by 11honza11. 04/30/24 08:16
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Ayumi), 795 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
firatv, wandaluciaia, Mega_Rod, EternallyCurious, howardR
19050 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 13 of 34 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 33 34
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: sueds] #255248
03/09/09 07:16
03/09/09 07:16
the future
N
nuclear_winter Offline
User
nuclear_winter  Offline
User
N

the future
lots of fun games here

also take a look at this MMO from Cartoon Network
fusion fall

Last edited by nuclear_winter; 03/09/09 08:01.
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: nuclear_winter] #255381
03/10/09 01:32
03/10/09 01:32
O
ortucis Offline
ortucis  Offline
O

Haven't heard of a single game off that list unlike GameStudio where I have actually bought many games (and read their reviews on major sites).

Probably cause it is Mac only but still, it will be interesting how the tools will work on Windows (remember how Safari turned out on Windows?).

Click to reveal.. (warning)
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: ortucis] #255407
03/10/09 08:59
03/10/09 08:59
VPrime Offline
Expert
VPrime  Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: ortucis
Haven't heard of a single game off that list unlike GameStudio where I have actually bought many games (and read their reviews on major sites).

Probably cause it is Mac only but still, it will be interesting how the tools will work on Windows (remember how Safari turned out on Windows?).

No need to be a total 3dgs fanboy. 3D Game studio does a lot of things right, but there are other tools out there.

I have not heard of 99% of the 3D Game studio games.. Does that make 3DGS any less of a tool and engine?

Up until A6, 3DGS had some of the WORST tech demos ever.. You can not always believe what you see.. You have to try the tools out for your self before you pass judgment.. I know right now you can't exactly do that if you do not have a mac (you can always build a hackintosh wink ) but don't shoot it down just yet..

As for the whole safari comment.. Really you cant even compare. They are complete different products made by complete different developers.
Plus Unity (the tools) would have to pretty much be rewritten from scratch for windows..

One thing I must mention, this is probably one of the best communities around. I have mainly been a lurker on the unity boards, but many questions go unanswered and the board overall is not very lively compared to here. I think this is one of the strongest points for A7... Right now I am in the process of choosing an engine for a college project and it is between unity(mac version) and A7.. If these forums did not exist my choice would have been made very easily...

Last edited by VPrime; 03/10/09 09:03.
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: VPrime] #255409
03/10/09 09:40
03/10/09 09:40
O
ortucis Offline
ortucis  Offline
O

Right, I don't even have a GameStudio license. As a gamer I have seen 3dgs games (you aren't a gamer, I can tell, you are just hurt that I said Unity games are in the unknown realm) out there, in Indie sites to sites which carry AAA content mostly.

Safari comment was how Mac > PC port isn't an easy job. Somehow I doubt it that Unity will make a flawless jump when even developers like Autodesk face countless issues with Windows only apps.

So don't get too emotional, I don't care about fanboyism to be one myself.

EDIT: Btw, what exactly has a tech demo got to do with 3dgs having more and better games out there? I am still evaluating 3dgs and waiting for Unity trial as well. I came to 3dgs without viewing overhyped marketing talk/fanboyism and didn't even run a tech demo. I started using the tool since I was already familiar with editors for Quake 3 games (while learning Lite-C of course).

In the end I found this engine not because of fanboy talk in forums (like Unity has here, there is no one recommending 3dgs in countless forums) but after playing games created on it. So I couldn't care less if Unity has a editor that makes games and washes dishes for you. In the end I am just evaluating like a new user. I will look at pros and cons and what has been produced (you can choose to ignore that if you want).

Last edited by ortucis; 03/10/09 09:46.

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: ortucis] #255427
03/10/09 13:18
03/10/09 13:18
VPrime Offline
Expert
VPrime  Offline
Expert

Originally Posted By: ortucis
Right, I don't even have a GameStudio license. As a gamer I have seen 3dgs games (you aren't a gamer, I can tell, you are just hurt that I said Unity games are in the unknown realm) out there, in Indie sites to sites which carry AAA content mostly.

