Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Trading Journey
by howardR. 04/24/24 20:04
M1 Oversampling
by Petra. 04/24/24 10:34
Zorro FIX plugin - Experimental
by flink. 04/21/24 07:12
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by EternallyCurious. 04/20/24 21:39
Scripts not found
by juergen_wue. 04/20/24 18:51
zorro 64bit command line support
by 7th_zorro. 04/20/24 10:06
StartWeek not working as it should
by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
folder management functions
by VoroneTZ. 04/17/24 06:52
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (vicknick, howardR, sleakz), 674 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 2
Page 50 of 67 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 66 67
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dan Silverman] #242365
12/22/08 17:23
12/22/08 17:23
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Originally Posted By: Dan Silverman
Literally the word means "no knowledge". The agnostic, then, is one that is more likely to say, "I don't know if there is a god or not" instead of saying, "There definitely is not any god."

Mmm, okey... I suppose I am struggling a bit with these definitions.

How would you define someone that admits there's 'no knowledge' or at least 'not enough' to really jump to a conclusion, but still is convinced that 'God' isn't an answer for sure? An agnostic atheist?

I mean it's one thing to say we don't have enough knowledge to know (for sure) and another to say you think 'God' could be one of many possibilities.

I'm obviously talking about opinions here as you can't exclude anything on beforehand when it comes to theory.

But then again we all know the 'spaghetti monster'-argument and where that leads to...

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: PHeMoX] #242378
12/22/08 19:59
12/22/08 19:59
Chicago, IL
Dooley Offline
User
Dooley  Offline
User

Chicago, IL
My wife is in labour...
Please pray for her wink

I will be back with some new insights soon.

There are, by the way, agnostic atheists, and agnostic theists. That's what I am. It centers around the idea that God cannot be proven or disproven, but we're taking our chances on God.

Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dooley] #242390
12/22/08 20:39
12/22/08 20:39
Virginia, USA
Dan Silverman Offline
Senior Expert
Dan Silverman  Offline
Senior Expert

Virginia, USA
Quote:
My wife is in labour...

I hope all goes well! Let us know how it goes and, of course, if it is a boy or a girl!

Quote:
How would you define someone that admits there's 'no knowledge' or at least 'not enough' to really jump to a conclusion, but still is convinced that 'God' isn't an answer for sure? An agnostic atheist?

From that definition, I would think the person was an agnostic. Again, the agnostic simply thinks they don't have enough knowledge to actually KNOW that there is a or is not a god or which one. The atheist ("a" = no and "theist" = god and, therefore "no god") says that there is not a god at all under any certain terms.

Quote:
So as long as the existence of god isn't proven we can't assume that he exists.

Lukas, couldn't that logic be turned around? Couldn't someone say, "So long as the existence of go isn't dis-proven, we cannot assume that he does not exist"?

Professional 2D, 3D and Real-Time 3D Content Creation:
HyperGraph Studios
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dan Silverman] #242395
12/22/08 21:00
12/22/08 21:00
Germany
Lukas Offline

Programmer
Lukas  Offline

Programmer

Germany
Originally Posted By: Dan Silverman
Quote:
So as long as the existence of god isn't proven we can't assume that he exists.

Lukas, couldn't that logic be turned around? Couldn't someone say, "So long as the existence of go isn't dis-proven, we cannot assume that he does not exist"?

No, because then we also had to assume that the invisible pink uncorn exists, that the flying spaghetti monster created the world and that you are guilty (no offense).

Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: PHeMoX] #242410
12/22/08 22:26
12/22/08 22:26
Nashua NH
heinekenbottle Offline
heinekenbottle  Offline

Nashua NH
Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
Originally Posted By: heinekenbottle
Agnosticism is my stand point. I challenge anyone to prove there is a god and I challenge anyone to disprove it.

Agnosticism often seems to deny some facts as well, as in what we do know. Agnosticism values more what we do not know yet or can't know.

When something is impossible to be proven, doesn't this just mean it's untrue by definition? I mean, apart from the mere existence of these kinds of theories, there's nothing -quite literally- that points in this kind of direction (a God etc.).

Cheers

I think, for me any ways, it is more in a belief that it is possible that there is a god out there beyond science's grasp. Am I still trying to cling on in some way? Perhaps.

I guess Aliens would be a good analogy. You can't say they exist, but you can't say for sure that they don't.

Last edited by heinekenbottle; 12/22/08 23:13.

I was once Anonymous_Alcoholic.

