by jcl. 04/20/24 08:38
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (EternallyCurious, AndrewAMD, TipmyPip, Quad), 889 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR, 11honza11, ccorrea
19048 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Lite-C Workshop confusion O.o [Re: Preypacer] #244002
01/02/09 04:47
01/02/09 04:47
Nashua NH
heinekenbottle Offline
heinekenbottle  Offline

Nashua NH
Quote:

So... if I'm understanding it right, the function of time_step is to control how far the object in question moves/rotates per second, based on the current FPS.

If that's so, then that's what I wasn't getting. I was trying to wrap my head around it as a function of controlling time... not distance. Maybe not the most accurate way to describe it, but if I have the basics right, then I guess it's good enough for me for now :-p

Correct.

An analogy:

You have two planets, planet A and planet B. Planet A has strong gravity and planet B has weak gravity.

Say I were to drop two equal sized steel balls at some altitude on both planets, somehow at the same time. And let air resistance be equal as well. Now in this case, the ball on planet B hits the ground sometime after the ball on planet A because of the weaker gravity.

If I wanted both balls to hit the ground at the same time, I'd have to somehow increase the speed of the ball on planet B or decrease the speed of the ball on planet A.

Time_step is this change in speed, and FPS is gravity.

I was once Anonymous_Alcoholic.

Code Breakpoint;
Re: Lite-C Workshop confusion O.o [Re: heinekenbottle] #244004
01/02/09 04:54
01/02/09 04:54
New York, USA
P
Preypacer Offline OP
Preypacer  Offline OP
P

New York, USA
Originally Posted By: heinekenbottle
Quote:

So... if I'm understanding it right, the function of time_step is to control how far the object in question moves/rotates per second, based on the current FPS.

If that's so, then that's what I wasn't getting. I was trying to wrap my head around it as a function of controlling time... not distance. Maybe not the most accurate way to describe it, but if I have the basics right, then I guess it's good enough for me for now :-p

Correct.

An analogy:

You have two planets, planet A and planet B. Planet A has strong gravity and planet B has weak gravity.

Say I were to drop two equal sized steel balls at some altitude on both planets, somehow at the same time. And let air resistance be equal as well. Now in this case, the ball on planet B hits the ground sometime after the ball on planet A because of the weaker gravity.

If I wanted both balls to hit the ground at the same time, I'd have to somehow increase the speed of the ball on planet B or decrease the speed of the ball on planet A.

Time_step is this change in speed, and FPS is gravity.

That's actually an excellent analogy. I'll have to remember that smile

Whew... okay.. got that one conquered...

On to the next challenge!

smile

Thanks again all

/bow

Last edited by Preypacer; 01/02/09 04:55.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de