Safari comment was how Mac > PC port isn't an easy job. Somehow I doubt it that Unity will make a flawless jump when even developers like Autodesk face countless issues with Windows only apps.

So don't get too emotional, I don't care about fanboyism to be one myself.

EDIT: Btw, what exactly has a tech demo got to do with 3dgs having more and better games out there? I am still evaluating 3dgs and waiting for Unity trial as well. I came to 3dgs without viewing overhyped marketing talk/fanboyism and didn't even run a tech demo. I started using the tool since I was already familiar with editors for Quake 3 games (while learning Lite-C of course).

In the end I found this engine not because of fanboy talk in forums (like Unity has here, there is no one recommending 3dgs in countless forums) but after playing games created on it. So I couldn't care less if Unity has a editor that makes games and washes dishes for you. In the end I am just evaluating like a new user. I will look at pros and cons and what has been produced (you can choose to ignore that if you want).

Ok, just by one post of mine (I can tell it is one post, as I think this is my first post in over a year) you know all about me and the fact that I am not a gamer.
As for being hurt about Unity games, I could care less... For me the best tool is the one to get the job done. One day it may be Unity, the next 3DGS. It is a program, I hae no emotional attachment wink

I know what you meant by the Safai comment, but really it has no real purpose. The two pieces of software are developed by 2 complete different companies, and are in complete different categories. They really cant compare. Also it is NOT a port.. The engine already runs under windows (you can compile games, and the cross platform web browser plug in).. And it runs pretty much the same as a mac compiled version. So they can clearly write proper windows software.
Also as I mentioned already the tools can not be ported over. They will pretty much have to remake the whole thing from scratch.

The tech demo comment was more about how you should not judge the tool set only by other peoples creations.. You know the old expression "don't judge a book by its cover" ? Same concept. You may not have not run any tech demo, but you have seen some compiled 3DGS games.. Just because they are nice (or not) does not mean you will have similar experiences. So hold off on judgment until you have actually tried the product.

You seem to already have the opinion that A7 is better in every way, but have not even tried unity.
The comments by people who support unity are not fanboys.. They are from people who have actually used it (mac version). They are sharing their own experience. Sharing how the work flow actually is better.. You don't need to take it as an attack. Other engines have been discussed on this board since the beginning. The discussions here are from both 3dgs users AND Unity.. They are not fanboys for saying one product is better than the other.

Fanboys are the ones who will love the product they chose to the very end. Denying all fact that there are better solutions out there.

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: ortucis] #255428
03/10/09 13:19
03/10/09 13:19
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

I use Safari and I am very happy with it. It is more stable than IE / Firefox and it simply looks better, fonts are more smooth and buttons do not have colored icons distracting from reading a website. It is just a better product.

Of course it does not have the same market penetration since it came late and because many users are lazy (IE is already pre-installed).
Unity might indeed experience a similar story. We will see.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: VPrime] #255437
03/10/09 14:29
03/10/09 14:29
O
ortucis Offline
ortucis  Offline
O

Originally Posted By: VPrime
The tech demo comment was more about how you should not judge the tool set only by other peoples creations.. You know the old expression "don't judge a book by its cover" ?

So, what you are saying is that I should not judge a game engine by the games that have been created using it?

So far I have played a SHMUP, a survival-horror shooter and even a isometric rpg title among others (there are lot more genres produced, mentioning few). All of them worked fine, not a single crash or slowdown, smooth gameplay (obviously the developers did a good job with tweaking that) and helped me see how A6 (they were created with A6) could be used in a range of genres and how it functions on my slow gaming PC's at work and at home.

Playing the content created by not only me but a lot more people than a small community helped me learn more about this engine. Helps you evalutate by showing off features? (ok, not all but according to the genres) I tried the engine after these games, I read the developer comments on forums on how most of them were created by people with almost no advanced programming language.

So after all that, excuse me for sounding like A6 (not 7) is the better engine, even though you are just assuming that I have decided that Unity sucks and is out of the competition.

If you want to learn more about the actual definition of fanboys, look for GarageGames on the net. You can learn a lot from what the 'users' of the tools post all over the net and the end result of the tools over the years.

Also, like I said, Unity was Mac only, and PC users don't suddenly decide to a buy an expensive machine just for a engine (worse if you are a team) especiall if they are Indie. That could explain why it doesn't have any recognizable games on the list (except for Fusion.. and I think Conan). It SEEMS that the Unity definitely has an edge with cross platform compatibility and better editors (esp. terrain). So yeah, I will wait for the trial in the end as well. I only was commenting on the games in the beginning, until you took offense to me.. commenting on games created with a game engine..?

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: ortucis] #255445
03/10/09 15:18
03/10/09 15:18
VPrime Offline
Expert
VPrime  Offline
Expert

My point was not that you shouldn't look at games with A6/A7 to see what the engine is capable of. The point was to look beyond the games. Sure the games give a rough idea of the capability of the engine, but really can any one create professional quality work?

Give most of the users here the Crysis engine, do you think they can reproduce the same quality as Crysis or Farcry 2? No..

So me taking "offense" (I am not really offended in any way) to you comment was more because you are basing decisions around unknown variables.

Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: VPrime] #255454
03/10/09 16:14
03/10/09 16:14
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

I agree with VPrime and we could add that you also should keep in mind how long a technology already exists on the market. A new technology of course cannot have the same amount of games like an old technology.
But if you look closely then you will realize that the growth rate of new games is very high at Unity.

This tells something about how fast new users get into the technology and how fast they can come to a result, not only a little template scene, but a working prototype or even a game.

Newcomers will get quite fast into scripting engines like GS or Unity. Hardcore coders will rather tend to program in C++ (C4, Torque, Irrlicht, Ogre).

And all this has nothing to do with Indies. If you watch the latest Indies especially in Germany creating adventure games then you see that they often use what works best for the project (Ogre, Wintermute). They do not fear a programming language like C++ as a barrier to give up their dreams or to accept lower quality.

But I understand that all this is another story for hobby users with very limited time. Then an easy to understand product with very intuitive editor like Unity is a good choice.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: Unity 2.5 for Windows - sooner than you think [Re: VPrime] #255456
03/10/09 16:26
03/10/09 16:26
O
ortucis Offline
ortucis  Offline
O

Originally Posted By: VPrime
My point was not that you shouldn't look at games with A6/A7 to see what the engine is capable of. The point was to look beyond the games. Sure the games give a rough idea of the capability of the engine, but really can any one create professional quality work?

Give most of the users here the Crysis engine, do you think they can reproduce the same quality as Crysis or Farcry 2? No..

I'll be honest with you, I still have no idea what you are trying to say. I was just commenting on the games produced and the reason for less games on Untiy (for Windows) being that most developers are Windows only (in other words, now that the tools are for Windows, we will see more titles for Windows).

As for Crysis bit, first of all, no one expects studio quality work from modding teams (since the 'users' will only mod, unless they are part of a bigger team with actual license). If you have the actual license for something like Crysis, you have a team of artists and programmers who will create quality work for you as well (if you don't, then.. umm, too much money?). So it still doesn't make any sense what you are trying to say..

Your posts read like you were defending Unity while getting offended at me talking about games out there for both engines (I never said even in first post that 3dgs is better, you assumed anyway). So you are just reading too much into my own comments in the end. I am just here to evaluate, am there on Unity forums for evaluation as well. I am only interested in best tool for the job in the end like you. So we are probably bitching about nothing..

Last edited by ortucis; 03/10/09 16:30.

Page 13 of 34 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 33 34

Moderated by  aztec, Blink, HeelX 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de