/09 23:26
01/01/09 23:26
R
Reen Offline
Reen  Offline
R

Originally Posted By: christian
I have not seen any good original models coming from Carrara

Well, I don't know how "good" is defined for you, but my work is completely original and always created from scratch indeed. I use Carrara only, from modelling to rendering or exporting for MED and I don't really like the "Poser way" of creation because imo this mostly looks like "made with Poser". wink

A recent project I was busy with the last years was my game project "Quintarium" which results from a series of study projects. It is a neat example for this topic because there where two major phases for the same target: one with a prerendered high-poly concept and one with a lowpoly realtime concept (which made it into a prototype finally). So it can be seen that there are very different objectives which I handled using Carrara.

You may view a small selection of examples from this project in my portfolio:

The high poly approach: http://www.buehling.org/show?id=quintarium

The low poly approach: http://www.buehling.org/show?id=quin7

Or see the game site itself: http://www.quintarium.de/

Oh I just remember I used Poser in that project at one point: The mouse cursor hand rendering is based on a Poser hand model. grin

Re: Carrara 7 [Re: Reen] #243994
01/02/09 02:11
01/02/09 02:11
C
christian Offline OP
christian  Offline OP
C

You have some "good" models on your site! smile
The thing that is interesting is that it is very hard to find images of anything other than props modeled in Carrara. Character models are hard to find. Of course many models aren't tagged with which software they are made with. If you look at the galleries on Daz they show 90% poser renders, same thing on renderosity. If you look at the maya galleries on renderosity it is almost 100% original. I know that it is unfair to compare Carrara and Maya but I still wonder why there aren't many people posting their models done in Carrara.
Yea I get tired of Poser art, though I admire the work of the original modelers. Poser art is everywhere, if you look at the blender galleries on renderosity, you will see that people are importing poser models into blender and making poser art... I find that very odd!
edit.... I found original character models on the DAZ WIP forums.... some of them are very nice!

Last edited by christian; 01/02/09 02:41.

A7 com core 2, 2gb ram, geforce 7600
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de