Code Breakpoint;
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: heinekenbottle] #242490
12/23/08 14:33
12/23/08 14:33
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:
I guess Aliens would be a good analogy. You can't say they exist, but you can't say for sure that they don't.

Well, it's really not quite the same, but yeah to some extent it's good analogy. Still the chance that we will find aliens, in whatever shape or form, is immensely bigger than finding an invisible God that according to some can not even be defined as a 'being'. Searches for a tangible God being will fail on beforehand.

You know, we actually have some ideas on where to expect (alien) life in our universe. That can not be said from God.

In my humble opinion God is just a somewhat clever idea from ancient times, designed to be an answer to certain questions, nothing more.

Oh, and what if we find aliens with superhuman powers? Would they qualify as 'Gods'?

Cheers

Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: PHeMoX] #242494
12/23/08 15:41
12/23/08 15:41
Nashua NH
heinekenbottle Offline
heinekenbottle  Offline

Nashua NH
Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
Quote:

Well, it's really not quite the same, but yeah to some extent it's good analogy. Still the chance that we will find aliens, in whatever shape or form, is immensely bigger than finding an invisible God that according to some can not even be defined as a 'being'. Searches for a tangible God being will fail on beforehand.

You know, we actually have some ideas on where to expect (alien) life in our universe. That can not be said from God.

In my humble opinion God is just a somewhat clever idea from ancient times, designed to be an answer to certain questions, nothing more.

Oh, and what if we find aliens with superhuman powers? Would they qualify as 'Gods'?

Cheers

I suppose that if we ever discover anything supernatural, then one of two things will happen:

1. Science will eventually explain it and then it becomes no longer supernatural. The Sun, for example, was once considered a god and is now known to be a thermonuclear fusion reactor, a main-sequence medium size star made of hydrogen and helium.

2. Science will fail to explain it and the debate will continue, the atheists claiming that science will explain it when other new technologies become available and theists claiming God.

I was once Anonymous_Alcoholic.

Code Breakpoint;
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: heinekenbottle] #242496
12/23/08 15:47
12/23/08 15:47
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Supernatural;

Quote:

1. Of or relating to existence outside the natural world.
2. Attributed to a power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces.
3. Of or relating to a deity.
4. Of or relating to the immediate exercise of divine power; miraculous.
5. Of or relating to the miraculous.

I take it you're talking about the 2. definition, but really things are only supernatural because of a certain lack of knowledge. It has been proven time and time again that things turned out to be explainable. Why would aliens be any different, even with superhuman powers?

Cheers

Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: PHeMoX] #242686
12/25/08 05:17
12/25/08 05:17
Chicago, IL
Dooley Offline
User
Dooley  Offline
User

Chicago, IL
The claim has been made that there is a God. That God communicated His will, and influenced entire societies into major changes. I'm speaking particularly of the ancient Israeli civilization, and the more recent Islamic civilization.

Both began with a single man, who made this claim. Now if those men are innocent until proven guilty, let's see your evidence.

With the Old Testament, it's easy to find contradictions and problems. However, these can easily be attributed to people who came afterwords, making changes either deliberately, or not. in fact, later parts of the Bible even state this clearly. That the scribes have made the Torah into a lie (Jeremiah 8:8) and that the Pharisees observe the laws of men, but disobey God, etc...

Why would the Jews, if they had made this book up, call themselves liars, and hypocrites in the same text?

Then Muhammad comes along with the Quran, which proclaims that the Torah and the Gospel were indeed revealed books, but that the Jews and Christians of later times had tampered with the texts. There are a lot more easy ways of starting a religion.

Before you all write back with bad things to say about Muhammad and Jesus and Moses, please remember we're here for science. You should provide evidence for anything you want to say.

Oh yeah... it's a girl! smile

Last edited by Dooley; 12/25/08 05:18.
Re: Q: Should creationism be taught in shools? -- A: YES! [Re: Dooley] #242694
12/25/08 06:47
12/25/08 06:47
Baunatal, Germany
Tobias Offline

Tobias  Offline

Baunatal, Germany
Originally Posted By: Dooley
Oh yeah... it's a girl! smile

Congrats! smile

BTW "Innocent until proven guilty" means that prophets really believed in their God and thus were innocent of lying.

You can feel God in your heart. This is of course no scientific proof and although I believe in God, I am not sure if He can ever be experienced outside our heart in some objective scientific way. I think God is a strictly personal matter.

Page 50 of 67 1 2 48 49 50 51 52 66 67

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite